ADVERTISEMENT

Distraction, resignation of longest OU coach on staff

What are you talking about, Venables has been DC all but 6 years of his coaching career.
And also turned down quite a few head coaching jobs. Big difference between that and being a 30-year career position coach without being promoted to coordinator or offered other opportunities.

And also turned down quite a few head coaching jobs. Big difference between that and being a 30-year career position coach without being promoted to coordinator or offered other opportunities.
What are the reasons he never got a HC job?

The true story may never come out, but there are many OU supporters and alums who weren't sorry to see Gundy go. The guy has a history of getting into shouting matches with other coaches during games, and his relationship with Venables back in the day when they both worked for Stoops was icy, at best. Many were actually surprised that Venables kept him on the staff after he was hired. Yes, he's a good recruiter, but there's a reason he has spent almost 30 years in the business without moving any higher than a position coach.
i had a feeling they let player faux offendedness take the fall here because he'd worn out his welcome vs. just letting him go. not a solid look.

Why? Both were stuck in the same roll for years - not advancing. Why is one bad and one not?
Both were not stuck , Venables was the highest paid DC in football , he was contacted by numerous schools when head jobs were being filled , he chose to stay at Clemson because the pay at those schools were not worth moving up for. , When Oklahoma called it was worth the move so he showed interest and got the job,

Reactions: LVPack
Both were not stuck , Venables was the highest paid DC in football , he was contacted by numerous schools when head jobs were being filled , he chose to stay at Clemson because the pay at those schools were not worth moving up for. , When Oklahoma called it was worth the move so he showed interest and got the job,
He also interviewed for numerous HC jobs and didn't get them

I don’t he even interviewed, he was making like 2.5 million at Clemson, most of the jobs I am talking about the Pay was like 3- 3.5 million, it wasn’t worth the move.

Reactions: LVPack
He never interviewed for a head coaching job. He was contacted by various schools over the past 12 years for HC jobs (Auburn and Kansas State were two of them), but he did not interview.

Reactions: king_kong_
The true story may never come out, but there are many OU supporters and alums who weren't sorry to see Gundy go. The guy has a history of getting into shouting matches with other coaches during games, and his relationship with Venables back in the day when they both worked for Stoops was icy, at best. Many were actually surprised that Venables kept him on the staff after he was hired. Yes, he's a good recruiter, but there's a reason he has spent almost 30 years in the business without moving any higher than a position coach.
Does anyone on the board know what Okla asst talked shit to turner gill before the 2000 or so ou nu game. Heard the story before but not which asshat asst ( or was it multiple assts)representing okla did that. Want to make sure i am hating the right guy(s)
Hating

Why? Both were stuck in the same roll for years - not advancing. Why is one bad and one not?
Jeezus, Venables was the highest paid coordinator in the country…

Believe he gets the benefit of doubt here..

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Cale Gundy noted in his statement that he did not wish to be a distraction.

"I recognize this is a critical moment for Oklahoma football," Gundy wrote. "This team -- its coaches, players, administration and fans -- do not deserve to be distracted by off-the-field matters while working to continue the tradition of excellence that makes me so proud to be a Sooner.

"Naturally, I leave these sidelines heavy hearted. Coaching this football team truly has been my life's passion."

Cale Gundy had been on staff, since 1999, when Bob Stoops was hired to coach OU. OU won the 2000 national title.

Last year, Baylor and Oklahoma State outperformed OU in the Big 12.

Brent Venables is back in Norman, as head coach, after a long career as a DC, first in Norman, then at Clemson for Dabo Sweeney.

Opportunity knocks for Huskers in Lincoln this September.
Well said Cale. A man tales responsibility for his actions. That’s why being a good person is hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT