ADVERTISEMENT

Does Matt Anderson get a recruiting upgrade?

He's a mid-level 3* on 247 Sports right now. 0.8599 score.

I fully expect a few of these guys to get some kind of boost over the next year; many of them are "under the radar" or huge bang-for-your-buck type players, and also a substantial number of them are right on the cusp of being 4 star players (with scores just slightly less than the requisite 0.89 required to get 4 stars on 247 Sports).

Props to the staff for snagging an under the radar kid. From Anderson's Rivals profile, Held was in on recruiting him. Been reading about how NU lacked ace recruiters on this board ever since I joined. There have been a couple that supposedly had the rep but for the most part were all hat and no cattle. Then a former NU walkon who kicked around DII and JUCOs for years shows up to snap necks and cash checks. When your job for some time has been trying to find diamonds in the rough, you get pretty good at finding diamonds. Frost has an eye for talent.

Nobody outside these boards care if one of our recruits gets a bump in their star rating. Start beating some top ten teams and national perception will change.

Yeah, winning will take away a lot of doubts from a lot of people.

Well, we can't win the off-season if the services aren't giving the boys the stars they deserve.

Nobody outside these boards care if one of our recruits gets a bump in their star rating. Start beating some top ten teams and national perception will change.
Incorrect. Recruiting rankings do matter, even if it is less significant than winning p

Well said. And I would rather have a kid come in as a two star and something to prove than an overrated four star with issues (and we have had our share of those).

I generally want our players to have more stars for national profile purposes. Highly ranked recruits tend to flock together, so all the better for that too. I would think 3* is doable, but in Mr. Anderson's case it wouldn't bother me if it didn't happen.

He doesn't have the body mass yet, so most will view him as a "project." I also think he's more valuable to us than most programs because of the offense we run and the profile of lineman we're trying to recruit/develop for our style and pace of play (leaner, more athletic, ability to pull, tons of stamina).

MA seems like our version of a Wisky 2* or 3* lineman that no one shouts about when they're recruited but then blows up two years down the road because they've been probably developed and perfectly fit the system. Or at least we can hope, but it seems like the raw athletic material and several intangibles are in place.

Frost recruits personality to go along with talent and fit. He isn't going to take just anyone with a high star rating because some guy that is 60 pounds overweight watches a highlight film and running around in shorts says he is a 4-star.

Every class has 4-stars and 5-stars that don't pan out for various reasons. If you recruit the right kids you will win a lot of football games as long as you develop them.

Reactions: GILL T
Probably 5.6 with a possible higher grade after senior film. He has a lot of upside, just needs to continue to develop.
I LOVE this type of OT recruit. I've said for years that we need to be finding athletic high school TEs who have the frame and willingness to be OTs then build them in to what we need. There just aren't that many 290-320 lb high school OTs with the athleticism to become great college OTs. In this case Anderson has a year under his belt already at OT and the process has already begun. IMO, THIS is the kind of kid we need to find to turn in to all-conference tackles. Big, long athletic kids like this with a great work ethic can not only make great college OTs but have the potential to move on to the NFL.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Why are those the only two options?

I would rather have a 4 star that wants to prove something. Maybe even a 6 star with a chip on his shoulder!
Obviously. Everyone wants the four or five star with great character, a fire in his belly, and lots of untapped potential with much left to learn, but who is also a great kid with outstanding grades. And Urban Meyer and Nick Saban have done a great job sifting through the ranks of the top kids to find those guys.

In reality, Nebraska has always had a difficult time signing those types of kids unless they are from within the 500 mile radius. We've gotten a handful, but most have an issue or two that come with them.

Why are those the only two options?

I would rather have a 4 star that wants to prove something. Maybe even a 6 star with a chip on his shoulder!
can you get me a unicorn, a super model and a billion dollars while we’re at it?

He automatically gets a 2 star rating because he committed to a P5 school. More than that will depend on how Rivals evaluates his performance and potential on the field. Personally it doesn't matter all that much to me. Until proven otherwise (by picking some dud recruits) I will trust Frost and staff to make good evaluations. Seems like they've more then done a good job so far.

Reactions: Juan Malo
Recruiting matters much more than recruiting rankings. I believe both matter though. The more 4/5 stars we get, the more attention we get from other 4/5 stars who are generally better athletes (obviously not always the case).

Recruiting does matter. Recruiting rankings don't.

That’s almost like saying College football rankings don’t matter, Winning football games matter. Or saying the egg doesn’t matter, it’s the chicken that matters. Rankings are a Bi-product of recruiting well. Clemson, tOSU, & Bama keep finishing in the top 5 in recruiting and top 5 in football. Please let me know a team whose won a “real” national championship without having at least a class finish in the top 5. I’ll hang up while you answer.

Y’alls opinion on recruiting rankings change as often as you change your underwear. If we were getting verbals from high 4 star and 5 star kids, rankings would matter, since the class is filled with high 3 and low 4 star recruits, the narrative is a trust in Frost and his system.

As I’ve said a million times on here, unless you recruit highly ranked kids, you won’t be playing for national titles. Period. If the goal is to be Wisconsin, win 9-11 games per year, and end the season ranked 8-20 then recruiting a bunch of 3 star projects and relying on development is the way to go. If you want to be in the CFP, you have to have the studs.

Y’alls opinion on recruiting rankings change as often as you change your underwear. If we were getting verbals from high 4 star and 5 star kids, rankings would matter, since the class is filled with high 3 and low 4 star recruits, the narrative is a trust in Frost and his system.

As I’ve said a million times on here, unless you recruit highly ranked kids, you won’t be playing for national titles. Period. If the goal is to be Wisconsin, win 9-11 games per year, and end the season ranked 8-20 then recruiting a bunch of 3 star projects and relying on development is the way to go. If you want to be in the CFP, you have to have the studs.

Dang it Taco, we put the stars on them!

Of course not all of SF's recruits are going to pan out, but one thing I do like and can say with certainty, is the speed at which he is attempting to flip the roster over to fit his style of offense and defense, is remarkable.

Whether you're a fan or not of the offers made or commitments taken, I for one have been very pleased at not only the level of effort by this staff, but the results they are getting and earlier in the cycle.

When this normalizes, it will be easier to judge recruiting performance based on what happens on the field, and I do believe we will need top recruiting classes, but for right now, I give passing grades for getting on with the task of doing a full rebuild, which is also happening at the walk on levels.

Of course not all of SF's recruits are going to pan out, but one thing I do like and can say with certainty, is the speed at which he is attempting to flip the roster over to fit his style of offense and defense, is remarkable.

Whether you're a fan or not of the offers made or commitments taken, I for one have been very pleased at not only the level of effort by this staff, but the results they are getting and earlier in the cycle.

When this normalizes, it will be easier to judge recruiting performance based on what happens on the field, and I do believe we will need top recruiting classes, but for right now, I give passing grades for getting on with the task of doing a full rebuild, which is also happening at the walk on levels.
Agree on that. I'd like to see them start landing some big fish now with this class. If you can't sell what they did last year at UCF combined with the chance to play early to 4* and 5* kids then you just can't sell.

OSU, PSU and Michigan all have seven or more 4* kids and a 5* already. NU can't be trying to do more with less talent, they need to do more with equal talent.

You can sure flip your roster a lot faster with Top 250 kids than you can with "we think we stole a good one here once he gets a few years with Coach Duval" type dudes.

I'd like another QB in this class who throws a better ball than McCaffrey. Kid feels like a smart Taylor Martinez to me where he'd be a nice running QB with an average arm but he could be elite at a different position. If they're going to be throwing 30+ times a game, they need accuracy and you hate to see a kid be pretty good at one sport when he could be great at another.

Pass rushers are a must-have. Corner is still a screaming need as well. I'm all about the numbers game, don't get me wrong, but I wanna see some guys that need no further explanation.

The question I have is, how many "highly ranked (4-5 star)" stud OTs are there out there that fit Frost's system? This thread was started about an OT recruit that has flown under the radar and is not highly ranked. As long as Frost isn't taking kids with questionable character trying to fill his class late, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on his evaluation of talent until he proves otherwise. We've had more than our fair share of 4 star busts over the past 2 decades. The Anderson kid IMO fits what we need to be looking for at OT. By the time he gets to Lincoln he is going to be similar in frame and size to what Jaimes was last fall. By all means, I want all the 4-5 star guys we can get IF they fit the system and Frost wants them.

The question I have is, how many "highly ranked (4-5 star)" stud OTs are there out there that fit Frost's system? This thread was started about an OT recruit that has flown under the radar and is not highly ranked. As long as Frost isn't taking kids with questionable character trying to fill his class late, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on his evaluation of talent until he proves otherwise. We've had more than our fair share of 4 star busts over the past 2 decades. The Anderson kid IMO fits what we need to be looking for at OT. By the time he gets to Lincoln he is going to be similar in frame and size to what Jaimes was last fall. By all means, I want all the 4-5 star guys we can get IF they fit the system and Frost wants them.

Great. And if we continue to be ranked 20-29 in the recruiting rankings our ceiling will be in the 7-10 range. That is all I am saying.

FWIW I was replying to where the thread went, not to where it started. My point stands, that if Frost and Co were bringing in 4 and 5 star players, where we are ranked in recruiting would be important. Since they are not, the buzz words are character and fit. But as I said, if you want to be the all Boy Scout team loaded with a bunch of diamonds in the rough, that’s cool, you just won’t be in the CFP.

Great. And if we continue to be ranked 20-29 in the recruiting rankings our ceiling will be in the 7-10 range. That is all I am saying.

FWIW I was replying to where the thread went, not to where it started. My point stands, that if Frost and Co were bringing in 4 and 5 star players, where we are ranked in recruiting would be important. Since they are not, the buzz words are character and fit. But as I said, if you want to be the all Boy Scout team loaded with a bunch of diamonds in the rough, that’s cool, you just won’t be in the CFP.
After the past 2 decades of issues we've had, I'll take the all Boy Scout team consistently ranked in the top 20. I think Frost will start getting the top recruits IF he wins consistently. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reactions: GILL T

Gotta walk before you run. Two losing seasons out of four don’t grab the attention of highly sought after OT talent. A surprising 2018 season could certainly help.

Gotta walk before you run. Two losing seasons out of four don’t grab the attention of highly sought after OT talent. A surprising 2018 season could certainly help.

As I said, I am not talking specifically about OT talent.

I am not sure this is walking before running?? We are taking commitments from 3 star guys in May and June. Based on “character and potential”. There are 4 and 5 stars that aren’t committed and the spots are being filled with lower ranked players. That isn’t walking before running, that is done with intent.

Now I will agree that if you win games then you may see more 4 and 5 stars become more overtly interested, but you won’t convince me that this isn’t Frost’s plan. He is on video saying he wants Boy Scouts and guys that are a fit.

I just believe that we are going to try to be more like Wisconsin and less like Ohio St when it comes to recruiting. I also believe that strategy makes it more difficult and less likely to be playing in the CFP.

Reactions: jlb321
This. Contrary to what many pundits are saying about this year being a kind of Mulligan year for Frost, I think this season is VERY important. The Nebraska "brand" has very little bite left to it for the recruits today. I read an article about a kid we are recruiting from Oklahoma who said that he had just been taught about the history of the NU-OU rivalry. He said he now knows that those two teams used to be a rival. Yikes. Makes you feel old.
But the point is Nebraska is just another school among many to these kids. In the middle of nowhere in their eyes. With no identity and little success putting guys into the League of late. And Frost has some mojo going his way but not enough to sway a bunch of 4 and 5 star dudes to come to a school that has had two losing seasons in 3 years. We need Frost to have a good year THIS year in order to generate more recruiting mojo.

A good year would be 8-4 in my view. Maybe 9-3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT