ADVERTISEMENT

Dline review

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
As I see it, right now Tannor, Gunnerson, Nelson and maybe Butler can play B1G snaps on the outside, with Feist, Robinson, Humacher and Newsom being able to play on the inside. Ty and Polar Bear would take a lot of snaps. The leaders for coming in seem to be Mathis and/or the kid from TX Tech, with the latter being more probable. Are there other DL transfers that are on the radar? The sentiment seems to be Mathis ends up a Horn.

As I see it, right now Tannor, Gunnerson, Nelson and maybe Butler can play B1G snaps on the outside, with Feist, Robinson, Humacher and Newsom being able to play on the inside. Ty and Polar Bear would take a lot of snaps. The leaders for coming in seem to be Mathis and/or the kid from TX Tech, with the latter being more probable. Are there other DL transfers that are on the radar? The sentiment seems to be Mathis ends up a Horn.
I think we've still got a chance on Mathis. I'm sure he's taken to heart what CT said about more NIL money here than Texass. We'll see though eh?

I still don't see why we can't still do 3-4 vs the 4-3 hybrid we seem to be leaning towards. Put Robinson at nose with Hutmacher as relief, as well Feist. Then have our bigger edge guys like ideally Mathis (260 lbs) and Nelson (he was 260 at one point but has slimmed down to 245 now, but sets the edge well). Put Feist in that rotation too as a bigger end but still under 300 lbs.

Have a rusher olb like Tannor or Butler, the rest of lbs same (including Kolaravek as nickel lb). I think our "smaller" ends are string enough to hold up in the run game, especially since our linebackers fly to the ball and our secondary has always seemed coached to prioritize run support under Chins. If anything tell Nelson to put back on a few lbs, and for Gunnerson too.

I think it could work. But might not be an issue if we get some of these portal d linemen like it sounds like we're after if we successfully acquire a couple

Feist is gonna be getting ALOT of playing time this year.

I think we've still got a chance on Mathis. I'm sure he's taken to heart what CT said about more NIL money here than Texass. We'll see though eh?

I still don't see why we can't still do 3-4 vs the 4-3 hybrid we seem to be leaning towards. Put Robinson at nose with Hutmacher as relief, as well Feist. Then have our bigger edge guys like ideally Mathis (260 lbs) and Nelson (he was 260 at one point but has slimmed down to 245 now, but sets the edge well). Put Feist in that rotation too as a bigger end but still under 300 lbs.

Have a rusher olb like Tannor or Butler, the rest of lbs same (including Kolaravek as nickel lb). I think our "smaller" ends are string enough to hold up in the run game, especially since our linebackers fly to the ball and our secondary has always seemed coached to prioritize run support under Chins. If anything tell Nelson to put back on a few lbs, and for Gunnerson too.

I think it could work. But might not be an issue if we get some of these portal d linemen like it sounds like we're after if we successfully acquire a couple
Wouldn't NU's approach for a lot of defensive snaps be considered a 4-2-5? They could run true 4-3 when Kolaravek is on the field.

As we reflect on the defensive line it brings back fond memories of us not offering Bryson Williams in favor of sticking with Masry Mapieu … just another quality in state recruiting assessment

Reactions: HominidHusker
As we reflect on the defensive line it brings back fond memories of us not offering Bryson Williams in favor of sticking with Masry Mapieu … just another quality in state recruiting assessment
Actually Nebraska offered Dec 3 . It was way to late.
Bryson had committed to Wisconsin in July . He signed Dec 20th

Actually Nebraska offered Dec 3 . It was way to late.
Bryson had committed to Wisconsin in July . He signed Dec 20th

yes we were scrambling after it finally dawned on our staff that Masry wasn’t going to qualify - something that everyone except our staff apparently knew for well over a year

IF we get Mathis who starts where in a 3-4? I think Mathis is a little better in space than Nelson who is a 4-3 DE IMO. I know he slimmed down but I would go....

Robinson, Nash, Nelson

Tannor, Reimer, Henrich, Mathis

If we don't get Mathis then I would put Drew (if we get him) at DE and Nelson back at OLB. Still depends since we are after a few DL that could shake things up.

ADVERTISEMENT