ADVERTISEMENT

Do You Think We’ll Play???

HuskerLove1

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2018
We’re currently 48 days from our supposed first game of the season against Purdue on 9/5 - who actually thinks we’ll play?

With COVID cases seemingly on the rise, I say there is less than a 10% chance we’ll see any college football this fall. NFL yes, because there is just way too much money involved, but unfortunately I don’t believe college will be a go this year.

Thoughts?

My best guess: Empty stadiums, season will start... duration of season unknown before they shut it down...however long they go covid cases could potentially mess with rosters pretty severely.
The season will be a giant cluster, but kids will play football and hopefully have some fun.

Setting thresholds and protocols for positive cases will be interesting.

I just don't see this happening. One player test positive. Are you gonna quarantine the entire team? This will get real ugly fast. I can imagine California, Oregon and Florida shutting down football. I guess we will find out. Wild times we live in.

Reactions: Catch50
I just don't see this happening. One player test positive. Are you gonna quarantine the entire team? This will get real ugly fast. I can imagine California, Oregon and Florida shutting down football. I guess we will find out. Wild times we live in.
Exactly, for instance if Ohio st have a out break on the week before the Michigan game will they be allowed to play? Would they have to forfeit? No way does Ohio st take a forfeit. That’s why I’m guessing there won’t be a season. It can be used the same as OU vs Texas or Alabama vs auburn. None of those teams would take a forfeit if there quarantined

Reactions: bigboxes
We’re currently 48 days from our supposed first game of the season against Purdue on 9/5 - who actually thinks we’ll play?

With COVID cases seemingly on the rise, I say there is less than a 10% chance we’ll see any college football this fall. NFL yes, because there is just way too much money involved, but unfortunately I don’t believe college will be a go this year.

Thoughts?

Yes, it could be one game, it could be two games or it could be all 9 games. My guess, they will at least give it a try. Just way to much money involved not to try. They did pull off the shine bowl and things went fine. College football is much different but it’s just the point.

Exactly, for instance if Ohio st have a out break on the week before the Michigan game will they be allowed to play? Would they have to forfeit? No way does Ohio st take a forfeit. That’s why I’m guessing there won’t be a season. It can be used the same as OU vs Texas or Alabama vs auburn. None of those teams would take a forfeit if there quarantined

Yup. If the numbers keep on skyrocketing here and in Florida there is going to be pressure to shut down cities, to shut down counties and eventually the states themselves. I would love to wish it away. I keep getting reminded of it ever day. I hate wearing a mask. I also hate the ICUs filling up.

Urban Meyer sounded upbeat the other day....but qualified it with "not all conferences, and not all games".

I can see the SEC making a go of it, which is probably the heart of Urban's comment. I don't think the B1G will. PSU now reversing course and offering something like 20% of class in person now, another 25% or so hybrid and the rest remote.

Personally, ain't gonna happen. Although I call BS, the pendulum is swung way over there and the powers that be want it nixed. Already stabbed with a fork. Just waiting for the knife

Thoughts?
curious if anyone has surveyed a team or players in general.

Coin toss as far as I can see. Covid cases are on the rise but people really want college football. If I was forced to place a bet I would say there will not be a season.

I think there will be football. Yes. Now will it be as we're used to? Of course not. Paired down schedule, less fans, some school will probably sit out....but somebody will play somewhere.

I believe and hope that the season will start at some point but eventually they’ll have to shout the season down and not play as many games as what they were hoping for..

Yup. If the numbers keep on skyrocketing here and in Florida there is going to be pressure to shut down cities, to shut down counties and eventually the states themselves. I would love to wish it away. I keep getting reminded of it ever day. I hate wearing a mask. I also hate the ICUs filling up.

Looks like hospitilizations have already peaked. Let's hope it's accurate.

Participant safety will be the #1 concern (ie. players, coaches/staff, fans, etc.), but I think the biggest hurdle is going to be around logistics. If a team has an outbreak two days before they are scheduled to play, how is their opponent supposed to scramble and find someone else to play against on such short notice? Not only will it be really difficult to find a team that's available, but we all know how much red-tape there is and good luck finding counsel on both sides being able to agree to contract terms within a day. Oh yea, and even if they do come to an agreement that quickly, good luck with transportation and a place to stay for an entire football team...

Yes, it could be one game, it could be two games or it could be all 9 games. My guess, they will at least give it a try. Just way to much money involved not to try. They did pull off the shine bowl and things went fine. College football is much different but it’s just the point.
They say the TV money will make college football happen, but I am wondering if it could potentially have the opposite effect. What if a network said, we will not honor our contract unless you can guarantee a certain amount of games? Or that certain games are played? So if Ohio State and Michigan cannot play each other, does that mean that the entire Big 10 must sit out as well? If half a league wants to play, can they play without the other league members? Or will everyone stick together and say wait until spring where we can get all of the TV money as opposed to a smaller share?

It seems like the idea of playing regional opponents has been taken off the table. So if major conferences postpone the season but four teams from the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Mountain West, Pac 10 and Notre Dame can play each other, they still won't be able to due to conference loyalties and TV contracts.

Last edited:
IMO, conferences going to watch MLB for outbreaks once it gets going. I’d expect B1G 10 to announce no fans once they release updated schedule. Maybe see games start 2nd weekend in September and take it week by week. I know a previous post referred to OSU/UM sort of dictating how this might go and I agree, but I wonder how Northwestern’s stance will drive how some decisions are made. If at some point they say count us out,than the the whole conference shuts it down.

Let's see what comes out of the Shrine game, whether or not it was a Covid seeding event.

The Shrine game, other than workers/Shriners, might have seriously had like 3 people with masks on. There was a specific section behind the end zone where people could go if they wanted everyone in their section to have to wear a mask. There was 2 people in that section. Take that for what it’s worth...but I also think it would be hard to track cases back to that game just because people came from all over Nebraska.

Participants are a whole different ballgame though.

If the NFL, college football or anyone else wants to pull this off, they will have to change how they do things. No more "rooms" of position groups. Make it all online. No more team meetings of any sort. Stagger locker room usage. The only place the players should be all together is spread out on the practice field. If one player has COVID, I would think that other players who have been close to him would be tested and potentially quarantined for up to two weeks. The key will be to prevent mass outbreak. Having said that, these players will be hanging out together off the field, some are roommates, so the off the field issues are the main concern to me.

The Shrine game, other than workers/Shriners, might have seriously had like 3 people with masks on. There was a specific section behind the end zone where people could go if they wanted everyone in their section to have to wear a mask. There was 2 people in that section. Take that for what it’s worth...but I also think it would be hard to track cases back to that game just because people came from all over Nebraska.

Participants are a whole different ballgame though.
All the more reason IMO why it is a good case study. I'd hope contact tracing would allow some analysis.

Good point. Where is the line drawn between playing a game that week or moving it back a month to an open date? Or playing a game vs. forfeiting or cancelling? I could see some teams being good sports and playing a game with a number of starters out. But if Jim Harbaugh has some injuries and some players out with COVID concerns? Does he say "next man up" and go ahead & play Rutgers anyway? But what if that opponent is Ohio State?

They say the TV money will make college football happen, but I am wondering if it could potentially have the opposite effect. What if a network said, we will not honor our contract unless you can guarantee a certain amount of games? Or that certain games are played? So if Ohio State and Michigan cannot play each other, does that mean that the entire Big 10 must sit out as well? If half a league wants to play, can they play without the other league members? Or will everyone stick together and say wait until spring where we can get all of the TV money as opposed to a smaller share?

It seems like the idea of playing regional opponents has been taken off the table. So if major conferences postpone the season but four teams from the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Mountain West, Pac 10 and Notre Dame can play each other, they still won't be able to due to conference loyalties and TV contracts.

They will make money playing any games at all vs not playing at all. It’s just how it works. I’m sure this season with TV deals and so on would have things changed up and altered around in some way to favor the teams playing and how the COVID-19 virus has messed with everyone. Playing a few games is always better then having zeros a crossed the country, you know?

They will make money playing any games at all vs not playing at all. It’s just how it works. I’m sure this season with TV deals and so on would have things changed up and altered around in some way to favor the teams playing and how the COVID-19 virus has messed with everyone. Playing a few games is always better then having zeros a crossed the country, you know?
I could not agree more. But that move it to the spring option makes me nervous. What happens if teams that cannot play want to play in the spring? Is it possible to have a fall season if half the league won't play or wants to move it back to the spring?

I could not agree more. But that move it to the spring option makes me nervous. What happens if teams that cannot play want to play in the spring? Is it possible to have a fall season if half the league won't play or wants to move it back to the spring?

no clue my man, that’s were I think some of us are over thinking it to much (don’t mean you and now necessarily). I think they will figure some things out and everyone that plays will be fine. This year will be different all the way around and everyone that wants to play will have to be adjustable to make this odd ball season work. Outside that....I’m in a wait and see mode. My guess is we will play one way or another. A few games or all 9 games with no bowl games, playoffs or national title. Just my opinion.

curious if anyone has surveyed a team or players in general.

I’m guessing approx 95-99% of players want to play. There will be a handful who don’t want to, and they should be given the chance to opt out without any judgment.... the only catch being impact on eligibility.

Eligibility rules might have a strong influence over what goes down if not all conferences can play or don’t play equal games.

But if you ask a football player if he wants to play football, the answer will be a resounding “yes.”

Reactions: scarletred
If the NFL, college football or anyone else wants to pull this off, they will have to change how they do things. No more "rooms" of position groups. Make it all online. No more team meetings of any sort. Stagger locker room usage. The only place the players should be all together is spread out on the practice field. If one player has COVID, I would think that other players who have been close to him would be tested and potentially quarantined for up to two weeks. The key will be to prevent mass outbreak. Having said that, these players will be hanging out together off the field, some are roommates, so the off the field issues are the main concern to me.
So I can tackle someone but not be in the same room for a team meeting? Isolation of the team as a whole is probably a better approach.

Thoughts?
I change my mind on this by the day. As of now I don't think we play. It is also going to depend on what the ncaa and the BIG10 say. If both allow programs to play at their discretion and to be able to play other teams who are willing. I think Nebraska will figure out a way to have some games. If not left up to the individual programs I don't see us having a season of any kind until 2021. Just saw all California highschools have postponed the season until Jan. I think we are going to see similar things start happening the closer we get to football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT