ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think we’ll have to settle for Craig Bohl?

BugsAreQualityProtein

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
There have been a few threads on here about potential replacements for Scott Frost. And I have to say none of the perspective candidates mentioned seem all that appealing. Names like Jeremy Chadwell, Jeff Monken, Matt Campbell, Chris klieman, Lance leipold, and Gus Malzahn.

Jeff Monken, solid coach but I’m not sure his triple option offense is right for the Power Five level. I don’t doubt it’s effectiveness, but can it go punch for punch with today’s wide open spread offenses?

Jeremy Chadwell. Too many unknowns, seems too similar of a hire like Frost or Norvell.

Matt Campbell. Cannot defeat Iowa. No further explanation needed.

Chris Klieman. Not really impressed with his work so far at K-State. 2020 wasn’t a great year for most, but getting shutout by the boy wonder above doesn’t cut it.

Lance Leipold. Solid option, but we would have to buy Frost out and then buy Lance out of his Contract with Kansas.

Gus Malzahn. Might as well as beg Pelini to come back at this point.

The pickings just seem slim this year in the coaching market overall. I feel like the hire will be similar to Trev’s. Some people will hate it, some will love it, but overall the response will be lukewarm. Not advocating to keep Frost, just seems like the next coach will be a transitional coach. Like the coach before the coach.

All of the coaches you mention have won and consistently have won during their careers as head coaches.

Kansas State, having played a P5 school and an FCS school, has a top 10 rush defense in the country. They are one of the best teams in the country after two games in yards rushing per play. They are ranked high in special teams effeciency.

Is Kansas State an explosive team that puts up a lot of yards but few points? No. They play solid football and get the job done. It's the exact same way he won titles at North Dakota State.

Lance already has Kansas playing their best football in years and they don't even have good talent on that roster.

Out of the 8 names of Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze, Jeff Monken, Lance Leipold, , Chris Klieman, Jamey Chadwell, Jeff Hafley, and Bronco Mendenhall one of them would take the Nebraska job.

Nebraska isn't going to get anyone interested that are named Urban Meyer, Peterson, Bob Stoops, Brian Kelly, and so on.

The smart thing to do is, and it's what I did, start by looking at the schemes they run and if they have won consistently. The top names are known, so you go with the next group under that consistently win.

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
All of the coaches you mention have won and consistently have won during their careers as head coaches.

Kansas State, having played a P5 school and an FCS school, has a top 10 rush defense in the country. They are one of the best teams in the country after two games in yards rushing per play. They are ranked high in special teams effeciency.

Is Kansas State an explosive team that puts up a lot of yards but few points? No. They play solid football and get the job done. It's the exact same way he won titles at North Dakota State.

Lance already has Kansas playing their best football in years and they don't even have good talent on that roster.

Out of the 8 names of Gus Malzahn, Hugh Freeze, Jeff Monken, Lance Leipold, , Chris Klieman, Jamey Chadwell, Jeff Hafley, and Bronco Mendenhall one of them would take the Nebraska job.

Nebraska isn't going to get anyone interested that are named Urban Meyer, Peterson, Bob Stoops, Brian Kelly, and so on.

The smart thing to do is, and it's what I did, start by looking at the schemes they run and if they have won consistently. The top names are known, so you go with the next group under that consistently win.
I guess we will have to see where Klieman and Chadwell’s seasons go this year. I too believe Nebraska will be most successful with a run first offense. I’m not sold you’ll ever be able to recruit the type of talent Scott Frost needs to run the offense he wants here. That would involve a quality pocket passer at QB, and a core of 4 or 5 star receivers. Come to think of it besides Callahan no one ever recruited exceptionally well at Nebraska in terms of national rankings.

I guess we will have to see where Klieman and Chadwell’s seasons go this year. I too believe Nebraska will be most successful with a run first offense. I’m not sold you’ll ever be able to recruit the type of talent Scott Frost needs to run the offense he wants here. That would involve a quality pocket passer at QB, and a core of 4 or 5 star receivers. Come to think of it besides Callahan no one ever recruited exceptionally well at Nebraska in terms of national rankings.

Coastal Carolina should win all of their games this regular season. It would be the 2nd year in a row they would do that.

Kansas State plays Nevada this Saturday and that will be a tough game for them. We will see how they do.

Kansas State spends a lot of time on special teams. It's a major focus of theirs, unlike Frost who hired some no-name kid out of college.

don't know bout frost, season will tell, wish him 100% success. especially getting the run game going to take pressure of martinez's arm. I like frost , think he's a good coach, just wish he would of got 5 more years as a hc at a less pressure packed program to get his ducks inline. but if he was good at that he may have went elsewhere, so NU pulled the trigger.

I do know this dc seems more media friendly then the last dc we made hc
and has things heading in the right direction.

so lets say we win 5 games..or 4...and anti-frost fans get the brass a firing....

making the dc an interim, affords you the chance of getting a more run based oc.
so next year if they did give frost the boot. you wouldn't be forced into naming a new hc...
and at least 50% of recruiting wouldn't be affected.

but hopefully we win the rest of the games we should this year...

Reactions: BleedRed78
There have been a few threads on here about potential replacements for Scott Frost. And I have to say none of the perspective candidates mentioned seem all that appealing. Names like Jeremy Chadwell, Jeff Monken, Matt Campbell, Chris klieman, Lance leipold, and Gus Malzahn.

Jeff Monken, solid coach but I’m not sure his triple option offense is right for the Power Five level. I don’t doubt it’s effectiveness, but can it go punch for punch with today’s wide open spread offenses?

Jeremy Chadwell. Too many unknowns, seems too similar of a hire like Frost or Norvell.

Chris Klieman. Not really impressed with his work so far at K-State. 2020 wasn’t a great year for most, but getting shutout by the boy wonder above doesn’t cut it.

Lance Leipold. Solid option, but we would have to buy Frost out and then buy Lance out of his Contract with Kansas.

The pickings just seem slim this year in the coaching market overall. I feel like the hire will be similar to Trev’s. Some people will hate it, some will love it, but overall the response will be lukewarm. Not advocating to keep Frost, just seems like the next coach will be a transitional coach. Like the coach before the coach.

Chris Klieman is 2-0 against Oklahoma and K-State was negatively impacted by the pandemic I heard. Second year implementing your program was impacted by a pandemic.

Wow

Coastal Carolina should win all of their games this regular season. It would be the 2nd year in a row they would do that.

Kansas State plays Nevada this Saturday and that will be a tough game for them. We will see how they do.

Kansas State spends a lot of time on special teams. It's a major focus of theirs, unlike Frost who hired some no-name kid out of college.
So Nevada is now a tough opponent? You would think that Kansas St and their strong run defense and power run offensive attack would be able to blow out a team that runs an Air Raid offense that throws the ball 43 times a game and has only run the ball 45 times in 2 games.

Chris Klieman is 2-0 against Oklahoma and K-State was negatively impacted by the pandemic I heard. Second year implementing your program was impacted by a pandemic.

Wow
He is also 0-2 against Baylor, West Virginia, Texas and Oklahoma St. No matter how you slice it, he is .500 Big 12 coach.

You got some bites on this troll, but you need to up your game cuz it really is some weak shit

I wish that was the case.
How is it not? Fan base and support. Only show in town. NIL money. Players are stars here. Academic support. Soon to have the best facilities in the nation. Not saying we will be Bama but sure have enough to win the pathetic Big 10 west every year. That's not too much to ask for is it?.

were talking about replacing a coach that went 3-5 in the big ten and replacing him with a coach that went 4-6 in the big 12. Losing his last 5 games.

Have we reached peak stupidity?

Frost isn't getting fired.

know one cares how the coach is with the media.

Stupidity is what you are doing...ignoring the entire resume.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Face it, we’re the program Frost is cutting his teeth on. We need him to build new identities (any identity would be good Scott) and traditions because the 90’s are irrelevant in today’s game. Kids have no idea how good Nebraska used to be and they don’t care. They are interested in NIL, uniforms, and if the program get them to the league.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Craig Bohl.LOL.. He got fired from here along time ago and i dont think he would even be thought of if and when the job opens!
Especially when firing a coach that had played for Nebraska again..
Craig Bohl didn’t see the field much as a player here and was fired as Defensive coordinator..

Alberts noway would consider Bohl..

Reactions: Baxter48
Especially when firing a coach that had played for Nebraska again..
Craig Bohl didn’t see the field much as a player here and was fired as Defensive coordinator..

Alberts noway would consider Bohl..
I do think he's an excellent coach. Things outside coaching led to his firing at Nebraska. His personal life was a mess but he's sober now. That said, I don't think we need to go down that road with a recovering alcoholic. I don't think it would be good for us or him.

I do think he's an excellent coach. Things outside coaching led to his firing at Nebraska. His personal life was a mess but he's sober now. That said, I don't think we need to go down that road with a recovering alcoholic. I don't think it would be good for us or him.
I think he is a good coach as well.. But were not going done that road with hiring another person who played and Coached for Nebraska as the next hire to be our football coach..

Or, maybe Craig Bohl would “settle” for Nebraska.

He is also 0-2 against Baylor, West Virginia, Texas and Oklahoma St. No matter how you slice it, he is .500 Big 12 coach.

And, other than Bill Snyder, who has won in Manhattan consistently?

I have been there for one game. Bill Snyder became coach the next season.

We shall see how Chris Klieman does, but couldn't be easy having a Year 2 like last year.

Jay Norvell I like. He took out Purdue his first season there.

Should be a close game on Saturday.

OP is this your official list?
No, it’s just a compilation of some of the names I’ve seen discussed on other threads. I’m just pointing out that there seems to be no slam dunk hire out there. Craig Bohl doesn’t seem any worse than Chris Klieman, other than his age.

Craig Bohl.LOL.. He got fired from here along time ago and i dont think he would even be thought of if and when the job opens!
So was Doc Saddler, he's back although as an assistant.

And, other than Bill Snyder, who has won in Manhattan consistently?

I have been there for one game. Bill Snyder became coach the next season.

We shall see how Chris Klieman does, but couldn't be easy having a Year 2 like last year.

Jay Norvell I like. He took out Purdue his first season there.

Should be a close game on Saturday.
Who cares, those are just excuses. He is barely .500 overall and is .500 in the league. If he was such a fabulous coach that can turn Nebraska around, Nevada should not be a problem nor a tough game.

ADVERTISEMENT