ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Brees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a former college athlete and I now have a career. I am a black male who just happens to have a lot of black friends who also have careers. We vent. I speak from experience.

Now you both enlighten me on why black people are so frustrated.

That’s it? That passionate post about being black and acting white, and this is what you respond with? That’s not even an answer. This is your chance, tell all the white people who don’t get it.

That’s it? That passionate post about being black and acting white, and this is what you respond with? That’s not even an answer. This is your chance, tell all the white people who don’t get it.
I envision some sort of badly written SNL skit with nerdy, clueless pencil pushers and their delicate sensibilities being offended.

None of this has anything to do with wanting to disrespect US Troops or the flag. How do so many white people keep missing the point. How can you still be complelety blind to the real issues!!

Outside of sports, black people do not feel equal in this country. Black people feel the need to be as "white" as possible in the business world because being black isn't acceptable. Black people are scared to death of any run in with cops as it may result in death. Black people feel like no one else understands whats going on. Kaep peacefully tried raising awareness around concerns but white people completey missed the point. NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN ABOUT THE FLAG OR OUR TROOPS!

How do you still not understand???

Since the peaceful protest (kneeling) only resulted in Kaep being unemployed and did nothing to shed light on any of the real issues, there now are protest, riots, and chaos in the streets. Black people want the country to notice their concerns. Black citizens want to feel like this is their country too.

Saying this is about disrespecting the flag and our troops shows that you are completely blind to whats going on or you choose to ignore the issues.

Explain what "feel the need to be as white as possible" means. Ive never heard it put in those terms so im curious what that looks like.

Explain what "feel the need to be as white as possible" means. Ive never heard it put in those terms so im curious what that looks like.

Think of it backwards, like a white guy living in a black neighborhood, when around black friends you speak like Eminem. When you are with white friends and family you speak like Ferris Bueller.

Check out Eddie Murphy's skit "White Like Me - SNL" on YouTube. It's a classic.

I have a nephew who served as a Navy Seal and fought for his country. He was part of a team that was involved with some pretty serious stuff years ago. His statement about Kaepernick kneeling was that the reason he and his mates fought for this country was more than anything else freedom. That included the freedom to protest even during the national anthem. I will go with his thoughts and beliefs before most other people as he put it on the line for his country.

None of this has anything to do with wanting to disrespect US Troops or the flag. How do so many white people keep missing the point. How can you still be complelety blind to the real issues!!

Outside of sports, black people do not feel equal in this country. Black people feel the need to be as "white" as possible in the business world because being black isn't acceptable. Black people are scared to death of any run in with cops as it may result in death. Black people feel like no one else understands whats going on. Kaep peacefully tried raising awareness around concerns but white people completey missed the point. NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN ABOUT THE FLAG OR OUR TROOPS!

How do you still not understand???

Since the peaceful protest (kneeling) only resulted in Kaep being unemployed and did nothing to shed light on any of the real issues, there now are protest, riots, and chaos in the streets. Black people want the country to notice their concerns. Black citizens want to feel like this is their country too.

Saying this is about disrespecting the flag and our troops shows that you are completely blind to whats going on or you choose to ignore the issues.
"acting white" isn't a white thing. It's the normal things human beings do. Being "black" is a mockery and a stereotype that black people should reject.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I am a former college athlete and I now have a career. I am a black male who just happens to have a lot of black friends who also have careers. We vent. I speak from experience.

because nothing changes in the black community. The perpetual victimhood status has stunted their community and ruined many young lives.

Being raised by single mothers compounded the problem exponentially.

People are more worried about pieces of fabric imported from a foreign country typically than actual human lives.

We take knees when kids are injured in youth sports, many take knees to pray to their God.

People take a knee to ask for someone’s hand in marriage.

Parents take a knee to check on or talk to our kids when they are small.

But somehow a black guy taking one during a song that literally refers to slavery in a now unsung verse threatens the very fiber of so many.

"acting white" isn't a white thing. It's the normal things human beings do. Being "black" is a mockery and a stereotype that black people should reject.
"Being "black" is a mockery and a stereotype that black people should reject." SCREW YOU!!

because nothing changes in the black community. The perpetual victimhood status has stunted their community and ruined many young lives.

Being raised by single mothers compounded the problem exponentially.
Tell me how you really feel about the black community!!!

I was raised by both parents. Dad is an engineer and mom is an attorney. My siblings and I all have college degrees and have successful careers. We have faced challenges you clearly know nothing about. We vent because that's what people do. But you keep on about how being black is a mockery.

I have zero issue with what Drew Brees said. Did he ask Michael Thomas for permission to give his opinion? Does it even matter? In the end, does Drew Brees’ opinion matter? I don’t think so. Two things can be true at the same time with both of those gentlemen and how they see that. How that is somehow divisive, in my opinion, is part of the overall problem and lack of communication with one another
The black community is missing critical leadership in local communities
Here in Omaha a black Pastor asked for his disagreement with the Governor of the state to go viral and in the same breath said it was justification for Omaha to burn.
The recent national protests, the kneeling is completely justified
The outcome hasn’t been anywhere close to what the goal has been
Senator Chambers had some valid points that he made today. The movement needs more like him in my opinion and less violent pastors running their mouth out of anger
As a fellow Christian hopefully someone in his congregation talked to him
The end goal is to treat others with respect
BigRedHunter, what is your goal and outcomes for what’s going on?
Much respect to you in this thread and to you personally
-Mike in Omaha

Yep its always been a bit of pet peeve. It's faux patriotism. Why do we need an anthem played before a marlins reds game? Super Bowl sure but other wise just play ball
At the Big Ten baseball tournament, the playing of the national anthem has been an interesting evolution through the years. I started attending the first year it was in Omaha. In the early years, it was only played before the first game of the day and always before the championship game (occasionally a Saturday game would get moved to Sunday morning due to weather throughout the tournament, so they would play it before both the delayed game and the championship). Then the Kaepernick et al kneeling protests began, and the following spring, the national anthem was played before each game. This has continued ever since with a few exceptions: when games were running late either due to extra innings, a ton of pitching changes, or weather (usually occurs on the days when four games are scheduled (the first two days)).

Not saying I agree one way or another, just find it interesting how it has evolved and the exceptions that are made (whether on purpose or by accident, I don't know).

The end goal is to treat others with respect
BigRedHunter, what is your goal and outcomes for what’s going on?
Much respect to you in this thread and to you personally
-Mike in Omaha
Thanks Mike.

My one personal hope is that white Americans stop thinking black Americans are frustrated and angry with the flag or the military. The flag and military are complete non issues. The real issue is we are afraid of cops. We are afraid of being profiled. We feel like we are 2nd tier citizens in our own country. We want people to know what's going on. We feel like this is still white America and not the great melting pot people imagined. We want a way to change our concerns.

Brees and others are making statements about the flag and the military when neither are remotely close to why people are marching or were kneeling. Black people are crying for help. There are real concerns. I wish they'd stop stop deflecting and pay attention to what's really going on.

What is “being black.” How do those black people who act white distinguish themselves from those who don’t act white. Mods, please keep this open.

I do wonder what those black people who don’t care for it are thinking, but they must just be trying to act like a white person.

Bump for @bigredhunter. Still wondering what a white person acts like, what “being black” is all about, and what black people do to act white, oh and how being black isn’t acceptable.

Talk about your stereotypes and racist comments

The media and politicians will never address the true cause of cyclical poverty and hopelessness among the poor, with special attention to the black community, and that is the breakdown of the family unit accelerated by the invention of the welfare state. Not interested in shaming or blaming any families that are single parent households, I came from it myself. We were working class poor, thankfully getting by with the support of family members, especially grandparents.

So, the absence of fathers in the home is devastating to poor families, making it incredibly difficult to rise above. This is proven statistically and through numerous studies.

I will never understand how the keyboard warriors of social media feel they have done more than Drew Brees who has been donating millions of dollars for nearly two DECADES to predominately black neighborhoods. His actions have spoken louder than people who type and just criticize on social media. It's delusional to call him racist.

Thanks Mike.

My one personal hope is that white Americans stop thinking black Americans are frustrated and angry with the flag or the military. The flag and military are complete non issues. The real issue is we are afraid of cops. We are afraid of being profiled. We feel like we are 2nd tier citizens in our own country. We want people to know what's going on. We feel like this is still white America and not the great melting pot people imagined. We want a way to change our concerns.

Brees and others are making statements about the flag and the military when neither are remotely close to why people are marching or were kneeling. Black people are crying for help. There are real concerns. I wish they'd stop stop deflecting and pay attention to what's really going on.

Isn't the police force made up of both black and white people? And roughly in proportion to the local population in those areas?

At the Big Ten baseball tournament, the playing of the national anthem has been an interesting evolution through the years. I started attending the first year it was in Omaha. In the early years, it was only played before the first game of the day and always before the championship game (occasionally a Saturday game would get moved to Sunday morning due to weather throughout the tournament, so they would play it before both the delayed game and the championship). Then the Kaepernick et al kneeling protests began, and the following spring, the national anthem was played before each game. This has co ntinued ever since with a few exceptions: when games were running late either due to extra innings, a ton of pitching changes, or weather (usually occurs on the days when four games are scheduled (the first two days)).

Not saying I agree one way or another, just find it interesting how it has evolved and the exceptions that are made (whether on purpose or by accident, I don't know).

Other than a double hitter in baseball, there always is the National anthem played before each game even in high schools... Not directed at you but mwulf comment about why do we need to play the anthem before games is a head scratcher.. It’s un America to not play it before games..

Other than a double hitter in baseball, there always is the National anthem played before each game even in high schools... Not directed at you but mwulf comment about why do we need to play the anthem before games is a head scratcher.. It’s un America to not play it before games..

Yup. Stop something because someone disagrees over what to do when it’s played? It just doesn’t get much better than this.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
"Being "black" is a mockery and a stereotype that black people should reject." SCREW YOU!!

Tell me how you really feel about the black community!!!

I was raised by both parents. Dad is an engineer and mom is an attorney. My siblings and I all have college degrees and have successful careers. We have faced challenges you clearly know nothing about. We vent because that's what people do. But you keep on about how being black is a mockery.
"Being black" is such a racist and condescending term. The idea that black people have to have a check off list is one of the most insane and racist things ever. Are black people from other parts of the world not black if they don't act exactly like American blacks? Mental slavery of the highest degree. Sounds like something Jim Crow Joe Biden would say.

Single motherhood isn't exclusive to the black community but continues to be a driving force.

This kinda explains why it started... When I was teaching in Texas they would also play the black national anthem during black history month https://www.vox.com/2016/9/3/12774172/colin-kaepernick-national-anthem-why

Thanks Mike.

Well, no white person I know thinks that, and I don't think Brees thinks that either. It's a matter of respect, period. Everybody on the planet knows why CK was kneeling. There is no "deflecting." I think someone asked him a question about it and he responded in a calm and intelligent and respectful way. Everybody knows why CK did it, they just don't like it because of what the flag stands for for them. He thinks it is disrespectful, even if that's not the intent. I'll bet you a thousand bucks Brees is behind equal rights for all individuals. Just because he doesn't agree with the way he's doing it, it doesn't mean he is against the desire for equality.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Well, no white person I know thinks that, and I don't think Brees thinks that either. It's a matter of respect, period. Everybody on the planet knows why CK was kneeling. There is no "deflecting." I think someone asked him a question about it and he responded in a calm and intelligent and respectful way. Everybody knows why CK did it, they just don't like it because of what the flag stands for for them. He thinks it is disrespectful, even if that's not the intent. I'll bet you a thousand bucks Brees is behind equal rights for all individuals. Just because he doesn't agree with the way he's doing it, it doesn't mean he is against the desire for equality.

Amen, well said... It was just bad timing to make a comment at this time when everyone is up in arms over George Floyd’s death...

Reactions: leodisflowers
This is from Drew.....

I would like to apologize to my friends, teammates, the City of New Orleans, the black community, NFL community and anyone I hurt with my comments yesterday. In speaking with some of you, it breaks my heart to know the pain I have caused.

In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country. They lacked awareness and any type of compassion or empathy. Instead, those words have become divisive and hurtful and have misled people into believing that somehow I am an enemy. This could not be further from the truth, and is not an accurate reflection of my heart or my character.

This is where I stand:

I stand with the black community in the fight against systemic racial injustice and police brutality and support the creation of real policy change that will make a difference.

I condemn the years of oppression that have taken place throughout our black communities and still exists today.

I acknowledge that we as Americans, including myself, have not done enough to fight for that equality or to truly understand the struggles and plight of the black community.

I recognize that I am part of the solution and can be a leader for the black community in this movement.

I will never know what it’s like to be a black man or raise black children in America but I will work every day to put myself in those shoes and fight for what is right.

I have ALWAYS been an ally, never an enemy.

I am sick about the way my comments were perceived yesterday, but I take full responsibility and accountability. I recognize that I should do less talking and more listening...and when the black community is talking about their pain, we all need to listen.

For that, I am very sorry and I ask your forgiveness.

Making it about"disrespecting the troops" is just an excuse. It's stealing back the outrage so you have a convenient reason to ignore and discredit them.

The ask from the movement is an end to making excuses and sweeping it under the rug when cops commit crimes.

If you watch the video of George Floyd being asphyxiated for damn near 9 minutes and your take-away isn't "we should all be demanding that man be charged and convicted for murder" then I don't know if there are words that can help you. They executed him then and there for allegedly spending a counterfeit $20. Killed him slow while he begged for his life.

If that's not your #1 priority that cops shouldn't ever do that it speaks volumes about what you value more than a person's life.

You boys on this board get all pumped full of righteous indignation about the idea that anyone would suggest anyone else is racist. WTF do we call it when they're like "I fear every day that cops can just kill me for driving a car" and you're like "You shut up and stand for that flag!!!"

Not being racist is a duck test, you don't just say "I'm not racist" and it's all good. If you always have an excuse to dismiss and discredit the culture and desires of people who look different than you, guess what? You walk like a duck.

Nobody is even at sporting events right now, there's no anthem being played, nothing to stand or not stand for. And Drew went out of his way to bring that up. To use his platform to stand up for the other white people in his life.

God damn boys it isn't hard to just say, "I'm against police brutality and I'm against racism." It's when you get a case of the 'yeah buts' that people start to wonder if maybe you know white people are on top in this country and maybe you like it that way.

Drew has done some amazing things for the communities in and around New Orleans. This is just one occasion where he would be wise to listen to teammates and community leaders to fully understand why kneeling isn't remotely disrespectful.

I think if we have learned anything during all of this, it is the fact of you do not get to tell some one what does or doesn't offend them.

Still it is pretty hard to believe that he said that about the confederate flag.

Nice rant Beav. Bottom line, you spit in the face of every person (and their families) who has died defending this country when you dishonor the flag by using it as an inflammatory prop to gain awareness to your cause. We get that it is freedom of speech, that it is allowed, but you can't tell another person how to feel about it or respond to it while painting them as racist and insensitive. That is corrupt.

The cause of black lives matter and the issue of excessive police force is harmed by every person who has the gall to stupidly lie through their teeth and tell people that it's not really about the flag and the troops. They DO NOT get to pour their own meaning into symbols and tell us to shut up. We have a say in this.

Nice rant Beav. Bottom line, you spit in the face of every person (and their families) who has died defending this country when you dishonor the flag by using it as an inflammatory prop to gain awareness to your cause. We get that it is freedom of speech, that it is allowed, but you can't tell another person how to feel about it or respond to it while painting them as racist and insensitive. That is corrupt.

The cause of black lives matter and the issue of excessive police force is harmed by every person who has the gall to stupidly lie through their teeth and tell people that it's not really about the flag and the troops. They DO NOT get to pour their own meaning into symbols and tell us to shut up. We have a say in this.
So the actual vets who tell you they have no problem with it, their opinion is invalid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT