ADVERTISEMENT

Does NU have enough talent to beat an SEC team?

starhusker

Walk On
Dec 2, 2004
If NU played LSU instead of Miami even though Miami lost 33-17. How would they do against LSU? Can they hang with teams like Alabama, Georgia, Auburn and etc?

Do we have the talent to be competitive? I believe so..

Are we a good enough football team to beat them? Not likely at this current time.

Your post was does NU have enough talent to beat a SEC team....
You have to be fng with people.
Do you think that we can not beat a SEC team?

Reactions: SOHusker11
Agreed. Lack of talent hasn't been our problem.
Honestly, I'm a bit perplexed. I keep reading about how much "talent" we have had here or how it hasn't been the issue. Well, there have been 2 Huskers picked in the draft the last 2 seasons and both of those were cut. ( Yes, Gerry was promoted off the practice squad and I highly doubt Lee ever takes an NFL snap). Also, no 1st round picks since 2011.

This screams talent issue to me, aside from the obvious player development issues; if one wants to use recruiting rankings as part of the "we have enough talent" narrative to be good.

I wish they could have played this weekend to give us a better handle as what to expect. However their last game against an SEC team (that wasn't very good) didn't go so well.

Based on what I saw out of most of the SEC this weekend, there is a lot of to do. Alabama is like the "Death Star" and Georgia isn't far behind. Auburn is very good and LSU always has an OL and DL that looks like it's comprised of 28 year old men. That said, I believe that SF is the man to get them back to competing with these guys.

Last edited:
Let’s see if we can beat CU first.

taking Akron off the table - CU is a must win and we need to go 2-1 against the group of NW-Purdue-iowa to get to 6 wins.

I’m not counting on beating MSU - UM - OSU or Wisconsin.

Beat "an SEC team" the answer is yes. To beat the upper SEC teams, no. We aren't even in the discussion to beat upper B1G teams, OSU, PSU, MSU, MU and toss up games with the mid level teams.

True Freshman QB, new players, systems, coaches, common sense should prevail.

Last edited:
We haven’t seen this years team go live yet, but watching Bama, Auburn and LSU on defense reminds one how a fast and physical defense can change the game significantly. Certainly the team only a year ago did not even belong on the field with these types of teams. I hope we see a sizable jump this year but likely to amass the speed needed, may take a couple years.

Reactions: saluno22
Too many Debbie Downers on this thread. If you can't believe in our team, its best to cheer for a SEC team or whatever...

Perhaps the reason we haven’t been relevant in nearly 2 decades is because you simply didn’t believe strongly enough. I think it’s time you step up your belief game so the rest of can enjoy Husker football again.

Reactions: Hugo_Stiglitz7
Honestly, I'm a bit perplexed. I keep reading about how much "talent" we have had here or how it hasn't been the issue. Well, there have been 2 Huskers picked in the draft the last 2 seasons and both of those were cut. ( Yes, Gerry was promoted off the practice squad and I highly doubt Lee ever takes an NFL snap). Also, no 1st round picks since 2011.

This screams talent issue to me, aside from the obvious player development issues; if one wants to use recruiting rankings as part of the "we have enough talent" narrative to be good.

I wish they could have played this weekend to give us a better handle as what to expect. However their last game against an SEC team (that wasn't very good) didn't go so well.

Based on what I saw out of most of the SEC this weekend, there is a lot of to do. Alabama is like the "Death Star" and Georgia isn't far behind. Auburn is very good and LSU always has an OL and DL that looks like it's comprised of 28 year old men. That said, I believe that SF is the man to get them back to competing with these guys.

Nebraska has more NFL talent this year than the last few seasons:

Dedrick Young, Stanley Morgan, Tanner Farmer, and Jerald Foster will all get drafted in 2019. I also believe Nebraska has the most collective offensive skill talent they've had since Ameer, Rex, Bell, and Enunwa were on the same roster.

But Nebraska will never officially be able to consistently compete with the upper half of the SEC until they start getting difference makers who wreak havoc in the defensive front 7.

I am pretty sure nobody really knows until the Huskers play a real game and that would not have counted Akron. We should have a better idea after this Saturday however!

Dedrick Young, Stanley Morgan, Tanner Farmer, and Jerald Foster will all get drafted in 2019. I also believe Nebraska has the most collective offensive skill talent they've had since Ameer, Rex, Bell, and Enunwa were on the same roster.

But Nebraska will never officially be able to consistently compete with the upper half of the SEC until they start getting difference makers who wreak havoc in the defensive front 7.

Dedrick Young, Tanner Farmer, and Jerald Foster have a lot to prove in 2018 in order to get drafted in 2019.

I hope you are correct
because of the Frost/Duval Factor influencing these 3 individuals with their play on the field this season. I want them to have a great senior year that propels them to the NFL Combine and then earning a roster spot!! Winking

Reactions: blfarmer73

I hope you're right about these draft prospects. I think that would help recruiting, immensely.

I agree with you about the other half. It's now or never.

So if we don't "believe" like you do, ignoring reality, then we are debbie downers. Make a list of the SEC teams we could realistically beat?

Really, you tell HIM to make you a list of SEC teams we have a chance to beat?? That’s easy peasy, any of the SEC teams not Bama or Georgia. The bottom of the SEC might be as bad or worse then the bottom of the BIG10...defiantly debatable. So all of the bottom feeders in the SEC. Tennessee and Florida all have new coaches too. You can claim they have more talent and they probably do but I don’t see it as a complete and total blow out there...we have kept up decent enough on talent wise to match these guys. Then the mid level SEC teams?? Yes I think we can compete and win these games too. Note I’m not say we’d win for sure, I’m saying we COULD win and COMPETE. Claiming we couldn’t even compete is tad over reaching. We do not have Mike Riley and his staff anymore. We still need to see how we even play still but the way it SOUNDS, we are light and day compared to last years team.

Really, you tell HIM to make you a list of SEC teams we have a chance to beat?? That’s easy peasy, any of the SEC teams not Bama or Georgia. The bottom of the SEC might be as bad or worse then the bottom of the BIG10...defiantly debatable. So all of the bottom feeders in the SEC. Tennessee and Florida all have new coaches too. You can claim they have more talent and they probably do but I don’t see it as a complete and total blow out there...we have kept up decent enough on talent wise to match these guys. Then the mid level SEC teams?? Yes I think we can compete and win these games too. Note I’m not say we’d win for sure, I’m saying we COULD win and COMPETE. Claiming we couldn’t even compete is tad over reaching. We do not have Mike Riley and his staff anymore. We still need to see how we even play still but the way it SOUNDS, we are light and day compared to last years team.

The original question - "does Nebraska have enough talent to beat an SEC team". The simple answer is yes - if you are talking just any old team and pick one. But the list is probably not all that long and about midway through the conference it gets tough sledding. It all hypothetical but do you really think Nebraska could beat all other teams besides Bama and Georgia?

Of course, you had to throw in qualifiers - we "could" win, well heck yea, Butler with no scholarships beat Youngstown so they conceivably "could" beat Nebraska even if you want to push the envelope of possibilities that far. Right now Nebraska is not even picked to beat OSU, Michigan or Wisconsin and it is a toss up with Michigan State.

I am all for this team getting better but to think in less than a year they are at the upper end of good teams you need to think things through beyond a potential "yea any team can beat any team on any given Saturday" kind of thing. I even heard Frost say he is not sure how this team will compete in the B1G and until he sees the teams he won't know for sure. Sure, we are starting a walk on at Center, two unproven tackles, a true freshman QB who hasn't played in a game since he was a junior in HS and they are expected to compete with all the big boys week end and week out. Not yet, not yet.

Nebraska would finish lower half of the conference if they were in it this year. Depth is biggest difference. If in the West likely 4-5th, east 3-4th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT