ADVERTISEMENT

Did Nebraska make a mistake firing Bo Pelini?

Nope.

Evidence;

-Was on his way to getting fired as head coach at YSU, so left for LSU.

-Got fired in less than a season at LSU

- Currently coaching nowhere

If he was a coach worthy of running a P5 program, he'd have better than the above resume since leaving here. Programs are constantly looking for quality coaches.

absolutely not, it was his time.

grateful for the handful of fun wins under Pelini, but the game passed him by and he didn't know how to adapt.

Reactions: dpnavy
Yes it was a mistake, but not because Bo was a great coach and did not deserve to be fired. He was an average coach, very arrogant, and a jerk. However, our mistake, as with Solich, was firing a coach who never had a losing season and who averaged nine wins a game. Try getting another coach to come in here when the bar is set that high at a place like Nebraska where there are recruiting disadvantages.

We should have waited until Pelini had two or three years in a row of 6-6 or 5-7 teams. And in my opinion that would have happened eventually.

By the end of Pelini's time here, we were an unranked team getting 9 wins against weak opponents, getting blown out by unspectacular teams like Wisconsin, and the program was clearly trending downward. It was better than what we've had for the last 8 years but keeping Pelini would have been settling for perennial mediocrity.

Yes it was a mistake, but not because Bo was a great coach and did not deserve to be fired. He was an average coach, very arrogant, and a jerk. However, our mistake, as with Solich, was firing a coach who never has been dichad a losing season and who averaged nine wins a game. Try getting another coach to come in here when the bar is set that high at a place like Nebraska where there are recruiting disadvantages.

We should have waited until Pelini had two or three years in a row of 6-6 or 5-7 teams. And in my opinion that would have happened eventually.
I wish we wouldn’t feed brand new posters that like to bring up stuff that‘s been discussed a half a dozen times..

Yes it was a mistake, but not because Bo was a great coach and did not deserve to be fired. He was an average coach, very arrogant, and a jerk. However, our mistake, as with Solich, was firing a coach who never had a losing season and who averaged nine wins a game. Try getting another coach to come in here when the bar is set that high at a place like Nebraska where there are recruiting disadvantages.

Literally the best answer about it...

T

Maybe. However the west division is so weak, even in his worst years would probably still win 7-8 games per year.

Oh for sure. Just look at his successes ever since! We could only pray we could have a coach like him, who everyone in the country is trying to pry away from his current position, to coach their team.

Dave Aranda was the defensive coordinator for the LSU Tigers during the 2019 national championship season when the Tigers went 15-0.

and he thinks burrow was pretty good.

Pelini left the administration with no other choice but to fire him. He was practically daring/begging for it at the end.

Bottom line: Pelini would probably still be HC at Nebraska if he could have handled the pressure. His firing was of his own doing.
Not exactly. I think Eichorst was brought in specifically for the purpose of firing Pelini. Most likely, Pelini would have been fired that year, unless he win the B1G and made the playoffs.

Pretty good take on a troll thread. Cant say I'd disagree in hind sight.

My take on this has always been, if you fire Pelini, you better well find a more sure thing than taking a chance on a .500 lifer coach.

There are no mistakes, only experiences. Now bring it in for a group hug everyone.

Reactions: zrob
Only washed up alcoholic super-dorks still pine for a clown who admitted he didn’t want to be here the last few years (doing a horrible disservice to players while doing so), put in for every job that came open, allowed NCAA rushing records in 3 quarters of a game, while having the audacity to say “I haven’t forgot how to coach against a run game”, after getting throttled year after year by running teams when they run about 4 plays a game against the dynamic defenses the defensive guru ran out there

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
By the end of Pelini's time here, we were an unranked team getting 9 wins against weak opponents, getting blown out by unspectacular teams like Wisconsin, and the program was clearly trending downward. It was better than what we've had for the last 8 years but keeping Pelini would have been settling for perennial mediocrity.
Pelini got fired for a lot of the same reasons that Solich got fired, because it was thought that we're all that and we should always be Nebraska circa 1995.

Solich's record in first 6 years - 59-19 (75.6%), 1 conference championship, 1 natty game.

Pelini's record in first 6 years - 57-24 (70.4%), 0 conference championships, 3 CCGs.

Osborne's record in first 6 years - 55-16-2 (76.7%), 0 outright conference championships. 1 if you include head to head as a tiebreaker.

Devaney's record in the first 6 years - 53-10 (84.1%), 2-4 against OU.

I think it's fair to argue that Solich and Pelini coached this team in a far more competitive environment than Osborne and Devaney. Osborne and Devaney usually played a 3 or 4 game non-conference schedule that was pretty easy (never more than 1 good team on the schedule) and for all intents and purposes had Gimmie wins against KU, KSU, and Colorado almost every year and almost 1/2 of the time against OSU, MU, and ISU.

The thing that haunts me is that I remember the end of year 6 for both Solich and Osborne. The media and some fans were saying the exact same things about both of these coaches, that they can't win the big one, that they let the program go to hell when we were on top, bla, bla, bla.

It is arguable that at the end of 2003 when we had a convincing win to end the season against a pretty good Colorado team then completely shut down Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl, the Nebraska Football program was better positioned for the future than at the end of 1977, when we got blasted by OU in the last game of the regular season and then limped by Texas Tech in the freaking Astro Blue Bonnet Bowl.

We had some really good players on the 2004 roster coming back for the system Solich was running. Callahan ripped that apart and the rest is history.

The difference was that Devaney was savvy enough to understand that Nebraska had to do things differently than other places to be even good, if not dominant. Steve Peterson, on the other hand, was delusional enough to believe that he could make Nebraska USC east overnight.

Just food for thought, the only coaches who have had success here since Devaney were the coaches hired by either Devaney or Osborne.

Considering that Pelini has been fired from 2 more coaching jobs since then and is currently unemployed, no, Nebraska didn’t make a mistake.

Though his on paper record was good, he was an embarrassment in every big game. His behavior was out of control. He also was a lazy recruiter.

And still able to win 9 out of 12 games and 4-1 against our rival and one loss with back up QBs.

Last edited:
No. Only in hiring Riley to replace him.
This has been the primary problem since 2003. I supported firing both Solich and Pelini. They both needed to go.

The mistake was in hiring their replacements. Bill Callahan and Mike Riley, both West Coast guys that wanted to run a West Coast style offense in Lincoln, both set the program back immensely.

This has been the primary problem since 2003. I supported firing both Solich and Pelini. They both needed to go.

The mistake was in hiring their replacements. Bill Callahan and Mike Riley, both West Coast guys that wanted to run a West Coast style offense in Lincoln, both set the program back immensely.

I didn't support the firing of either of those 2 coaches.

I'd rather demand they made changes..

They both crippled this program.

And now with the changing attitude in sports. Yall cam forget winning NCs fir a while if ever again.

Urban wouldn't even be able to that here.

Reactions: zrob
ADVERTISEMENT