ADVERTISEMENT

Dirk takes Frost for a walk

I read it. Seemed pretty meh to me. He basically looked at the first 19 losses of each Head Coach since TO. He concluded that Frost's 19th loss wasn't as bad as the others and his losses overall aren't as bad, but he is losing far too often (no shit) and we risk fan apathy is it continues (also no shit).

But what are you going to say at this point?

Nebraska Football can be successful again with or without Scott Frost. The losses will probably continue to accumulate under Frost to the point a tough choice will be made at the end of Year 5. Continued failure, lack of progress, lack of improvement, and a piss poor record will doom anyone who is a HC at Nebraska.

Nebraska took a chance on a "hotshot" up and coming HC who really did not prove much at UCF. The AAC is barely a step above high school play and with their hotbed of recruiting, Josh Heupel has not lost a step for UCF. You can't blame the fans, you can't blame the AD, you can't blame the lack of resources, this falls squarely on SF.

Perhaps if he were serious about coaching in the B1G he would have sought after veteran coaches to pepper his already green staff. They definitely are not ready for prime time and it shows. Maybe, just maybe some changes will occur this offseason but I would not count on it happening.

Because failure is likely at this point you have to ask: Will fans show up to watch a poorly coached team lose week after week? Tough sell in Year 4 or Year 5 of a program. I don't expect SF to last after Year 5 which is disappointing, everyone wanted him to succeed, however the coach has to be accountable, look at their salaries. It demands accountability.

The only upside is you can hire a competent coach for $5M a year. The AD just has to perform due diligence with outside consultants. You cannot let emotion play a factor in the hiring process again and you cannot let a former AD/HC influence the decision. Remember that Nebraska is still a name brand, other B1G schools do not have that luxury, and because of the lack of pro sports, a fan base to support the program.

No one person is larger than the program. Not even Scott Frost.

Remember that Nebraska is still a name brand, other B1G schools do not have that luxury, and because of the lack of pro sports, a fan base to support the program.
I can name a number of other B1G schools that have good or excellent brand name recognition. Nebraska is not unique when it comes to brand appeal. Also, every pubic school in this conference has a more than adequate base of fan support so Nebraska has no advantage there either and the Husker brand is arguably waning...fast

I do agree with your assessment that Frost's fatal mistake was to forego hiring better experienced coordinators and top assistants when hired.

Last edited:
Lazy writing at best. Click bait stirring anger among the masses at worst.
I respectfully disagree. This is one of many steps in the replacement process, seriously. Articles like this are read by both knowledgable and less knowledagable fans and boosters.

The article pointed out just how bad Scott has been, and I did not feel he sugar coated it. It also gave the readers the consequences of the path we are on, i.e. losing.

What is Dirks deal? I mean he never asks Frosts questions in his pressers and rarely have I seen him publish anything on Nebraska football in the Frost era. Has he been told by his boss to sit on the bench in fear of displeasing Frost? I remember him and Bo went at it a few times lol. I’m not from Nebraska so help me understand if I’m accurate.

If this apathy continues these sports writers won’t have jobs. No one will care to read their articles so there will be less of them. The ones who are the loudest and create the most shock value will be left in Nebraska. Stepen A smith style.

I can name a number of other B1G schools that have good or excellent brand name recognition. Nebraska is not unique when it comes to brand appeal. Also, every pubic school in this conference has a more than adequate base of fan support so Nebraska has no advantage there either and the Husker brand is arguably waning...fast

I do agree with your assessment that Frost's fatal mistake was to forego hiring better experienced coordinators and top assistants when hired.
Then name them, don’t just say you can name them, actually name them. Which teams outside of OSU, Michigan and Penn State have better brand name recognition? Certainly we aren’t in their realm any longer at this point, but to imply we are no better than anyone else in fan support, and our brand is ‘meh’ (my words, not yours), seems like you’re going out of your way to throw Nebraska under the bus.

I agree the Nebraska brand is waning, but I don’t agree with the speed you seem to think it is waning.

Reactions: ThunderPhillips95
This is what happens when I watch Nebraska play football now..I cross my fingers that the ball will be snapped to the QB and not over his head. I hold my breath every time the ball goes in the air hoping it won't be intercepted. I somewhat expect the ball to be fumbled whenever the QB takes off with the ball. I want our kick returners to just fair catch or let the ball go for a touchback because they rarely make the 25 or they fumble it away. When I see a yellow flag come out I pretty much expect it will be on the Huskers. If the Huskers take a lead I have a sinking feeling that it won't last long....This is exactly what I felt when Riley was coaching in his last year here. Nothing has changed with Scott Frost and I'm not sure he knows how to change what is happening.

Not a big fan of Dirk but THAT article is spot on. The cost of keeping Frost for 3-4 years at this rate outweighs the positives. Neb loves their FB more than any other state. They need something to believe in. The believers are dropping off in droves. I was 96 percent in with Frost in year one and I’ve spent hundreds of not thousands of hours in my lifetime reading, writing and dreaming of them. Now I’m 20 percent on Frost on year 3. What is the average fan? This continues...Neb may see a 2/3 full stadium in 2 years. That’s pretty damned sad.

Note...my family planned our vacation schedule around Neb’s Bowl games when I was a kid. Brother started for TO. Huuuuge fans. What does the average fan think today?

I want to be wrong, but what competitive or recruiting advantage do we have over the rest of the mid-level B1G teams. Even with a home run hire, our upside with a HOF coach is a program like Wisconsin...makes me sick to type, but how is it not true? And fining the right coach won’t be easy. Right now the Nebraska job is a career killer, and any young coach that has success will leave for something more sustainable.

Here is the "money" quote from this article:

"We can blame rotten luck or a bare cupboard, but facts are facts. Frost hasn’t been as bad as Husker coaches whom we consider failures. He’s been worse."

Nebraska Football can be successful again with or without Scott Frost. The losses will probably continue to accumulate under Frost to the point a tough choice will be made at the end of Year 5. Continued failure, lack of progress, lack of improvement, and a piss poor record will doom anyone who is a HC at Nebraska.

Nebraska took a chance on a "hotshot" up and coming HC who really did not prove much at UCF. The AAC is barely a step above high school play and with their hotbed of recruiting, Josh Heupel has not lost a step for UCF. You can't blame the fans, you can't blame the AD, you can't blame the lack of resources, this falls squarely on SF.

Perhaps if he were serious about coaching in the B1G he would have sought after veteran coaches to pepper his already green staff. They definitely are not ready for prime time and it shows. Maybe, just maybe some changes will occur this offseason but I would not count on it happening.

Because failure is likely at this point you have to ask: Will fans show up to watch a poorly coached team lose week after week? Tough sell in Year 4 or Year 5 of a program. I don't expect SF to last after Year 5 which is disappointing, everyone wanted him to succeed, however the coach has to be accountable, look at their salaries. It demands accountability.

The only upside is you can hire a competent coach for $5M a year. The AD just has to perform due diligence with outside consultants. You cannot let emotion play a factor in the hiring process again and you cannot let a former AD/HC influence the decision. Remember that Nebraska is still a name brand, other B1G schools do not have that luxury, and because of the lack of pro sports, a fan base to support the program.

No one person is larger than the program. Not even Scott Frost.
I don’t know about the high school you went to but UCF would put up 200 on the ones around me

Not a big fan of Dirk but THAT article is spot on. The cost of keeping Frost for 3-4 years at this rate outweighs the positives. Neb loves their FB more than any other state. They need something to believe in. The believers are dropping off in droves. I was 96 percent in with Frost in year one and I’ve spent hundreds of not thousands of hours in my lifetime reading, writing and dreaming of them. Now I’m 20 percent on Frost on year 3. What is the average fan? This continues...Neb may see a 2/3 full stadium in 2 years. That’s pretty damned sad.

Note...my family planned our vacation schedule around Neb’s Bowl games when I was a kid. Brother started for TO. Huuuuge fans. What does the average fan think today?

I am right there with you Rick. Like you, I remember the days I knew we would win. Then came the days I hoped we would win. Now are the days I know we will lose and look like a very poor team doing it. As a couple of my my friends who coach JC ball say, “ you guys are close to becoming Kansas football.” That is how far we have fallen.

I am right there with you Rick. Like you, I remember the days I knew we would win. Then came the days I hoped we would win. Now are the days I know we will lose and look like a very poor team doing it. As a couple of my my friends who coach JC ball say, “ you guys are close to becoming Kansas football.” That is how far we have fallen.
Yah. It’s disappointing. Hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. We were good for so long...i seriously took it for granted. Growing up it’s like there were three sure things in this world ...death, taxes AND Nebraska being good/nationally relevant in FB. The third is NOT a birth right or guarantee. It just took me about 37 years to realize that.

Yah. It’s disappointing. Hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. We were good for so long...i seriously took it for granted. Growing up it’s like there were three sure things in this world ...death, taxes AND Nebraska being good/nationally relevant in FB. The third is NOT a birth right or guarantee. It just took me about 37 years to realize that.

Yep. I would go to games with my dad and uncles and they would be guessing on when we would put the backups in and we were still early in the second quarter.

Then name them, don’t just say you can name them, actually name them. Which teams outside of OSU, Michigan and Penn State have better brand name recognition? Certainly we aren’t in their realm any longer at this point, but to imply we are no better than anyone else in fan support, and our brand is ‘meh’ (my words, not yours), seems like you’re going out of your way to throw Nebraska under the bus.

I agree the Nebraska brand is waning, but I don’t agree with the speed you seem to think it is waning.
I wouldn't even include Michigan in that because they are down also and I think Nebraska is ok but the problem is US the true fans that are getting older and cashing out are losing our numbers and this next generation just don't give a crap about football or sports in general and that's what will hurt our brand the most because if you cant get the younger generation interested in the huskers our brand is in trouble

Reactions: timnsun
Here is the "money" quote from this article:

"We can blame rotten luck or a bare cupboard, but facts are facts. Frost hasn’t been as bad as Husker coaches whom we consider failures. He’s been worse."
And to add to this he NEVER has pulled off an upset. I mean common should he not beat a premier team, even once. And no , the Michiagn State win does not count.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Not even close to Kansas football. What juco?

I graduated high school in 1971 and also loved Nebraska football and attended numerous games. When the 90's came it was "oh my God, we fell out of the top 10. I hope we can at least get to a yearly top 15. I wish I could say Frost is the guy. I look back and I think Osborne ended up being a good coach but I honestly feel if we wouldn't have been in the Big 8 his record wouldn't have been what it was. I am guessing I may get crucified for that, but, oh well.

I read it. Seemed pretty meh to me. He basically looked at the first 19 losses of each Head Coach since TO. He concluded that Frost's 19th loss wasn't as bad as the others and his losses overall aren't as bad, but he is losing far too often (no shit) and we risk fan apathy is it continues (also no shit).

But what are you going to say at this point?
Risk apathy? We’re there brother.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I graduated high school in 1971 and also loved Nebraska football and attended numerous games. When the 90's came it was "oh my God, we fell out of the top 10. I hope we can at least get to a yearly top 15. I wish I could say Frost is the guy. I look back and I think Osborne ended up being a good coach but I honestly feel if we wouldn't have been in the Big 8 his record wouldn't have been what it was. I am guessing I may get crucified for that, but, oh well.
Yeah you should, because you're totally wrong. Osborne didn't end up being a good coach. He was always a good coach, and ended up becoming an all-time great coach. Everybody had smaller conferences back then. A lot of Big 8 teams had pretty good seasons and were ranked in the top 25, but we hardly even noticed because we were ranked in the top 5 and expected to win every time regardless. The Big 8 was never a bad conference. OU and NU were just so good that they made every other team look bad.

I was pissed after the Illinois loss. I wanted everyone fired. I cooled down, and I see how the players react to Frost, and that gives me a nebulous sort of hope. I think the team is getting better, in a very incremental way. But it's happening.

I'm not down for another 3-5 years or more of this, if we fire Frost. He'll learn and his staff will too. Who stays, who goes? Thats up to coach. I think he'll get it done because he actually loves the program, and the state.

Yeah you should, because you're totally wrong. Osborne didn't end up being a good coach. He was always a good coach, and ended up becoming an all-time great coach. Everybody had smaller conferences back then. A lot of Big 8 teams had pretty good seasons and were ranked in the top 25, but we hardly even noticed because we were ranked in the top 5 and expected to win every time regardless. The Big 8 was never a bad conference. OU and NU were just so good that they made every other team look bad.
Like Larry Bird walking into the locker room before the 1988 3-point Shooting Contest: “Who’s coming in second?”
Except in this case, who’s coming in third?

Reactions: countrybob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT