Did we watch the death of a pro sport this year (nba) ?

Cash68847

Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2017
The ratings are lower than when the games were recorded And played on tape delay
There is another thread about this. It’s a weird year. Aren’t all sports ratings down for the most part? When things get back to normal their numbers will go back up. No one is taking playing in the bubble seriously.

Last edited:

Bobfather

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 6, 2002
Nah, ratings for sports have been super weird this year. Next year they’ll bump up and be a little lower than 2019. 2022 everything will be back to normal in the sports world with ratings
Sorry it hasn't hurt golf whoops probably should not of said that as the commie anarchist on the board will go fire up a blm protest to make those golfers kneel and kiss their shoes.

ScarletNCream

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2007
Sorry it hasn't hurt golf whoops probably should not of said that as the commie anarchist on the board will go fire up a blm protest to make those golfers kneel and kiss their shoes.

Because everyone that watches golf sits at home and is retired, Covid hasn’t changed their routine at all.

lol if you think the political stuff has had any rating impact on professional sports at all you’re a slice of bread short of a sandwich

joshuahuskers

Graduate Assistant
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2017
DFW
NBA is about the only sport Gen Zers care about. Millennials and older dominate ratings demographics right now, but wait ten years. NBA will be way better off. NFL and especially MLB will lose viewership.

bootleg11

College Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2011
Weird year, not sure we can count this one. I do think the NBA has its issues. #1 being their best player keeps moving teams. But I don’t think this year is a good year to compare.

Brasky_Pants

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2014
Most sports aren’t as exciting and fun to watch without fans. It’s sterile and weird. Sports are a shared experience that elicits an emotional response when you see the electricity even when you aren’t a firsthand participant. Golf doesn’t have that issue. It feels the same. I truly believe it’s as simple as that.

Nebraska Power

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Birmingham, AL
NHL down about 70% - not a fooking peep from the dogwhistlers.

Serious question. Why wouldn’t you think the ratings would be down with so many NBA players going after Trump supporters and turning the game so political? Even if you agree with the players, in all reality it only makes sense this would hurt ratings. Whether you think it should or not. I know this would never happen but let’s say NBA players and coaches came out all for the NRA. And they said the same things about Biden. You don’t think this would make your side turn it off? The left has more than shown they will boycott and bully those they don’t agree with. You don’t think the right capable of that.

Take your own political views out of this and just look at it in a real world sense. You really don’t think having strong political Opinions in this day and age isn’t costing them viewers?

Nebraska Power

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Birmingham, AL
No, we didn't. But your dogwhistle/racist post shows what you are.
Most sports aren’t as exciting and fun to watch without fans. It’s sterile and weird. Sports are a shared experience that elicits an emotional response when you see the electricity even when you aren’t a firsthand participant. Golf doesn’t have that issue. It feels the same. I truly believe it’s as simple as that.

Serious question. Why wouldn’t you think the ratings would be down with so many NBA players going after Trump supporters and turning the game so political? Even if you agree with the players, in all reality it only makes sense this would hurt ratings. Whether you think it should or not. I know this would never happen but let’s say NBA players and coaches came out all for the NRA. And they said the same things about Biden. You don’t think this would make the other side turn it off? The left has more than shown they will boycott and bully those they don’t agree with. You don’t think the right capable of that.

Take your own political views out of this and just look at it in a real world sense. You really don’t think having strong political Opinions in this day and age isn’t costing them viewers? We are told Trump has a cult like following that does whatever he says but yet they are incapable of listening to him on not watching the NBA?

Pro_V_DMB

Senior
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2017
Sounds like Silver is going to try and steer away from the social issues next year. No messages on court, no messages on player jerseys, and standing for the anthem. Smart

Reactions: dee_s3 and BigCL24

Brasky_Pants

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2014
Serious question. Why wouldn’t you think the ratings would be down with so many NBA players going after Trump supporters and turning the game so political? Even if you agree with the players, in all reality it only makes sense this would hurt ratings. Whether you think it should or not. I know this would never happen but let’s say NBA players and coaches came out all for the NRA. And they said the same things about Biden. You don’t think this would make the other side turn it off? The left has more than shown they will boycott and bully those they don’t agree with. You don’t think the right capable of that.

Take your own political views out of this and just look at it in a real world sense. You really don’t think having strong political Opinions in this day and age isn’t costing them viewers? We are told Trump has a cult like following that does whatever he says but yet they are incapable of listening to him on not watching the NBA?
Maybe it has some impact on viewership this year in combination with the things I mentioned, but the question was whether that decrease is permanent and NBA dying. The answer is no. People have short attention spans and will either get used to it or forgot why they were boycotting, just like with all the rednecks calling for boycotting the NFL for kneeling a few years ago.

huskerj12

Head Coach
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2007
I wrote this last time the topic came up:

I'm a young folk and I consider myself an NBA fan and I support their political statements and I still haven't watched many games in the bubble. The game has changed SO drastically over the last several years in a direction I don't find entertaining (and my favorite team has been terrible) so I'm definitely in an NBA lull right now. Players changing teams constantly doesn't help at all either.

I have no doubt part of the viewership problems are related to politics though. I respect that the players genuinely want to raise awareness and I think some of their initiatives they've come up with are going to create serious positive change, but having Black Lives Matter on the court and phrases on their jerseys and stuff feels kind of performative in my opinion. I believe in athletes' right to protest and having more control over their voices and values and dedicating their performance to causes bigger than the game, but even as a dreaded liberal I still would rather simply enjoy and appreciate their insane athletic abilities when it's time for the actual sport to be played. I know many of the players would say that just distracts from the more important issues, I personally think it actually enhances their voices and causes but they're the ones putting it all on the line every day so I'm not gonna stomp my feet about it.

tman_87

Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2010
Serious question. Why wouldn’t you think the ratings would be down with so many NBA players going after Trump supporters and turning the game so political? Even if you agree with the players, in all reality it only makes sense this would hurt ratings. Whether you think it should or not. I know this would never happen but let’s say NBA players and coaches came out all for the NRA. And they said the same things about Biden. You don’t think this would make your side turn it off? The left has more than shown they will boycott and bully those they don’t agree with. You don’t think the right capable of that.

Take your own political views out of this and just look at it in a real world sense. You really don’t think having strong political Opinions in this day and age isn’t costing them viewers?

These type of posts only come up for a Pro sports league that is a majority of POC players. Not even a small secret why.... except for those who dogwhistle about it all the time. Post after post about gloating that the NBA is "down". In a time where everything is down. It is really telling when one particular league is chosen for these types of posts. Sorry you are ruffled about the truth.

Reactions: nelsonj22

dee_s3

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2008
These type of posts only come up for a Pro sports league that is a majority of POC players. Not even a small secret why.... except for those who dogwhistle about it all the time. Post after post about gloating that the NBA is "down". In a time where everything is down. It is really telling when one particular league is chosen for these types of posts. Sorry you are ruffled about the truth.
The truth? Actually a ton of shows are thriving. You are just butt hurt nobody wants to hear the opinions of over privileged millionaires supporting criminals, with their sweat shops making them millions. Save your garbage racist whistle blowing comments for the dumb head figure of the league. You fail to realize the league has upended, when all the great players Shaq,Kobe, Duncan ect ect have retired. You have a racist idiot running the league into the ground.

You can tell you're one of those Lebron is the GOAT. The dude can't stop crying. He flops more than a fish. He wants to support criminals, but can't say nothing about China, oh no! Whatever happened with his fake racist crime in his millionaire neighborhood(all the cameras were broke) you're a joke. Even the white people he lives around cameras were broke too? He couldn't lick the sweat off MJ balls. Look it up, since 2012 there has been a decline.

There are a multitude of reasons the NBA is doing poorly. First, you have a complete clown as the face of the NBA. Second, super teams have killed the playoffs because realistically only a slight few have a chance. Third, the play has became soft with no defense. This isn't in just the NBA, but society and other sports. You keep your crap up with the POC, but they have a few white players that are actually playing quite well and it still doesn't matter. Fourth, people do not want politics in sports. I don't want to hear someone that isn't very intelligent divide a country(Lebron).

Reactions: IowaHuskerFan3

BigCL24

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 28, 2016
I wrote this last time the topic came up:

I'm a young folk and I consider myself an NBA fan and I support their political statements and I still haven't watched many games in the bubble. The game has changed SO drastically over the last several years in a direction I don't find entertaining (and my favorite team has been terrible) so I'm definitely in an NBA lull right now. Players changing teams constantly doesn't help at all either.

I have no doubt part of the viewership problems are related to politics though. I respect that the players genuinely want to raise awareness and I think some of their initiatives they've come up with are going to create serious positive change, but having Black Lives Matter on the court and phrases on their jerseys and stuff feels kind of performative in my opinion. I believe in athletes' right to protest and having more control over their voices and values and dedicating their performance to causes bigger than the game, but even as a dreaded liberal I still would rather simply enjoy and appreciate their insane athletic abilities when it's time for the actual sport to be played. I know many of the players would say that just distracts from the more important issues, I personally think it actually enhances their voices and causes but they're the ones putting it all on the line every day so I'm not gonna stomp my feet about it.
great post

Reactions: dee_s3

jbt25

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2010
Because everyone that watches golf sits at home and is retired, Covid hasn’t changed their routine at all.

lol if you think the political stuff has had any rating impact on professional sports at all you’re a slice of bread short of a sandwich

I disagree you don’t understand the American public if you think that it’s no impact I’m not saying it’s the complete cause for reading decline we know there is multiple factors but one of the factors is people are tired of the left-wing inserting their politics it’s always that side that does it in the sports were tired of it and there’s tons of people like me so long start giving me your elitist view from 40,000 feet you’re just wrong. Especially when there’s a false narrative the cops are killing all black people and they can’t wait to shoe when that kind of stuff goes on and we’re trying to get rid of the police there’s a major problem in our society and even you should know that we don’t need this in our sports

Reactions: 1160 and dee_s3

Nebraska Power

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Birmingham, AL

So you didn’t answer my question. You really don’t see why ratings would be down? Like I said, take the politics out of it. It is similar to liberal groups boycotting certain stores. Of course sales are going to be down. You can stick that dog whistle up your rear. I didn’t even mention race so back off on what you are insinuating. You know nothing about me. And race has nothing to do with what I am talking about. And yes, I do get ruffled when someone basically calls me a racist because they are losing an argument and need a way out.

I also don’t agree with boycotting the NBA for political purpose. I want the best athletes, chef, mechanic, actor or anyone else. I don’t care what their politics are. I was on here defending KC right to kneel, and any other NFL player. The NFL is my favorite sport to watch and I am not going to quit because of protest.

I just find it laughable that people won’t admit that when a large majority of people call for a boycott it isn’t going to effect ratings. And and once again I don’t believe in boycotting for political reasons. I wonder if you feel the same about a store that would actively support Trump?

Last edited:

Nebraska Power

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Maybe it has some impact on viewership this year in combination with the things I mentioned, but the question was whether that decrease is permanent and NBA dying. The answer is no. People have short attention spans and will either get used to it or forgot why they were boycotting, just like with all the rednecks calling for boycotting the NFL for kneeling a few years ago.

No one is boycotting the NFL, I said it at the time and will say it again. I agree there are other factors with the NBA, but people who act like the politics isn’t a factor are fooling themselves. Just like a store would face decreased sales if it actively supported Trump. I don’t like it but it is the world we live in now. The mantra of freedom of speech but not freedom from consequences has people using economics with people they don’t agree wit politically. And I hate it from both sides. And i was on here standing up for players right to kneel during the NA. And said the boycott was a bad idea. When we start punishing people for political views, it may be legal, but I don’t think it is good for the country.

tman_87

Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2010
Typical dogwhistle drivel responses continued in this thread for the most part I see... some with actual punctuation and paragraphs though! Props to the ones who aren't too lazy to actually type out their thoughts in good enough form to understand, even if the thoughts may have a whistling sound to them.

Reactions: tb233 and dee_s3

dee_s3

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2008
Typical dogwhistle drivel responses continued in this thread for the most part I see... some with actual punctuation and paragraphs though! Props to the ones who aren't too lazy to actually type out their thoughts in good enough form to understand, even if the thoughts may have a whistling sound to them.
This your classic crap! Its good to see people that run their mouth and try to destroy the United States get theirs. I heard cry me a river ESPN is laying off hundreds, maybe they should have stuck to sports also. The sad thing is the people causing all the division won't be fired at ESPN.

You never bring a good argument and everything else is just lame responses. Lebrenda James is a bvtch, but you can't tell me why he isn't. Do you know the average viewership when MJ was playing? The average was 30-35 million, when the real GOAT played and he would of never failed the NBA like Leclown James.

You can run your mouth all you like, but the crowd has spoken. When you lose 70% of your viewership, you have serious issues. Playing a kids game for millions is a privilege. When you are supposed to be role models, you don't lie about social issues or program kids that they can't succeed. Like that father of four addressed Lebron and told him,"you don't speak for me!"

Athletes, actors, and Hollywood play too much of a role in society for the worse nowadays. You talk about dog whistling, but what do you call what Lelame is doing? I bet you were okay with the cops getting shot and James saying "no comment," when he can't shut the F up any other time.

Its a new day and the NBA won't survive off 30% viewership.

Reactions: BigCL24

tman_87

Head Coach
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2010
This your classic crap! Its good to see people that run their mouth and try to destroy the United States get theirs. I heard cry me a river ESPN is laying off hundreds, maybe they should have stuck to sports also. The sad thing is the people causing all the division won't be fired at ESPN.

You never bring a good argument and everything else is just lame responses. Lebrenda James is a bvtch, but you can't tell me why he isn't. Do you know the average viewership when MJ was playing? The average was 30-35 million, when the real GOAT played and he would of never failed the NBA like Leclown James.

You can run your mouth all you like, but the crowd has spoken. When you lose 70% of your viewership, you have serious issues. Playing a kids game for millions is a privilege. When you are supposed to be role models, you don't lie about social issues or program kids that they can't succeed. Like that father of four addressed Lebron and told him,"you don't speak for me!"

Athletes, actors, and Hollywood play too much of a role in society for the worse nowadays. You talk about dog whistling, but what do you call what Lelame is doing? I bet you were okay with the cops getting shot and James saying "no comment," when he can't shut the F up any other time.

Its a new day and the NBA won't survive off 30% viewership.

I'm not picking on you personally, but it is clear you have mad hate for a pro sports player, who has overall done a TON of great things for people off the court, than is warranted. And also for the mostly minority league that guy plays in. People are hating on a guy who plays pro sports, as if HE is responsible for things that - and this is really telling - that only someone like the POTUS should be able to influence or do something about (Like the china drivel and blaming Lebron for whatever china is or isn't doing, although blind haters will hate basically anything NBA/Lebron, and it isn't for any other reason than what I have been saying for a while now).

That's enough response, but I can guarantee you I will still call out BS when I see it, and man have the Der Leader Cultists been spewing mad BS for far too long. JUST like Der Cult Leader does.

Also - your entire post was one giant DOG WHISTLE. Stop it, man.

Reactions: nelsonj22

dee_s3

First Team All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm not picking on you personally, but it is clear you have mad hate for a pro sports player, who has overall done a TON of great things for people off the court, than is warranted. And also for the mostly minority league that guy plays in. People are hating on a guy who plays pro sports, as if HE is responsible for things that - and this is really telling - that only someone like the POTUS should be able to influence or do something about (Like the china drivel and blaming Lebron for whatever china is or isn't doing, although blind haters will hate basically anything NBA/Lebron, and it isn't for any other reason than what I have been saying for a while now).

That's enough response, but I can guarantee you I will still call out BS when I see it, and man have the Der Leader Cultists been spewing mad BS for far too long. JUST like Der Cult Leader does.

Also - your entire post was one giant DOG WHISTLE. Stop it, man.
So, can you explain the "fake" racial crime that he reported? I'm not worried about his color because its his character that is a failure. I guess if David Duke built a school it would be a great thing too.

Reactions: BigCL24

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
damn I remain impressed by more and more scrollers, the red pill is real

lee_carvallo_12

Jan 10, 2010
Colossal Cornhusker
i stopped watching the NBA because i no longer like the product. the constant political/social statement pushing doesn't help, but they had lost me long before that.

it makes me ask myself if DONU football started pushing political and social statements, replacing the names on the back of the jerseys with "say her name" and "black lives matter," would i stop watching? no, because i like the product (even the shit, watered down product we've had for 20 years). would i appreciate the statements they're trying to make? no, because that shit is stupid AF.

BigCL24

Gold Member
May 28, 2016
the ratings for the "Last Dance" show that people remain interested in hoops, I just think there is a turn off to this particular group of players at this particular point in time + the style changes people have discussed

Latest posts