ADVERTISEMENT

DT Recruit on John Parrella

St. Anger

Assistant Head Coach
Dec 13, 2007
Per Mike Schafer:

Want to feel better about the John Parrella hire? Here's what a defensive line recruit who spoke with him over the weekend said:

“When I first started talking to him, you know how you can tell a vibe, I was feeling a great vibe,” he said. “I felt like I had know him for two or three years. I promise you he’s a good talker. We discussed how he was in the NFL for 12 years. We discussed how he knows the JUCO struggle and what I’m going through every day. He knows where I’m at. He’s been where I want to go. That really got me feeling good on the phone. Usually when I’m talking with a coach I’m on the phone for 10 minutes, but with coach Parrella we were on the phone for an hour and 10 minutes. Every second of it I enjoyed."

Per Mike Schafer:

Want to feel better about the John Parrella hire? Here's what a defensive line recruit who spoke with him over the weekend said:

“When I first started talking to him, you know how you can tell a vibe, I was feeling a great vibe,” he said. “I felt like I had know him for two or three years. I promise you he’s a good talker. We discussed how he was in the NFL for 12 years. We discussed how he knows the JUCO struggle and what I’m going through every day. He knows where I’m at. He’s been where I want to go. That really got me feeling good on the phone. Usually when I’m talking with a coach I’m on the phone for 10 minutes, but with coach Parrella we were on the phone for an hour and 10 minutes. Every second of it I enjoyed."
oh_yeah_obama.gif

Per Mike Schafer:

Not surprising, but nice to hear nonetheless. JP snapping necks and cashing checks.

Per Mike Schafer:

But, but, but.... he hasn't done this at a P5 school before! He can't be good at it!

Per Mike Schafer:

It's leap day, so go ahead an judge my over-excitement and getting-ahead-of-myself-ness all you want but this makes me STOKED!!!

Had to steer clear of the board for a few days because of this and the 30 for 30 stuff (I know you were being sarcastic though.)
It blows my mind how some think that recruiting is some ultracomplicated task that requires years of experience and hundreds of "connections" and that it changes dramatically from lower level college football to the highest levels. I would argue that coaches who have toiled at lesser profile schools may be better at it due to them having to fight that much harder to overcome a school's shortcomings! Mix a great personality, passion, ownership, and drive (i.e., John Parella) with a great product to sell (i.e., Nebraska) and that's one hell of a combination! The ability of JP to speak comfortably with teenagers, relate to them, and then mix in those other qualities will be productive - mark my words!

It blows my mind how some think that recruiting is some ultracomplicated task that requires years of experience and hundreds of "connections" and that it changes dramatically from lower level college football to the highest levels. I would argue that coaches who have toiled at lesser profile schools may be better at it due to them having to fight that much harder to overcome a school's shortcomings! Mix a great personality, passion, ownership, and drive (i.e., John Parella) with a great product to sell (i.e., Nebraska) and that's one hell of a combination! The ability of JP to speak comfortably with teenagers, relate to them, and then mix in those other qualities will be productive - mark my words!
Thank you; sometimes it is that simple, to quote a recruit - the vibe.

Reactions: blackbones
Sarcasm aside, he does not seem to be intimidated in going against the big boys for recruits.
Who is being sarcastic? It is my duty as a better Husker fan to point out the obvious, huge failures of our newest check-collector.

It's kinda early to see trends but we are tied with MSU.
That's great but doesn't tell the story of all the terrible programs ranked ahead of us... I'll bet even Oregon State is ranked ahead of us (although admittedly, I haven't checked)...

Per Mike Schafer:

That's great but who was the recruit. Is JP going to be able to get us another Suh or at least more VVs and Maliek Collins types as well as some dominant DEs

Im actually really, really impressed with Parella so far. You guys are right, he doesn't seem intimidated, he seems very engaged, he's young, he's not that far removed from being a huge NFL bada__, and he can really sell all of that. I also think it helps that we have a fairly recent history of having the most dominant defensive tackle in a generation coming out of our program; that guy used to win games (Missouri) on pure defensive savagery alone.

My younger brother never really took to Nebraska football back when the team was great, but even he said Nebraska's legacy of having a brutal, effective defense is one thing the program should pretty much always be able to sell NFL-caliber talent on.

Here's to Coach Parella landing some hardcore animals for our D-line ASAP!

Another day of check collecting. How long can we afford to let this guy purposely ruin the program???!!!

Another day of check collecting. How long can we afford to let this guy purposely ruin the program???!!!
I hear what you're saying, but the guy's only been here for what, 2 weeks? Let him get his feet under himself, geez. He deserves some time.

If we don't have any commits by St. Patrick's Day, throw the bum out!

What is this guy even doing???!!! It"s all media fluff. He doesn't even live in Lincoln! I heard his wife hates it here.

I think some of the is due to our former head coach acting as though recruiting was akin to a Colonoscopy

Reactions: headcard
Another week and all Parrella is doing is collecting checks....

Reactions: pajesp
I think we got a good one with Parrella, but all this recruiting stuff cannot just be on him. Parrella can get us in the game. Riley has to be the one to close. BTW, that original quote was from a JUCO recruit. Parrella has the background that'll help with recruiting those guys.

Facts are facts. Perhaps Parella is too old for the job. He is clearly only here to collect checks.

Tick tock tick tock tick tock.
So you prefer Hank Hughes? I guess all the coaches accept Williams and Bray should be fired since they are the only ones with recruits so far.

So you prefer Hank Hughes? I guess all the coaches accept Williams and Bray should be fired since they are the only ones with recruits so far.
Duh! That is the only logical thing to do! We need to start over with different former Huskers. This little experiment has proven to be a failure. He has had more than enough time to get at least a dozen recruits.

Duh! That is the only logical thing to do! We need to start over with different former Huskers. This little experiment has proven to be a failure. He has had more than enough time to get at least a dozen recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT