ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart?

2 positions scare me

ILB and Center

We are one injury away from being good to not being good at both
Seems like Will Farniok would do fine at Center and Miller/Honas as the third LB. We aren't deep at either, but I think we could sustain one injury. Not sure that is the case at Safety, there isn't much after the starters there.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I'm not surprised by Collin Miller being listed first above Honas. You could see in their play last year Miller was more physically ready, and Honas seems to think too much. I am a little surprised by the OLB spots. I was hoping Domann would really step it up and I thought Tannor would require another year to get comfortable. I don't care how many articles say he's improved, I'm still not sold on Alex Davis. There was a bunch of people saying the same thing last year and he just makes too many mistakes. From what I saw last year, Ferguson was a much more solid player and played faster than Davis.

Another thing of note is the Davis twins beating out Stille at D end. Some people on here were calling him the next Grant Wistrom, but Stille's play never really stood out to me. Carlos Davis is much more solid against the run, and the Davis twins are athletic enough to be disruptive in the passing game.

Also I'm kind of glad Ty Robinson and Green aren't listed and may be looking at redshirts. Even though they probably could play a lot this year, it would be good to have some separation from this year's deep defensive line to provide depth for the years to come.

I'm not surprised by Collin Miller being listed first above Honas. You could see in their play last year Miller was more physically ready, and Honas seems to think too much. I am a little surprised by the OLB spots. I was hoping Domann would really step it up and I thought Tannor would require another year to get comfortable. I don't care how many articles say he's improved, I'm still not sold on Alex Davis. There was a bunch of people saying the same thing last year and he just makes too many mistakes. From what I saw last year, Ferguson was a much more solid player and played faster than Davis.

Another thing of note is the Davis twins beating out Stille at D end. Some people on here were calling him the next Grant Wistrom, but Stille's play never really stood out to me. Carlos Davis is much more solid against the run, and the Davis twins are athletic enough to be disruptive in the passing game.

Also I'm kind of glad Ty Robinson and Green aren't listed and may be looking at redshirts. Even though they probably could play a lot this year, it would be good to have some separation from this year's deep defensive line to provide depth for the years to come.
Nice paragraph breaks. I'm impressed!

Frost told everyone not to get too caught up in this thing. There are still pieces sorting themselves out and we still have games to play. He warned you, up to you to listen.

Agreed, it’s just a starting point. We will see this thing change a lot over the next several games...at least in a few areas. RB, Oline and Dline will more then likely stay the same and probably CB too. But the rest will definitely change some. And it’s obvious they plan on redshirting Noa Pola-Gates and Myles Farmer...which isn’t a bad thing. We got two solid starters in D Williams and DisMuke.

I won’t give you crap on paragraph breaks...because it’s about football, not grammar or English classes. But I agree with you on most things you said. But I have been high on Caleb Tannor every since we landed that guy and stole him from the SEC and Georgia. Dude has the one thing most our LBs don’t...SPEED. Now he’s gotten bigger and ready to rock. JoJo will do some special things too but Tannor is the future at OLB.

I agree with everything you say here. I especially agree with your comments on Stille and Alex Davis.

I won’t give you crap on paragraph breaks...because it’s about football, not grammar or English classes. But I agree with you on most things you said. But I have been high on Caleb Tannor every since we landed that guy and stole him from the SEC and Georgia. Dude has the one thing most our LBs don’t...SPEED. Now he’s gotten bigger and ready to rock. JoJo will do some special things too but Tannor is the future at OLB.

Ya, Ferguson and JoJo just have not been able to stay healthy. Not sure either are at (even near) their 100% even now...we should get something out of them this year though

wasn't there a lot of excitement and a writeup on Zach Schlager a week or so ago?

did he get hurt?

Looking at the Depth Chart, we have a freshman Center with a freshman Center backup. We have a freshman WR. Adrian is a stud, but he'll have to be with an untested OL. The D is mostly Seniors and looks really good with the DE Davis Twins and the 340 lb Daniel brothers at NT.

Looking at the Depth Chart, we have a freshman Center with a freshman Center backup. We have a freshman WR. Adrian is a stud, but he'll have to be with an untested OL. The D is mostly Seniors and looks really good with the DE Davis Twins and the 340 lb Daniel brothers at NT.

With an untested OLine? Ok, I’ll give you the untested part at Center but B Jaimes, B Farniok and B Wilson have played a ton of snaps (started every game last year and Jaimes has been playing since he was a true freshman). Then Hixson has gotten snaps as well. Not as many as the other 3...but he’s good to go. It’s why he’s on scholarship now. I’m not to worried about Cam Jurgens and Will Farniok at Center. They are going up against two monsters at NT in Darrion and Damian Daniels that both weigh 340 pounds at practice everyday. The Oline will be more then fine.

And I’m definitely not worried about Wan’Dale Robinson at WR. We all seen what R Moore did at Purdue as a true freshman. Robinson will tear it up this year...count on that. WR overall is plenty good and pretty loaded.

And I completely agree about the defensive side of things. Having the Davis twins playing DE (about 320 each) and then having a NFL caliber NT in Darrion Daniels that weighs 340 pounds. Teams will not push our front 7 around like they done in the past. Defense should take a collective step forward.

Reactions: oldjar07
Tannor was the biggest surprise to me. JoJo being hurt gave him the opportunity. I do think that the OLB depth chart is about as fluid as any position on the team. They have a lot to prove, and practice isn't enough. They'll have to put it on game film. But it's a big chance for Tannor, and everyone has says he has talent. Big-time recruit.

Cam Taylor being "OR" with Jackson. They had to put Cam someplace. If they listed DBs 1-5 I don't think Cam would be 5. They just don't list nickel on the depth chart. I think maybe putting him as an "OR" to Jackson may just say more about where he'll end up next season, probably starting at CB instead of Safety.

The one observation I had which I haven't seen much comment about is Mike Williams. Moving up, as another of the "OR"s. After last season, I wasn't sure he'd see the field again, but it looks like he's going to be a big part of the rotation. There's talk about Andre Hunt disappearing, but I think some of the veterans just stepped it up. I think we'll see Andre before the year's up as long as he sticks it out.

We will definitely see how this plays out. A few of you guys are on the Jojo Domann bandwagon and a few (myself included) are on Caleb Tannors bandwagon. Mo Barry was saying a bunch of good things about Tannor today. Like most, I’m not sold on Alex Davis...MAYBE Domann or Tannor can take one side and Tannor the other? Last year they where listed on opposite sides...why not this year?

Last edited:
We will definitely see how this plays out. A few of you guys are on the Jojo Domann bandwagon and a few (myself included) are on Caleb Tannors bandwagon. Mo Barry was even raven about Tannor today. Like most, I’m not sold on Alex Davis...MAYBE Domann or Tannor can take one side and Tannor the other? Last year they where listed on opposite sides...why not this year?

I’ll trust frost and Chins to put them in the right spots.

We will definitely see how this plays out. A few of you guys are on the Jojo Domann bandwagon and a few (myself included) are on Caleb Tannors bandwagon. Mo Barry was even raven about Tannor today. Like most, I’m not sold on Alex Davis...MAYBE Domann or Tannor can take one side and Tannor the other? Last year they where listed on opposite sides...why not this year?
Raven? Autocorrect is a bitch sometimes.

Davis and Ferguson are a bit bigger than Caleb and Jojo, Garrett is also on the Davis/Ferg side and he goes 260. The OLB spots are not necessarily interchangeable.

Davis and Ferguson are a bit bigger than Caleb and Jojo, Garrett is also on the Davis/Ferg side and he goes 260. The OLB spots are not necessarily interchangeable.

They aren't interchangeable at all

Big difference between Boundary and Field LB positions

Garrett Nelson is a beast. I wouldn't be surprised if he won the starting role by the end of the year. I see him as an all conference type player and maybe even more than that. It's kind of easy to write off being tough and aggressive as a reason to get playing time, but there's actually very few players that truly have that. Nelson just has it at a different level already.

They aren't interchangeable at all

Big difference between Boundary and Field LB positions
I think too much is made of boundary or field side sometimes. If you're an OLB or even a CB, you should be developing the skills to play both sides.

I think too much is made of boundary or field side sometimes. If you're an OLB or even a CB, you should be developing the skills to play both sides.

CB I agree, OLB in a 3-4, I do not agree, not unless you are getting 6'-3"-6'5" 260 lb dudes that can rush the passer, cover a tight end, set the edge against the run and drop down to a 3 point stance and play DE. Not a ton of those dudes running around.

CB I agree, OLB in a 3-4, I do not agree, not unless you are getting 6'-3"-6'5" 260 lb dudes that can rush the passer, cover a tight end, set the edge against the run and drop down to a 3 point stance and play DE. Not a ton of those dudes running around.

more difficult scheme to recruit to : 4-3 vs 3-4??

are 4-3 DEs easier to recruit than 3-4 OLBs?

Not so much field and boundary, but weak and strong (tight end). Those dudes you describe are not very plentiful. In these spread sets, the need for speed is apparent while not giving up size at the same time. Rare combination of a guy who can fight off the block or cover the TE, fill several gaps and come up and track down a fast RB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
more difficult scheme to recruit to : 4-3 vs 3-4??

are 4-3 DEs easier to recruit than 3-4 OLBs?

Tough question. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and both have positions that are tough to recruit to.

To answer your question, I say yes 4-3 DEs are probably more plentiful than 3-4 OLBs, but filling the two DTs is more difficult than only getting 1 NT.

I think getting the guy that can take on blocks, set the edge, and fill a gap (4-3 DE) is easier to get than finding the guy that can cover, and not get lost in coverage with the speed of a slot or RB, not get blocked by a RB, TE etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlb321
Tough question. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and both have positions that are tough to recruit to.

To answer your question, I say yes 4-3 DEs are probably more plentiful than 3-4 OLBs, but filling the two DTs is more difficult than only getting 1 NT.

I think getting the guy that can take on blocks, set the edge, and fill a gap (4-3 DE) is easier to get than finding the guy that can cover, and not get lost in coverage with the speed of a slot or RB, not get blocked by a RB, TE etc.

It’s funny to look back when we ran a 4-3. At times we hardly had any DTs (remember Cam Merideth playing DT?) and people clamored for a 3-4 because we couldn’t find the pieces and had LBs. Now we’re short on LBs and have a bunch of DL and we’re dreaming of the 4-3.

In either system, finding a difference maker as a rusher (OLB or DE) and good DTs/NTs is tough. Hopefully with a few years of good recruiting and roster management it won’t have to be a such a talking point.

Tannor was the biggest surprise to me. JoJo being hurt gave him the opportunity. I do think that the OLB depth chart is about as fluid as any position on the team. They have a lot to prove, and practice isn't enough. They'll have to put it on game film. But it's a big chance for Tannor, and everyone has says he has talent. Big-time recruit.

Cam Taylor being "OR" with Jackson. They had to put Cam someplace. If they listed DBs 1-5 I don't think Cam would be 5. They just don't list nickel on the depth chart. I think maybe putting him as an "OR" to Jackson may just say more about where he'll end up next season, probably starting at CB instead of Safety.

The one observation I had which I haven't seen much comment about is Mike Williams. Moving up, as another of the "OR"s. After last season, I wasn't sure he'd see the field again, but it looks like he's going to be a big part of the rotation. There's talk about Andre Hunt disappearing, but I think some of the veterans just stepped it up. I think we'll see Andre before the year's up as long as he sticks it out.
They put Cam at “or” with Lamar bc he already has better cover, ball and tackling skills than Lamar; just needs game experience. He is the real deal. Will be all conference his JR and SR year.

For the TE position, I think Austin Allen deserves the Co- #1 position, he's been impressive. Rafdal I haven't seen a whole lot stand out from him since he's been here. I would have thought Legrone would have passed him by now, and I think Legrone fits our scheme better than any of the other TE's. In the Spring game and the clips I saw of him, he looked impressive so I'm surprised he's not even listed on the depth chart.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Raven? Autocorrect is a bitch sometimes.

I swear to God it gets me 1000 times a day. I have to back track constantly and fix little mistakes like that because of my autocorrect. My IPhone likes to predict what I’m typing and just adds a word sometimes too....then I don’t notice it till later that day, sometimes the next day. Good catch. :(

ADVERTISEMENT