ADVERTISEMENT

Difference between NU and OU

It’s easy...

proximity to talent. Post TO, they have had better coaches, including the current HCs

Reactions: Chuck003
I believe coaching is critical to success. So Nebraska and other down programs will need excellent coaching to be successful. Excellent coaches go where there is a very good chance for success. That mean a number of things but one core requirement is availability of talent. If the talent is not available you will have a hard time being successful. What is sucessful at Nebraska. Well the fans said a consistent 9 win team would not be viewed as successful. They said that when they pushed for a consistent 9 win coach to be fired. So who wants to step into a situation where it is going to be very difficult to win more than 9 games considering the availability of talent. By Nebraska fan’s definition of successful probably Frost will not be successful at Nebraska. If he is not then what? Now I will wait for your attacks.

Availability of talent? The talent is available, there are no fences restricting the talent from leaving and coming to Nebraska.

Baylor is A P5 school in the middle of Texas and struggles to field a top 30 recruiting ranking. Oklahoma St is 90 miles from Oklahoma, is there Some sort of fence built from Enid to Prague that keeps the talent from getting north to Stillwater?

you have to have a product people want to buy, period.

Availability of talent? The talent is available, there are no fences restricting the talent from leaving and coming to Nebraska.

Baylor is A P5 school in the middle of Texas and struggles to field a top 30 recruiting ranking. Oklahoma St is 90 miles from Oklahoma, is there Some sort of fence built from Enid to Prague that keeps the talent from getting north to Stillwater?

I do agree with most of your posts...and most of this one as far as that goes.

In Baylor's defense....it is a very conservative school. It was the early 1990s before they ever allowed an on-campus dance (the "Bomont" of Footloose fame of the old SWC). Nothing wrong with this, but I kind of think that it isn't for everyone. Even under Grant Teaff, on an 11-game schedule, Baylor was a 6-5 to 8-3 program (with some years worse, and some better), and I think most of us would agree that he was a pretty solid coach.

You're spot on about Oklahoma State and Nebraska, though.

I do agree with most of your posts...and most of this one as far as that goes.

In Baylor's defense....it is a very conservative school. It was the early 1990s before they ever allowed an on-campus dance. Nothing wrong with this, but I kind of have the feeling that it isn't for everyone. Even under Grant Teaff, on an 11-game schedule, Baylor was a 6-5 to 8-3 program.

You're spot on about Oklahoma State and Nebraska, though.

Ok substitute TCU Or Tech, or Arkansas for Baylor. They are all close to talent hotbeds and don’t pull in top classes. Three of Ohio St’s best players are from Texas, (Dobbins, Okudah and Wilson)Those players didn’t have a problem leaving for a program that had something to sell. Oregon feasted in Texas. Some of it a little below board, but they got some good players from here. They too had something to sell.

Nebraska has something to sell but right now there seems to be a focus on being the place where underdog walk ons and culture and the 500 mile radius are the themes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nebraska_Reality

Yes all would agree there is plenty of talent in the United States. So when I say there is a problem with talent availability I do not mean that there is no talent in the United States. There is a talent availability problem for Nebraska for a number of years now.

I believe in a strong walk on program particularly for linemen but even I’ve been surprised at the number of walk ons “commiting” to N. Seems like we’re on our way to 200 practicing football players. Does that help us?

Yes all would agree there is plenty of talent in the United States. So when I say there is a problem with talent availability I do not mean that there is no talent in the United States. There is a talent availability problem for Nebraska for a number of years now.

because the focus is often not going after best players out there. It’s about finding some magical fit, under valued player within the 500 mile radius because that is what worked in 1980’s and 1990’s and that is what Wisconsin and Iowa do. The mindset is that we can’t get those players to come to Nebraska and we can’t compete with the southern teams in recruiting, so we will just get a player almost as good and “coach him up”.

When we do go after those stud players, many on the forums complain about coaches “wasting their timeand resources on those players when we should be going after players that are more likely to say yes.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: buddha7mu
I would say the main difference's are
1. administration making correct coaching decisions
2. 0kie's not interupting their historical recruiting channels
3. Nebraska going away from the run, and trying to out recruit other teams for players that are more for passing.

Reactions: bshirt73
Excellent coaching and the fact they are kissing Texas on the head according to the map.

Such close proximity to a huge pool of recruits shouldn't be under valued when comparing Oklahoma to Nebraska.

Yea, short drive to DFW and 1/2 day drive to Houston, Austin and San Antonio. Plus OKC and Tulsa are not small. Lots of recruites in a small area

Reactions: Sinomatic
I would say the main difference's are

3. Nebraska going away from the run, and trying to out recruit other teams for players that are more for passing.

End of the program. I said it when Callahan was hired. There is no way to outrecruit the USC'S and Miami's at the time when striving for the same players.

End of the program. I said it when Callahan was hired. There is no way to outrecruit the USC'S and Miami's at the time when striving for the same players.
So was Nebraska inevitably done for then, due to the shift in college football? Because the military schools are the only ones left still running the option, it appears that ship has sailed. Nebraska wasn't the only run-heavy school out there at the turn of the millennium, plenty of other schools were able to successfully pivot. The only current top-25 program out there that I'd consider "run-heavy" is Wisconsin. So if you're saying the only way for Nebraska to be successful again is to be like Wisconsin... well... fair enough, but I don't want to believe that.

With Texas down and Nebraska and aTm gone, OU has had an excellent opportunity to snag talent locally from B12 country. Nebraska on the other hand has moved to a deeper conference and is removed geographically from the B1G's prime recruiting grounds.

The B1G West > B12 North, and that tells a lot of the story IMO.

Couple the above with the fact that nearly every college football program is about 1-2 bad hires from dire straights, and you have the predicament Nebraska finds itself in.

If anyone can overcome it though, Frost can. He needs to quit throwing his players under the bus, but he'll get it turned within 2 years, certainly to the point of competing for a B1G West title in late November.

So was Nebraska inevitably done for then, due to the shift in college football? Because the military schools are the only ones left still running the option, it appears that ship has sailed. Nebraska wasn't the only run-heavy school out there at the turn of the millennium, plenty of other schools were able to successfully pivot. The only current top-25 program out there that I'd consider "run-heavy" is Wisconsin. So if you're saying the only way for Nebraska to be successful again is to be like Wisconsin... well... fair enough, but I don't want to believe that.

I just felt like Nebraska did it their own way, which is why I've lived 10 minutes from Knoxville, Tennessee,my whole life and I've been a Nebraska fan since I was 8. I started going to bowl games when I was able to drive and probably went to 15 to 20 in a row because I love watching what they did. When Solich left, they could have went after Paul Johnson, and he could have kept things close to the same as giving Nebraska a true identity. People on here will say stupid stuff like the new athletes don't like that system and you can't recruit to that system, but Georgia Tech had a lot of really good years with way way less talent than Nebraska could have had with him coaching. Nebraska has a severe recruiting disadvantage, and they need a way to be different. If anyone here thinks Nebraska will EVER out-recruit Ohio State or even get close, then I can't help them.

Some of you are probably too young to remember this but Oklahoma had a 9 year drop off when Barry Switzer left in 1988. Oklahoma got to be pretty bad during that time until Bob Stoops arrived in 1996.

So the real question should be "Why did Oklahoma have only a 9 year drop off while Nebraska has had a 20 or so year drop off?"

The main answer is coaching. At pretty much any school it takes elite coaching to keep a team at the top over a long period of time. To some of you, Alabama has always been an upper echelon team. Heck, even when Bear Bryant was their coach they had some bad years. Once Bear Bryant left, Alabama was pretty up and down until Nick Saban arrived.

I remember thinking that Pete Carroll and USC was going to be the dynasty forever but once Carroll left, they have been mostly mediocre.

Nebraska may have a little tougher job because of distance from talent pools but elite coaching is the main issue.
Stoops became head coach in 1999 and won NC in year 2. John Blake brought in some good recruits

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT