ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Marrone to Saban Rehab

Not in America!

This is a no brainer, still getting paid from the NFL and now takes an easy gig with no real stress.

It’s easy to forget he was moderately successful at Syracuse as head coach. Perhaps he can work his way back up to a power 5 head coach in a year or two.

It’s easy to forget he was moderately successful at Syracuse as head coach. Perhaps he can work his way back up to a power 5 head coach in a year or two.

True plus these doods all take care of each other. Do you know how many times they sit around laughing, drinking and saying things like "I still can't believe I get paid what I do"...ALL THE TIME.

These guys are HS football coaches with a crazy salary...

Mario Verduczo is a brilliant coach who learned under Bill Walsh. Nebraska is lucky to have him.
AncientGrimIrishredandwhitesetter-size_restricted.gif

Not in America!

This is a no brainer, still getting paid from the NFL and now takes an easy gig with no real stress.

Not sure I’d call being a D1 offensive line coach, under Saban,a stress free job.

But I do agree that it’s a smart move for Marrone if he plans on getting back into the college ranks. He’ll get another pretty good HC job within a couple years.

Reactions: dinglefritz
These guys are HS football coaches with a crazy salary...
So true. It's all about career path with luck and good connections sprinkled in. Give some of these really good high school coaches their resources and let them work full time on their craft, and we would soon find out that there is nothing special about 80% of coaches in the college and pro ranks.

So true. It's all about career path with luck and good connections sprinkled in. Give some of these really good high school coaches their resources and let them work full time on their craft, and we would soon find out that there is nothing special about 80% of coaches in the college and pro ranks.

I disagree. The bottom 25% in college though...YES!!

I disagree. The bottom 25% in college though...YES!!
I think you're giving college coaches way too much credit. I'm not saying that all of the "really good" high school coaches (top 5% in my mind) would be as successful as Lombardi, Wooden, Urban Meyer or even a Bill Snyder, but they would easily do as well as a lot of these journeymen college and pro coaches who are only at that level because they started at that level.

Mario Verduczo is a brilliant coach who learned under Bill Walsh. Nebraska is lucky to have him.
over the years there were little moments where you could get a sense of the guy and his coaching style, and I don't doubt he is intelligent and logical in what he teaches, but there was something that rubbed me the wrong way a few years back, in that what he was teaching seemed so 'book smart' that it took the athlete part out of the equation, and I thought what he was saying at the time actually hurt the QB from just going out there and making a play. I wish I could remember the exact situation, but I do remember at the time, I felt we didn't want to crush a player's ability to just go make a play, make something happen, and what he was saying at the time, really irked me. I remember it was the spring game with Gebbia and he had to ad lib something, and got crushed by the coach for it, and the explanation was more text book ideal world situation and I didn't like him coming down on the kid for trying to make a play when the play didn't work as was drawn up.

anyway, I don't know if the guy is a good coach or not.. I'm not sure we have seen a whole lot of development at the QB position, but is it the coach or the player?

over the years there were little moments where you could get a sense of the guy and his coaching style, and I don't doubt he is intelligent and logical in what he teaches, but there was something that rubbed me the wrong way a few years back, in that what he was teaching seemed so 'book smart' that it took the athlete part out of the equation, and I thought what he was saying at the time actually hurt the QB from just going out there and making a play. I wish I could remember the exact situation, but I do remember at the time, I felt we didn't want to crush a player's ability to just go make a play, make something happen, and what he was saying at the time, really irked me. I remember it was the spring game with Gebbia and he had to ad lib something, and got crushed by the coach for it, and the explanation was more text book ideal world situation and I didn't like him coming down on the kid for trying to make a play when the play didn't work as was drawn up.

anyway, I don't know if the guy is a good coach or not.. I'm not sure we have seen a whole lot of development at the QB position, but is it the coach or the player?

Nebraska fans don’t like Mario because he wears cool glasses and smokes cigars.

Yes, rigid textbook paralysis by analysis. McKenzie Milton was a rare player that is very smart and could fit in their system.

It is true. I once had a varsity HC tell me that if you want to get good at coaching, coach JV teams, because there is so much teaching that goes on.

The college coaching game is sort of like old time USA...you graduated HS and went to work for Union Pacific and you paid your dues and in 20 years you were making really good money.

College coaching is that, you get in early, you pay your dues and you hope to catch on.

Reactions: Dean Pope
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT