ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think we can win a ground and pound game?

I look for MC and VV to have big games. If we can keep it at 2nd and long instead of 2nd and med/short then that will determine who has the advantage throughout the evening.

Yes.
Memorial Stadium will be rock'n and the Hawkeye's will feel our wrath!

The two teams are really close if it turns into a pure rushing game.

Iowa is 37th in the country in rushing yards per carry. We're 40th. Iowa is 18th in rushing yards allowed per carry. We're 24th. Not a big difference, and I think home field is enough to make up for it. (Iowa has a lot more yards rushing than we do, they've rushed more often and haven't turned the ball often as much)

Can we win a rushing slugfest? Absolutely think we can. Game could turn into a low scoring affair decided by one big play somewhere.

Absolutely if we commit to it. Power plus some reads for TA give us a combination Iowa doesn't have. Also, I think Iowa's linebackers are not what they have been in recent years.

Absolutely if we commit to it. Power plus some reads for TA give us a combination Iowa doesn't have. Also, I think Iowa's linebackers are not what they have been in recent years.

Iowa's LBs are a big improvement over last years team but not on the same level as the 2013 team. Cole Fisher had a rough game against MN (bit down on run after run and let the TE go free) but other than that game the LBs have been a very pleasant surprise. Iowa D line is tough up the middle Johnson is a future high draft pick but DE play has been suspect since Ott went down (that kids was a stud).

The corners tackle well King better than Mabin and the safeties lay wood (Lomax and Taylor are big hitters). Best bet of rushing will be if TA is actively involved, QB draws and read options will work, line up and try to traditional run it won't be near as effective. If TA throws it less than 25 times that is probably good for NE w Iowa back side D but TA is going to be the one that needs to do the damage w his legs.

Iowa's rush per yard don't really show the run games effectiveness as they have been playing with leads into the 4th and running into 9 in the box. That, IMO, has hurt their YPC but even when the other team absolutely knew iowa was running they still picked up good enough yardage. Iowa's interior line is really really good and Mark Weisman isn't carrying the ball anymore (thank god).

It might very well be a ground game for Iowa I wouldn't be at all surprised if Iowa sits Beathard for the Purdue and Nebraska games and plays Tyler Wiegers saving Beathard for the B1G Championship game and beyond.

It won`t matter if it`s ground and pound, air raid, dash for cash or whatever we have no shot. At least that`s what I
get after reading threads the last 10 days.

We ran the ball on Michigan State we can run the ball on Iowa. The better question is, can Iowa run the ball on us? I don't think they can. They will need to pass which, unfortunately, has not been a problem against us this year.

It might very well be a ground game for Iowa I wouldn't be at all surprised if Iowa sits Beathard for the Purdue and Nebraska games and plays Tyler Wiegers saving Beathard for the B1G Championship game and beyond.
No way they sit their QB. They need to win them all to get in the playoffs.

I'm as big an advocate as you will find for NU being more committed to running the ball. But it's not because I want them to be one-dimensional, it's because they need balance. Too many times this season they've abandoned the run and made themselves one-dimensional on the passing side, and that's been a train wreck.

You sure your name isn't FunnyNed? I would say that neither one of us wins the game with our backup QB.

I've never seen Wiegers, which means I'm not basing it on his performance. I just have a lot of respect for what Beathard has done this year. I think he is what makes your offense so dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT