• Yes

Votes: 116 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 44 27.5%

• Total voters

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
I can see both sides of the argument. When you look at the numbers I am not sure he has accomplished as much as many believe he has. Do we want Tim Miles to be to Nebraska like Mike Riley is to Oregon St ? Just because we don't have a historic program should we just accept this as the best it can get?
Tim Miles Record:
Total-97-96
Record vs ranked opponents( 8W-34L)
vs top 10 (2-13)
vs top 5 (0-6)

In comparison here is what Doc did:
Total 101-89
Record vs ranked opponents (8W-27L)
vs top 10 (2-16)
vs top 5 (1-7)

I honestly don't have a preference either way. Nebraska basketball is a tough place to recruit and have success. People think it is hard to recruit to Neb for football it is 10 times worse for basketball. Football at least has a historic past. Basketball has nothing. Could Miles get this program built up in another 10 years, that is the question.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Yes. Not because NU managed to exceed its painfully low preseason projections, but because 4th place in the Big Ten is a strong result under any circumstances, even in a down year for the conference. I'm disappointed about yesterday's crappy showing, but it doesn't erase two months of pretty solid play.

Yes. Not because NU managed to exceed its painfully low preseason projections, but because 4th place in the Big Ten is a strong result under any circumstances, even in a down year for the conference. I'm disappointed about yesterday's crappy showing, but it doesn't erase two months of pretty solid play.
I agree but I think that is where the argument could be said for him to be gone. He just can't seem to win when it matters.

He earned himself another year finishing in the top 4 in the conference and winning 22 games...

If Miles doesn’t make the NCAA tournament next year I can see Moos making a change if he has a better coach in mind or on his list that he keeps in his drawer.Winking

It won’t matter. If Miles comes back and has a crappy year next year, he will do enough in the transfer market or in recruiting to get the powers that be enough hope to keep him yet one more season. It has become a perpetual cycle that shows no sign of ending anytime soon. This is what Nebraska basketball is and will be. We might as well just get used It.

Yes, because you don't fire a coach that finished 4th in the Big Ten with a 22-9 record. Maybe at a blue blood program, but certainly not at Nebraska. Especially when you're still paying two previous football staffs.

But do I believe he's the answer long term? Still a resounding no even though I'd love to be wrong.

Last edited:
Frankly, I think it’s absurd to even contemplate that he deserves to be fired based on this years results, and I’m not a fan of his.
I know but people are. Depends what people are judging him against. If he is being judged as compared to other top 50 programs he would probably be fired or have been fired a year or so ago. If you are comparing him to other coaches in Nebraska history he probably deserves another year or so. Outside of the Ncaa tourney appearance his resume is very similar to Docs. Who was fired after year 6. I think the BIG10 having down year hit at perfect timing for Miles to probably save his job.

I agree but I think that is where the argument could be said for him to be gone. He just can't seem to win when it matters.
But the only reason yesterday's game "mattered" was because the team managed to play its way onto the tournament bubble. I'll take that over a shitty season and then a close loss in NYC, which is what had people gushing over Wisconsin and Rutgers yesterday.

And to be honest, I'm no fan of Miles. His Aw Shucks Small Town Timmy act wore thin on me a long time ago. But the results on the court this season absolutely don't add up to him getting fired.

It won’t matter. If Miles comes back and has a crappy year next year, he will do enough in the transfer market or in recruiting to get the powers that be enough hope to keep him yet one more season. It has become a perpetual cycle that shows no sign of ending anytime soon. This is what Nebraska basketball is and will be. We might as well just get used It.
Yep, that is why I said he could be to Nebraska basketball like Mike Riley is to Oregon St football. It is a tough place to win at, so just being average is considered a success.

Reactions: Wasker77
But the only reason yesterday's game "mattered" was because the team managed to play its way onto the tournament bubble. I'll take that over a shitty season and then a close loss in NYC, which is what had people gushing over Wisconsin and Rutgers yesterday.

And to be honest, I'm no fan of Miles. His Aw Shucks Small Town Timmy act wore thin on me a long time ago. But the results on the court this season absolutely don't add up to him getting fired.
Exactly. Firing Miles after this year would not be logical. Like him or not, he's done the best job of recruiting (albeit mostly via transfer) that we've had in a long long time. Now he needs to string some winning years together. I certainly wouldn't extend him with some huge sweet deal but we probably almost have to tack another year on his contract just for recruiting purposes. He's already has the 30th highest salary in the college so he sure as hell doesn't need a raise and nobody's going to hire him away.

So what's your solution to breaking the cycle? It would seem foolhardy to fire a guy who just put together one of the best seasons in Husker history in hopes of catching the next young rising star. I understand some of the frustration with NU basketball, but Miles has proven that he can get some really good players here and nobody else since Nee has been able to do that. We'll see if he can keep getting them here consistently and win consistently. I just don't know who you would get to replace him at this point that would do a better job.

Unfortunately I agree with you. Here’s hoping Moos is not as complacent as most Husker fans are about the basketball program.

Unfortunately I agree with you. Here’s hoping Moos is not as complacent as most Husker fans are about the basketball program.
The only way a change is made is if the revenue stream at PBA dries up. AND then the decision would be made based almost solely on what guy they could bring in who could create the kind of excitement needed to put butts in the seats. This year probably bought Miles some time.

Reactions: spinner4
The only way a change is made is if the revenue stream at PBA dries up. AND then the decision would be made based almost solely on what guy they could bring in who could create the kind of excitement needed to put butts in the seats. This year probably bought Miles some time.

Agreed, especially when our mantra is “ wait til next year.”

Agreed, especially when our mantra is “ wait til next year.”
"wait til next year" is the mantra of just about every program in America. Hell it was the Husker football mantra with Tom a the helm for over a decade. Winning championships is extremely difficult and Moos knows that. Winning a bball conference championship for NU is almost impossibly illogical. IF we had beat Michigan and made the NCAA, it would have been almost a best case scenario for Husker basketball. We would have to start landing a number of high level recruits that don't logically consider NU in order to do much better than we've done this year. So, much like with football, as long as our head coach wins enough games to keep the stadium full and for us to have a shot at some type of postseason play up until the end of the regular season, that coach is probably safe. Just the way it is IMO and I don't see it ever changing in the 10-15 years I have left. I still love watching and rooting for the Huskers.

Reactions: Crushinator
"wait til next year" is the mantra of just about every program in America. Hell it was the Husker football mantra with Tom a the helm for over a decade. Winning championships is extremely difficult and Moos knows that. Winning a bball conference championship for NU is almost impossibly illogical. IF we had beat Michigan and made the NCAA, it would have been almost a best case scenario for Husker basketball. We would have to start landing a number of high level recruits that don't logically consider NU in order to do much better than we've done this year. So, much like with football, as long as our head coach wins enough games to keep the stadium full and for us to have a shot at some type of postseason play up until the end of the regular season, that coach is probably safe. Just the way it is IMO and I don't see it ever changing in the 10-15 years I have left. I still love watching and rooting for the Huskers.

"Wait until next year", at least under Osborne was tolerable because we didn't suck.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
I can see both sides of the argument. When you look at the numbers I am not sure he has accomplished as much as many believe he has. Do we want Tim Miles to be to Nebraska like Mike Riley is to Oregon St ? Just because we don't have a historic program should we just accept this as the best it can get?
Tim Miles Record:
Total-97-96
Record vs ranked opponents( 8W-34L)
vs top 10 (2-13)
vs top 5 (0-6)

In comparison here is what Doc did:
Total 101-89
Record vs ranked opponents (8W-27L)
vs top 10 (2-16)
vs top 5 (1-7)

I honestly don't have a preference either way. Nebraska basketball is a tough place to recruit and have success. People think it is hard to recruit to Neb for football it is 10 times worse for basketball. Football at least has a historic past. Basketball has nothing. Could Miles get this program built up in another 10 years, that is the question.
No, because I despise mediocrity, but understand why many Nebraska fans want him to stay as they have come to accept mediocrity this day in age.

Nebraska basketball a career killer who are you going to come here that's any better? You can list names but in reality would they take the job, miles you know what you get, you might end up with another Barry collier or mo iba

Last chance next year. This Michigan meltdown was awful. We were getting some respect from a solid regular season, and then did zero in the conf tourney. No way we're getting in the NCAA, playing the NIT is like going to one of those bowl games where both teams are 6-6.

NU basketball is one of the most pathetic institutions in the NCAA and has been historically. Winning 20+ games is akin to Kansas football winning 8...there are no logical reasons to have expectations for NU basketball...kids are going to come here is they are leftovers or they hate where they currently play...Miles has had to win with leftovers and misfits and transfers, and he has done it occasionally...lifetime contract.

No, because I despise mediocrity, but understand why many Nebraska fans want him to stay as they have come to accept mediocrity this day in age.
If this is going to be your go-to motivational speech, it's day and age.

Or maybe you can tell those young-uns they had better toughen up, because it's a doggy dog world out there.

Everyone would have been thrilled with an NIT birth this year. As the season progressed we aimed higher and failed. There is talent on the roster but Miles can’t help them shoot. Yesterday was on the players.

Nebraska BB is something to mildly pass the time from the end of football season to about now. And guess what? Spring football is right around the corner, wasn't it nice of Miles to usher it in?;)

We really need to get rid of this kind of mentality about our basketball program.

Depends on what he has left on contract. Fire? No. Extension? No. Let's see how next year plays out.

I'm not holding out much hope for an NCAA bid, but for those who are today's games don't seem to be going the Huskers' way. Texas, K-State, Marquette and Syracuse all won and Oklahoma State is leading Kansas. Oregon is leading Washington, but otherwise bubble teams seem to be winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT