ADVERTISEMENT

Dixon? Eligible?

tdkkc

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2017
sorry if I missed this, but has a ruling been made? Is he eligible this season?

No worries........ The NCAA is still conducting background checks, drawing his blood and in the middle of his 32nd interview. Lol He'll be good to go by our first conference game probably.

Reactions: c3ntral08
What's the status of Luke Gifford? If he is healthy, would he start on one side and Breon on the other?

GREAT NEWS!!!!

With the lack of speed/explosiveness from our LBs, he immediately improves a weak link on the defense.

GBR

Reactions: scarletred
What's the status of Luke Gifford? If he is healthy, would he start on one side and Breon on the other?
Dixon doesnt have to start to have an impact.
Bottom line is that all things considered, we have had hope that our pass rush will be better than last season. This solidifies that hope and guarantees it.
I am curious about whehter didon has ever redshirted, however.

Reactions: scarletred
For next year at OLB NU will have Dixon and Alex Davis, plus Gifford if he comes back from injury.

He is probably going to have to bulk up to play every down. He weighs about 200 soaking wet. But he offers something different out there.

Regardless to what the poster above said, this is a legit concern. He was a safety at Ole Miss. As an OLB, he is going to be taking on pulling B1G linemen and needs to be able to set the edge. Hopefully Duvall can do his magic and get him up to 215-220 by this fall.

Regardless to what the poster above said, this is a legit concern. He was a safety at Ole Miss. As an OLB, he is going to be taking on pulling B1G linemen and needs to be able to set the edge. Hopefully Duvall can do his magic and get him up to 215-220 by this fall.

Yep...and even starting the season at 220 means he will be lucky to maintain 210 during the season.

Vs Spread Teams he will be fine...but power teams will run at him and that is a pounding.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
He is probably going to have to bulk up to play every down. He weighs about 200 soaking wet. But he offers something different out there.
Speed is important. Aggressive and smart play is important. Physicality is important. Sound technique is important. And he has all of those qualities.
However... you are absolutely correct to worry about his size. At some point his 200 pound body won't hold up on the edge against 320 pound pulling guards and 250 pound tight ends. He definitely needs to bulk up if he wants to avoid being a merely situational player in speed rush situations.

Yeah you don't need to be 220+ just because the BIG is known for power football. You can just be good at football. 205lbs coming at you at 4.6 speed and hitting you will make anyone go down. Sometimes just being fast, smart tackler and good at football works well. Sometimes peoples frames don't work well with bulking up. 205-210lbs is fine.

Yeah you don't need to be 220+ just because the BIG is known for power football. You can just be good at football. 205lbs coming at you at 4.6 speed and hitting you will make anyone go down. Sometimes just being fast, smart tackler and good at football works well. Sometimes peoples frames don't work well with bulking up. 205-210lbs is fine.
F=MxA. Our DEs better have something to say about "setting the edge".

Our DEs are going to be 3 or 4 techniques, the OLBs will be the spill guys and set the edge.

I don't think we have the personnel to do that this year. Frost is going to have to re-invent a lot of defensive sets with this team. Bunch of guys not fit for stereotypical roles he wants to scheme, IMO

I don't think we have the personnel to do that this year. Frost is going to have to re-invent a lot of defensive sets with this team. Bunch of guys not fit for stereotypical roles he wants to scheme, IMO

So he will play a 4-3? Because if you are setting the edge with 3 and 4 technique DE you are going to get gashed up the middle and off tackle.

He doesn’t have a lot of the “right” personnel on offense either but I would bet that the offense closely resembles what you saw at UCF.

So he will play a 4-3? Because if you are setting the edge with 3 and 4 technique DE you are going to get gashed up the middle and off tackle.

He doesn’t have a lot of the “right” personnel on offense either but I would bet that the offense closely resembles what you saw at UCF.

Yes, a 4-3 look this year is, IMO, the best chance we have to be successful. Any 3-4 front leaves too many weak LBs on the field, a position, I think Nebraska sucks at currently. Sucks.

I bet Stille and DThomas on the outside. Mick and ? on the inside. I think that is a stout front.

Play the hand that is delt you. GBR

Yes, a 4-3 look this year is, IMO, the best chance we have to be successful. Any 3-4 front leaves too many weak LBs on the field, a position, I think Nebraska sucks at currently. Sucks.

I bet Stille and DThomas on the outside. Mick and ? on the inside. I think that is a stout front.

Play the hand that is delt you. GBR

No chance.

Reactions: huskerprovince

I agree but with the way he moves his backers around, including his inside backers, you may start in a 3-4 but the resulting front at the snap often ends up being a 4 man front. If you're playing Dixon I would expect him to be used in passing situations either to drop in coverage or blitz.

I agree but with the way he moves his backers around, including his inside backers, you may start in a 3-4 but the resulting front at the snap often ends up being a 4 man front. If you're playing Dixon I would expect him to be used in passing situations either to drop in coverage or blitz.

Maybe. With most 3-4 fronts, they will send a minimum of 4 and at times 5. You just won’t know where the 4th or 5th is coming from.

Three man front and the D-ends have to do their job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT