ADVERTISEMENT

Drake Martinez

Not sure how I feel about Drake effectively transferring in-conference without having to sit out the usual league-rule 2 years. He got a waiver on that one.

He was at Saddleback college for one season, so effectively he went from Nebraska to Michigan State and only had to sit out the single season.

The fact that he spent the year in JuCo instead of at MSU was the basis for the waiver, but in the end he made the same transfer just in two steps instead of one.

He was at Saddleback college for one season, so effectively he went from Nebraska to Michigan State and only had to sit out the single season.

The fact that he spent the year in JuCo instead of at MSU was the basis for the waiver, but in the end he made the same transfer just in two steps instead of one.
This is a stupid rule to begin with. If they allow graduate-transfers to move within conference with ZERO penalty, 2 years is absurd.

Hope he does well for Sparty (except when he plays the Cornhuskers). Taylor did some incredible things here and left us with some amazing highlights. Drake will probably do the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerj12
This is a stupid rule to begin with. If they allow graduate-transfers to move within conference with ZERO penalty, 2 years is absurd.

I think there is some sort of bylaw that staes something like..."If a Pelini is involved, please disregard rule #1". Or something like that.

He's going to be great. I wrote that when Nebraska recruited him. He's one of the best athletes in college football right now.

Players like him illustrate how far Rivals and other services have to go when ranking athletes.

Coaches often only offer players based on how they will fit positions of need. There is often debate about where guys project. That can keep the number of offers down.

But it shouldn't keep the recruiting services from ranking more elite athletes accordingly.

I'll reserve judgement until he actually plays. I wish him the best and hope that he is a team player.

GBR

Taylor and Drake both say that Drake is faster. If true, that's really fast.

As for the rule, the 2-year wait to play after a transfer is a fairly stupid rule, but it IS a rule and if the conference is going to have the rule at all I'm not sure how this merited a waiver.

He's going to be great. I wrote that when Nebraska recruited him. He's one of the best athletes in college football right now.

Players like him illustrate how far Rivals and other services have to go when ranking athletes.

Coaches often only offer players based on how they will fit positions of need. There is often debate about where guys project. That can keep the number of offers down.

But it shouldn't keep the recruiting services from ranking more elite athletes accordingly.
Too bad he couldn't go directly to the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT