ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t take the bait

I completely understand this position. But a one TD loss in Norman to #3 OU is better than a loss to otherwise winless Illinois in Champaign (which is inexcusable).
But having both losses in the first 4 games of the season is pretty terrible.

If Frost wants any chance of not dangling by a thread to keep his job, he needs to take care of the problem now, not in the off-season. OL, QB, and maybe even the RB coach should all be replaced by Monday and bring in a guy who knows special teams.

Damn, you seem like a heady rational guy that isn't guided by your emotions.

When do you start your Senate campaign in Nebraska?

If Frost wants any chance of not dangling by a thread to keep his job, he needs to take care of the problem now, not in the off-season. OL, QB, and maybe even the RB coach should all be replaced by Monday and bring in a guy who knows special teams.
I'm open to staff changes. I'm not sure if I want to see the staff gutted. But the OL coach should be fired at season's end. Also, special teams. Good lord, this is Year 4. Frost needs to be accountable for everything. It's his job.

You’re too into your feelings man
2014 bowl game
USC
Bo’s defense gave it up through the air and on the ground
45-42 loss against a PAC 12 team

Regular Season 2013
16th ranked UCLA 41 Nebraska 21
Brett Hundley throws for 294 and 3 TDS

Bo’s defensive genius wore thin on me through the years. And it didn’t last at LSU either last year, although it was a weird year last year
Honestly his defenses didn’t hold opponents in alot of big games
I give credit to the Blackshirts today.

Do you want Bo’s stats from the bowl loss to Georgia in 2012 or should I stop? That game was a 45-31 loss

By the way you’re looking at it wrong, good defenses stop the run
If you look at the top defenses in the NFL, the top ones have the highest ratio of an opposition trying to funnel their offense through the passing game against them.
Thats the hallmark of a solid defense
Bo’s defenses couldn’t stop the run or pass consistently, especially with his own recruits
Bo didn't even coach the USC game, so that's a pretty bad example.

Damn, you seem like a heady rational guy that isn't guided by your emotions.

When do you start your Senate campaign in Nebraska?
I wanted him to do the same thing after week 1, and quite frankly the off-season. The longer he holds off, the worse the results will be.

I'm open to staff changes. I'm not sure if I want to see the staff gutted. But the OL coach should be fired at season's end. Also, special teams. Good lord, this is Year 4. Frost needs to be accountable for everything. It's his job.
What's the point of waiting until the end of the season when you know a guy is failing miserably at his job? If you were completely ****ing up at your job and costing your employer money, do you think they'd wait until the end of the year to fire you? No, they'd can your ass that week. The expectations should be even higher when you're making 6 figures. It's not without precedent either. Louisville went through like 4 OL coaches in one year under Bobby Petrino until they found the right one.

What's the point of waiting until the end of the season when you know a guy is failing miserably at his job? If you were completely ****ing up at your job and costing your employer money, do you think they'd wait until the end of the year to fire you? No, they'd can your ass that week. The expectations should be even higher when you're making 6 figures. It's not without precedent either. Louisville went through like 4 OL coaches in one year under Bobby Petrino until they found the right one.
I'm not a fan of replacing mid-season. Patrino is a d-bag. I don't want that kind of mentality. It's a thought that I'm going to put with the others. Frost has to do something. It doesn't take 5 years to build a winning program. Not with this talent.

Exactly! We have talent, but the lack of coaching is frankly breathtaking at times. We should have won that game, period. How many times have we said that in the past 10 years (and especially during the Frost era)?
Talent and development are on the way up. I think we need to take a hard look at our offensive assistant coaches, but keep building. Should have won games are way better than getting our shit kicked in. Outside of a few games, in Frosts tenure, you could say we should have won. Callahan, Pelini, and Riley all had bigger margins in losses. I see a team that needs some tweaking not wholesale change

The goal is not to get Frost fired. The goal is for him to be.500 or better. If not he fires himself. It’s year 4. By year 4 having a .500 season is absolutely a necessity. And I don’t care if we do have a challenging schedule. We’re not shooting for the moon. Simply .500.

Moral victories are fine if you build on them.
Not in year 4

Reactions: Big10domination
Wouldn't be against canning Austin and finding a true special teams coach right now. Couldn't get much worse.

Defense is good enough to contend for a B10 title.

We have dudes at WR/TE, and arguably the best QB in the conference.

Extremely difficult to overcome a poor OL and absurdly pathetic special teams.

Yes sir, that sounds 100% correct imo. Those two problems are just brutal as hell.

Remember, he's the run game coordinator too.
You can't have a run game without a decent o-line. If I were him, I would resign. He's just embarrassing himself. Gtfoh.

You're giving their #3 preseason ranking way too much stock
It isn't a "preseason ranking" anymore. We're 4 games in and they're still #3. Granted maybe they haven't been tested much yet but they're #3 until they get beat. I'm not sure they'll lose a game before the end of the regular season.

Yes, I like that idea bigtime!
Frost needs to quit being one of the boys and quit pretending like he's one of the QB's throwing passes at practice, and coach the QB's and let the young ones get as many reps as they can to develop arm strength. Time for him to grow up and admit his playing days are over.

Nah, most of thought we were gonna get murdered, including me, so as far as the game itself we're content. Now as far as looking to the future, people are saying "look at the improvement" without seeing the big picture of a lot of things. They're also forgetting we said the same thing after the end of frosts
Not in year 4
It applies to even great teams. There isn’t a time limit on getting better.

The Ohio State coach demoted the DC last week to observe up in the booth, and promoted the secondary coach to calling the defensive plays Saturday.
Now there is talk that they are dissatisfied with their young QB and looking to make a change.
That's one of many differences that are obvious. Ohio State sees trouble coming down the road and is taking steps NOW in making changes. It may or may not work, but at least he's willing to seek improvement.

True enough sir.....true enough.
I can't imagine there's another P5 team in the country starting 2 redshirt Freshmen at OT. We've got 3 new starters on our O line this year. We maybe shouldn't be so surprised that they're struggling at times early in the season. I was really concerned about our newest OT but he's really not playing that badly for his lack of experience and physical maturity. Those two guys I believe will be really good by the time they're seniors. JMO. I guess I'm a glass half full guy when it comes to our O line.

Reactions: bshirt73
The Ohio State coach demoted the DC last week to observe up in the booth, and promoted the secondary coach to calling the defensive plays Saturday.
Now there is talk that they are dissatisfied with their young QB and looking to make a change.
That's one of many differences that are obvious. Ohio State sees trouble coming down the road and is taking steps NOW in making changes. It may or may not work, but at least he's willing to seek improvement.
Did you watch OSU's game yesterday? Tulsa was moving the ball pretty well on their D. I think losing Proctor at safety was a big deal for them. They have extreme talent but they still have to get new starters ready every year and sometimes talented kids aren't mentally ready for the big time. Day is no doubt shifting the blame for their loss to Oregon after their offense was so putrid.

I'm taking it. Frost HAS to address three things to keep his job. Special teams. OL. Get some pass rushers in the portal.

I can't imagine there's another P5 team in the country starting 2 redshirt Freshmen at OT. We've got 3 new starters on our O line this year. We maybe shouldn't be so surprised that they're struggling at times early in the season. I was really concerned about our newest OT but he's really not playing that badly for his lack of experience and physical maturity. Those two guys I believe will be really good by the time they're seniors. JMO. I guess I'm a glass half full guy when it comes to our O line.
I love ya dingle, but you are the board's excuse machine this week!

I commend the coaches for a great game plan. The coaches coached to win and the players played to win. I even thought Frost and his staff held their own in halftime adjustments. It boils down to the players being ready for the moment and executing accordingly. A better special teams coach is not going to fix the FG kicking issues. It’s mental right now more than physical. Players can’t get ready, they have to stay ready. It’s execution from the players that need to improve when opportunities present themselves.

Did you watch OSU's game yesterday? Tulsa was moving the ball pretty well on their D. I think losing Proctor at safety was a big deal for them. They have extreme talent but they still have to get new starters ready every year and sometimes talented kids aren't mentally ready for the big time. Day is no doubt shifting the blame for their loss to Oregon after their offense was so putrid.
I didn't say the move was good or bad, just that Day made a move in hopes that it would be an improvement.

Day would definitely be the first coach to shift the blame, right?

Reactions: dinglefritz
OU tried to give this game away and the kids couldn't reach out and take it. If I'm looking for sunshine it's this:

• Martinez played REALLY well. He's been excellent the last 3 games. This is the player we thought we were getting after his freshman year.
  • We finally have a couple guys who look like dudes at WR
  • Rahmir Johnson looked like his lightbulb finally came on
  • I actually liked the play calling. There weren't any plays that made me go, "WTF, why are you even calling that??"
  • Defensive game plan was smart and they stuck to it. We can't rush the passer, that's not new. But this was the first time in a long time I thought we were daring the other team to break their tendency not the other way around.

If I'm staying on the doom & gloom train:

• We're stuck on stupid. There's ZERO excuse to false start as a guard. You can see the ball FFS. Did it multiple times.
  • Still putting ourselves in a position to cry about "unfair" penalties. The game has changed and the change wasn't sudden, you can't just smack dudes and bury dudes "because it's football" any more. I don't LIKE that but that's how the refs are calling the game all over college and the NFL. So you can't be 51 out there playing through the echo of the echo of the whistle and getting two personal fouls. Just saw a personal foul in the Bears game for a love tap out of bounds on Burrow. Saw one last night in PSU-Auburn. They're going to call it, do not be in the gray areas. It's basketball now, baiting calls and flopping is becoming part of the game. Accept it. Play accordingly.
  • Special. Teams. The punt game was actually pretty good, but PR was a total non-weapon and place kicking is back to being a nightmare. HOW DO YOU HAVE THAT MANY KICKERS ON YOUR ROSTER AND NOBODY CAN MAKE KICKS??? Kickoff was pretty good.
  • OL whiffs. There were multiple times that OU players were just free hitters into the backfield on the QB. Can't happen. I don't know what the protection rules are but most schemes you protect from the inside out. I watched dudes just come uncontested through the A Gap multiple times.
  • We still look like a team that just recently discovered you're allowed to rush the football. I don't know what the disconnect is between Frost and Austin but it's very visible.

My suspicion is that Austin and Lubick, and maybe Trev, are starting to get through to Frost that he can't call his favorite white board play on every down regardless of the reality of the game flow. If this team is going to be any good they have GOT TO RUN THE FOOTBALL EFFECTIVELY.

It still wasn't enough triple option for me. That play is a huge neutralizer to slow down defenses that want to attack. You can't dabble in it, you're either an option team or you're not.

There are some positives, but the same old negatives still outweigh them. It's still a team I believe can find a way to lose to anyone, just like they did Saturday.

I love ya dingle, but you are the board's excuse machine this week!
It isn't an "excuse" to state a FACT. Name one other P5 team that is starting 2 redshirt freshmen at OT. That isn't a recipe for great success for you offense. You can criticize Frost and Austin for not landing better OT prospects in his first two classes but that's where we are right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: tpmcg
OU tried to give this game away and the kids couldn't reach out and take it. If I'm looking for sunshine it's this:

• Martinez played REALLY well. He's been excellent the last 3 games. This is the player we thought we were getting after his freshman year.
  • I actually liked the play calling. There weren't any plays that made me go, "WTF, why are you even calling that??"
  • Defensive game plan was smart and they stuck to it. We can't rush the passer, that's not new. But this was the first time in a long time I thought we were daring the other team to break their tendency not the other way around.

• We're stuck on stupid. There's ZERO excuse to false start as a guard. You can see the ball FFS. Did it multiple times.
  • Still putting ourselves in a position to cry about "unfair" penalties. The game has changed and the change wasn't sudden, you can't just smack dudes and bury dudes "because it's football" any more. I don't LIKE that but that's how the refs are calling the game all over college and the NFL. So you can't be 51 out there playing through the echo of the echo of the whistle and getting two personal fouls. Just saw a personal foul in the Bears game for a love tap out of bounds on Burrow. Saw one last night in PSU-Auburn. They're going to call it, do not be in the gray areas. It's basketball now, baiting calls and flopping is becoming part of the game. Accept it. Play accordingly.
  • Special. Teams. The punt game was actually pretty good, but PR was a total non-weapon and place kicking is back to being a nightmare. HOW DO YOU HAVE THAT MANY KICKERS ON YOUR ROSTER AND NOBODY CAN MAKE KICKS??? Kickoff was pretty good.
  • OL whiffs. There were multiple times that OU players were just free hitters into the backfield on the QB. Can't happen. I don't know what the protection rules are but most schemes you protect from the inside out. I watched dudes just come uncontested through the A Gap multiple times.
  • We still look like a team that just recently discovered you're allowed to rush the football. I don't know what the disconnect is between Frost and Austin but it's very visible.

My suspicion is that Austin and Lubick, and maybe Trev, are starting to get through to Frost that he can't call his favorite white board play on every down regardless of the reality of the game flow. If this team is going to be any good they have GOT TO RUN THE FOOTBALL EFFECTIVELY.

It still wasn't enough triple option for me. That play is a huge neutralizer to slow down defenses that want to attack. You can't dabble in it, you're either an option team or you're not.

There are some positives, but the same old negatives still outweigh them. It's still a team I believe can find a way to lose to anyone, just like they did Saturday.
Solid post.

The way this team plays, there is not a team left on our schedule we cannot beat

On the flip side, there's not a team left on the schedule that cannot beat us.

Reactions: jteten
It isn't an "excuse" to state a FACT. Name one other P5 team that is starting 2 redshirt freshmen at OT. That isn't a recipe for great success for you offense. You can criticize Frost and Austin for not landing better OT prospects in his first two classes but that's where we are right now.
Take that shit and shove it. Benhart is in his third year and should be a redshirt sophomore. Corcoran was one of the highest rated OL in his class, and a guy you would expect to contribute early. Austin is a complete failure, and none of your excuse-making attempts changes that fact.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

Those guys make catches the walk ons can’t even get in position for. No disrespect, as they are worthy back ups, but not starters.
Hickman needs more playing time, as well. we need to press at all times.

I’ve seen posts/tweets about playing manning, toure, brown, & betts more. I 2nd that thought.
Well shit, let's wait until the 5th game of the season to figure out we need to play our best receivers more. This is the kind of thing that gets a coaching staff fired when we can't figure out who our best players are until mid-point of the season. Get your damn players ready to compete by game 1, and we wouldn't have to suffer embarrassing losses to the likes of Illinois.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Hickman needs more playing time, as well. we need to press at all times.
Hickman is a TE who can't block. Not a good combo. We need Allen on the field as much as possible, only thing is he keeps getting hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT