ADVERTISEMENT

Did Frost call plays yesterday?

BugsAreQualityProtein

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
Seemed to be more of a collaborative effort between Frost and Whipple given both had play sheets in their hands. I’d have to say it looked more like Frost’s offense in the second half given the amount of run plays called. Honestly I don’t care who’s offense it is, won’t matter anyway with how soft the OL plays.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Sure seemed like it. Very pass heavy offense the first 3 halves and then ground and pound with option mixed in yest in the 2h.

I also have a theory that CT reinjured his hand some time against NW. Velocity down, ball wobbles. Didn't see that in the 1h vs NW and have seen it every half since.

Sure seemed like it. Very pass heavy offense the first 3 halves and then ground and pound with option mixed in yest in the 2h.

I also have a theory that CT reinjured his hand some time against NW. Velocity down, ball wobbles. Didn't see that in the 1h vs NW and have seen it every half since.
I’m interested to see if Casey will start the entire season or if they’ll give Purdy a chance at some point.

I think the real question is what went down between frost and whipple at the half and after the game? Can the two co-exist and work togethe or did Frost just neuter his OC after 3 halves of football? If there’s division in the staff, then any hope of salvaging the season (no matter how small) is done

I think the real question is what went down between frost and whipple at the half and after the game? Can the two co-exist and work togethe or did Frost just neuter his OC after 3 halves of football? If there’s division in the staff, then any hope of salvaging the season (no matter how small) is done
Frost when coaching with his homies absolutely sucks

maybe having a mortal enemy in the locker room will bring out the best in him?

Some of those run plays were all Frost.

Speaking of OL, after rewatching game, it doesn't seem as garbage as it did live. There were several plays where it looked like one missed assignment or poor technique. Now I'm not say we're good at it or that I'm any kind of OL expert. But was a little encouraged after rewatching that it can improve.

Frost took the reigns back at halftime. It was clear to me. He's either going to battle his own way out of this mess, or go down with the ship. Whip has been cast aside.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Frost took the reigns back at halftime. It was clear to me. He's either going to battle his own way out of this mess, or go down with the ship. Whip has been cast aside.
If I am Whip, I am so happy.

Two year deal at double what you made before, you were about to retire and now you don't even have to call plays???

Sign me up!

Dude might have hit the lotto.

Yeah but that is not what AD's should be doing...if the AD is dictating who calls plays or shit like that...they either need to get into coaching or hire Mannequin from the hit movie Mannequin to the be the coach.
I agree under normal circumstances. But what if hiring an OC to call plays was one of the factors for giving him another year?

Heard this topic discussed on a podcast. The bottom line is that we’re dysfunctional as ever.
If Frost can’t get through two games without taking over play calls what’s that say about his original plan and his ability to execute said plan?

I’m sure Whipple will be a pro about it all, but man, the vibe is just utter turmoil.

If they win games no one will care, but if they lose as expected then it’s gonna only add to the sh*tshow that’s been transpiring before us for half a decade (current regime only).

With as much optimism as I can muster, I am just not seeing it with this team. OL and entire defense feels like a trainwreck waiting to happen when we face more advanced competition.

Nelson is a man. Grant is a man. CT is solid for me. WR are better than we’ve had. ST is better.
But I see the B1G exposing our defense and pushing us around like nobody’s business. Better teams will whip our OL as well.

Heard this topic discussed on a podcast. The bottom line is that we’re dysfunctional as ever.
If Frost can’t get through two games without taking over play calls what’s that say about his original plan and his ability to execute said plan?

I’m sure Whipple will be a pro about it all, but man, the vibe is just utter turmoil.

If they win games no one will care, but if they lose as expected then it’s gonna only add to the sh*tshow that’s been transpiring before us for half a decade (current regime only).

With as much optimism as I can muster, I am just not seeing it with this team. OL and entire defense feels like a trainwreck waiting to happen when we face more advanced competition.

Nelson is a man. Grant is a man. CT is solid for me. WR are better than we’ve had. ST is better.
But I see the B1G exposing our defense and pushing us around like nobody’s business. Better teams will whip our OL as well.
We'll find out in two weeks.

Reactions: HominidHusker

I thought so too and mentioned in during the 2nd half against NW when he missed that boundary throw by about 5-7 yards.

None of us know what happened but I thought when NU came out for the second half there was a look of desperation.

Reactions: WHCSC
Ball that trey made a great play on for the big gain was a duck.
Heading into the OU game and really only Smothers with any game experience since Chubba was at FSU is living dangerously if CT goes down due to injury or trying to hide a bad thumb/hand.

The way NU's defense been playing, might be a time for OU to hang half a hundred on NU at home.

I just think they have to give Chubba at least 2-3 series during the Ga Southern game. You know if Smothers runs the offense, OU will show them about a 7-8 man front.

I don’t believe Frost and Whipple sharing play calling duties is sustainable. They better get that figured out quickly as OU and the B1G season is quickly approaching.

I think the defense will continue to improve over the season and will keep us at the 28-30 points per game that it's always sort of been.

The question to me is, can the offense score more than that on an average basis?

Right now, that answer is a no.

They have to be able to do it, when they need to, which has been the story all along with Frost's offense.

On the plus side, the staff found out that they could lean on Grant, and that is what they are going to do now, I believe.

That will be good for a few more wins and can actually help this team quite a lot.

When not expecting in, the passing game will be more than just serviceable.. just need to lean on the run game from here on out.

Pleased with the performance of A.J as well.. I would not be surprised if he slides into the #2 spot. Ervin Jr got his chance and wasn't ready, but AJ was.

We can still put together a decent year, but I think they will have to go run first to do it and the offense has to come together a lot more. Saw a bit of this on Saturday, there were moments where Thomson, Williams, Grant and Palmer looked like the group within the group. I liked seeing CT run for the first down too.

I don't believe all is lost yet, but we have to start making big jumps now and come together on both sides of the ball quickly.

Last edited:
I thought the D played ok yesterday. Not great, but ok. Gave up one TD on an 8 yard drive. Gave up a FG because of one bad play (the 63 yard run) and then gave up the TD drive to end the 1h. They have to tackle better, no doubt about that. They have to get a little more sure about their alignments in the secondary.

Should certainly get to the competent level against the Indianas, Illinois, and Iowas of the world.

I think the defense will continue to improve over the season and will keep us at the 28-30 points per game that it's always sort of been.

The question to me is, can the offense score more than that on an average basis?

They have to be able to do it, when they need to, which has been the story all along with Frost's offense.

On the plus side, the staff found out that they could lean on Grant, and that is what they are going to do now, I believe.

That will be good for a few more wins and can actually help this team quite a lot.

When not expecting in, the passing game will be more than just serviceable.. just need to lean on the run game from here on out.

Pleased with the performance of A.J as well.. I would not be surprised if he slides into the #2 spot. Ervin Jr got his chance and wasn't ready, but AJ was.

We can still put together a decent year, but I think they will have to go run first to do it and the offense has to come together a lot more. Saw a bit of this on Saturday, there were moments where Thomson, Williams, Grant and Palmer looked like the group within the group. I liked seeing CT run for the first down too.

I don't believe all is lost yet, but we have to start making big jumps now and come together on both sides of the ball quickly.
I do think it's possible the trip to and from Ireland is going to be less of a factor. Seemed Saturday some of the kids just didn't have much bounce in their step, this week they should be good to go.

As far as NU plays off the ball, it looks to me like Gabriel from OU will carve them up. He has a helluva arm, gets the ball out quick, plus the dude can run too. He might be NU's biggest challenge at QB all season.

If NU is adopting a run the ball theory, and sticks with it, as you say, it does advance the passing game. As a unit, they may have really begun to show some confidence. I'm actually impressed with how well the offense has done, penalty wise. In past years, without looking, I think NU was a 9+ penalty team week after week.

I wouldn't mind if NU came out in desperation mode again on Saturday. Ga Southern is obviously a must win situation. Maybe a really tough game, with NU showing progress in not pissing down their leg will pay dividends as NU gets into the winnable, but presumably tight games ahead like the Purdue, Ind, Minn, Illini, Rutgers and Iowa games.

With NU's really nice punting game, and I do think Bleekrode can be pretty dependable, NU can still manage a decent season IF the defense can start to slow some people down. NU needs both Robinson and Nash to be a factor on the inside. Looks like Wynn and Drew are coming along, and Feist is giving what he's got.

I still want to see Chubba get 2-3 series, especially since Grant is looking like a real man right now. I like AJ a ton, and though it's early, I think the kid is the real deal. Super quick in there, and am waiting to see what happens if this kid bounces it outside. Kudos to Grant!

I think more experience will help the defense, but I'm not convinced they will hold up against run heavy teams, and Nelson and Mathis need to show up against P5 teams to improve the pass defense.
The offense will have to take what they are given. At least Grant and Allen are upgrades over last year. Not sure if CT is injured or gets rattled easily.

I think more experience will help the defense, but I'm not convinced they will hold up against run heavy teams, and Nelson and Mathis need to show up against P5 teams to improve the pass defense.
The offense will have to take what they are given. At least Grant and Allen are upgrades over last year. Not sure if CT is injured or gets rattled easily.
for sure we ran more man coverage saturday and too much zone against NW. Tackling is still an issue with Chins defense, as they teach more hitting, wanting to jar the ball loose than actual tackling. Not a fan of this style of defense personally, but it is what it is. We do better against the run when running man coverage on the back end imo.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3

I had someone tell me that CT hand took a helmet on QB sneak at goalline for TD. I rewatched it on dvr and couldn't tell.

Pregame I thought passes looked crisp

Reactions: dinglefritz
I had someone tell me that CT hand took a helmet on QB sneak at goalline for TD. I rewatched it on dvr and couldn't tell.

Pregame I thought passes looked crisp

He took two pretty good shots in a row in the first half yesterday. Could be something that flares up.

Reactions: 3 n out1
I didn't listen to Frost's post game, and I don't remember what article I read it in, but Frost was asked who called plays in the 2nd half and Frost said he wasn't going to discuss that. For what that's all worth - not much without a link I guess. 😂
Yep. Heard it too.

Yep. Heard it too.
Well he definitely had headset on and play sheet in second half. Also when stupid squib kick was called after every kick into end zone deep. Wasn't an effective squib and that's what pissed off crowd and brought out the boo birds for the 2nd time in the game.....other than student section booing north Dakota in general at the beginning which is a head scratcher

Well he definitely had headset on and play sheet in second half. Also when stupid squib kick was called after every kick into end zone deep. Wasn't an effective squib and that's what pissed off crowd and brought out the boo birds for the 2nd time in the game
Don’t feed this particular troll..

ADVERTISEMENT