ADVERTISEMENT

Do you wear a mask when at work and/or traveling outside of the home?

Do you wear a mask when at work and/or traveling outside of the home?

• Yes

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 94 79.0%

• Total voters
Yes, I wear a mask while out and about. My brother farms, and he had some masks that he wears while working in his grain bins. He shared a couple with me.

He should. As a EH&S professional those dust particles are extremely dangerous and can be explosive believe it or not.

Here is the thing, it all depends on what mask you are wearing. An N95 surgical mask will protect you, regular N95 masks will not. As someone who had to study Industrial Hygiene and these masks there are no absolutes.

I haven't yet but I have one in my coat pocket. Some people at Costco had them on but most didn't. We had plenty of space to stay away from people in the store.

I did keep my gloves on the whole time in the store and tried not to touch any store surface and then touch my face or a personal item like my keys.Took the gloves off before getting out my keys or touching the steering wheel.

Didn't bother with wiping down the stuff I bought.

Between science classes and working at a dog daycare I've gotten pretty good at properly donning and doffing gloves without contaminating anything.

The video I watched of the doctor in NY talking about masks he said the best use of the mask is it will stop you from touching your own nose or mouth. You may or may not stop aerosolized droplets with whatever kind of mask you can dig up that you're not properly fitted for.

Does anyone know if there is somewhere to purchase Husker cloth masks?

My wife went to Joann’s fabrics and bought some Nebraska themed fabric and made one. She will likely make others.

Reactions: AFTray
For who are in no way domesticated (raises hand) Etsy Offers decently priced options with a quick turnaround. Ordered some today. 6 cloth cotton machine washable for $30.00.

I did speak to a friend of mine who is a Dr. about this and she is a big proponent though she did feel that this is more good samaritan in terms of helping you stop the spread whether than preventing you from contracting the virus. Sadly, she felt this would only be supremely effective if the public adopted it in mass. Basically, if we all do this then it can help flatten the curve substantially in her estimation just don’t feel like this changes the degree of caution you have been using while going out.

Reactions: AFTray and TOMHP
The masks are more of a prevention to others around us than it is protecting ourselves..

The problem is finding someone that makes them and have them make you a couple..

I started wearing one.. have isolated for the last 2 weeks and only went out when needed. Always carry sanitizer in my pocket and have eye glasses. My thoughts are me and my 5 year old girl have diabetes. Type1.. no sense in taking the risk. I dont really care if I get dirty looks for wearing a mask. I honestly do not see a downside to wearing one..can anyone tell me a downside? But all the upside to wearing one.. i think this answers my question...

Here is the thing, it all depends on what mask you are wearing. An N95 surgical mask will protect you, regular N95 masks will not. As someone who had to study Industrial Hygiene and these masks there are no absolutes.
Well N95 is best for sure and needed by healthcare workers, first responders, etc. No dispute about that.

But I believe it also is incorrect according to CDC information yesterday to say that other masks offer NO protection. At a minimum they would prevent droplets from traveling as far as from someone without any mask. And yes the benefits can be negated with things like touching your hands to them after touching other surfaces. So it all comes down to behavior but they can offer some protection for people that only go to a grocery store and are careful.

That’s fine the majority of us are doing the same but don’t you have to get groceries...That’s the tough part..

Hy-Vee and Walmart both do delivery service (as do a few others) and if you want to use another store that doesn't deliver there are plenty of grocery delivery services out there like shipt or instacart.

Hy-Vee and Walmart both do delivery service (as do a few others) and if you want to use another store that doesn't deliver there are plenty of grocery delivery services out there like shipt or instacart.

That is all fine but at times I don’t know what I need till I actually see it in the store.. Just don’t spend more than a half hour there.. plus you never know who delivers your grocery what they have too.:D

I started wearing one.. have isolated for the last 2 weeks and only went out when needed. Always carry sanitizer in my pocket and have eye glasses. My thoughts are me and my 5 year old girl have diabetes. Type1.. no sense in taking the risk. I dont really care if I get dirty looks for wearing a mask. I honestly do not see a downside to wearing one..can anyone tell me a downside? But all the upside to wearing one.. i think this answers my question...

You can't tell if he or she is hot and are takin the chance of picking up on an uggo if you decide to try and hit on said mask wearer...other than that, no downside i'm aware of.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT