ADVERTISEMENT

Diaco

HuskerO

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 11, 2006
Apparently Diaco didn't talk to the local media after the game and now they're all butthurt about it.

I understand when people say it's "part of his job", but he's not the head coach so who cares?

I think it was a mistake. End of the world? Nah. But he should have taken questions.
As much as it pains me to say I agree with guys like Sipple and Barfy on this one. If you are going to preach about ownership and what it means to be a Blackshirt then you must man up and face the media after wins and losses. Part of the job and part of making a huge salary is answering dumb questions from the local media circus.

I think he probably will after he hears all the grief he got from the media. I think he wanted to be with the team but yeah maybe take a quick interview to appease the masses.

The highest paid assistant ever at one of the most intensely followed football programs in the entire country who has been annointed as a "guru" dipped out after his debut performance... not good.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Based on his past with the media, it probably was a good time to pass. Dude can be out there and may have provided more gasoline. He will take a few hits with them but the safer way to go. And who knows, it may not have been his call but Riley's.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
I don't have an issue with it. What is he going to say that would be beneficial to anyone?. I'd rather he stay quiet in the background than potentially go off on someone trying to get a headline by asking a question he knows he won't get an answer to.

Be accountable, answer the questions, do your job. It's not hard to say nothing in one of those, be a big enough grown up to fulfill all of the responsibilities of your position.

So, they are pissed because he said "excuse me" as he walked out of the press box heading to the elevator immediately after an emotional game where his defense didn't play well? Excuse me if I don't feel sorry for those crybabies because they didn't get a quote from him. A bigger story is being made about the fact Diaco didn't talk to them than the fact the defense gave up some big yards. In seeing some of Diaco's prior pressers, I wouldn't want him to speak right after the game either. NU played base defense about 90% of the time Saturday. If Diaco comes out and says that, then people on here would be roasting him for bashing on the players.

He's the highest paid assistant ever at the school, I would think he could fulfill the basic responsibilities of the position without embarrassing the university. We shouldn't have to protect him from himself, he should be mature enough to answer a few questions.

There are things we all hate about our job but they are part of the job so we do them. You can't preach accountability and then not be accountable yourself otherwise you open yourself up to being called a hypocrite which you would be. Is it the end of the world no but you will not endear yourself to Husker fans by acting like a child and not answering 7 minutes worth of questions. IMO Riley should talk to him and tell him he has to do this, if not then Riley has every right to tell the Nebraska press Diaco will not answer questions following a game even though we have told him too. Sounds to me like we have another Bo on our hands.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
There are things we all hate about our job but they are part of the job so we do them. You can't preach accountability and then not be accountable yourself otherwise you open yourself up to being called a hypocrite which you would be. Is it the end of the world no but you will not endear yourself to Husker fans by acting like a child and not answering 7 minutes worth of questions. IMO Riley should talk to him and tell him he has to do this, if not then Riley has every right to tell the Nebraska press Diaco will not answer questions following a game even though we have told him too. Sounds to me like we have another Bo on our hands.
If I'm Riley, I don't want him talking to the media immediately after a game after knowing what kind of press conferences he has had in the past. My guess is Riley told him not to speak to the media after the game.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Piss on the local media! They think they have the right and privilege to have full access 100% of the the time. They don't. They have way to much power around here I hope the athletic department puts them in there place....on the curb! Personally, I hope Diaco tells them to go to hell.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs and kaz36
So when Bo gets emotional and creates a bunker type mentality, that's bad. But now after one game Diaco gets a pass for ignoring his duties and the media has been out to get us the whole time, got it. Makes sense.
Bo was the head coach. Diaco is a coordinator. Big difference. Also, this program under Riley has had anything but a bunker mentality. If anything, he has been criticized for saying too much at times.

Piss on the local media! They think they have the right and privilege to have full access 100% of the the time. They don't. They have way to much power around here I hope the athletic department puts them in there place....on the curb! Personally, I hope Diaco tells them to go to hell.

I understand the hatred toward the media but they have a job to do. I assume you read the sports section or the Husker stories online. You wouldn't get that without them. They provide us Husker fans the "going on's" with practice and the team. Without them you wouldn't get that. Listen there are plenty of reporters or columnists I don't like but I am thankful they have access. I don't understand why you think they have too much power? Like em or don't I really don't care but I enjoy reading up on the going on's with the team and I am thankful we as fans have an athletic department that allows access for the media. I have never heard one media person say they have the right to have full access 100% of the time. That comment is absurd and not factual at all.

You can't preach accountability and then not be accountable yourself otherwise you open yourself up to being called a hypocrite which you would be.
How is Diaco not holding himself accountable? Not speaking to the media isn't being a hypocrite.

I assume you read the sports section or the Husker stories online. You wouldn't get that without them.
And they wouldn't get their info (keep their jobs) without Riley and Co.

Instead of complaining that Diaco wouldn't let them interview him, they should be thanking Riley for as much access as they receive. Riley has been very accommodating and respect towards the local media, but apparently it's not good enough.

Reactions: SOHusker11
And they wouldn't get their info (keep their jobs) without Riley and Co.

Instead of complaining that Diaco wouldn't let them interview him, they should be thanking Riley for as much access as they receive. Riley has been very accommodating and respect towards the local media, but apparently it's not good enough.
I don't blame the media... it's their job. If they didn't push they wouldn't be employed very long.

I have no problem with Diaco not speaking to the media yet, but I don't have a problem with the media making a stink about it either.

Reactions: gomerxx
Bo was the head coach. Diaco is a coordinator. Big difference. Also, this program under Riley has had anything but a bunker mentality. If anything, he has been criticized for saying too much at times.
It's not a big deal to me but it's hard to go to practice and preach do your job when you can't take 5 minutes yourself to do your job. If he's too much of a child to speak after having his unit underperform then how can he expect his defense to keep their cool? Not everything about your job is always sunshine and rainbows but he's an adult with a high paying high profile job, just answer a few questions and get back to work.

I don't blame the media... it's their job. If they didn't push they wouldn't be employed very long.

I have no problem with Diaco not speaking to the media yet, but I don't have a problem with the media making a stink about it either.
I can agree with everything except for the media making a stink about this and I say that because it's game 1.

Give Riley or whomever the chance to talk with Diaco first and let him know he should probably give the media a few words. Don't make a story about it or complain on Twitter. They come off like crybabies imo.

I don't think the players cared that he didn't talk to the media.Those are the people that will ultimately need to respect his decision to not speak to the media. If they still buy in, it sort of doesn't matter what we think. When I played, I could not have cared less if a coach talked to the media.

By not talking to the media he's created a stupid non-story that he or Riley is now going to have to address. If he gives the media a few sound bites, they're writing about a scare and a need to get better, not about a petty beef. Welcome to life in the fishbowl, Bobby.

Apparently Diaco didn't talk to the local media after the game and now they're all butthurt about it.

I understand when people say it's "part of his job", but he's not the head coach so who cares?

No presser leaves us to assume he is not a leader. Bad D scheme and no presser and no leadership. Just great, we get no explanation.

The media is overreacting....but at the same time I also don't think it's right to make your players go out and face the media while you run away.

Reactions: BigRedLegion
Diaco was probably mistaken in not making some brief remarks. But now Barfy is contending that he has disrespected fans by not talking to the press. Dudes first game at NU and the press ups the ante. I get the feeling Barfy doesn't like Diaco.

in all seriousness, what explanation is he going to give you that will suffice? If you want to believe he played vanilla, you are going to spin what he says to fit that narrative. If you want to believe he was just outschemed, nothing he is going to say is changing your mind.

Here is the deal, Nebraska defensively did not play well, few adjustments were made outside of the 15 plays Arkansas State had the ball in the 3rd quarter. The defensive line played base for 80 of 89 plays, be that 3 or 4 man fronts. The didn't blitz much because they would have put themselves at a disadvantage on the back end by sending 5 or 6. Arkansas St. executed a dink and dunk passing game designed to take away the pass rush and protect their new OLine. The fact they were 75/25 pass to run tells you that they wanted nothing to do with lining up and running the ball.

Most people on here are smart enough to figure those things out. It's just that some of you need to hear Diaco say his team didn't execute or that he was outcoached. But the fact is, as I said before, nothing he would have said would change you opinion.

What is wrong with our Media and some fans when we give a crap who gives interview s after a win. Jesus Lord help us!!!
I agree with you, Diaco may be the type of coach where he likes to see the film before he makes a lot of comments to the media. The team did not play well defensively, but take away the nine points that the D did not give up and if the offense finishes in the fourth quarter then we win by 3 to 4 tds.

I agree with you, Diaco may be the type of coach where he likes to see the film before he makes a lot of comments to the media. The team did not play well defensively, but take away the nine points that the D did not give up and if the offense finishes in the fourth quarter then we win by 3 to 4 tds.

If we are taking away the 9 points that our defense didn't give up do we still get to keep the 9 points that their defense didn't give up????

To say hes disrespecting fans is over the top. But after that performance something should have been said. Lee and Jackson said ASU film showed alot of deep shots. Diaco could have said that and answered a couple more questions. Im sure we will hear something soon.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the DC to make himself available to the press after the game.

Had he made it known before the game or season that he would not normally address the media after games, the expectation would have been set. But when you are the highest paid assistant in program history and your outfit didn't perform well, it's a bad look to disappear after the game.

Reactions: BigRedLegion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT