ADVERTISEMENT

Did the sports media blow to much sunshine

Baxter48

Defensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2010
Gods country
my question is did the local sports media blow smoke up our ass about the talent on this team? Remember the oline is are the same except farniok the defense has a lot of the same players that went 4-8,so did we all have unrealistic expectations for this team? I remember shatel had a article we have the talent to go 8-4 9-3, coming back down to earth I'd say not even close. I'm behind the coaches 100% it's going to take a couple of recruiting classes to get the talent we need. I hope the coaches do go with a youth movement once we're definitely out of a bowl bench a lot or most the seniors except for Gifford cuz there not going to help next year

The talent level on this team is not good. They ran for 300+ last week and got some sacks and suddenly everyone wanted to start crowning all-americans. They have some fast kids at skill positions, some nice DL, and honestly that's about it. LBs still have to prove themselves, OL is bad, DBs are just ok, QB is Martinez and nobody else.

They're gonna need every one of those 25-ish scholarships for the coming class. It's been a depleted team for years now and that didn't change just because they squat more now.

my question is did the local sports media blow smoke up our ass about the talent on this team? Remember the oline is are the same except farniok the defense has a lot of the same players that went 4-8,so did we all have unrealistic expectations for this team? I remember shatel had a article we have the talent to go 8-4 9-3, coming back down to earth I'd say not even close. I'm behind the coaches 100% it's going to take a couple of recruiting classes to get the talent we need. I hope the coaches do go with a youth movement once we're definitely out of a bowl bench a lot or most the seniors except for Gifford cuz there not going to help next year
Even if you are more talented, you cannot turn the ball over 3 times, give up PR for touchdowns and commit penalties that keep drives alive. We have done these things in two games and lost even though statistically we have out gained both teams substantially.

A lot of people are fixated on the fact they have signed top 25 classes per the rivals ratings and I feel they automatically correlate that to this team having plenty of talent. I have repeatedly said this team isn't that talented. Look at the last 3 drafts and likely this year's, too .

Reactions: SoFL Husker
Even if you are more talented, you cannot turn the ball over 3 times, give up PR for touchdowns and commit penalties that keep drives alive. We have done these things in two games and lost even though statistically we have out gained both teams substantially.
Everyone remember kst or Kansas in their bad year they made stupid sill mistake just like we're do, we need to understand we're not a good team not even average, I know someone is going to mention deveney well he had talent and he had players hunger tired of losing, I sometimes wonder if some of these players really care

yes, that happened every year in the 70's and 80's and people would get hyped up with exaggerated expectations, then bellyache horrendously about how BD would coach better than TO, and TO almost left. Kind of like the local media and fans, today. Come to think of it, the national media, also.

A lot of people are fixated on the fact they have signed top 25 classes per the rivals ratings and I feel they automatically correlate that to this team having plenty of talent. I have repeatedly said this team isn't that talented. Look at the last 3 drafts and likely this year's, too .
People fail to realize they haven't KEPT those players from their top-25 classes. The attrition on this team has been high, especially at the top. Those guys have quit and they're being replaced with walk-ons.

NU's talent level is about on par with teams like Pudue, IU and Northwestern right now.

People fail to realize they haven't KEPT those players from their top-25 classes. The attrition on this team has been high, especially at the top. Those guys have quit and they're being replaced with walk-ons.

NU's talent level is about on par with teams like Pudue, IU and Northwestern right now.
Agreed. But for me, I wonder if this talent issue is more of a player development issue, or the consistent overstating of talent on paper.

Yes, just as they did in 2017, 16, 15, 14, all the way back to when the conference change was made. By their account we have always had the best players, best coaches, best facilities...and then we don’t.

Let's see Alabama playing their 3rd string quaterback and I'm sure plenty of their idiot fans would be calling for Saban's head on a platter... People just need to deal with reality. We're going to be FINE.

Yes. Everyone, including myself, expected the same roster to perform magic tricks in the weight room and become a competitive football team.

I am not sure what happens from here. I watch a lot of football and bet a lot of football, and I see many teams that look superior to this Nebraska team after today's performance.

Boise got shellacked today by Okie Lite. Colorado has some nice skill position players but I am thinking their defense and OL is suspect against good teams.

We might still suck, is my point. Especially without Martinez at QB.

Reactions: cecilB

Morgan doesn't display a lot of top-end speed. The OL looked horrible today, just bad. Sigh

Let's see Alabama playing their 3rd string quaterback and I'm sure plenty of their idiot fans would be calling for Saban's head on a platter... People just need to deal with reality. We're going to be FINE.

We r playing our 2nd string QB - not our 3rd

Alabama would beat the majority of teams in college football by 14 plus with their 3rd string qb. They are Nebraska of the 90s right now....

We r playing our 2nd string QB - not our 3rd
You know what is meant: Bunch was not prepped through fall camp to be the #2 QB, he was prepped to be the #3 QB. After the first scrimmage, two guys got all of the time with the top offensive units, and Bunch wasn't one of them. Yes, Bunch is second on the depth chart. We don't need to rehash the blame game in Gebbia's departure, but don't play dumb, either.

Reactions: Can o' corn
Alabama would beat the majority of teams in college football by 14 plus with their 3rd string qb. They are Nebraska of the 90s right now....

Would probably be a little more appropriate and timely to say we were the Alabama of the 2010s right now, but carry on.

Reactions: Can o' corn
You know what is meant: Bunch was not prepped through fall camp to be the #2 QB, he was prepped to be the #3 QB. After the first scrimmage, two guys got all of the time with the top offensive units, and Bunch wasn't one of them. Yes, Bunch is second on the depth chart. We don't need to rehash the blame game in Gebbia's departure, but don't play dumb, either.

Alabama was brought up in this context - so I think it is fair to point out that Alabama handled their QB room to ensure that if the starter got injured they wouldn’t be stuck with #3

Reactions: cecilB
Anytime Ive seen a Nebraska journalist not pump the sunshine, there is a thread here about what an idiot they are...

I'm sure it will be fine in a couple of years. However, coaching is why we are 0-2. Plain and simple.

Simply put, yes. Hype train gets going way to fast instead of waiting for things to play out and then anointing the second coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT