ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think these Big Ten teams will be better or worse than they were in 2020?

Cornicator

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Feb 27, 2009
Meadville
Going into 2021, do you believe the following Big Ten teams on Nebraska's schedule, will be worse or better than what they were in 2020? And yes, I'm replacing Rutgers with Michigan State and Penn State with Michigan.

Illinois
Michigan State- ( Will MSU be better or worse than Rutgers in 2020?)
Michigan - ( Will Michigan be better or worse than Penn State in 2020?)
Northwestern
Minnesota
Purdue
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Iowa

And then finally, do you think Nebraska will have a better team or worse team than their 2020 squad?

all those teams will, like every year in the b1g, be basically the exact same

msu >> rutgers

I think we will be about the same, too
I agree...

If you look over a lot of those Big Ten teams lifetime wins/losses you can see just how average they have been

Purdue 519%
Indiana under 500
MSU 600
Illini 500

I don't see where Nebraska can get worse being we return everyone. We have 2 gimme games but also have 2 auto losses (which most teams don't have --Iowa, Wisconsin and NW don't play Ohio St). Idc what anyone says that's the only team you don't want to play in the B10 right now. Many analysts have Oklahoma winning the natty or getting there and losing.

I don't see where Nebraska can get worse being we return everyone. We have 2 gimme games but also have 2 auto losses (which most teams don't have --Iowa, Wisconsin and NW don't play Ohio St). Idc what anyone says that's the only team you don't want to play in the B10 right now. Many analysts have Oklahoma winning the natty or getting there and losing.
our most effective offensive player (Mills) left

Illinois - who knows, IMHO, they will be better coached and probably more physical offensively.

Michigan St - will be no better than Rutgers 2020. Not a fan of their coach, Hazelton is a pretty good DC, but they lack experience and perhaps talent in the back 7. Offense may be better than people think, if, like everyone else in the Big Ten, the QB play is better.

Michigan - will be about the same as Penn St was at the end of the year, not when they played Nebraska. The defense has talent, but how will they do under the new DC and what will the new DC want to run defensively. Will they start the true freshman at QB? Oline will be decent, RBs the starter returns, and there is depth.

Northwestern - worse than last year, QB play will be the difference. Defense will be strong, replacing the 2 LBs will be a big challenge. WR is also a position that is questionable.

Minnesota about the same, defense will be suspect as it always is with a PJ Fleck coached team.

Purdue - Not sure what is going on there, revolving door of DCs, I don't think they will be any better, I say the same as 2020.

Ohio State - Doesn't matter, even if they are worse, we aren't in their stratosphere at this point.

Wisconsin - Like Nebraska depends on the QB and also finding the depth at RB they need to run the ball like they like to, Berger can't do it alone . Chryst is taking over playcalling duties and QB coaching, so that is a positive for them. The defense will be pretty stout. Definitely a better record, but production could be similar on average. Psyche could play a factor, Penn St, Notre Dame and Michigan in 3 of the first 4 games, 1-3 and the wheels could fall off, 4-0 and they will win the west going away.

Iowa - Better QB play is imperative. I don't care how he played to end last season, teams will stack the box early and make Petras beat them. Replacing a lot of WR, OLine and Dline talent from last year, while some have playing experience, it isn't the same as being the starter. Also no proven depth behind those guys. Overall, about the same as last year.

Illinois - who knows, IMHO, they will be better coached and probably more physical offensively.

Michigan St - will be no better than Rutgers 2020. Not a fan of their coach, Hazelton is a pretty good DC, but they lack experience and perhaps talent in the back 7. Offense may be better than people think, if, like everyone else in the Big Ten, the QB play is better.

Michigan - will be about the same as Penn St was at the end of the year, not when they played Nebraska. The defense has talent, but how will they do under the new DC and what will the new DC want to run defensively. Will they start the true freshman at QB? Oline will be decent, RBs the starter returns, and there is depth.

Northwestern - worse than last year, QB play will be the difference. Defense will be strong, replacing the 2 LBs will be a big challenge. WR is also a position that is questionable.

Minnesota about the same, defense will be suspect as it always is with a PJ Fleck coached team.

Purdue - Not sure what is going on there, revolving door of DCs, I don't think they will be any better, I say the same as 2020.

Ohio State - Doesn't matter, even if they are worse, we aren't in their stratosphere at this point.

Wisconsin - Like Nebraska depends on the QB and also finding the depth at RB they need to run the ball like they like to, Berger can't do it alone . Chryst is taking over playcalling duties and QB coaching, so that is a positive for them. The defense will be pretty stout. Definitely a better record, but production could be similar on average. Psyche could play a factor, Penn St, Notre Dame and Michigan in 3 of the first 4 games, 1-3 and the wheels could fall off, 4-0 and they will win the west going away.

Iowa - Better QB play is imperative. I don't care how he played to end last season, teams will stack the box early and make Petras beat them. Replacing a lot of WR, OLine and Dline talent from last year, while some have playing experience, it isn't the same as being the starter. Also no proven depth behind those guys. Overall, about the same as last year.
I will mention on Purdue. They bring back something like 17 starters, brought in 8 transfers, 7 on defense, get the best DE in the big ten back (was 2-0 with him last year), lost the Diaco distraction, and upgraded their defensive staff. Hagen is the new DL coach. Came from Texas. He put multiple DLman in the NFL from Purdue under Tiller and built the dominant front iu had last year.

Reactions: artguy68
our most effective offensive player (Mills) left
He was alright. Outside of 2 games I was never really impressed. I think with Yant, Stepp, Scott, Morrison we will be better this year. Watching the games it was all QB run or short pass to Wandale where we ever did anything. Need to give our TEs even more looks. WR will def improve this year.

I will mention on Purdue. They bring back something like 17 starters, brought in 8 transfers, 7 on defense, get the best DE in the big ten back (was 2-0 with him last year), lost the Diaco distraction, and upgraded their defensive staff. Hagen is the new DL coach. Came from Texas. He put multiple DLman in the NFL from Purdue under Tiller and built the dominant front iu had last year.
Great, I think they will be no better than last year. Here is what you do, post your opinion, on the teams as I did.

Great, I think they will be no better than last year. Here is what you do, post your opinion, on the teams as I did.
Is that not what I did? You posted an opinion. I'm discussing your opinion with you on a discussion forum. Figured you would like that since you didn't seem to know much about Purdue's team. Figured wrong I guess.

Is that not what I did? You posted an opinion. I'm discussing your opinion with you on a discussion forum. Figured you would like that since you didn't seem to know much about Purdue's team. Figured wrong I guess.
Look, I am sure you are a great guy. I just don’t get the posting on another team’s message board.

No that is not what you did. You only wrote about Purdue. You didn’t write about anyone else but to say Purdue and Nebraska will be better than last year.

I know enough about Purdue to state that they will be no better than last year. I appreciate you opinion, but Brohm has had 1 winning season in 4 years at Purdue, and that was his first year. They are bringing in their 3rd DC in 3 years. Switching from 4-3 to 3-4 to 4-3. They have had a limited running game, gaining 81 yards per game won’t win many games in the Big Ten. QB has 4 guys vying for the starting spot, a senior UCLA transfer was brought in to compete with the 2 QBs that split time last year along with a RS Frosh. Plus you are losing 2/5 of the OL including LT.

I get it, as a fan you look for all the positives, I just don’t think Purdue will be any better than they were last year when they won 1/3 of their games. If they win 5 games I will be surprised.

sorry to be an ass. Sort of.

He was alright. Outside of 2 games I was never really impressed. I think with Yant, Stepp, Scott, Morrison we will be better this year. Watching the games it was all QB run or short pass to Wandale where we ever did anything. Need to give our TEs even more looks. WR will def improve this year.
'alright' is a giant step up from what we've gotten used to seeing from individual players on O

As far as the OP, IMO, I think it is entirely possible that Illinois goes O-fer in the conference next year. I’m sure they will make the game with us closer than it should be, but there is potential disaster looming with HCBB in his first year as he gives the impression that he won’t give a flip about hurting someone’s feelings. Looks like over a 2 day period last week, he had 6 players enter the portal.
GBR!

Going into 2021, do you believe the following Big Ten teams on Nebraska's schedule, will be worse or better than what they were in 2020? And yes, I'm replacing Rutgers with Michigan State and Penn State with Michigan.

Illinois
Michigan State- ( Will MSU be better or worse than Rutgers in 2020?)
Michigan - ( Will Michigan be better or worse than Penn State in 2020?)
Northwestern
Minnesota
Purdue
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Iowa

And then finally, do you think Nebraska will have a better team or worse team than their 2020 squad?
Illinois- Better marginally because coaching but when NU sees them they could be a mess.
Michigan St.- Equal or slightly better, from what I saw from Rutgers last year I'd be hard pressed to think MSU isn't at least as good, still don't think they'll be good.
Michigan- Better, they still have a lot of talent and I think they'll benefit from a full spring, summer and fall as much as anyone and be improved from last year but a tossup game.
Northwestern- Worse, too many departures.
Minnesota- Better.
Purdue- Not sure, but I don't think it matters.
Ohio State- Worse but still worlds ahead of any Big 10 team.
Wisconsin- Better, all depends on Mertz but he's a year older and although he wasn't good I'd expect improvement, the run game will be improved and the defense will be very tough. Still a winnable game.
Iowa- Worse slightly with quite a few departures.

Nebraska will be much better or should be much better, seem to have talent and experience in place for a successful year but as has been said a million times we have to actually see it.

Look, I am sure you are a great guy. I just don’t get the posting on another team’s message board.

No that is not what you did. You only wrote about Purdue. You didn’t write about anyone else but to say Purdue and Nebraska will be better than last year.

I know enough about Purdue to state that they will be no better than last year. I appreciate you opinion, but Brohm has had 1 winning season in 4 years at Purdue, and that was his first year. They are bringing in their 3rd DC in 3 years. Switching from 4-3 to 3-4 to 4-3. They have had a limited running game, gaining 81 yards per game won’t win many games in the Big Ten. QB has 4 guys vying for the starting spot, a senior UCLA transfer was brought in to compete with the 2 QBs that split time last year along with a RS Frosh. Plus you are losing 2/5 of the OL including LT.

I get it, as a fan you look for all the positives, I just don’t think Purdue will be any better than they were last year when they won 1/3 of their games. If they win 5 games I will be surprised.

What two OLman they losing? Hermanns at LT. Who else? Am I forgetting someone?

I can easily tall about other teams. But why? All the reasons you said Purdue won't be better I could use for Nebraska. Purdue was 2-0 before covid hit. Lost a close one to Northwestern. Had a win taken away vs minny with a bad call. Then the wheels fell off. Purdue could easily win 6. I'm just hear for discussion because what else is there football wise right now? I brought no bias to the party, just facts, yet somehow, I was bias?

I can easily tall about other teams. But why? All the reasons you said Purdue won't be better I could use for Nebraska. Purdue was 2-0 before covid hit. Lost a close one to Northwestern. Had a win taken away vs minny with a bad call. Then the wheels fell off. Purdue could easily win 6. I'm just hear for discussion because what else is there football wise right now? I brought no bias to the party, just facts, yet somehow, I was bias?
If my aunt had a package she would be my uncle. There is no reason to believe that Purdue will be a good team this year.

So your only beef is the number of offensive linemen returning. There will be 2 new starters on the OL, mark my words.

Not saying you are biased, it is a matter of not caring. The question asked was about the teams on Nebraska's schedule, not just Purdue.

We can all talk about the near misses and the should have beens, but they are still losses. Nebraska could have won 5 games last year, and 7 in 2018 and 6 or 7 in 2019, but they didn't.

I will fully agree with you that Nebraska will only be marginally better, if at all better. Nebraska could win 5 games or they could win 8.

Reactions: leodisflowers

You are being ass! I guarantee that you don’t know about Purdue better than BoilerN! I appreciate his insight on Purdue and other fans speaking about their teams! Not everyone keeps up with every team on the planet.

So your only beef is the number of offensive linemen returning. There will be 2 new starters on the OL, mark my words.

Not saying you are biased, it is a matter of not caring. The question asked was about the teams on Nebraska's schedule, not just Purdue.

We can all talk about the near misses and the should have beens, but they are still losses. Nebraska could have won 5 games last year, and 7 in 2018 and 6 or 7 in 2019, but they didn't.

I will fully agree with you that Nebraska will only be marginally better, if at all better. Nebraska could win 5 games or they could win 8.
OL isn't my only beef. I'm just trying to figure out which two Purdue lost? They will likely have 2 new starters, yes, but that's not because they lost two starters.

For Purdue and Nebraska both, it would be pretty impressive to return everyone and gain depth and not get better. Nebraska lost more in the portal, but if I had to rate both offenses and both defenses 1-4, Nebraska defense last year would be #1. Purdue offense #2. Major drop-off from there.

Lastly, you throw the question asked. Which is funny because I'm answering/discussing the question. You said it yourself. We are discussing Nebraska opponents. Which other ones you want to discuss? I'd be glad to give you my thoughts. I follow the big ten west way to closely. Lol

Ohio State is the team to beat in the Big Ten. Top 3 nationally.
Indiana, Penn State and Michigan will see improvement, but IU has toughest road to repeat success of 2020.
Michigan State will be improved in Mel Tucker's 2nd year. Maryland and Rutgers need work.

In West, Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern are the top 3 teams. Northwestern has too many questions to see them win 3 of 4. Minnesota has real questions on defense, and not sold on QB Tanner Morgan, who lost at Iowa and vs. Wisconsin in 2019. Nebraska, Purdue and Illinois will likely spoil some team's 2021 season.

OL isn't my only beef. I'm just trying to figure out which two Purdue lost? They will likely have 2 new starters, yes, but that's not because they lost two starters.

For Purdue and Nebraska both, it would be pretty impressive to return everyone and gain depth and not get better. Nebraska lost more in the portal, but if I had to rate both offenses and both defenses 1-4, Nebraska defense last year would be #1. Purdue offense #2. Major drop-off from there.

Lastly, you throw the question asked. Which is funny because I'm answering/discussing the question. You said it yourself. We are discussing Nebraska opponents. Which other ones you want to discuss? I'd be glad to give you my thoughts. I follow the big ten west way to closely. Lol
Then do the freaking exercise and tell us all about the Big Ten West.

Reactions: bigredhunter
You are being ass! I guarantee that you don’t know about Purdue better than BoilerN! I appreciate his insight on Purdue and other fans speaking about their teams! Not everyone keeps up with every team on the planet.
No, I don't think he is being an ass. @Tuco Salamanca calls it how he see it and BoilerN seems like an ok dude, but he has the post 2010 Nebraska syndrome with his team. Makes a lot of excuses, but at the end of the day his team has got worse every year and that is a fact.

Illinois will be same Ole same Ole. New coach, still not much talent. Curious what they look like defensively. Brandon Peters is back for his 8th year. I think Hazell recruited him...

NU probably shouldn't be as good as last year, but history suggest they will still win the West because Pat Fitzgerald is an amazing coach. They might have the best facilities in the west as well. Had the benefit of being old and experienced last year.

Wisconsin will win the West. Can Mertz take the next step? If so, could they push osu? I don't think so, but it's a big piece. They will be about the same.

Purdue will be better. Return basically everyone. Phil Steele rates the OL #22 in the nation, DL #29. New defensive staff is a clear upgrade.

Nebraska should be better as well. No idea what the offense is going to look like, but the defense should be tough. If AM can play well, a bowl game could be on the horizon.

Minnesota should be about the same. Minus one good year, fleck has been suspect. He's been super lucky, even in the 10 win season. Their offense could be really good. Best Oline in the west.

No, I don't think he is being an ass. @Tuco Salamanca calls it how he see it and BoilerN seems like an ok dude, but he has the post 2010 Nebraska syndrome with his team. Makes a lot of excuses, but at the end of the day his team has got worse every year and that is a fact.
I've also explained my rationale on why their record has gotten worse. Considering Brohm inherited a 5 year rebuild to turn over the roster, it isn't shocking. If it continues to go that way from now on, we have an issue. As I've asked before, what's the difference between an excuse and a fact? The way I see it, an excuse is the ref from the twin cities made a terrible call and took the win vs minny away from them last year. A fact is Purdue was 2-0 with the best DE in the country healthy last year.

Illinois - I just don't see them getting better. I don't think Bielema is that good of a coach and he like basically everyone at Wisconsin just inherited a well running machine that was guided by Barry. The fact that Gary Anderson and others did well here is all you need to know. Yes, they could still beat us because we have sucked royally, but they will still be Illinois.

Michigan State - They will have some players, but they have the same issue as us. Haven't had a good QB for awhile now. Once they shore that up, they will probably be decent because they will always get some good athletes on D to keep them in the game.

Michigan - It'll be interesting to see what they look like. They have a lot of really good players and will be interested to see how the D looks without Don Brown. Could be a blessing to move on. They have players and if they get on a roll early, they could be decent, but same as a lot of teams needs a lot better QB play.

Northwestern - They will always surprise you, but I see regression. Just don't see them being at the top of the West.

Minnesota - As much as I hate Fleck, I think they could be better this year. Should have a solid line and if Morgan plays good, they can be a tough team to beat. I think they get a little better this year.

Purdue - Probably will be worse..... Again... I'm not sure how Brohm's head isn't on the chopping block. Rotating D Coordinators and regression each year. If he was at NU he'd probably be gone because his W-L record has gone down every year. Our resident Boiler fan will come on and make excuses, but outside of some individual players, I just don't see anything with Purdue and until you can run the ball in the B1G you aren't doing anything and they suck at that.

Ohio State - Will just reload.

Wisconsin - Interesting team. They are the Wisconsin machine and will probably win a lot of close ugly games, but I wasn't that impressed with Mertz. Decent runner, but not great in the passing game. Their stable of RB's also doesn't seem to be what it is and I think they will probably be about the same. Definitely beatable.

Iowa - I think they regress a little, but a lot like Wisconsin, they will just be a solid football team that wins a lot of ugly games. Won't be flashy, but will just have the next guy step up and will probably be 7-5 to 8-4 like every year under Ferentz.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
I've also explained my rationale on why their record has gotten worse. Considering Brohm inherited a 5 year rebuild to turn over the roster, it isn't shocking. If it continues to go that way from now on, we have an issue. As I've asked before, what's the difference between an excuse and a fact? The way I see it, an excuse is the ref from the twin cities made a terrible call and took the win vs minny away from them last year. A fact is Purdue was 2-0 with the best DE in the country healthy last year.
Dude..... Like I said, your whole argument is just excuses. Everyone has injuries, everyone is hampered by calls in games, everyone has things go against them.. You are what your record is and Purdue gets worse every year. Purdue is probably a lot like Nebraska that they are tired of firing coaches and that has to be the only reason Brohm is still around. He has regressed every year and has a revolving door at D Coordinator. He is really lucky he had Rondale to give him a little shine in some games otherwise he'd be even closer to the chopping block. Purdue isn't good and I doubt takes any sort of leap forward.

Illinois will be same Ole same Ole. New coach, still not much talent. Curious what they look like defensively. Brandon Peters is back for his 8th year. I think Hazell recruited him...

NU probably shouldn't be as good as last year, but history suggest they will still win the West because Pat Fitzgerald is an amazing coach. They might have the best facilities in the west as well. Had the benefit of being old and experienced last year.

Wisconsin will win the West. Can Mertz take the next step? If so, could they push osu? I don't think so, but it's a big piece. They will be about the same.

Purdue will be better. Return basically everyone. Phil Steele rates the OL #22 in the nation, DL #29. New defensive staff is a clear upgrade.

Nebraska should be better as well. No idea what the offense is going to look like, but the defense should be tough. If AM can play well, a bowl game could be on the horizon.

Minnesota should be about the same. Minus one good year, fleck has been suspect. He's been super lucky, even in the 10 win season. Their offense could be really good. Best Oline in the west.
Minnesota added 2 DT transfers and ND transfer Treadway returns from last year and returns 3 players in the secondary, so I expect their defense will be significantly better than last years Covid season..

Gopher offense could be pretty potent if they can get some playmakers at WR..

I think Minnesota is the sleeper pick not Northwestern

Scoring won’t be a problem for Purdue but losing Rondale Moore will be a noticeable loss..How good will the defense be with another Defense Coord..

Reactions: ShaggynScooby
Dude..... Like I said, your whole argument is just excuses. Everyone has injuries, everyone is hampered by calls in games, everyone has things go against them.. You are what your record is and Purdue gets worse every year. Purdue is probably a lot like Nebraska that they are tired of firing coaches and that has to be the only reason Brohm is still around. He has regressed every year and has a revolving door at D Coordinator. He is really lucky he had Rondale to give him a little shine in some games otherwise he'd be even closer to the chopping block. Purdue isn't good and I doubt takes any sort of leap forward.
You are correct. Never denied any of that. Brohm isn't on the chopping block because our AD new it was going to take at least 5 years (pre portal) to rebuild the roster. Brohm had success by hitting big on the transfer portal in the first two years to fill in the gaps of hazells first two classes. Brohm over recruited Hazells second two classes and struck out on the grad transfer market. Rondale increased recruiting even more and brohm out recruited his first two classes. Talent hasn't been the complete issue for Purdue. As Nebraska fans should know, regardless of your coach, it is hard to win with youth in the big ten. That has been Purdues main issue the last couple years.

17 was a team of motivated players. 18 was rondale. 19 was bad. 20 was a step forward, but still not enough depth to overcome stuff. This team has enough talent and experience that anything less then 6 would be disappointing. Even without the portal, it would have been a step forward. Then Brohm brought in 8 transfers to bolster depth and improved the defensive coaching staff. All the defense has to do is be good enough. Offense should be really good. Defense was middle of the pack big ten in ppg last year.

You are correct. Never denied any of that. Brohm isn't on the chopping block because our AD new it was going to take at least 5 years (pre portal) to rebuild the roster. Brohm had success by hitting big on the transfer portal in the first two years to fill in the gaps of hazells first two classes. Brohm over recruited Hazells second two classes and struck out on the grad transfer market. Rondale increased recruiting even more and brohm out recruited his first two classes. Talent hasn't been the complete issue for Purdue. As Nebraska fans should know, regardless of your coach, it is hard to win with youth in the big ten. That has been Purdues main issue the last couple years.

17 was a team of motivated players. 18 was rondale. 19 was bad. 20 was a step forward, but still not enough depth to overcome stuff. This team has enough talent and experience that anything less then 6 would be disappointing. Even without the portal, it would have been a step forward. Then Brohm brought in 8 transfers to bolster depth and improved the defensive coaching staff. All the defense has to do is be good enough. Offense should be really good. Defense was middle of the pack big ten in ppg last year.
Is the breakfast club still a thing for home games?

Purdue fans know how to pregame, still ranks as my first or second favorite road trip.

Is the breakfast club still a thing for home games?

Purdue fans know how to pregame, still ranks as my first or second favorite road trip.
I hope it never dies! It is an experience everyone should have. That and going to Harry's Chocolate Shop.

There seems to be a narrative out there about Northwestern as if they compete for the division championship every year. Fitz is indeed a great coach, but the way they recruit means they have to develop their teams to compete around experienced 3rd, 4th, and even 5th year upperclassmen.

Last season was a prime example as the ESPN SP+ had Northwestern as the most experienced team in the Big Ten and one of top 5 oldest teams in all of college football. 17 of those starters are gone from that team including 6 players on the defensive front 7 who started more than 150 combined games.

REAL history illustrates that Northwestern often has a sub .500 to .500 season anytime they have to rebuild their roster like the present.

See 2019, 2016, 2014, and 2013.

As for Purdue and Phil Steele's rankings:

Phil likes the Pass Pro element of the offensive line. And that function of the unit is actually pretty damn good, especially when you consider how often Purdue throws the football. The problem for Purdue is the ball control spread passing game makes it really damn difficult to sustain a running game. Big Ten teams have now adjusted and started to get really exotic with coverages.

A win is a win, but if Purdue doesn't get the luxury of facing Spencer Petras in his miserable debut or the 4th string QB at Illinois in week 2, then its very possible the Boilers would have lost their last 8 Big Ten games.

The early success for Coach Brohm has tapered off now that teams have had to adjust. Karlaftis is a great football player and future Pro. There is no doubt, but college football teams playing their 3rd scheme in 3 seasons often encounter serious challenges.

Also, I think Purdue's schedule is actually tougher than Nebraska's.

ADVERTISEMENT