ADVERTISEMENT

Devils advocate on Mike Riley......

CoastGuard2018

Walk On
Jul 25, 2017
and I know I'll get crucified. You guys on paper have 17 returning starters next year plus hopefully a healthy Tre Bryant. Young team this year and quite frankly a poor senior class that was recruited by the previous coach. Maybe should have gotten another year but with the Diaco hire and your oline issues I understand the frustration.

and I know I'll get crucified. You guys on paper have 17 returning starters next year plus hopefully a healthy Tre Bryant. Young team this year and quite frankly a poor senior class that was recruited by the previous coach. Maybe should have gotten another year but with the Diaco hire and your oline issues I understand the frustration.

Too bad, losing to NIU, close win to Ark State, blowout loss to Minny Golphers, the OSU never punted blowout, Wiscy physically manhandled our team. We have way more talent than Northwestern, still lose. He doesn't deserve any more time.

...all good points, plus he is so nice....

Reactions: little a
The team is young and there were alot of moving parts (many of which were forced on Riley). If the team had been something like 7-5 and had been competitive or shown improvement, it would have been very difficult to fire him, but we are staring down the barrel of 4-8, so......

Reactions: HuskerLLM
There is zero chance he stays and I don't know if one could say he deserves another year. I will say the biggest issues were 1) switching to Diaco D. I haven't figured out if Diaco coaching is just horrible or the kids weren't buying into the new 3-4 and just not trying 100%. From the sound of it, Riley was pretty well forced by Eichorst to switch to Diaco. I believe we are better under Banker D 2) Very young team. We all know Bo was not the best recruiter plus the fact he brainwashed the kids to basically follow nobody but him. This could still be a result of that. So playing devils advocate I could see a small small small chance he should stay. Then I go back and look at is 30 year history and say , nope

And what from watching the last three years makes you think any of these youngters will be one iota better a year from now with these coaches.

Too bad, losing to NIU, close win to Ark State, blowout loss to Minny Golphers, the OSU never punted blowout, Wiscy physically manhandled our team. We have way more talent than Northwestern, still lose. He doesn't deserve any more time.
We lost in OT to Northwestern and NW is ranked now...:(

all the returning starters and talent in the world can return, they still need to be coached. Nuff said!

We could finish 4-8 while playing in the easiest division in major college football. You can't blame that all on youth. We haven't won fewer than 5 games here since 1961.

652f50569c169d2e636274aa456b1b70.jpg

-Gave up 50+ points in 3 out of the last 5 games. In of those games was to Minnesota. A team that likely wont go to a bowl game. A team that barely beat Illinois. A team that had not scored 50 points all year on anyone. Their second highest scoring game was to Oregon State. What a coincidence.

-Riley had his chance to fire Cav last year. He risked his job by bringing him back this year. He deserves to be fired.

- He doesn't know when to take executive authority & over rule his coaches. See the NW game, up 7 and in the redzone. All we have to do is run, go up 10 and win the game. Danny calls a stupid play and bam, interception, and they go on to win. Mike said he thought we should have ran. He's the dam coach, over rule stupidity.

- Also, he's #1 on coacheshotseat.com for a reason http://coacheshotseat.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Wasker77
Riley’s records have always fluctuated greatly based on the talent he has on hand. That is the sign of a bad coach. Good coaches always have consistently good records regardless of their talent. Look at Riley’s Oregon State teams, same story. He’s just not a good football coach.

I haven't seen anything that convinces me Tre Bryant ever plays football again. I don't think he has an injury, I think he has a degenerative condition.

Riley’s records have always fluctuated greatly based on the talent he has on hand. That is the sign of a bad coach. Good coaches always have consistently good records regardless of their talent. Look at Riley’s Oregon State teams, same story. He’s just not a good football coach.

the kids he brought in at OSU.. can't get them in NEbraksa.. his teams were loaded with Poly kids that couldn't make it thru a comic book in an hour... case in point.. the Wiscy coach headed back west, he couldn't stand not having elite athletes around.. all these west coast guys are much better staying out west.. totally different football... I spent 7-8 years doing camps, highlights, and working with JC and HS coaching staffs.. I remember when the guy who ran this forum at the time told me Menelik Holt was had 4* hands.. dude was lecturing me after I cut MEno's tape for 3 years LOL. Rule 1, always know who you are talking too.. the star system is funny.. I used to build lists and help rate these guys.. that's how "scientific" the process is.

Reactions: Mtnhusker
This thread might has well be titled "Nebraska fans are stupid. I'm going to try & tell them why a 4 win coach is a good coach so they stay awful".

No clue on Bryant.

GBR
Not implying anyone is dumb. Just saying on paper you should have a much better year next year and with continued recruiting efforts in the future. It used to be come hell or high water a coach got 5 years. With inflated salaries and instant media Zi realize that is no longer the norm although maybe it should be.

Yeah....all of the above.

If the issue was youth, they should be getting better. They’re not.

There is also the issue of being wholly unprepared week after week. NU has had 1 game in 11 where they came out strong and played decent football for 4 quarters - Illinois.

Being unprepared has been a problem since his first year.

What is encouraging is the see what Dennis Erickson did with his group after Mike Riley left the first time.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Hopefully after this Friday all this pounding of one's head against a wall will come to an end. Riley came to Nebraska as a 54% winning coach and if the Huskers lose to Iowa on Friday he will exit Nebraska with a 50% winning record with the Huskers. Riley has managed to bring his mediocre record to Lincoln and make it even worse.

What is encouraging is the see what Dennis Erickson did with his group after Mike Riley left the first time.

This one is up to Moos. If he gets a good coach for the Huskers I will bet their record improves substantially. If he brings in a coach like the one from Navy or Army, good luck. To me that is throwing in the towel. It is saying Nebraska can only win with an archaic system and will exclude us from getting many great players. We will be destined for 6-6, 7-5 or 8-4 records.

Heh, just the usual BS excuses.

Funny how the "previous" HC's poor recruiting had him win either 9 games or 10 games for his SEVEN consecutive years. That's despite taking over a losing Clownahan team.

MR will have two losing seasons in three years. Even worse than Callahan. But.....so what? Let's just continue forever blaming Bo for everything. Makes perfect sense to me. After all, MR is a "nice" guy.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Tre Bryant also won't ever be healthy again.

I need for you "Riley's recruiting is better than BO's" guys to explain to me how Riley's classes are better than BO's when they are basically identical using Rivals Recruiting rankings?

Tks.

I think we should rehash this over and over and over until the very last moment that Mike Riley is employed by the University of Nebraska. Please...if you can...bring it up a few thousand more times, because time is running short.

Thanks for stopping by. You travel safely..

Not implying anyone is dumb. Just saying on paper you should have a much better year next year and with continued recruiting efforts in the future. It used to be come hell or high water a coach got 5 years. With inflated salaries and instant media Zi realize that is no longer the norm although maybe it should be.
Well they don't play games on paper. If they did we would have had a much better year this year.

I need for you "Riley's recruiting is better than BO's" guys to explain to me how Riley's classes are better than BO's when they are basically identical using Rivals Recruiting rankings?

Tks.
Its been explained over and over. "He's a nice guy".

Reactions: Gimmered
This one is up to Moos. If he gets a good coach for the Huskers I will bet their record improves substantially. If he brings in a coach like the one from Navy or Army, good luck. To me that is throwing in the towel. It is saying Nebraska can only win with an archaic system and will exclude us from getting many great players. We will be destined for 6-6, 7-5 or 8-4 records.
Niumatalolo gets a hell of a lot more from a hell of a lot less than Riley. His teams are always one of the least penalized teams in NCAA, kinda the opposite of Riley, right there. We could do much worse.

Niumatalolo gets a hell of a lot more from a hell of a lot less than Riley. His teams are always one of the least penalized teams in NCAA, kinda the opposite of Riley, right there. We could do much worse.

Comparing him to Riley does absolutely nothing for me. We could do worse, but why don't we go for great. Haven't we had enough retreads. Niumatolo has never had to recruit for a big time program. Service academies have a small group of players to recruit from. I think the Huskers would just be in the middle of the pack in the West Division with Ken as their coach. Big time players don't want to play the option

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT