ADVERTISEMENT

Do you believe

What made Nebraska football was sloppy, undisciplined play on offense, clueless defense and special teams that couldn't even get 11 guys on the field, let alone do their job? Interesting...

I always thought that Nebraska's strength had hiring a strong set of assistant coaches who fit to the head coach's preferred identity on both sides of the ball, and then allowing them to recruit and coach players to fit those roles. You know, finding the right body types to develop kids in the weight room and on the practice field into being All-Conference, All-American or even trophy award winners along the lines. Finding athletes on defense who could play safety/OLB and finding ways to get the studs on the field. I could go on, but what made Nebraska football successful most certainly wasn't the head coach and his drinking buddies making sure they had the latest edition of Golden Tee virtual golf installed in their office lounge.

Right now, I've not seen us do none of the things that made Nebraska successful. Our WR group is full of below average athletes that do not seem to block or run routes well at all and when they are asked to run routes, are not capable of getting separation. We have a QB room that has gotten objectively worse each season they have been with the program. Let's see, what else, oh yeah, I'm not sure what is too far off, our center's snaps or him being in the wrong position. We could go on, but you should be getting the point.

It's time for fans like you to spend a few more years burning out this fever. If Scott Frost had graduated from any other school, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. He wouldn't have ever been hired, but he sure as hell would've been fired by now. Instead, there are fans out there begging for XX more years of this so that they feel they can right the original sin of Husker Football in this century, which is arguably Firing Frank Solich "too soon". I say arguably, because we waited too long to fire Solich, but the original sin was actually thrusting him upon us in the first place, which is actually TO's fault.

I get that fans wanted a "familiar" face, and now they have one, it's just hard to recognize a face that has been punched into oblivion as familiar. It would be more prudent for NU to have a public bonfire and light his annual salary on fire, we would end up with just as many football wins, and give fans something more entertaining than his dreck product.
You're just as weird as the last time I saw you here. It doesn't matter one bit if they're drinking buddies or play golden tee in the office. What matters is much of this coaching staff, if not all, doesn't know how to coach at this level.

What made Nebraska football was sloppy, undisciplined play on offense, clueless defense and special teams that couldn't even get 11 guys on the field, let alone do their job? Interesting...

I always thought that Nebraska's strength had hiring a strong set of assistant coaches who fit to the head coach's preferred identity on both sides of the ball, and then allowing them to recruit and coach players to fit those roles. You know, finding the right body types to develop kids in the weight room and on the practice field into being All-Conference, All-American or even trophy award winners along the lines. Finding athletes on defense who could play safety/OLB and finding ways to get the studs on the field. I could go on, but what made Nebraska football successful most certainly wasn't the head coach and his drinking buddies making sure they had the latest edition of Golden Tee virtual golf installed in their office lounge.

Right now, I've not seen us do none of the things that made Nebraska successful. Our WR group is full of below average athletes that do not seem to block or run routes well at all and when they are asked to run routes, are not capable of getting separation. We have a QB room that has gotten objectively worse each season they have been with the program. Let's see, what else, oh yeah, I'm not sure what is too far off, our center's snaps or him being in the wrong position. We could go on, but you should be getting the point.

It's time for fans like you to spend a few more years burning out this fever. If Scott Frost had graduated from any other school, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. He wouldn't have ever been hired, but he sure as hell would've been fired by now. Instead, there are fans out there begging for XX more years of this so that they feel they can right the original sin of Husker Football in this century, which is arguably Firing Frank Solich "too soon". I say arguably, because we waited too long to fire Solich, but the original sin was actually thrusting him upon us in the first place, which is actually TO's fault.

I get that fans wanted a "familiar" face, and now they have one, it's just hard to recognize a face that has been punched into oblivion as familiar. It would be more prudent for NU to have a public bonfire and light his annual salary on fire, we would end up with just as many football wins, and give fans something more entertaining than his dreck product.

giphy.gif

Actually, nice to have you back Jaw! Good take on this post.

My take is that Frost seems to be in over his head during games, way over his head at times. Nothing pisses me off more than to see continual procedural penalties, time outs after commercial breaks, etc, almost like they've never coached before.

I sure hope it gets fixed, because we seem headed in the wrong direction!

Last edited:
Probably need to take a chance on some cheat like Hugh Freeze to come in for a few years and recruit like hell with on-field results that won’t be good, but better than Frost’s. Then hope he wants to leave those recruits behind after those few years.

Absolutely. I was on record in 2017 as saying Riley wasn't likely the answer, but for sure Frost wasn't going to be the answer. I never liked the hire, and even less so when he brought his entire staff of drinking buddies to Lincoln so that they could get big pay raises. Add in him running off Gebbia in his first year and it was abundantly clear that this whole thing was never going to take flight. He keeps blaming culture and other things, when those problems start in his office and filter their way down.
What did you see that the administration and 99% of the fans didn't see when Frost was hired? Moos had no other choice than to hire Frost. Both the administration and the fan base demanded it.

Last edited:
The point you bring up about the coaching staff of drinking buddies with Golden Tee in their office lounge is spot on and a big concern for me. From some players I know, it sounds like our coaching staff’s focus isn’t far off from the poor focus in practice last week. It sounds like the coaching “office” has become more of a place for the buddies to hang out and have a good time.

Hunting season, and making sure there’s time for drinks and cigars in the office may be more a high priority for several of our coaches right now. It makes it tough to get after players for a lack of focus when the coaches struggle with it themselves. Also tough for players to really buy-in when they see that type of investment from several coaches.

What did you see that the administration and 99% of the fans didn't see when Frost was hired? Moos had no other choice than hire Frost. Both the administration and the fan base demanded it.
Because he's anti-Nebraska or tradition coalition. He hates Tom Osborne and anything to do with Nebraska football in the 90's, which includes Frost. I was on record saying Riley wasn't the answer in 2015. Should have canned his ass after that 2015 season, but he never should have been hired in the first place.

Reactions: bshirt73
At some point the old saying you are what your record says you are hold true. I think these last 3 games, especially this Friday are huge for Frost if he hopes at all to dig out of the hole this program is in.

You have to at some point win a game you are not suppose to win to change the mind set of a team. You lost out on the chance to beat one of your division rivals when the Wisky game got cancelled. Iowa is another chance to do that. As hollow as it seems this year you have to make a bowl game. I don't know if 2 wins gets you to a bowl, even this year when the waived the eligibility rule. Think about that for a second, damn near every guy on this team has not played in a bowl game.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
The point you bring up about the coaching staff of drinking buddies with Golden Tee in their office lounge is spot on and a big concern for me. From some players I know, it sounds like our coaching staff’s focus isn’t far off from the poor focus in practice last week. It sounds like the coaching “office” has become more of a place for the buddies to hang out and have a good time.

Hunting season, and making sure there’s time for drinks and cigars in the office may be more a high priority for several of our coaches right now. It makes it tough to get after players for a lack of focus when the coaches struggle with it themselves. Also tough for players to really buy-in when they see that type of investment from several coaches.
Do you have inside knowledge of this? Asking because of your username.

Maybe some people on this thread need to take a good look at the players that Frost has run off before saying it is not his fault that the team is young.

Reactions: JoelBittner
What did you see that the administration and 99% of the fans didn't see when Frost was hired? Moos had no other choice than hire Frost. Both the administration and the fan base demanded it.
I took his name off his resume and looked at what he had accomplished as a head coach, which to that point wasn't much. I had told everyone if he wasn't an alumnus in Lincoln, there isn't anyone in Nebraska pining for that guy. He was a head coach for two seasons and had a pretty blah record, despite a strong second season. I mean, I was wrong about Mike Riley being someone who could eventually turn the program around, but there was some truth to the fact that his career record as a HC, with some notable exceptions was average.

He was a "hot name" because of UCF's one season, but look at UCF before he went there and after he has left, their performance level in that league hasn't been that much different. Orlando is a nice place to be most of the year and it is within a few hours drive of some large metro areas with great talent here in Florida.

Sure, Scott Frost can sit down in front of a white board and make your head spin with Xs and Os, but that wasn't our problem in Lincoln. It was and has been the level of talent and a coherent identity on both sides of the ball. I didn't feel good about giving someone with almost no experience as a playcaller or head coach the keys to a program who needed someone who was familiar with a rebuild. Frost came in here, exactly as I expected, quite arrogant and cocksure that he had the Xs and Os to beat the Big Ten, and the conference as pushed back with a resounding chorus of laughter from Iowa City to Columbus to Minneapolis and everywhere else in between.

I took his name off his resume and looked at what he had accomplished as a head coach, which to that point wasn't much. I had told everyone if he wasn't an alumnus in Lincoln, there isn't anyone in Nebraska pining for that guy. He was a head coach for two seasons and had a pretty blah record, despite a strong second season. I mean, I was wrong about Mike Riley being someone who could eventually turn the program around, but there was some truth to the fact that his career record as a HC, with some notable exceptions was average.

He was a "hot name" because of UCF's one season, but look at UCF before he went there and after he has left, their performance level in that league hasn't been that much different. Orlando is a nice place to be most of the year and it is within a few hours drive of some large metro areas with great talent here in Florida.

Sure, Scott Frost can sit down in front of a white board and make your head spin with Xs and Os, but that wasn't our problem in Lincoln. It was and has been the level of talent and a coherent identity on both sides of the ball. I didn't feel good about giving someone with almost no experience as a playcaller or head coach the keys to a program who needed someone who was familiar with a rebuild. Frost came in here, exactly as I expected, quite arrogant and cocksure that he had the Xs and Os to beat the Big Ten, and the conference as pushed back with a resounding chorus of laughter from Iowa City to Columbus to Minneapolis and everywhere else in between.

Said some of the same things back when Riley was still coach. It was a very unpopular opinion on here. Wasn't much room for debate back then as there seemed to be a concerted effort by a bunch of posters with low post counts to get Frost in no matter what. While I'm patting myself on the back, I will also take credit for saying that losing Bookie was no big deal. Smokin

I will also add that this was before UCF finished undefeated and beat Auburn in the bowl game. That actually gave me a glimmer of hope.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Said some of the same things back when Riley was still coach. It was a very unpopular opinion on here. Wasn't much room for debate back then as there seemed to be a concerted effort by a bunch of posters with low post counts to get Frost in no matter what. While I'm patting myself on the back, I will also take credit for saying that losing Bookie was no big deal. Smokin

I will also add that this was before UCF finished undefeated and beat Auburn in the bowl game. That actually gave me a glimmer of hope.
If you know much about Auburn under Gus, if the opponent isn't Alabama, or the SEC East Champion, they don't give a hoot about the opponent. That win against Auburn was the result of a highly motivated UCF team and an Auburn team that didn't take the game seriously at all. Not trying to take it all away from UCF for a solid win, but let's not pretend it was a meaningful game to both programs. That whole saga with Frost is actually one of the first things that turned me off. He needed to get to work post-haste in recruiting and getting to work putting a competent staff together in Lincoln. Instead, he just gave his Golden Tee buddies huge pay days.

If you know much about Auburn under Gus, if the opponent isn't Alabama, or the SEC East Champion, they don't give a hoot about the opponent. That win against Auburn was the result of a highly motivated UCF team and an Auburn team that didn't take the game seriously at all. Not trying to take it all away from UCF for a solid win, but let's not pretend it was a meaningful game to both programs. That whole saga with Frost is actually one of the first things that turned me off. He needed to get to work post-haste in recruiting and getting to work putting a competent staff together in Lincoln. Instead, he just gave his Golden Tee buddies huge pay days.

That's what happens when the ink dries and you're suddenly guaranteed $25 million.

I was elated when we got Frost. However, the first sign for me of something not looking quite right is bringing over his whole staff. He could have easily upgraded in some areas, and the fact that he brought his entire staff over showed we could be dealing with some loyalty issues. The second sign was us looking like an undisciplined, disorganized mess during the very first game against Colorado. It shouldn't take more than one fall camp to instill discipline and organization, most high school teams can do this. It's gone downhill from there and very disappointed in what we got in HCSF so far.

Well let’s see, no progress in three years. I’d say it’s not looking good. HCSF appears to be in way over his head. The question is, how long will the big money give him before they say it’s time for a change?

Well let’s see, no progress in three years. I’d say it’s not looking good. HCSF appears to be in way over his head. The question is, how long will the big money give him before they say it’s time for a change?
It would be hard to see him surviving five losing seasons in a row

The only coach I would be happy with is Pat Fitzgerald. If it aint him, lets stick with Frost. His team plays the most organized and disciplined football. if Pat had our talent just imagine what he could do.

What did you see that the administration and 99% of the fans didn't see when Frost was hired? Moos had no other choice than to hire Frost. Both the administration and the fan base demanded it.
Yes but he probably didn’t have to pay him as much and he certainly didn’t need to give Frost an extension.

Let’s pull Art Briles from the highs school ranks. Pay him a meager salary to start in order to offset the kings ransom we owe Frost and let’s see what he can do.

Nebraska isn't the titanic. At times, overrated, didn’t World Herald class the Huskers a contender in 2019?

1. Northwestern - QB is so important and you need to buy in and know your identity.
  2. Wisconsin has won 4 of 6 B1G West division titles, since the West was born in 2014. They lost their #1 QB and covid-19 may have derailed their season, as it looks like the game with Minnesota will likely be third canceled game in 20/20.
  3. Iowa - 5th youngest team in College Football and youngest in B1G. Penn State, Minnesota and Iowa each lost 5 players to NFL Draft, though Iowa rebooted against both teams, after going 1-1 head to head last year.
  4. Purdue - has lost 7 of 8 to Minneosta now, and Rondale Moore was back.
  5. Minnesota - coming off historic season last year, covid-19 may have them now?
  6. Illinois - Lovie Smith's team won back to back B1G road games for the first time, since 2007 season when OC Mike Locksley was working under Ron Zook.
  7. Nebraska needs to step up in the trenches. Witnessed at Big 12 schools and Big Ten programs typically that have success. Joe Moore teams typically have success, Ohio State is one of those teams. And, they typically are strong on both sides of the line.
Scott Frost may be the next Bill McCartney. It took him his 9th season. Patience is required in life.

Quality QB play is essential, as Northwestern has shown bouncing back from 8-1 to 1-8 to 5-0 now.
McCartney had CU in a bowl game his 4th season---which usually meant a 7-4 record or better in those days. They were within an upset of OU or Nebraska beating OU from going to the Orange Bowl in his 5th.

I'm not demanding Frost to win an NC in 9 seasons, or even 15 seasons. I was however expecting a bowl of some kind of bowl (minimum of a 6-6 record) by season 2---especially when Riley had us there in 2 of his 3 seasons (yes---we backed into one of them at 5-7 on a technicality, but did manage to win it).

I think Frost should be gone after this year if this continues, but I know that won't happen. However, if there is no bowl in 2021, he REALLY should be gone.

Last edited:
McCartney had CU in a bowl game his 4th season---which usually meant a 7-4 record or better in those days. They were within an upset of OU or Nebraska beating OU from going to the Orange Bowl in his 5th.

I'm not demanding Frost to win an NC in 9 seasons, or even 15 seasons. I was however expecting a bowl of some kind of bowl (minimum of a 6-6 record) by season 2---especially when Riley had us there in 2 of his 3 seasons (yes---we backed into one of them at 5-7 on a technicality, but did manage to win it).

I think Frost should be gone after this year if this continues, but I know that won't happen. However, if there is no bowl in 2021, he REALLY should be gone.

Year 4 and Year 9 both remain in play. Experience at QB in 2021 should help, as well.

2020 has impacted multiple B1G programs. Experience is important.

Nebraska is more experienced on Friday. Their opponent is 3-2 in games as least experienced team.

Because he's anti-Nebraska or tradition coalition. He hates Tom Osborne and anything to do with Nebraska football in the 90's, which includes Frost. I was on record saying Riley wasn't the answer in 2015. Should have canned his ass after that 2015 season, but he never should have been hired in the first place.

That's for damn sure. Why NU decided to hire a life-long losing HC will always be 10,000 miles over my head.

Reactions: oldjar07
I believe if we just chill out and let Frost have the program regardless of outcome for a few more years we will see a good football team. The team and roster was worse off than most realized. We need stability for a long while. Let's give Frost the time
He did it at Central Florida but their fan base wasn’t a bunch of bitches that complain to Damon when they did not win and the high school game is many levels higher than Midwest hs football so access to players was much easier

thanks for the laughs bro

Absolutely. I was on record in 2017 as saying Riley wasn't likely the answer, but for sure Frost wasn't going to be the answer. I never liked the hire, and even less so when he brought his entire staff of drinking buddies to Lincoln so that they could get big pay raises. Add in him running off Gebbia in his first year and it was abundantly clear that this whole thing was never going to take flight. He keeps blaming culture and other things, when those problems start in his office and filter their way down.
appreciate the honest take..

wasn't a fan of how he handled the Gebbia situation at all..

I figured he would screw it all up, but then sort of figure it out.. a parallel to his QB days here, where as a junior he did really poorly, but then came back a different guy the following year.

I always admired him for how he was able to turn that around back then.

Fast forward 20 some years, and maybe it's time the fans got real hard on him again.

I have seen nothing from Frost or this staff that anyone who wants to see proof on the field can hang their hat on and say, yes he will turn it around.

He has been a head coach for 5 years and has had 1 season in which he had more wins than losses.

I hope he proves me wrong. Frost was one of my favorite players quarterbacks that wore a Husker jersey. I wish him and this team the best but I don't think they have it within them to do it. I hope I am wrong.

It has nothing to do with that. Florida wanted Frost about as badly as we did. He was the hottest coach out there. But it's looking very likely he's not as great as people thought.
Florida is 27-6 over the last three years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT