ADVERTISEMENT

Do you really know Van Halen?

How can you tell? It looks like some young guy ate Michael Anthony, along with eating Roths voice and hair, and then a few buffets.
That young guy is actually Wolfgang Van Halen. Obviously very good on the bass and from what I have heard is also very good on the guitar. Eddie and Valerie's son.

Last edited:
Dave was always a bit more showman than singer, but good God that was painful.
I actually thought Dave sang this and Panama (another live video) pretty good. Still can't believe EVH is gone. Nor Tom Seaver.

Dave is as crazy as they come, and nobody ever accused him of having a great voice, but I don't care. One of my favorite bands ever and Hagar never should have joined that group.
Agree. But they still had some good songs from those days.

Last edited:
Dave is as crazy as they come, and nobody ever accused him of having a great voice, but I don't care. One of my favorite bands ever and Hagar never should have joined that group.
Early VH was the best VH, beginning with 1984 they started becoming too "pop-like". I liked some of the Hagar stuff, in fact, I think 5150 was the best album post Diver Down.

That young guy is actually Wolfgang Van Halen. Obviously very good on the bass and from what I have heard is also very good on the guitar. Eddie and Valerie's son.
I know. He has an album out. Not bad. The kid has talent but I wonder how far he would go if his last name was Sobolweski or Stone
( look it up. Thats how well I know Van Halen)

And what about Gary Cherone?

And did you know this singer was a serious consideration after Roth left? True story

I know. He has an album out. Not bad. The kid has talent but I wonder how far he would go if his last name was Sobolweski or Stone
Correct. But I'll always respect a good guitar player.

Only vaguely related. I read last week that VH used to play full sets of 'Live at Leeds' with Eddie on much of the lead vocals. Before Dave.

I went to the Van Halen concert a few years back in Houston. There were some songs Diamond could really get it, but there were others you just cringed. Still a great concert and EVH was incredible. RIP.

This thread makes me wish I was born with more fists so I could punch all of you simultaneously.

Fact: Van Halen sucked before Sammy Hagar saved them.

Fact: since Sammy Hagar gave up on this sorry-ass band, Eddie died from a combination of depression from losing Sammy and cancer.

Fact: after Sammy left the band, they had to hire a weird EMO dude to be the singer because that's the best they could do

Fact: Michael Anthony quit the band because of the suck and the best replacement they could come up with is the son of the namesake, and all he was worthy of was bass player.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
This thread makes me wish I was born with more fists so I could punch all of you simultaneously.

Fact: since Sammy Hagar gave up on this sorry-ass band, Eddie died from a combination of depression from losing Sammy and cancer.

Fact: after Sammy left the band, they had to hire a weird EMO dude to be the singer because that's the best they could do

Fact: Michael Anthony quit the band because of the suck and the best replacement they could come up with is the son of the namesake, and all he was worthy of was bass player.

giphy.gif

Chill out.

I started this thread as a joke to see who would pick up on Wolfgang being the bass player. I can't believe anybody thinks VH sucked before Sammy. It's true that EVH didn't feel MA was good enough. I couldn't tell because with MA, they sounded great. Maybe it was because EVH wanted to get in Wolfgang.
I think they both are good bass guitarists.

Chill out.

I started this thread as a joke to see who would pick up on Wolfgang being the bass player. I can't believe anybody thinks VH sucked before Sammy. It's true that EVH didn't feel MA was good enough. I couldn't tell because with MA, they sounded great. Maybe it was because EVH wanted to get in Wolfgang.
I think they both are good bass guitarists.
I wish I had 3 fists just dedicated to your face right now.

Show's what you know buddy, Van Halen with Diamond Dave is still to this day the biggest money grossing band in history.

Fact: David Lee Roth was the singer on Diver Down.

Mic drop.
I've been to a number of Van Halen shows 1980 Women and Children First, 1981 Fair Warning, 1982 Diver Down 1984 1984. 1st time I saw them was 78 on their self titled tour and then again in 79 and 1 show of Van Hagar 5150 in 1986. I also have every Van Halen Album including their Demo Album from 1975 School's Out, which is worth A LOT of money as it very rare as well as Firestarter The Gene Simmons Demo that came out in 1976. These guys were found by Gene Simmons. Van Halen formed in 1974

Last edited:
Reactions: Catch50
Eddie made the whole thing go. He wrote the music.

David gave it some flair and Michael actually gave the band it's harmonies, more so than good bass playing (that Ed also wrote)

Edward was a big inventor, not only in his playing style, but also in techniques considered standard today like wax potting pickups so that they were not microphonic and did not feedback.

Ed was a creative Genius. His son is talented, but imagine trying to grow up in that shadow. I salute the kid for even trying.

Eddie made the whole thing go. He wrote the music.

David gave it some flair and Michael actually gave the band it's harmonies, more so than good bass playing (that Ed also wrote)

Edward was a big inventor, not only in his playing style, but also in techniques considered standard today like wax potting pickups so that they were not microphonic and did not feedback.

Ed was a creative Genius. His son is talented, but imagine trying to grow up in that shadow. I salute the kid for even trying.
Their sound was way ahead of their time especially for the 70s

I've been to a number of Van Halen shows 1980 Women and Children First, 1981 Fair Warning, 1982 Diver Down 1984 1984. 1st time I saw them was 78 on their self titled tour and then again in 79 and 1 show of Van Hagar 5150 in 1986. I also have every Van Halen Album including their Demo Album from 1975 School's Out, which is worth A LOT of money as it very rare as well as Firestarter The Gene Simmons Demo that came out in 1976. These guys were found by Gene Simmons. Van Halen formed in 1974
I also believe that Peter Criss was by far the best Kiss drummer. The other drummers were just timekeepers.

I also believe that Peter Criss was by far the best Kiss drummer. The other drummers were just timekeepers.
Peter Criss was the very 1st drum king as the battle of the drummers 1st started in 1978 and was drum king for the 1st 2 years until he decided to hang it up to raise his kids and be a family. From 1980 till 2000 Neil Peart was the drum king and runner up every year was Phil Collins as the finals came down to those 2 every year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT