ADVERTISEMENT

Donte Williams close to filling coaching vacancy

Even though I know next to nothing about this guy, the signs point to this being a very welcome development.

Reactions: headcard
Wonder if this means Banker won't coach safeties and maybe oversees special teams instead of focusing the extra time on the safeties.

Seems like a good guy to have on our side.

Wonder if this means Banker won't coach safeties and maybe oversees special teams instead of focusing the extra time on the safeties.

I would assume he takes over the Safties. Who knows what they plan on ST, they could always divide it up or MR could take it over. NCAA is probably going to add an additional coach this off season as well.

Exactly what I was hoping for, a big time recruiter. That article also mentions how much his position groups have improved under him as well so it sounds like may be getting much more than just a big time recruiter. Hope they can lock him up!!!

Let's say he does help with defense.

What would that put the current number of assistants on offense vs on defense? (Not GAs but the 9 allowed assts)

4 vs 5?

The in spring bump Tavita up if another coach is allowed?

One would think that hiring a primarily defensive guy in this spot would indicate it's basically a done deal that there will be a 10th coaching position available to all teams.

I'm wondering about Brian Stewart taking over the Read role. He has coordinator experience in both college and the pros. Then the new guy taking over corners or safeties or both.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Reminds me of Switzer's old "it ain't the X's & O's, it's the Jimmy's & Joe's" comment. Moves like this indicate that RIley gets it. He's been very loyal to his friends on staff but he should want to leave a legacy as a winning coach. Smart move. Donte Williams appears that he'll be able to really add to our growing recruiting uptick.

GBR

Reactions: husker56
I'm wondering about Brian Stewart taking over the Reed role. He has coordinator experience in both college and the pros. Then the new guy taking over corners or safeties or both.

I agree that something could be going on with Stewart with this hiring.

From the HOL article and the video above, DW looks like a great secondary coach.

Reminds me of Switzer's old "it ain't the X's & O's, it's the Jimmy's & Joe's" comment. Moves like this indicate that RIley gets it. He's been very loyal to his friends on staff but he should want to leave a legacy as a winning coach. Smart move. Donte Williams appears that he'll be able to really add to our growing recruiting uptick.

GBR

With only having 15 commits so far, the sooner he gets here and starts recruiting for us the better so he can have some influence on the current class.

The HOL article looks a LOT like an article written when DW was hired at Arizona, but that article had more info:

Williams began his coaching career in 2007 as an assistant coach at Los Angeles Harbor College. He also worked one season each at El Camino College (2008) and Mt. San Antonio College (2009). In 2012, Williams completed a summer coaching internship with the Seattle Seahawks. Prior to the start of the Spartans' 2014 camp, he was a guest coach in the New Era All-Star Game in Japan.

The 2006 Idaho State University graduate played college football at Syracuse in 2003 and Idaho State in 2004 and 2005. Professionally, Williams played two seasons in Arena Football League 2 (AF2) for the Rio Grande Valley Dorados (2007) and Arkansas Twisters (2008). He was a first-team all-league player and a defensive team captain in each of his two seasons.

GBR
Am I the only one who wonders if the plan is for Langs to be handed the keys when Riley eventually retires?

It could be Langs...really I'm much more focused on the Riley tenure still and not who will come after. Hopefully we won't be worrying about that issue for another 10 years...

GBR

Reactions: HuskerO and WHCSC
With the top notch facilities that we have he'd be a great fit and I think would do an outstanding job at UNL!

Wait, Shatel said in his article that some many agreed with, that Nebraskas facilities are on par with everyone else's?

I also think it is very savvy to go get a guy like this with our current opening. After the NCAA approves the 10th coach in the Spring, it is going to be free for all on assistant coaches and it will be much more difficult to land a guy like this with 100+ vacancies out there.

I also think it is very savvy to go get a guy like this with our current opening. After the NCAA approves the 10th coach in the Spring, it is going to be free for all on assistant coaches and it will be much more difficult to land a guy like this with 100+ vacancies out there.

Nice thought. I bet you are right.

So will schools pay individuals less to keep their total coaching staff salaries down or will that not make a difference at all?

Kind of what I was wondering.

Won't matter for the big boys. Big Ten teams are going to collect ~$45M next year from conference media/bowl contract. At least that's per data Univ of Iowa report they released when talking about their stadium upgrades. Paying D Williams $250K+ in scratch can be handled.

Seems like Williams is in on some guys for Arizona including Joseph Lewis. I grabbed a section of an article from a Wildcat site and pasted below. Article is from August 2016

"Despite having 26 commitments in this class, inflating their national rankings, there are still plenty of big targets that U of A can close on, including 5-star wide receiver Joseph Lewis, 4-star corner Thomas Graham and 3-star defensive end Odua Isibor. Don’t count 4-star defensive end and USC commit Hunter Echols out either, who I’ll have more on later."
http://www.azdesertswarm.com/recrui...l-recruiting-donte-williams-leading-a-new-era

Reactions: TheBeav815
I honestly can't remember when the established staff brought in what was thought of as a 'home-run hire' in a new assistant coach? This is fun.

I read he was offered the passing game defensive coordinator position. Pay will be about $400k. Suppose to decide "soon" but Riley wanted it done now so he can get be recruiting for Nebraska before the Dec 12 dead period.

ADVERTISEMENT