ADVERTISEMENT

Does Miles deserve another year?

Does Tim Miles deserve another year?

• Yes

Votes: 116 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 44 27.5%

• Total voters
We really need to get rid of this kind of mentality about our basketball program.
Why? We are a garbage program....a bunch of small town white guys who will not accept mediocrity is not going to change this....elite players have NO reason to go to Lincoln nebraska to play college basketball. If it is hard to recruit kids for football to come to NU, then it is infinitely harder in basketball. Our HS situation is pathetic, and we are 1500 miles away from the hoops hot spots. It is an embarrassment for a HS kid to say he is going to Nebraska to play, that is unless he needs a transfer spot or has a bunch of worse offers, which is difficult if he is a D1 player. The new arena gave us a glimmer of hope, Miles backed it up with a tournament appearance, but we needed a sweet 16 out of that year and didn't get it. Now we are back to struggling for D2 talent and transfers.

Reactions: husker2612
Yep. Pretty comparable resumes overall
Was waiting for this response. Pretty sure you proved my point.

Even one of the best coaches in the game currently coaching the 2nd ranked team in the country can be outcoached by Beilein.

But when it happens to Miles we want to ridicule him because he’s horrible.

Why? We are a garbage program....a bunch of small town white guys who will not accept mediocrity is not going to change this....elite players have NO reason to go to Lincoln nebraska to play college basketball. If it is hard to recruit kids for football to come to NU, then it is infinitely harder in basketball. Our HS situation is pathetic, and we are 1500 miles away from the hoops hot spots. It is an embarrassment for a HS kid to say he is going to Nebraska to play, that is unless he needs a transfer spot or has a bunch of worse offers, which is difficult if he is a D1 player. The new arena gave us a glimmer of hope, Miles backed it up with a tournament appearance, but we needed a sweet 16 out of that year and didn't get it. Now we are back to struggling for D2 talent and transfers.

Uh, Creighton seems to do just fine despite having all of the same disadvantages we have. Hell, they moved up from a weak mid-major conference to a conference full of big-time programs in East Coast recruiting hot spots.

If they can compete in the Big East, there is no excuse why we can't compete in the Big Ten.

We really need to get rid of this kind of mentality about our basketball program.
You get rid of this kind of mentality when the school decides to stop screwing around and hire a proven commodity that wins against top ten teams more than once in awhile, wins conference titles, and gets to March Madness and hangs around a bit while there. Certainly get someone that can out do the in-state Bluejays and be their better.

I pull for the BB team and Miles, but Tim is NOT a coach that is going to take Nebraska to the above mentioned places. Sad but true.

Uh, Creighton seems to do just fine despite having all of the same disadvantages we have. Hell, they moved up from a weak mid-major conference to a conference full of big-time programs in East Coast recruiting hot spots.

If they can compete in the Big East, there is no excuse why we can't compete in the Big Ten.
Good point

So what is it going to take for Nebraska to get the next level?

Coach? I just don't see a top level coach coming here, maybe if we dish out crazy money. Even so, what would be the advantage. They could get the same money we could offer and pick from about 100 other schools that would be way easier to recruit to and win at right away. Nebraska would be a lot of work for a coach to get turned around. I think we have to find an up and coming D2/ lower level D1 guy and have him be a diamond in the rough.

Recruiting? Recruits have zero reason to want to come here. If they have any talent at all, and are from Nebraska odds are they will go to Creighton. Any kids that are out of state are going to probably go to a school with better history and chance to make the tourney year in and year out. So basically we are stuck with all the leftovers, and transfers. Maybe getting a top coach would help draw recruits if we ever find one.

Facilities/Fans? For being one of the bottom basketball programs in the country we probably have some of the best facilities in the BIG10. Fan are second to none. Not many fans would deal with what Nebraska basketball is and still pack the vault ever game. Facilities and fans are not an issue.

It is even possible to turn basket ball into a consistently top 25 school. As a poster above said Creighton can do it, we should be able to as well. Why can't we?

If this is going to be your go-to motivational speech, it's day and age.

Or maybe you can tell those young-uns they had better toughen up, because it's a doggy dog world out there.
Whatever it takes to get you through the day. I will type instead of speaking into the mobile device so I do not offend you by messing up the English language.

I apparently hit a sore spot with you on Miles. You are impressed with him - good for you.

Last edited:
Whatever it takes to get you through the day. I will type instead of speaking into the mobile device so I do not offend you by messing up the English language.

I apparently hit a sore spot with you on Miles. You are impressed with him - good for you.

Not really a fan of Miles at all. I just figured if someone is going to gasbag about how much he despises mediocrity, he might at least want to get his clichés right.

for me I wouldn't make a change under any circumstance until this FBI thing fully shakes out.

see this from Moos

by the time targets make their deals with the government the NCAA will need to act. Nebraska has always resisted being buddy buddy with the AAU and there's a reason.

This.
I also believe Miles would get another year once Frost was hired.

I am not ready to offer an opinion yet. I have stated several times that a review takes place after the season is over, not before. Tournament play is important. There been significant progress this year. But...NCAA tourney doesn't look to good right now. But still appears a long shot.

I'm waiting till the end and will see how it feels. I don't know what Mr. Moos is thinking, but no matter what, I bet he has reviewed and updated that short list in the top drawer of his desk.

My prediction: Tim Miles will be at Nebraska next year.

for me I wouldn't make a change under any circumstance until this FBI thing fully shakes out.

see this from Moos

by the time targets make their deals with the government the NCAA will need to act. Nebraska has always resisted being buddy buddy with the AAU and there's a reason.
Except I'm not so sure that Kenya Hunter could be classified as "resisting being buddy buddy with the AAU". We'll see how it all shakes out but it isn't going to happen over night.

Roster turnover seems to be the life of college basketball. Give Miles credit, he realized that the players that were on the team the last two years were not going to be competitive in the BIG. He went out and procured several transfers and the writing was on the wall for several former players. Yes the fans went crazy. I don't know if that is of the dislike of Miles or what. Fans always have opinions as to what they think should happen and look for anything to support their theory. Same people that are critical of the number of transfers out from the BB program are the people calling for attrition from the football program. Let Miles manage his roster. I think the recognition of a non competitive roster by Miles is a plus in retaining him and giving an extension. Face it, Cornhusker basketball really is not a destination job.

Roster turnover seems to be the life of college basketball. Give Miles credit, he realized that the players that were on the team the last two years were not going to be competitive in the BIG. He went out and procured several transfers and the writing was on the wall for several former players. Yes the fans went crazy. I don't know if that is of the dislike of Miles or what. Fans always have opinions as to what they think should happen and look for anything to support their theory. Same people that are critical of the number of transfers out from the BB program are the people calling for attrition from the football program. Let Miles manage his roster. I think the recognition of a non competitive roster by Miles is a plus in retaining him and giving an extension. Face it, Cornhusker basketball really is not a destination job.

The only guy I was upset to see leave was Morrow, because he was a geat rebounder and an athletic defender. Morrow would have helped this year's team immensely, but I'm not upset with Miles for not being able to keep him in the fold. If Morrow was dissatisfied with his role on last year's team, he would have been even more unhappy this year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Given how easy it has become to get in the NCAA tournament since the field was more than doubled years ago, it is almost unbelievable that NU has only a few appearances and no wins ever. By those standards Miles deserves a statue next to TO’s and the Bobfather. Of course he should be retained — and extended another five years or more. The NIT has always been our Holy Grail and Miles is the guy to get us there.

Our football program has been down since 2001. The basketball program has been down since the invention of peach baskets. And if the alums really cared that would have changed 50 years ago. Why should we change expectations now?

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerDana
So what's your solution to breaking the cycle? It would seem foolhardy to fire a guy who just put together one of the best seasons in Husker history in hopes of catching the next young rising star. I understand some of the frustration with NU basketball, but Miles has proven that he can get some really good players here and nobody else since Nee has been able to do that. We'll see if he can keep getting them here consistently and win consistently. I just don't know who you would get to replace him at this point that would do a better job.

The solution is easy. The problem is the execution. You have to make a change in leadership.

As I said you can’t fire him now because he did enough to keep the job. So now you have to wait for him to give you another reason. The problem is does he get one losing season? two? How much good will does he get for an NCAA berth this year or a deep NIT run? Does that buy him 2 or 3 more years? Does this one season mean the 4 previous were flukes?

As I said before, we bought fools gold, now we are waiting around for a sucker to sell it to.

Fire him to do what? Win 24 games? I doubt the non-con schedule is all his fault...and the fact that Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, NW (Everyone that isn't a virgin knew they would suck), and Rutgers all suck isn't NU's fault.

Now...next year...that could be interesting.

You get rid of this kind of mentality when the school decides to stop screwing around and hire a proven commodity that wins against top ten teams more than once in awhile, wins conference titles, and gets to March Madness and hangs around a bit while there. Certainly get someone that can out do the in-state Bluejays and be their better.

I pull for the BB team and Miles, but Tim is NOT a coach that is going to take Nebraska to the above mentioned places. Sad but true.
No one is going to be pissed if the outcome resulted in this proven commodity. I’m not defending Miles because I don’t want Coach K or Bill Self here. I defend him because there is no proven commodity. We struck out with Collier and Sadler. So I’ve seen what misses are like and I see potential in Miles that I haven’t seen in decades.

So unless you can guarantee this proven commodity, I don’t understand why people are so quick to point out what they want without really stating how to get him.

If this is going to be your go-to motivational speech, it's day and age.

Or maybe you can tell those young-uns they had better toughen up, because it's a doggy dog world out there.

Laughing That's good stuff!

No one is going to be pissed if the outcome resulted in this proven commodity. I’m not defending Miles because I don’t want Coach K or Bill Self here. I defend him because there is no proven commodity. We struck out with Collier and Sadler. So I’ve seen what misses are like and I see potential in Miles that I haven’t seen in decades.

So unless you can guarantee this proven commodity, I don’t understand why people are so quick to point out what they want without really stating how to get him.
Potential is such an interesting word. If Miles potential is 22-10, then that's fine. I think I stated the obvious in what I want from a proven commodity, but I don't see that person in Tim Miles. How to get that person, I admit, is a crap shoot. You have to sell the program and the desire to make it better, you have to pay the rate at which it takes to get such a person, and support has to be strong from the admin down to the fans.

I don't pretend to believe that Nebraska will really get such a coach, so I don't worry about it too much. Miles had a very good season and I'll continue to pull for him and the team, but I have NO delusions of grandeur about his ability to take the team to the heights I mentioned earlier.

The only guy I was upset to see leave was Morrow, because he was a geat rebounder and an athletic defender. Morrow would have helped this year's team immensely, but I'm not upset with Miles for not being able to keep him in the fold. If Morrow was dissatisfied with his role on last year's team, he would have been even more unhappy this year.
I think Jacobsen would have helped us too but Morrow would have helped Immensely against the Illini that last game IMO. I said it when it happened, I think those guys left because they thought their minutes were going to be reduced and didn't like their roles going forward. Miles has definitely made some mistakes in how he's handled some kids on the roster and Morrow is probably exhibit A. Hopefully Miles learned something out of that. The down side on Ed that we keep forgetting is that he missed a ton of games with that foot, and I'm not sure he'll ever be able to play a whole season on it.

I feel like every now and then, even a blind squirrel finds a nutt. I feel like this year was Tim’s every once in a while. But was it really though? Not making it to the dance doesn’t necessarily equal major success my opinion

Do most people realize that Miles is 1 game above .500 @ NU & 4 losing seasons in his 6 @ NU? How’s that any good?

And I don’t think the Husker job is the dumpster playground that it was before Miles came to Nebraska. PBA has changed the face of Husker basketball. NU was ranking 40-ish in the nation in basketball attendance. Since the vaults been built, NU has been a top 10 program consistently in attendance.

Besides facilities and program attendance, the lack of major pressure to win here has to be attractive. It’s not like most of us fans would ever expect a coach to come in and win right away. We have low expectations in basketball. Having said that, it should be ok that we have better expectations then what Miles has and can produce.

What I struggle with on this board are people who think firing losers is the wrong choice. This is the same argument we had with MR, they aren’t guys who can win.

Last edited:

The mentality I’m talking about is Basketball season is just something to occupy our time during the winter till Spring Football starts, which was about you’re original post...

I agree with you on Miles, and I also have my doubts about Miles as well..Two winning season and 4 losing seasons and when it’s time for the big stage he has failed miserably.

Reactions: husker2612
Here is the truth and I like to deal in it.

Miles deserves another year but he will be on very hot seat, if not gone, if he fails to produce next year. Next year should be a better team capable of winning at even higher levels than this year. But keep in mind BIG cant possibly be as down.

I say NCAA bid at least and competitive loss at very least. Or it’s time. Some may argue we need to finally win one NCAA. I couldn’t argue that either

I disagree. If the football program is great, then I could care less about basketball.

On the flip side, I really don't care much about basketball when football sucks...

I disagree. If the football program is great, then I could care less about basketball.

On the flip side, I really don't care much about basketball when football sucks...

Ya you’re right I only want to be good in one sport NOT both.o_O

All I know is, next year will be his most talented roster BY FAR. We should probably be top-15 to start the year, and if any kid leaves, they are scared of competition, and suck anyway.
Did I miss anything?

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
He is still under contract. Silly to fire him. I also wouldn’t extend his contract. Let it play out and decide when it is up. What is the point? We are historically one of the very worst programs of all time. It is stupid to fire someone and keep paying them in this situation where you are only going to get the dregs of coaching and the left over players.

see this from Moos

Not according to the Nebraska haters/supposed fans here on this forum
Despite all the evedence we are the guys in white hats

If it didn’t happen in their era they gotta throw rocks
Pathetic

True. Didn’t they throw rocks at witches in Salem? Or was that stones? I don’t know. Regardless they weren’t playing Nebraska football or basketball in those days.

Rocks are made from smaller stones and stones are made from rocks.

He has tournament talent that could come back, so next year needs to be a tourney team regardless of who leaves. It’s on him to recruit them to stay

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT