ADVERTISEMENT

Did you see the 1971 OU Game live or on TV?

On VHS with my dad. Born in 83 so didn’t have the privilege of watching live. Probably watched it in mid 90s.

I was born three months after the game was played. Only saw the whole game when I bought a VHS copy of it at Nebraska Bookstore as a UNL student.

I watched when I was 6
I knew there was turkey, and alot of red on the tv, and lyle was on

I saw the game on youtube many years later as I was only a year old at the time of the game.

Wow I guess you all had money back then not a dirt poor farmer 😉 seriously wasn’t a color tv about a grand in 1971?
My father was a TV repair man and worked for Western Electric..
And no I don’t believe a color TV was a grand..

Watched in on tv in McCook… was there playing in the NJJC preseason hoops tourney for York( scored 14, we won)… lost Friday, Saturday morning, went to breakfast on Saturday morning at a mccook and there he was, in his letter jacket …. Jeff Kinney. Even though he was only 2 years older I stammered like a school girl… nice game😂

On TV. I was 9. My father picked me up and threw me up into the ceiling after JR's punt return. The resulting brain damage was worth it. F'ing hillbillies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baxter48
It was on TV and the first Nebraska game I ever watched with my dad. I remember him commenting about us, meaning the Cornhuskers going to have more than we could handle in the coming years with Oklahoma if they weren't careful. For the next several years he nailed that prediction.

I watched it on a Curtis Mathis color tv at my grandmas, were all screaming and cheering, even if we were in Iowa!

"In the early 1970s a good, 21-inch console color television might cost you $500. In today's money that would be around $3300. A good tabletop set might be $350, or about $2200 today."
Watched it at my sisters house in Omaha. She had a color TV. What a thrill for a 17 year old Husker fan. I will never forget it.
Well shit, that basically means my sister must have been up to some late night shenanigans to get the cash for that color TV. Or her boyfriend really really really liked her. Cause on her salary at the time, ain’t no way she could have afforded that big tubed beauty. Apparently Johnny the Jet wasn’t the only one who tore someone out of their clothes that day.

I was in the stands, in the front row, on about the 10 yard line corner where JR finished his punt return. Oddly, one of my main memories is watching our DE sticking to his assignment to ignore the middle and drift outside to make sure no one would run around the corner.

I was 7 years old and in 1st grade living in Omaha, I remember we were the last family on the block not to have a color tv but my dad went and bought an admiral color tv the week before so we would have it for the game. As a 1st grader that fall of 1971 the buildup to that game was non stop and I was to young to really understand but talk of the oklahoma game was everywhere. I had never watched a college game from start to finish but this game grabbed hold of you and wouldnt let go it was a surreal experience.

Yes Saw it And then me and family went to Orange bowl to see them castrate the Itlian Stalian
Made a $5 bet with Auburn grad who never paid

Living in SC at time My asshole boss said we only won on OK fumbles

Next yeadr at ND friend's dinner party maybe 10 or so of us, made fools of Norre Dame, remember J Rodgers throw pass. His young boys both crying at the beating we gave them. Loved it, every minute of it. Ass hole had a felt picture of MLK hanging on wall, him and another friend laughing and making fun of it. i said it wasSC

Yes Saw it And then me and family went to Orange bowl to see them castrate the Itlian Stalian
Made a $5 bet with Auburn grad who never paid

Living in SC at time My asshole boss said we only won on OK fumbles

Next yeadr at ND friend's dinner party maybe 10 or so of us, made fools of Norre Dame, remember J Rodgers throw pass. His young boys both crying at the beating we gave them. Loved it, every minute of it. Ass hole had a felt picture of MLK hanging on wall, him and another friend laughing and making fun of it. i said it wasSC
Johnny Musso!

ADVERTISEMENT