ADVERTISEMENT

Dirk Chatelain: Former Nebraska players seeing 'great vibe' with Mike Riley

SarasotaHusker

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2003
Terrific column from Dirk (my favorite Nebraska sports columnist) tonight.

Some excerpts:

"The head coach brings a different dimension to the game," said Jeff Merrell, former nose tackle from 1979 to '82. "His approach to meeting people, it's kind of the Tom Osborne way of doing things. I'm not saying he's Tom Osborne, but I am saying he has his demeanor."

~~snip~~

"There's a great vibe. Everybody just has a smile on their face," said Bill Bobbora, offensive guard from 1985 to '89, who especially noticed the difference with veteran athletic department officials and administrators. "Last year, everybody had bags under their eyes and they were just tired of being bullied."

~~snip~~

"We always considered ourselves family," said Bill Bryant, defensive tackle 1974 from '78. "We always felt like we could come home. It just started to feel like we were a nuisance or a reminder of a bygone era."

"Sometimes people feel a little insecure that they haven't quite achieved some of the accomplishments that the previous coaching staffs had."

Bryant, who grew up in Alabama, loved Nebraska because it felt like home, where you could walk down the street and talk to strangers. Under Pelini, fellowship ran deep within the players and staff. But not outside the walls of the Osborne Complex, Bryant said.

"It should be embraced across the generations in order to really keep the tradition going," Bryant said.

Read the full column here:

Former Nebraska players seeing 'great vibe' with M

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.