ADVERTISEMENT

Do you wear a mask when at work and/or traveling outside of the home?

Do you wear a mask when at work and/or traveling outside of the home?

• Yes

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • No

Votes: 94 79.0%

• Total voters
No but I do have a strange desire to lick door knobs on occassion. Its like pacifist Russian roulette.

QL7cJII.jpg

I wear gloves as well, no mask. We also carry disinfectants with us in vehicles and into stores. I have a special chemical from school I hose iPads and other technology with.

People really need to read the labels on their disinfectants and how to use them properly.

Please - masks are way more important than the gloves. Gloves help if you touch something then touch your eyes, mouth or nose. You can always wash your hands if you get out of the habit of touching your face.

A mask may stop you (or anyone +)from spreading and can inhibit the virus from getting in the air to your mouth or nose.

Successful Asian countries all give at least partial credit to mask wearing.

Just curious as I do not.
No... I don't have any symptoms of the virus. The masks don't prevent you from getting it. The only thing they are good for is stopping the spray from coughs and sneezes if you have it.

Too many people don't get that... but if it were mandatory that we all wear one for 2 weeks straight outside of the house... and we all followed through with it the virus would be gone. No way for it to spread. The fact is, masks are irrelevant for you if you don't have the virus. If the person next to you has it and coughs in your area your still likely to get it.

Read Myth #1

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/fitness/lifestyle/a31468977/coronavirus-symptoms-news

Last edited:
Please - masks are way more important than the gloves. Gloves help if you touch something then touch your eyes, mouth or nose. You can always wash your hands if you get out of the habit of touching your face.

A mask may stop you (or anyone +)from spreading and can inhibit the virus from getting in the air to your mouth or nose.

Successful Asian countries all give at least partial credit to mask wearing.
follow this advice

Would this be the appropriate place to tell people to leave your dog in the car?? If you need a dog to go thru Home Depot then don't go. #triggered

Guilty.

Reactions: WHCSC and tpmcg
No... I don't have any symptoms of the virus. The masks don't prevent you from getting it. The only thing they are good for is stopping the spray from coughs and sneezes if you have it.

Too many people don't get that... but if it were mandatory that we all wear one for 2 weeks straight outside of the house... and we all followed through with it the virus would be gone. No way for it to spread. The fact is, masks are irrelevant for you if you don't have the virus. If the person next to you has it and coughs in your area your still likely to get it.

Read Myth #1

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/fitness/lifestyle/a31468977/coronavirus-symptoms-news

Is that why all healthcare workers wear masks? To stop healthcare workers from getting the sick people sick?

Yes, everyone should be wearing a mask when they go our in public.

I try not to go out much, I am one of those high risk outfits. Anyway, so Joe Blow goes out and puts his mask on and touches things in the store, my wife comes along and buys the can of beans he picked up and decided he didn't want. She brings it home courtesy of Joe and it gets passed around. Or Joe goes to Lowes and looks at tools and sheet rock just ahead of me and didn't know he was infected but at least did have a mask on when he went to Lowes but who knows where his hands were before that and the fact that he had his hands all over infected areas before had. I understand it goes airborne but it also lives on things. Makes me wonder what has been touched before I got there.

Last Friday the county announced we are to shelter in place starting Monday. So people were out Friday evening getting stocked up. Wife and I went to Menards and there were lines at both checkers. Got behind this lady and she had a flat full of stuff and had been waiting for a little while. I was in no hurry. She turned around and said I am getting out of this line, the checker ( a guy) cleared his throat. That concerned her.

It's just kind of weird feeling to wonder who has touched something before you now that this new friend is around.

Reactions: BigKCHusker
Is that why all healthcare workers wear masks? To stop healthcare workers from getting the sick people sick?
Google is a wonderful thing. Masks are primarily to prevent sick people from infecting others. Healthcare workers use them because they are in extremely close proximity to infected patients at all times, and having a mask is better than having nothing, but that’s all.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/health/us-coronavirus-face-masks.amp.html

Reactions: BroskiRed
So if it’s on the internet it’s true. Quick let me buy some hosting so my opinion can be true.

Too bad there isn’t a common sense site.

When people look back at this crisis, the lack of wearing masks in the Western countries and the crap advice from CDC and WHO about it are going to be seen as the primary contributor to the massive numbers we have now. It's true that masks won't prevent you inhaling the virus in aerosol form, but you rarely run into that circumstance. Much more likely is airborne exposure through larger particulate from other people's coughs and sneezes, etc. The numbers between countries using masks and those who aren't are night and day.

The lack of available masks has led to rationed care with masks going to medical professionals and patients. Hopefully millions more masks come available soon because everyone in hot spots will need them. You see everyone in Wuhan wearing them. Not that I know more than anyone else but that’s what I believe.

When people look back at this crisis, the lack of wearing masks in the Western countries and the crap advice from CDC and WHO about it are going to be seen as the primary contributor to the massive numbers we have now. It's true that masks won't prevent you inhaling the virus in aerosol form, but you rarely run into that circumstance. Much more likely is airborne exposure through larger particulate from other people's coughs and sneezes, etc. The numbers between countries using masks and those who aren't are night and day.

Interesting idea.

I wonder about people using them correctly and the efficacy. Would they be disposed of when needed properly etc etc.

Masks are probably down the list a ways.

Sick people staying home. Everyone washing their hands more and limiting high risk individuals might accomplish more.

If you're healthy and it gets on your mask, what are your chances of getting it? I know if it's on your mask it's likely other places. Just trying to get an idea.

Yes, I wear a mask while out and about. My brother farms, and he had some masks that he wears while working in his grain bins. He shared a couple with me.

Reactions: bomber89
Critical thinking has become a lost art.
Here let me post from the article you must not have read. I read things to make my decisions. Health care workers wear them as well as the patient for limited spray

"The virus can transmit through your eyes and is transported through tiny particles, called aerosols, that can penetrate masks. However, for health workers and social carers dealing with the sick, face masks are an essential part of keeping both parties safe — people roaming around a city, however, will see little benefit from wearing one."

I usually wear a Hillary Clinton mask one of my kids had for Halloween a few years back. That usually keeps people 10-15 feet away from me at all time, thus lessening the chance of contracting the virus via airborne transfer.

To be fair, most are scared they'll die, but not by the virus. #ClintonBodyCount RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh

I wear gloves as well, no mask. We also carry disinfectants with us in vehicles and into stores. I have a special chemical from school I hose iPads and other technology with.

People really need to read the labels on their disinfectants and how to use them properly.
Now are you like 99% of the people I see who wear gloves? They wear gloves then proceed to touch wallets, purses, keys, cellphones, CCs, steering wheels ect with those same gloves on. So basically defeating the purpose of wearing gloves because now all that stuff is contaminated from the germs on your gloves.

If you don't touch your face with your hands while in the store and then use hand sanitizer when you leave the store and wash them properly when you get home, you are just as likely to have avoided anything that will infect you as wearing gloves into the store. If your cans, boxes, bags are going to have the virus living on them, they would still have it on them when you get home, whether you wore gloves into the store or not. And if it was on your shopping cart handle, as long as you didn't touch your face and then sterilized/washed your hands after, again - no transmission.

When there is such a shortage of masks for those who truly need them, unless you are in high risk category or working closely with those who are - such as nursing home and other health care employees - are you really helping by wearing a mask that could have been used by someone who really needed it but couldn't get it? As has been stated, wearing the mask has little bearing on whether you contract the disease for the vast majority of us.

Based on studies out of Italy, it is likely that more than a quarter of us in areas where it has appeared in any numbers have already been infected, without ever knowing it anyway.

Reactions: husker2612
Now are you like 99% of the people I see who wear gloves? They wear gloves then proceed to touch wallets, purses, keys, cellphones, CCs, steering wheels ect with those same gloves on. So basically defeating the purpose of wearing gloves because now all that stuff is contaminated from the germs on your gloves.

No, I keep disinfectant ready to keep spraying things down. It is a ritual to spray all things down. We do not have kids so it is just between my bride and I. We are both cognizant that the virus could potentially be on anything that comes from the store or out in public. As hard as one tries, it is really hard to catch everything! So yes, you have a very good point.

Reactions: husker2612
No, I keep disinfectant ready to keep spraying things down. It is a ritual to spray all things down. We do not have kids so it is just between my bride and I. We are both cognizant that the virus could potentially be on anything that comes from the store or out in public. As hard as one tries, it is really hard to catch everything! So yes, you have a very good point.
My wife is nurse and it drives her nut when she sees people in the stores with gloves using their cell phones. She will actually go up to them and tell them wearing gloves is pointless if you are just going to touch everything. She gets a lot of dirty looks. lol

I bought 10 N 95 masks during the ebola outbreak so we wear them the few times we go to stores...the mask is the #1 most important tool to defeat this pandemic and we better have a plan in place that every person has easy and cheap access come next fall when we go back to work. Some will have their wrist bands stating immunity but the rest of us should be in masks.

Yes..I make a homemade mask. Everytime I go out.

The doctors today said a multiple layer mask can help. Just don't assume you are safe and go out more than normal.

ADVERTISEMENT