ADVERTISEMENT

Despite the outcome, had a awesome time in God’s country last weekend…

SantaBarbaraSker

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2005
Where ever my wife tells me to be.
Myself, the Wife, and 10 others converged on Lincoln Thursday night, rented a couple of suburbans (pretty ironic, when we went to pick up our rental vehicles one of them had Illinois plates😏), and headed to the Hyatt in the Haymarket. The wife and my room was directly across from Gate 25. Room was awesome, but the “smaller” Jumbotron faced directly at our window, which was cool, but at night, if we didn’t lower the blackout shade, it reminded me of that Seinfeld episode with Kramer and the Kenny Rogers chicken sign.

stocks-game-stop.gif

IMG-7916.jpg

Of the group, myself, my wife, and my two best buds are the only ones that have been to a Nebraska game, or any college football game for that matter. It was fun, watching it for the first time through a Newby’s eyes. Walked through the tailgate parking lot next to the Hyatt on game day, and as per usual got adopted by some husker fans who fed generously. We made arrangements with them to meet us at the USC game later this year to return the favor. All of the newbies were super impressed with both the Haymarket/Railyard district, and in particular the stadium, and game atmosphere. Pregame with the flyover, and everything, as well as the show between the third and fourth quarter blew them away. Had club seats in the stadium 200 section of East stadium. Where it not a night game, I’m sure we’d all have died of heat stroke, but as it worked out great. When we got to our seats, an hour before kickoff, we were already in the shadow of West Stadium… It was a gorgeous evening. Much like flying first class, club seats have now ruined me for regular Memorial Stadium sardine seating. Also nice that the wife could hit the restroom and not miss a full quarter of football.

IMG-7933.jpg

We had a couple extra days as we didn’t return till Sunday evening. The ladie all did their damage shopping the Haymarket, and contributed greatly to the local economy. Us guys did the same at the local watering holes.

Took advantage of the steakhouse recommendations. Thursday evening we hit Single Barrel. I realize many on this board aren’t really impressed with the place, hey, but I have always found it pretty decent. I’d call it exceptional this visit. Just need to be sure, and order off their prime/aged menu rather than choice. The prime ribeye with truffle butter was outstanding. One of the guys in our group actually ordered the prime 57 ounce tomahawk ribeye ($135). Thing was bigger than his head lol.
Saturday night we hit Casa Bovina, which was also excellent. Definitely more upscale. They gave us a private room which was nice, as we could drink and be a bit rowdy without disturbing anyone.
Also, tried to great little bar/restaurant in the Haymarket called Fleetwood…great food, great drinks excellent service, fun atmosphere. six of us that went & sat in a private room in the old vault. Cool place.

IMG-7939.jpg

IMG-4251.jpg

IMG-4248.jpg

We did cruise around in Lincoln a bit Saturday. Took them through the beautiful old neighborhood around Lincoln country club, and showed what kind of home the could get for your money when not living in California. They couldn’t believe it. Also took them to the Scheels superstore. Had a few gun enthusiast in the group, and they loved it.
Funny incident on the way back from Southpoint… was driving in the right lane which was ending a couple blocks ahead (going down to one lane in both directions). Put on my blinker, glanced in my sideview mirror and saw some guy in an old Honda speeding up trying to squeeze in front before I merged over. I went ahead and changed lanes with plenty of room, but he apparently he didn’t appreciate it, and he laid on his horn. He blew that horn straight for 2+ blocks sitting right on my ass. I break checked him pretty aggressively, and he locked up his break and Slid into the curb. Was sort of hoping he would’ve rear ended us, as I would’ve love to see the expression on his face when he realized he’d rear-ended a vehicle containing three attorneys, one of which a very successful, personal injury lawyer 😂. Needless to say he didn’t tailgate any further, and turned off on the side street his next opportunity. Definitely an overreaction on his part, but got to thinking later, it might’ve been the Illinois plates that set him off.🤔

Certainly wish it would have been a win, but still an exceptional trip over all. Everyone to a person can’t wait to head back for another game. Hopefully a win next time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.