ADVERTISEMENT

Do we need to pull in better talent to win Championships?

Talent, maybe to some degree! look at Texas
Coaching, major; look at TCU
Desire by players, to play within themselves and give 100% every play 1995

Im a huge fan of Frost. I have no doubt he will have success here, but yes he has to an extent. It didn't cost of any of the games. I think he is finding the level of coaching is a bit different than AAC
I think he's finding that his B10 team lacks speed and talent compared to his first year AAC team

Reactions: gobigred670
No team can win when you experience huge levels of attrition like you guys are right now unless you can hand pick your players like Bama or Ohio St.

I think he's finding that his B10 team lacks speed and talent compared to his first year AAC team
You must be a rocket scientist to be able to figure that out. It is no secret this team is not built for what Frost wants to do. UCF was, hence quicker turn around.

Reactions: gobigred670
Came across this articlehttps://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/ that was comparing how high school rankings translates to talent and eventually getting drafted. Obviously if you are getting drafted you had a pretty descent college career.
In short;
50-%60% of 5 stars are drafted
20-25% of 4 stars
5-7% of 3 stars
1-2% 2 stars

You have teams like Bama and Ohio St consistently getting top recruits and consistently being in the NC hunt.
Would be interesting to know over the last 10-15 years teams that have won a NC, where they have been ranked in recruiting years leading up to it. From my very quick estimation. I looks like many have had consistent top 10 recruiting classes leading up.

How in the hell do you come up with this? AMAZING....

Smokin

Hate to break it to ya... out yarding means squat... style, TOP, game control all negate it. In our last game what %of yds came after Purdue was on Coast, it at least the foot on the clutch to shift into coast? Lots of garbage yards vs PURDUE

And I hate to break it to you, but when you look at yards per carry and yards per play, those do tell us a lot. They simply tell us which team moved the ball better. Sure, with Purdue, they got up by a decent margin, so they were probably taking some air out of the ball. But we outyarded Purdue, Colorado, and Troy in terms of yards/play. We have just repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot with mistakes and penalties. No other way to say it. And those mistakes have cost us at least 2 wins.

Speaking of a meaningless stat, TOP is exactly that. Especially with up tempo offenses being a part of the equation.

Ok- this is an excuse that has been used frequently over the years...Bo, uncle Mike, and now.

1991 wallace 28th

Yeah, I was looking at the 5-year period prior to ’94. I think you gotta look at 5 year periods to get a pretty good idea of recruiting for that team.

At any rate, I don't think we should have a problem recruiting in that 15 - 20 range.

Yeah, I was looking at the 5-year period prior to ’94. I think you gotta look at 5 year periods to get a pretty good idea of recruiting for that team.

At any rate, I don't think we should have a problem recruiting in that 15 - 20 range.
your right the recruiting in the years after matter also and looks a lot better, I just remember hearing that stat and remembered it. I hope you right about future recruiting.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Came across this articlehttps://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/ that was comparing how high school rankings translates to talent and eventually getting drafted. Obviously if you are getting drafted you had a pretty descent college career.
In short;
50-%60% of 5 stars are drafted
20-25% of 4 stars
5-7% of 3 stars
1-2% 2 stars

You have teams like Bama and Ohio St consistently getting top recruits and consistently being in the NC hunt.
Would be interesting to know over the last 10-15 years teams that have won a NC, where they have been ranked in recruiting years leading up to it. From my very quick estimation. I looks like many have had consistent top 10 recruiting classes leading up.
We need better talent to win period

And I hate to break it to you, but when you look at yards per carry and yards per play, those do tell us a lot. They simply tell us which team moved the ball better. Sure, with Purdue, they got up by a decent margin, so they were probably taking some air out of the ball. But we outyarded Purdue, Colorado, and Troy in terms of yards/play. We have just repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot with mistakes and penalties. No other way to say it. And those mistakes have cost us at least 2 wins.

Speaking of a meaningless stat, TOP is exactly that. Especially with up tempo offenses being a part of the equation.

YOC and YOP must not be a worthy stat to look at if Nebraska “won” that stat for 3 games but lost those game . As we all know where it counts is on the score board. If your team hits big plays but can not control the ball consistently you can have maybe good YPP but put your defense on the field to long.
Defense gets tired and then look like crap. Winning on scoreboard is the only winning that counts.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT