ADVERTISEMENT

Distraction, resignation of longest OU coach on staff

Cale Gundy noted in his statement that he did not wish to be a distraction.

"I recognize this is a critical moment for Oklahoma football," Gundy wrote. "This team -- its coaches, players, administration and fans -- do not deserve to be distracted by off-the-field matters while working to continue the tradition of excellence that makes me so proud to be a Sooner.

"Naturally, I leave these sidelines heavy hearted. Coaching this football team truly has been my life's passion."

Cale Gundy had been on staff, since 1999, when Bob Stoops was hired to coach OU. OU won the 2000 national title.

Last year, Baylor and Oklahoma State outperformed OU in the Big 12.

Brent Venables is back in Norman, as head coach, after a long career as a DC, first in Norman, then at Clemson for Dabo Sweeney.

Opportunity knocks for Huskers in Lincoln this September.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
So what word did he read out loud? I assume it must have been something non-PC like the N word or a gay slur. Can't imagine anything else would have caused him to resign as just about anything goes in a locker room. And everything else is pretty much common language (for better or worse).

I have a suspicion though that something else was going on beyond this rather simple incident. Maybe he wasn't getting along or fitting in with the new staff. Just reading one word from somebody else's IPAD, whatever it was, seems like a bit much for such an abrupt resignation.

200.gif

Cale Gundy noted in his statement that he did not wish to be a distraction.

"I recognize this is a critical moment for Oklahoma football," Gundy wrote. "This team -- its coaches, players, administration and fans -- do not deserve to be distracted by off-the-field matters while working to continue the tradition of excellence that makes me so proud to be a Sooner.

"Naturally, I leave these sidelines heavy hearted. Coaching this football team truly has been my life's passion."

Cale Gundy had been on staff, since 1999, when Bob Stoops was hired to coach OU. OU won the 2000 national title.

Last year, Baylor and Oklahoma State outperformed OU in the Big 12.

Brent Venables is back in Norman, as head coach, after a long career as a DC, first in Norman, then at Clemson for Dabo Sweeney.

Opportunity knocks for Huskers in Lincoln this September.
This is a bunch of BS

our college kids get offended when a word is spoken.

China’s elementary kids are learning physics and calculus.

too early for a bourbon this morning?
I'm guessing there are plenty of our kids learning physics and calculus with the added benefit of not having to worry about being imprisoned for life, or worse, if they express any independent thought. China sucks balls.

I'm guessing there are plenty of our kids learning physics and calculus with the added benefit of not having to worry about being imprisoned for life, or worse, if they express any independent thought. China sucks balls.
by 2035, there will be less than 500 million chinese

all the math in the world can't make up for good old fashioned reproduction

That Venables statement makes it even more questionable and ridiculous. Really if he read the word out loud before, didn't Venables correct him those other times and set him straight? If he was in the habit of intentionally doing that on purpose, then how did he last all those years to become the most tenured coach at Oklahoma? And if is was so bad, why praise him on his departure?

Very fishy. There's more to the story that isn't coming out.

Reactions: headcard
That Venables statement makes it even more questionable and ridiculous. Really if he read the word out loud before, didn't Venables correct him those other times and set him straight? If he was in the habit of intentionally doing that on purpose, then how did he last all those years to become the most tenured coach at Oklahoma? And if is was so bad, why praise him on his departure?

Very fishy. There's more to the story that isn't coming out.
I think he means that Gundy read it more than once...

Either way, what Venables wrote makes Venables sound like a nut job

Venables will be gone by his third season.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Why is it OK to be on the Ipad but not OK to read it?
Nailed it. And why can a person of AA descent use the word derogatorily to each other or even there, but literally nobody else can even mention it - even to show how the athlete in question was not only wasting a teams time and resources (coach reading aloud to others who are devoting their time and energy to the team) but also that the athlete in question is filling his own head with toxic garbage?

Smdh

Somebody wanted to undermine him - if word got to the suits somebody sent along the info that was there
The true story may never come out, but there are many OU supporters and alums who weren't sorry to see Gundy go. The guy has a history of getting into shouting matches with other coaches during games, and his relationship with Venables back in the day when they both worked for Stoops was icy, at best. Many were actually surprised that Venables kept him on the staff after he was hired. Yes, he's a good recruiter, but there's a reason he has spent almost 30 years in the business without moving any higher than a position coach.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT