ADVERTISEMENT

Dino Babers, Deon, Mickey, Jay Norvell

bob5150

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 30, 2004
I want any of these guys to lead the program. Babers had done great things in Upstate NY. Deon would be massively fun. Naysayers hate the idea because of their 190,000 reasons, but when was the last time Husker Football was actually fun? Mickey would do a great job and already has, with the only good players on the team being kids he brought here. Norvell is the "proven head coach" that some people need. Anyone who can say all four of these guys would be bad hires are the same people who would trash a whole list of 10-15 more realistic candidates, and probably not be completely happy with any hire.

61 year old Babers that is 35-46 at Syracuse?
Yep. Same guy who brought a burned-to-the- ground program back into the top 25, and beat Clemson. Leipold is late 50's. People want him, right? Seems to me that some fans who want "younger" candidates are viewing the difference between 54, 58, and 62 as a 23 year gap. That's the common core math at work

Lol at Mickey having done a great job. Sad to go from the 90s where the nation feared us and every week was an expected blowout to the garbage we are seeing now where fans just accept being terrible if the coach is a Husker alum. Mickey is getting his make a wish experience as he piles up losses this year. Next year a real coach will be in charge.

I want any of these guys to lead the program. Babers had done great things in Upstate NY. Deon would be massively fun. Naysayers hate the idea because of their 190,000 reasons, but when was the last time Husker Football was actually fun? Mickey would do a great job and already has, with the only good players on the team being kids he brought here. Norvell is the "proven head coach" that some people need. Anyone who can say all four of these guys would be bad hires are the same people who would trash a whole list of 10-15 more realistic candidates, and probably not be completely happy with any hire.

Which one of these has a 70+ win% all time AND not on their first run as head man?

Which one of these has a 70+ win% all time AND not on their first run as head man?
None of them. But that shows me what your prerequisite is for a candidate, and that's fair. It also says that you are a strong lean to Leipold, because I can't think of any other realistic candidate who meets those standards.

Lol at Mickey having done a great job. Sad to go from the 90s where the nation feared us and every week was an expected blowout to the garbage we are seeing now where fans just accept being terrible if the coach is a Husker alum. Mickey is getting his make a wish experience as he piles up losses this year. Next year a real coach will be in charge.
Yep. Piling up losses with a team full of kids he isn't responsible for bringing here. The kids he is responsible for have kept us from 0-12. Vance Joseph is a CU alum and I would consider him, too.

None of them. But that shows me what your prerequisite is for a candidate, and that's fair. It also says that you are a strong lean to Leipold, because I can't think of any other realistic candidate who meets those standards.

No I'm a strong lean towards Freeze, Fickell, or Lane.

how you managed to look at the coach of a 2-7 Colorado State team and think "hmm, why not him?" is beyond comprehension.

actually, its quite obvious you just want a non-white head coach from looking at your list.

how you managed to look at the coach of a 2-7 Colorado State team and think "hmm, why not him?" is beyond comprehension.

actually, its quite obvious you just want a non-white head coach from looking at your list.
In 2018, like many others, I wanted Scott Frost, so that would that be contrary to your point? Coincidence?

Further, my interest in Norvell stems from the "Once a Husker" angle. Played at Iowa, recruited well for Cally when he was here. His CSU record worries me as much as Mickey's record here. It doesn't. I'm more looking at what he was able to do at Nevada. I only heard him lie once, when he said, "Neil's a good player," referring to Cornelius Fuamatu-Thomas. He was a very poor Offensive lineman, but better than every guy on our current line in 2022.

Last edited:
Cool but Jay Norvell? Really
Yes. That man can coach. CSU current record notwithstanding. I went to the recruiting banquet at Omaha Ramada in 2005. I thought he was the most energetic, intelligent, and perceptive coach on the stage that night. My gut told me he was going to be a big timer one day. He will right the ship at CSU inside of four years, and he'll be a P5 head coach.

For what Mickey inherited, I will give him some props. It is his first year in the program, he knows none of the players except those he recruited. The program was in free fall which he likely didn't anticipate. The OC was new as well so he is coaching WRs in a new to Nebraska system. Then all heck breaks loose and the head guy is gone, there are problems on the D side and the former HC's best friend is gone. So you have lost the HC, DC and you new IHC is new to everyone but is expected to turn things around on a dime. It simply can't happen.

On top of that the injuries are mounting but still the kids are playing hard and not giving up. It would be easy to go through the motions but they are not and that is a tribute to Mickey and his make shift staff. If this was that easy, anyone could do it and we can see, they can't. Then figure that Mickey has already won half as many games as Frost did at his peak at Nebraska. My hat is off to the guy, what a mess.

Please let a real coach be in charge.

why? the dude hasn't won anything championship-related for 2 decades. in fact, Callahan did better with Gruden's pieces than he did.
google what a superbowl is, and never question a post of mine again.

ok so rhule as hc, (complete rebuild from the ground up...
mickey as oc (can do on recruiting)
neon deon as dc (can do on recruiting)
and keep bill (special teams, good for talking to sipple), the rb coach(texas recruits) and fisher(db/florida recruits)...
maybe babers know what a oline or dline is?
I think norvell was our receivers coach..before..he can take mickey's spot at wr coach...

mickey can close the nil/transfer deals
prime time can close the recruiting deals

• Haha
Reactions: thall_ and bob5150
No I'm a strong lean towards Freeze, Fickell, or Lane.
There's only one realistic chance of those three, and he's the one that should be a no brainer to go get and let him run amok in the B1G West. He'd have nebraska in the CCG in two seasons. Thinking Fickell & Kiffin would come here is total delusion. Time for nebraska fans to come back to the real world.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
There's only one realistic chance of those three, and he's the one that should be a no brainer to go get and let him run amok in the B1G West. He'd have nebraska in the CCG in two seasons. Thinking Fickell & Kiffin would come here is total delusion. Time for nebraska fans to come back to the real world.
Nebraska would be a step up for both

Nebraska would be a step up for both
Depends what they consider a step up - even if it was , it doesn't mean they'd take that step up at nebraska right now. The nebraska job is teetering on being a toxic job considering the last 20+ years. It hasn't been conducive to being a great choice for any party involved. A lot of luster has been lost. A gunslinger like Freeze would instantly fix that. He brings the best of everything nebraska needs right now.

Depends what they consider a step up - even if it was , it doesn't mean they'd take that step up at nebraska right now. The nebraska job is teetering on being a toxic job considering the last 20+ years. It hasn't been conducive to being a great choice for any party involved. A lot of luster has been lost. A gunslinger like Freeze would instantly fix that. He brings the best of everything nebraska needs right now.
acctually the nebraska job is gravy...just do their job and it clicks..
liberty is no where and ole miss will be a uphill grind

ok so rhule as hc, (complete rebuild from the ground up...
mickey as oc (can do on recruiting)
neon deon as dc (can do on recruiting)
and keep bill (special teams, good for talking to sipple), the rb coach(texas recruits) and fisher(db/florida recruits)...
maybe babers know what a oline or dline is?
I think norvell was our receivers coach..before..he can take mickey's spot at wr coach...

mickey can close the nil/transfer deals
prime time can close the recruiting deals
I would NOT put Mickey as OC. Keep him at WR where he is a strength. IMO, he hasn't shown any ability to call plays in his stint as acting head coach. He could have over ruled Whipple any time he wanted and, in particular, could have benched Purdy earlier. And for sure Deon is not going to take a demotion to DC.

Reactions: BleedRed78
google what a superbowl is, and never question a post of mine again.
google what 2 decades is, then literally fück your own face.

you come up with the most batshit ideas that are either the result of alcohol or being somewhere in the age vicinity of 12-15, so you just parrot what your drunken dad tells you.

Freeze would kill it here. The dude wins. Regardless of those looking down their nose at him, he is going to be successful.

I highly highly doubt he's cheating at Liberty. And regardless if he got talent because of a few bucks, he still had to develop that talent, to coax the passion out of them to perform. It's not like he was paying Suh level players, and they still beat Alabama and Nick Saban..twice!

Sleeping on Freeze will be the biggest joke of Husker Nation in my opinion. Beyond Petersen, beyond Mack Brown, beyond Meyer. We know Freezes quality and he's at a place Nebraska can steal him from.

Freeze wants a name outside of the tabloids and he has the chops to get it done. Some University is going to wake the F up, not be condescending douche bags and hire him.

Is this sarcasm or irony, I'm not sure which?

Reactions: thall_
google what 2 decades is, then literally fück your own face.

you come up with the most batshit ideas that are either the result of alcohol or being somewhere in the age vicinity of 12-15, so you just parrot what your drunken dad tells you.
don't be so sensitive. your obviously delusional if you think gruden can't coach

Freeze would kill it here. The dude wins. Regardless of those looking down their nose at him, he is going to be successful.

I highly highly doubt he's cheating at Liberty. And regardless if he got talent because of a few bucks, he still had to develop that talent, to coax the passion out of them to perform. It's not like he was paying Suh level players, and they still beat Alabama and Nick Saban..twice!

Sleeping on Freeze will be the biggest joke of Husker Nation in my opinion. Beyond Petersen, beyond Mack Brown, beyond Meyer. We know Freezes quality and he's at a place Nebraska can steal him from.

Freeze wants a name outside of the tabloids and he has the chops to get it done. Some University is going to wake the F up, not be condescending douche bags and hire him.
Why do you highly doubt he's cheating at Liberty? His AD oversaw the illustrious Briles tenure at Baylor. Trev will never hire a lowlife like Freeze, and I'm glad. I don't care how many games he can win

Reactions: 9and4
incredible that this is the same person.

nobody said he can't coach. Bill Cowher can coach too, and won a Superbowl more recently. why isn't he on your radar?
can not a NU fan want to hire a superbowl coach? is this an illegal activity? I live in America.

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
Why do you highly doubt he's cheating at Liberty? His AD oversaw the illustrious Briles tenure at Baylor. Trev will never hire a lowlife like Freeze, and I'm glad. I don't care how many games he can win
what would constitute cheating in today's landscape?

extra practices?

Reactions: dinglefritz

I don't doubt Nebraska, regardless of whom the AD is, would pass on a winner.

It's tradition.

Reactions: thall_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT