ADVERTISEMENT

Dirk's OWH Article and Cordarrius Bailey

huskerfan830

Senior
Oct 28, 2006
Enjoyed Dirk's article breaking down the notion of in-state prospects. With that, I think about Cordarrius Bailey, and ask when is the offer coming? It is coming, right? Please say yes, LOL.

Enjoyed Dirk's article breaking down the notion of in-state prospects. With that, I think about Cordarrius Bailey, and ask when is the offer coming? It is coming, right? Please say yes, LOL.

It's a good article(and I'm not a Dirk fan) about a topic which doesn't get enough attention when fans and media discuss recruiting. I question how the fans will react to more offers to in-state talent when it will obviously hurt our rankings. Everyone seems to be so obsessed with the evaluations of others instead of the NU football staff. I think where Osborne perfected this was having a clear identity to the program and then recruiting to that identity for both scholarships and walkons. If NU can get back to even a decent replication of that success you will be amazed at the jump in apparent talent on the roster. Of course it also has to be developed but that is an entirely different topic.

It's a good article(and I'm not a Dirk fan) about a topic which doesn't get enough attention when fans and media discuss recruiting. I question how the fans will react to more offers to in-state talent when it will obviously hurt our rankings. Everyone seems to be so obsessed with the evaluations of others instead of the NU football staff. I think where Osborne perfected this was having a clear identity to the program and then recruiting to that identity for both scholarships and walkons. If NU can get back to even a decent replication of that success you will be amazed at the jump in apparent talent on the roster. Of course it also has to be developed but that is an entirely different topic.

There's that IDENTITY word again.

He's going to get an offer soon, more than likely once he gets his ACT scores back.

I believe the Husker coaches wanted to see his academic records including ACT first. These coaches are thorough and I like that they do their Due Diligence before offering a recruit. With that being said I highly doubt they don't offer him. heck of an athlete and would look great with a big ole N on the side of his helmet. GBR

Local guys are great. Bo's biggest failure here was roster management. He was terrible at it. Its why his teams usually collapsed late in the year due to poor quality depth.

Dirk is stretching here. He is not giving any of the rationale why these guys decided to leave but somehow losing Cole Fischer to Iowa is a big deal. What about the Nebraska guys who came here and never played or if they did had minimal impact? Tyler Evans, Micah Kreikmeier, John Levorson, Ben Martin, Robert Rands, CJ Zimmerer, all of the Cottons, Bronson Marsh...etc.

I'm not all saying don't offer Nebraska kids but I am saying that evidence suggests we do need top 20 classes. If those come with born and raised Huskers all the better.

Yea, a pretty weak case. He just basically cherry picked some NFL players from the state and said we would be better if they had went to Nebraska.

I think this was a big part of the downfall of Frank Solich. He had opportunities to recruit on the heels of the greatest run in college football on a national level, but in my opinion, began to panic when other coaches (Colorado, KSU, etc) started recruiting Nebraska kids. Frank took some marginal Nebraska kids to protect his boundary and our talent went down. That, combined with several other things, was part of the beginning of the slide. It's going back to the age old "Nebraska kids have heart" argument.

The article was thorough and moderate, but let's not let that stop anyone from reducing it down to one dimension and then railing against it.

Keep talking like the ONLY choices are take all the in-state kids or take none of the in-state kids...

Reactions: huskerfan830
Just out of curiosity who the heck is Cordarrius Bailey and what makes him worthy of a scholly? I know he's a Nebraska kid but I can't even find him in the data base.

Sorry, found him but what makes him worthy of a scholly mid way through his junior year other than that he has a Louisville offer?

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity who the heck is Cordarrius Bailey and what makes him worthy of a scholly? I know he's a Nebraska kid but I can't even find him in the data base.

Sorry, found him but what makes him worthy of a scholly mid way through his junior year other than that he has a Louisville offer?

Not sure but he has a great name!

Go back and compare him to Daishon Neal. Not taking anything from Neal, but compare the two, and I think you have your answer.

Go back and look at bo's 08, 09, 10 classes. a lot of nebraska kids and most didn't pan out

'08 (5/28) - Levorson, Steinkuhler, Sean Fisher, Collins Okafor, Kreikemeier
'09 (2/20) - Zimmerer, Pensick
'10 (4/22) - A-rod, Jake Cotton, Bronson Marsh, Tyler Evans
'11 (4/20) - Davie, Reeves, Sterup, Sutton

No wonder he slowed down recruiting in-state. Got to find the right talent.

Go back and look at bo's 08, 09, 10 classes. a lot of nebraska kids and most didn't pan out

'08 (5/28) - Levorson, Steinkuhler, Sean Fisher, Collins Okafor, Kreikemeier
'09 (2/20) - Zimmerer, Pensick
'10 (4/22) - A-rod, Jake Cotton, Bronson Marsh, Tyler Evans
'11 (4/20) - Davie, Reeves, Sterup, Sutton

No wonder he slowed down recruiting in-state. Got to find the right talent.
Not to bust your nuts, but you do realize that 9 of the 15 that you listed started and contributed significant minutes. That's a 60% return, outstanding by almost any standard.

Supposedly one of Riley's strengths is identifying and developing talent that others have overlooked, but he'll need major brass ones to offer kids whose only other offers are from North Dakota St., NW Missouri State, Minnesota St., etc. Those kids are probably the ones that used to walk on, redshirt, and develop for the 3-4 years before contributing to NU.

The more obvious mistakes are the cases like Ott, who (from what I've heard) wanted to come to NU, wasn't offered, and ended up becoming an All-Conference caliber player at D1 school.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
@dckchusker he recently offered a TE from Iowa, currently committed to one of the North Dakota schools. Word on the street is, Io_a may be offering him soon.

What you heard on Ott is 110% accurate.

Reactions: dckchusker
It seems that with players from Nebraska the farther you get away from the ball, the less the chance of them being a major contributor. You can find a ton of OL maulers here in-state and develop them. They will kill people for you because they love the school. Go get your skill players down south.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT