ADVERTISEMENT

Do you remember school being canceled because of cold weather?

Well maybe the parents need to prioritize the needs instead of buying cigarettes and booze to go along with buying lottery tickets daily. I grew up in the 60's and 70's on the farm and I'll tell you right now nobody but possible the local banker had much money , but all our parents made sure we were dressed properly. Back then the school bus just went on the county road it didn't come right up to the house like today. Some of us kids had to walk 1/8-1/4 mile just to catch the bus. I don't buy it that the people don't have the resources today

Lol. That's fine. It's incredibly inaccurate but short of meeting some the families I'm not going to change your mind. Carry on

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Perhaps Mommy or Daddy didnt dress them appropriately...?

You'll notice that the 'slogan' doesn't mention cold, only heat.

Yep, we didn’t used to get it called off for snow, but when it got so cold the diesel would gell and the busses wouldn’t start, they had to call it off.

Can you prove that you had days that were -30's? I am a similar age and we didn't experience temperatures like that often in Lincoln. I certainly remember days off for cold with maybe a bit of ice. Please recognize that a large portion of our population don't have resources like coats and mittens. Yes there are options to get those for free, but not enough. Those are also the kids that are walking to school. They aren't soft for calling school because they don't want kids walking in -30 temps in a hoodie.
I lived in 3 different trailers when I was a kid - enough said.

Inaccurate*

Which you are, but like I said short of taking you out to these places and showing you what's happening you'll stay in your mindset. Which is fine. I'm okay with you being stuck in the 60's and 70's.
You have a lot to learn, I'm not stuck in the 60' and 70's I was just stating nobody had much money back then and there weren't all the giveaways and government funds available!!! But most families had to much pride that not many even signed up for food stamps. They pinched pennies kids got hammy downs. Those parents knew how to prioritize their money

You have a lot to learn, I'm not stuck in the 60' and 70's I was just stating nobody had much money back then and there weren't all the giveaways and government funds available!!! But most families had to much pride that not many even signed up for food stamps. They pinched pennies kids got hammy downs. Those parents knew how to prioritize their money

Evidently didn't know how to raise kids though since future generations suck so much more now I guess. Sometimes age doesn't equate to wisdom.

I lived in 3 different trailers when I was a kid - enough said.

I mean that's fine, I dont know your story so can't reasonably compare situations. Can you document how many -30 degree days you went to school on? I would venture to say not many that you can prove. I don't remember any when I was growing up.

Evidently didn't know how to raise kids though since future generations suck so much more now I guess. Sometimes age doesn't equate to wisdom.
You are way off never did I say those parents sucked. Actually it just the opposite, sadly something you'll never get to experience. Now just go away

Reactions: Ostreet
I'm in my mid 30's (so not that old) and actually said to my wife last night that kids today really are soft compared to when we were kids - I never had school cancelled because it was 'too cold' outside.

I am in my 30's as well and kids are soft because our generation is parenting them, I had a lot more exposure to the outdoors and hard work as a child...I'd say there was maybe 5% of my entire class of '05 that had the mentality that I had and I certainly could have had it much worse.

BUT...to call the current generation of kids soft for a cancellation of extreme temps is ignorant. I don't see any logical reason to push school as a necessity in this kind of weather...I call that an intelligent decision regardless of the mentality of the kids. Never thought I'd see our generation holding to the "back in the day" standards.

You are way off never did I say those parents sucked. Actually it just the opposite, sadly something you'll never get to experience. Now just go away

Well they helped set the future which you think is full of people who can't adult properly. Connecting the dots that's from the ones who raised them to live that way. Bottom line, today's cold day was warranted.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
Well they helped set the future which you think is full of people who can't adult properly. Connecting the dots that's from the ones who raised them to live that way. Bottom line, today's cold day was warranted.

A better approach to your argument: Most of our parents weren't around to parent us with a 2-parent income household, it's not their fault entirely. It was more so the money hungry system that's to blame. I had a disabled father that was able to put the time and efforts into raising me right because he wasn't exhausted from work and could spend every summer with me...think about the difference that would make. Hell maybe if we could survive on a 1-parent income the parent at home would carry out the daily curriculum for school cancellations and we wouldn't be having this conversation all together.

To make matters worse parents have been addicted to technology since the 80s so now when they do have free time they sit their kid in front of a TV so they can browse social media. Unfortunately parenting has gotten much worse since I was a kid...its our generation that needs to take responsibility and wake up.

Last edited:
I mean that's fine, I dont know your story so can't reasonably compare situations. Can you document how many -30 degree days you went to school on? I would venture to say not many that you can prove. I don't remember any when I was growing up.
I don't know about school but I remember in '82 working in a building almost the size of a football field in Sidney that was -35° *inside* and we worked a full shift. We couldn't do anything because the overhead crane was frozen to the rails, the high pressure air lines were full of ice, and the fuel for the 5 space heaters was gelled up but they made us stay there. And we were the lucky ones. They made 2 guys that they were mad at work outside in -88° windchill. Those poor saps would go out for 10 minutes then try to warm up in the office for 20 minutes before going back out. 5-6 guys got fed up and went home. They were suspended for a week...

No, and the amount of people telling other people that its cold outside on social media is ridiculous. Hey guess what everybody! Its cold outside. Did ya know that huh? Did ya? Well allow me to parrot the hype the media wants me to and tell everybody how dangerous it is, because it wasnt dangerous last year, or the year before that...etc.
ALL PRAISE THE SMARTPHONE, MY ONE AND ONLY TRUE GOD!

And the amount of people going on a free husker message board to complain about the people going on their phones and then facebook to complain about the weather, all the while forgetting that in our current world 5 year olds have to walk to school with little more than a light jacket because their parents are overdosing on heroin. THe lesson is...if you were able to walk to school you probably had a person provide you with winter clothing when you were little and therefore should STFU!

I never remember as a kid school being canceled because it was too cold. Too much snow for sure but never ever for cold temps. Different times I guess. BTW, it's 12 below zero right now (2am) in Omaha. -32 wind chill. Back in the day this was a walk on the beach! :Cool:
Heck no! It took an act of God to cancel school. We had to walk 2 miles in our socks, and it was uphill both ways! LOL

My goodness, this thread took a interesting twist. Went from childhood memories to tips and pointers on parenting. Sheesh, chill people (pardon the pun).

I never remember as a kid school being canceled because it was too cold. Too much snow for sure but never ever for cold temps. Different times I guess. BTW, it's 12 below zero right now (2am) in Omaha. -32 wind chill. Back in the day this was a walk on the beach! :Cool:
Missed many school days for snow and damn cold. I was raised in western Nebraska (Scottsbluff), until this year, our winters have been very nice some winters it never even snowed... hard to believe but true.

Missed many school days for snow and damn cold. I was raised in western Nebraska (Scottsbluff), until this year, our winters have been very nice some winters it never even snowed... hard to believe but true.

I live in Hawaii now for the past 7 years for retirement and it really seems strange to see everything stay green and grow all year round. Love it and Nebraska football. GO BIG RED

My goodness, this thread took a interesting twist. Went from childhood memories to tips and pointers on parenting. Sheesh, chill people (pardon the pun).
My bad, I couldn't resist. Let's go with December of 1983 January of 84 brutal cold. I recorded 20 day of temperature of zero or less never got above zero . I remember dad saying 1936 was one of the hottest years and one of the coldest, no snow and the ground cracked open, people with buried water lines had them freeze because the lines weren't buried below the frost line.

Hammy downs. Classic.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Yes. In the late 80's.
I remember a (January-1989) Friday, in Valentine, that was unseasonably warm. We left school wearing no jacket, even. Were out of school both Monday and Tuesday due to extreme cold and furnace failure. Global warming on Friday, Climate Change on Saturday and Extreme Weather/Vortex by Monday. Nothing new. Back then we weren't too worried. Just cold.

Don't remember that we ever failed to have school because it was too cold when I was growing up, but we went to school indoors with heated classrooms.I do remember that girls couldn't wear pants to school, they had to wear dresses, but on really cold days they were allowed to wear pants under their dresses to school and then take them off once they got there.

Reactions: Can o' corn

No one my age ever had school cancelled due to cold weather. It got this cold a few times in the mid 80’s.

NOW GET THE HELL OFF MY FROZEN LAWN!!!

Hilarious Bremser!!!

We didn’t cancel much for cold either as a kid. Of course, smoking, lack of seatbelt use, excessive sun exposure, lead paint and unprotected sex weren’t a big deal either... America is getting soft....

In 1983, I was 13 and handled a friends paper route over Christmas. We didn't break 0 for a week and lows were -15 to -20 almost every morning.

Most people just complained that their paper was a little late.

Getting stuck outside in this arctic weather is no joke. People can and have died. I have no problem with no school when its THAT cold.

Reactions: Ostreet
ADVERTISEMENT