ADVERTISEMENT

Direction of men’s sports

Husker Red 182

Walk On
Oct 28, 2019
All of moos’s hires felt obvious and looked like home run hires however none to this point have yielded results (although bolt had a season cancelled so no chance to produce). Looking at each program I feel like baseball has a solid foundation and love the recruiting strategy with a lot of Nebraska guys and then supplement them with Texans and other national recruits.

Basketball records are ugly. However my eyes tell me hoibergs teams are improving. Last year because we had 6 foot guards and no post presence they had to pack the lane and hope for misses. This year team got out and guarded. Offensively, they are def getting better but continue to make mistakes. Solid recruiting class cause for optimism. Primary concern is does team need a true point guard or can one of the McGowans run the show.

Football is most concerning. Defensive had tangible improvement and a solid group returning. Offense is the concern. Gotta start with mistakes snapping ball, penalties, and turnovers. Feel like could be solid unit if don’t stop themselves. Special teams need improvement. Feel like relative to division talent comparable, but execution and penalties hold us back. If that improves feel like could be competitive in division to even win it. If not another sub .500 season

Reactions: 1954
Baseball is not a major collegiate sport outside of maybe a few southern schools - even less so in the big ten - where the conference RPI typically ranks it 7th-9th

Football and men’s basketball are the only major sports. How the other sports are performing is irrelevant if those 2 sports combine to be the worst in all of power 5

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Current direction.

All of moos’s hires felt obvious and looked like home run hires however none to this point have yielded results (although bolt had a season cancelled so no chance to produce). Looking at each program I feel like baseball has a solid foundation and love the recruiting strategy with a lot of Nebraska guys and then supplement them with Texans and other national recruits.
Moos made two "home run" hires but neither seem to be working out. The key though is to give them time. The number one thing that I've seen over the years is the great athletic programs hire good people and give them time. The trouble with that (college athletics and pro as well) is that in many places the ADs and GMs themselves have little job security. So everything is rushed and knee jerk. A revolving door of change is characteristic of any under performing organization.

Having said that, you brought up recruiting. That's a concern for me. It used to be that we were concerned about bringing in top talent out of places like St. Louis and Dallas. Now it's a forgone conclusion that we're not getting top guys out of there and we're concerned about bringing in top guys out of Omaha and Kansas City, and appear to be failing at that. The worst part about that is that talent is up in those metro areas at a time when our teams are as bad as they've ever been.

Moos made two "home run" hires but neither seem to be working out. The key though is to give them time. The number one thing that I've seen over the years is the great athletic programs hire good people and give them time.

With respect, can you name all the recent football programs who have had 3 consecutive losing seasons after making a coaching change whose patience has been later rewarded and they became great

Last edited:
Moos made two "home run" hires but neither seem to be working out. The key though is to give them time. The number one thing that I've seen over the years is the great athletic programs hire good people and give them time. The trouble with that (college athletics and pro as well) is that in many places the ADs and GMs themselves have little job security. So everything is rushed and knee jerk. A revolving door of change is characteristic of any under performing organization.

Having said that, you brought up recruiting. That's a concern for me. It used to be that we were concerned about bringing in top talent out of places like St. Louis and Dallas. Now it's a forgone conclusion that we're not getting top guys out of there and we're concerned about bringing in top guys out of Omaha and Kansas City, and appear to be failing at that. The worst part about that is that talent is up in those metro areas at a time when our teams are as bad as they've ever been.
I agree time is a major component of success. The problem I see with both football and basketball are the repetitive mistakes. That to me is a red flag. In the business world, this red flag would cause a need for change. I saw progress with basketball. Fred adjusted his lineup. The team played hard even though he the talent wasn't there. I can't say that about football on the offensive side. The offensive coaching continues to repeat mistakes in year three. One more year with no improvement and it's time to move on.

Do you think 2020 was the same as every other 3rd season in college football history? You think there was zero chance that Frost might have put up a mediocre 7 win season in a normal year, like Bill Snyder and Kirk Ferentz did in their 3rd seasons? Frost has sucked, and has made plenty of mistakes. The loss of spring practice last year was brutal. I don't think he recovers but I'm not in a hurry to get back on the coaching carousel either. Rather than kicking dirt on his grave daily I'm good with seeing how 2021 plays out.

Basketball records are ugly. However my eyes tell me hoibergs teams are improving. Last year because we had 6 foot guards and no post presence they had to pack the lane and hope for misses. This year team got out and guarded. Offensively, they are def getting better but continue to make mistakes. Solid recruiting class cause for optimism. Primary concern is does team need a true point guard or can one of the McGowans run the show.

Football is most concerning. Defensive had tangible improvement and a solid group returning. Offense is the concern. Gotta start with mistakes snapping ball, penalties, and turnovers. Feel like could be solid unit if don’t stop themselves. Special teams need improvement. Feel like relative to division talent comparable, but execution and penalties hold us back. If that improves feel like could be competitive in division to even win it. If not another sub .500 season
Do we need to run this topic every week?

Do you think 2020 was the same as every other 3rd season in college football history? You think there was zero chance that Frost might have put up a mediocre 7 win season in a normal year, like Bill Snyder and Kirk Ferentz did in their 3rd seasons? Frost has sucked, and has made plenty of mistakes. The loss of spring practice last year was brutal. I don't think he recovers but I'm not in a hurry to get back on the coaching carousel either. Rather than kicking dirt on his grave daily I'm good with seeing how 2021 plays out.

I’m quite fascinated with the mental gymnastics you had to do to come with 4 more wins

please list the 4 additional teams you imagine Neb would have beaten to get to 7 wins

IMO, we did make two very good hires of relatively young proven head coaches. They both could coach another 15-20 years at NU. While I share some of your concern about recruiting I look at our depth chart at every position EXCEPT QB and think that we're in much better shape than we were when Frost took over. QB is the number one position you HAVE to get right in football. Period. You put Tommy Armstrong in this offense and we easily would have gotten bowl eligible last year IMO. We HAVE to change the narrative about Husker football this year in order to keep recruiting going though. Frost recruited very well IMO given his early record. Another year of losing and that's going to get a lot tougher.

I was listening to Kiper's show a couple of days ago and they were talking about evaluating QBs and the difference between guys who look the part and actually have the goods to succeed as they jump from college to the pros or high school to college. It's between the ears and you really don't know for sure what they're going to do until the bullets are flying. I am hoping that Martinez with a full normal spring, summer workouts and fall camp can get comfortable with the new WRs and RBs and have a good year. We were so dang close to winning so many of these games if our QBs can stop with the stupid turnovers and the O line could remember the snap count.

I’m quite fascinated with the mental gymnastics you had to do to come with 4 more wins

please list the 4 additional teams you imagine Neb would have beaten to get to 7 wins
That's impossible, you're equating the team that Frost put on the field in the ACTUAL 2020 to one that he might have put up in an alternate reality. I'm not saying he would have put up 7 wins, I'm saying you're smugly comparing Frost's 3rd season with every other 3rd season in history that took place in normal years. Again, I don't think he turns it around but I'm also not embarrassed to hope that he does. Meanwhile you're like a hyena that can't wait to get up each morning and tear another chunk of flesh off.

That's impossible, you're equating the team that Frost put on the field in the ACTUAL 2020 to one that he might have put up in an alternate reality. I'm not saying he would have put up 7 wins, I'm saying you're smugly comparing Frost's 3rd season with every other 3rd season in history that took place in normal years. Again, I don't think he turns it around but I'm also not embarrassed to hope that he does. Meanwhile you're like a hyena that can't wait to get up each morning and tear another chunk of flesh off.

Don’t feed the troll jlb.. put him on ignore..

Not having the non-conference schedule was a tough deal. NU also was playing a lot of young players who didn't get spring football, summer workouts or a real fall camp. Then you throw those young guys to the wolves right off the bat without the benefit of a couple of non-conference games and I'm not sure what would have been reasonable to expect. I thought the young guys played pretty damned well though given the circumstances. What was most disappointing though was the play of a couple of our senior O linemen and QBs.

Reactions: ATX Husker
You think there was zero chance that Frost might have put up a mediocre 7 win season in a normal year, like Kirk Ferentz did in their 3rd seasons?

Gracious .... now Kirk Ferentz is being held up as a coach that maybe, one day in the distant future, scott frost could possibly measure up to

the path of aspiring to be Iowa-lite is being paved

Last edited:
Gracious .... now Kirk Ferentz is being held up as a coach that maybe, one day in the distant future, scott frost could maybe measure up to

the path of aspiring to be Iowa-lite is being paved
We all know you're an Iowa fan, you don't have to beat us over the head with it troll. I merely asked whether you thought there was zero chance Frost could have put up 7 wins in a normal 3rd season, as Snyder and Ferentz did. You didn't answer the question and instead you''re putting words in my mouth. As a troll would. For the record, 7 wins in year 3 is a nice stepping stone, Ferentz just never went anywhere with it and Iowa fans are fine with it.

Really like the direction of the baseball program, I think basketball also has a chance to really continue to improve. My issue with Hoiberg was resetting the roster twice, I understand the reasoning and he will always look to bring new guys in but starting from scratch year after year isn't good but I think they have good core and foundation. Football is a mess and I hope Frost is the guy, Covid really did hit young teams hard in all sports so the struggles don't really surprise me, the problem is there's always an excuse, this team is always young because guys leave or don't develop and the issues I feel the coaching should have fixed or improved in year 3 regardless of talent haven't been fixed and still cost this team.

Last edited:
For the record, 7 wins in year 3 is a nice stepping stone, Ferentz just never went anywhere with it and Iowa fans are fine with it.

after that 7 win season the next 3 years included a big ten championship and 3 straight top ten finishes

now I’m sure with frost, being the superior coach and all, he will easily exceed those results

for the record I’m not an Iowa fan - I just remind the board of their meager achievements so Neb doesn’t get lulled into accepting similar average at best results

after that 7 win season the next 3 years included a big ten championship and 3 straight top ten finishes

now I’m sure with frost, being the superior coach and all, he will easily exceed those results
You sure know lot about Ioway..
Why don’t you go back to your teams board..

You sure know lot about Ioway..
Why don’t you go back to your teams board..

have to do your research to avoid setting the bar at Iowa - which seems to be the current trajectory - to be honest Iowa results might be a little optimistic

for the record I’m not an Iowa fan - I just remind the board of their meager achievements so Neb doesn’t get lulled into accepting similar average at best results
Again, I asked you whether you thought there was a chance he could have won 7 last year if it had been a normal year and you have repeatedly refused to answer. The only answer is we'll never know because it WASN'T a normal year. You spend all your time around here talking to yourself, you never have an actual conversation with anyone. Since I've said repeatedly that I don't see Frost turning it around, why is it that you feel the need to remind me of anything? I don't really know if you're an Iowa fan, I just know for sure you're not a Nebraska fan.

Reactions: scarletred
Again, I asked you whether you thought there was a chance he could have won 7 last year if it had been a normal year and you have repeatedly refused to answer. The only answer is we'll never know because it WASN'T a normal year. You spend all your time around here talking to yourself, you never have an actual conversation with anyone. Since I've said repeatedly that I don't see Frost turning it around, why is it that you feel the need to remind me of anything? I don't really know if you're an Iowa fan, I just know for sure you're not a Nebraska fan.

Nebraska would have won 5 games. They lose to Wisc and Cincinnati, beat SDSU and probably beat C Michigan.

You are making assumptions based on whether there is simply a better than zero chance versus what is most likely ... the obsession with conjuring up everything on earth as being relevant with the exception of the actual win-loss record continues (another Iowa trait)

Reactions: Chuck003

He never admits who he is a fan of..NEVER..But it’s as obvious as hell he isn’t a Husker fan.. Why he hangs out here is beyond comprehension..

Nebraska would have won 5 games. They lose to Wisc and Cincinnati, beat SDSU and probably beat C Michigan.

You are making assumptions based on whether there is simply a better than zero chance versus what is most likely ... the obsession with conjuring up everything on earth as being relevant with the exception of the actual win-loss record continues (another Iowa trait)
I’m not making ANY assumption. I’ve simply said you’re comparing every other 3rd year coach in history with Frost’s 3rd season. It’s not an apples-to-apples comparison. I have no agenda, unlike you.

With respect, can you name all the recent football programs who have had 3 consecutive losing seasons after making a coaching change whose patience has been later rewarded and they became great
No. I'm not going to do that because I don't have time to do all that. A couple who quickly come to mind are Bill Snyder, Chuck Noll, and Bill Belichick. I'm just talking philosophically.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I agree time is a major component of success. The problem I see with both football and basketball are the repetitive mistakes. That to me is a red flag. In the business world, this red flag would cause a need for change. I saw progress with basketball. Fred adjusted his lineup. The team played hard even though he the talent wasn't there. I can't say that about football on the offensive side. The offensive coaching continues to repeat mistakes in year three. One more year with no improvement and it's time to move on.
That's one thing none of us can argue with is the mistakes. So many mistakes. Presnap penalties on offense and an embarrassing mistakes on special teams. Both of those areas are on the coaching staff.

No. I'm not going to do that because I don't have time to do all that. A couple who quickly come to mind are Bill Snyder, Chuck Noll, and Bill Belichick. I'm just talking philosophically.

Snyder isn’t recent as the question asked ... 3 decades ago ... didn’t have 3 losing seasons and even his losing seasons were a vast improvement from his predecessor

Please stick to college programs

Last edited:
Yep, what's done is done. I'll give Frost one more chance next year to at the very least pull out 7 wins.

Basketball has been in a rinse and repeat cycle since Danny Nee and Hoiberg has credentials. Let him work the problem. In terms of football people need to understand that the Devanny/Osborne era is over. There is a snakebit vibe at play. Riley’s last team was decidedly uncompetitive, yet the general level of recruiting was always at least top 30. Frost hasn’t faired much better after an All-time G6 season in 2017..
The defense has shown real signs of progress. My thought on the offense is that that running a Chip Kelly type offense on a week to week basis in the B1G is a dicey build. But NU can be competitive running something more in the orbit of what Beck was developing at NU. The priority should be on developing a good stable of RBs and developing schemes to favor them. Frosts general offensive principles can evolve in this direction.

Last edited:
Basketball has been in a rinse and repeat cycle since Danny Nee and Hoiberg has credentials. Let him work the problem. In terms of football people need to understand that the Devanny/Osborne error is over. There is a snakebit vibe at play. Riley’s last team was decidedly uncompetitive, yet the general level of recruiting was always at least top 30. Frost hasn’t faired much better after an All-time G6 season in 2017..
The defense has shown real signs of progress. My thought on the offense is that that running a Chip Kelly type offense on a week to week basis in the B1G is a dicey build. But NU can be competitive running something more in the orbit of what Beck was developing at NU. The priority should be on developing a good stable of RBs and developing schemes to favor them. Frosts general offensive principles can evolve in this direction.
POY. Nobody is happy thus far with the results from either coach. IMO the best course for the long term is to ride with these guys until they get it right. I get the disappointment in Frost's teams but I still think he's a bright guy and will get it done. I just don't think we can find a better fit. Time will tell. I'm giving him at least 2 more years.

POY. Nobody is happy thus far with the results from either coach. IMO the best course for the long term is to ride with these guys until they get it right. I get the disappointment in Frost's teams but I still think he's a bright guy and will get it done. I just don't think we can find a better fit. Time will tell. I'm giving him at least 2 more years.
Some may be comfortable riding with Frost until he gets it right, I would be concerned that other than die hard fans most won’t. The other much bigger concern is when major donors pull the plug , that’s when Scott has reached the end .

It’s been mentioned numerous times , but from what I see , living outside of Nebraska (I was born and raised in NE) most casual fans have already for the most part thrown in the towel

Last edited:
Some may be comfortable riding with Frost until he gets it right, I would be concerned that other than die hard fans most won’t. The other much bigger concern be when major donors pull the plug , that’s truest when Scott has reached the end .

It’s been mentioned numerous times , but from what I see , living outside of Nebraska (I was born and raised in NE) most casual fans have already for the most part thrown in thectowel
If not sold out, the stadium will largely full this coming year and in following years. Really the only game in town. And you are correct, the boosters control the purse strings and thus have input on the longevity of any coaching staff. The boosters would be wise take into account that there isn't a "Magic Coach" that can snap his fingers and get NU back to the top of the heap. The idea of replacing Pelini with Riley was ludicrous. Pelini should have been allowed to fail on his own. I think that a lot of folks feared less that he would fail and more that he would stay in that dreaded nine win purgatory, with an occasional 10th win and top 15 ranking. All things the program would kill for now. Once you are a losing program, it can be hard to get out of that box. And that's where NU football is at present. Sure, pick a number on the coaching carousel. Doesn't mean squat at this point in my mind, but just another opportunity for rich guys to pay the fired coach out and back a dump truck of dollars in the driveway of the new guy.

Reactions: TerranPetteway
I am with you I feel like if Frost is willing to run more of a power running offense with spread principles we have a chance. If we continue air raid god help us.
Basketball has been in a rinse and repeat cycle since Danny Nee and Hoiberg has credentials. Let him work the problem. In terms of football people need to understand that the Devanny/Osborne era is over. There is a snakebit vibe at play. Riley’s last team was decidedly uncompetitive, yet the general level of recruiting was always at least top 30. Frost hasn’t faired much better after an All-time G6 season in 2017..

POY. Nobody is happy thus far with the results from either coach. IMO the best course for the long term is to ride with these guys until they get it right.
what a juxtaposition to the discussion in the stimulus thread or the general disdain some have for what they perceive as handouts

But neb should cont to hand over 5 million a year in welfare “until they get it right” - despite no coaching staff getting it more wrong over a 3 year stretch at Neb in approx 60 years

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
what a juxtaposition to the discussion in the stimulus thread or the general disdain some have for what they perceive as handouts

But neb should cont to hand over 5 million a year in welfare “until they get it right” - despite no coaching staff getting it more wrong over a 3 year stretch at Neb in approx 60 years
So we should essentially pay for two HC coaching salaries in perpetuity. The one(s) we are paying out and the one we are paying to coach. The fact that there is way too much $$$ sloshing around in P5 football and basketball is due to getting a highly sought after product essentially for free. This allows lucky folks like Frost to receive generational levels of wealth. I'm just for stopping the madness. We'll know in a couple of seasons whether Frost can win here or not. Maybe recenter the discussions around the football players on offer. Or at least discuss what Frost should be doing and quit with the "Scott Fraud" crap.
I have a suggestion - quit worrying so much about WRs and worry more about getting at least two high quality RBs on the roster (maybe they are already here!). There is no way to develop an adequate passing game if you can't run the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT