ADVERTISEMENT

Departing Letter to Fans

Capiche

Walk On
Jul 28, 2011
Kevin Woidke is a 5th senior at Ohio State. He is a former walk-on offensive lineman who only saw the field in mop up time and special teams when the game was already decided. Like many walk-ons he was on the scout team going up against the 1 and 2 defenses every day. To his credit he did earn a scholarship this spring. He tweeted this message to OSU fans below:

After a great five years at Ohio State, I am being forced to begin the next chapter. No matter how hard I fight it, I am forced to leave Ohio State. So, I might as well declare for the 2020 NFL Draft.

I am extremely grateful for the people who helped me sustain my career at Ohio State as long as possible. Without their help I would have never been there in the first place.

Now, a very fair question that most of you are asking: "Who is this kid?" That is very valid, and I totally understand why nobody would have heard of me. I have done nothing to even remotely warrant attention in any way. I am one of the guys in the hype videos that stands in the back and looks like a mix of Buddy the Elf and Marv from Home Alone. I have silently earned zero national awards and truly want to thank everyone who helped me achieve this honor. I'll never forget you for this.

To my teammates, thank you for making these years unforgettable. Without you guys making all the athletic and spectacular plays, I would have never been able to glide under the radar like I did. From Jerome Baker's INT in the spring game overshadowing my worst pass block rep ever, to Blake making every field goal so I never had to tackle anyone in a real game. I really appreciate the work you guys put in to make the team what it was and me the man I am today.

Lastly, shout out to the athletic training staff for keeping me alive these many years. From the endless inhalers you have provided to help my asthma, all the way to helping me deal with my peanut allergy. Thinking back on it, it's honestly a miracle I'm not dead yet.

5 gold pants
3 B1G Championships

That's it, there's nothing else. There no other awards (sic.). Go Bucks and thank you Buckeye Nation!

Kevin Woidke is a 5th senior at Ohio State. He is a former walk-on offensive lineman who only saw the field in mop up time and special teams when the game was already decided. Like many walk-ons he was on the scout team going up against the 1 and 2 defenses every day. To his credit he did earn a scholarship this spring. He tweeted this message to OSU fans below:

After a great five years at Ohio State, I am being forced to begin the next chapter. No matter how hard I fight it, I am forced to leave Ohio State. So, I might as well declare for the 2020 NFL Draft.

I am extremely grateful for the people who helped me sustain my career at Ohio State as long as possible. Without their help I would have never been there in the first place.

Now, a very fair question that most of you are asking: "Who is this kid?" That is very valid, and I totally understand why nobody would have heard of me. I have done nothing to even remotely warrant attention in any way. I am one of the guys in the hype videos that stands in the back and looks like a mix of Buddy the Elf and Marv from Home Alone. I have silently earned zero national awards and truly want to thank everyone who helped me achieve this honor. I'll never forget you for this.

To my teammates, thank you for making these years unforgettable. Without you guys making all the athletic and spectacular plays, I would have never been able to glide under the radar like I did. From Jerome Baker's INT in the spring game overshadowing my worst pass block rep ever, to Blake making every field goal so I never had to tackle anyone in a real game. I really appreciate the work you guys put in to make the team what it was and me the man I am today.

Lastly, shout out to the athletic training staff for keeping me alive these many years. From the endless inhalers you have provided to help my asthma, all the way to helping me deal with my peanut allergy. Thinking back on it, it's honestly a miracle I'm not dead yet.

5 gold pants
3 B1G Championships

That's it, there's nothing else. There no other awards (sic.). Go Bucks and thank you Buckeye Nation!
I think you have this board confused with the Ohio State board.

Great letter for BUCKEYE fans. He seems like a loyal Buckeye player and someone who gave his all for the team when he could have easily transferred out and maybe had career else where. But I Agree with the others above, why post this on a Husker board? Literally makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
Wonder how many walk ons in and former walk ons have the same passion for UNL and the program as this young man? I’m sure winning really helps the memories and the rear view but he sounds like a typical college kid who loved the time with buddies.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Wonder how many walk ons in and former walk ons have the same passion for UNL and the program as this young man? I’m sure winning really helps the memories and the rear view but he sounds like a typical college kid who loved the time with buddies.
I would guess almost all of them. They just haven’t written a corny letter to get attention.

exactly, I am whiling to bet most walk ons on our Husker roster feel the same exact way. It’s why they walk on and pay their own way...when more times then not, they probably won’t ever play one single snap all 5 years in the program. They do this because they truly love the Huskers.

exactly, I am whiling to bet most walk ons on our Husker roster feel the same exact way. It’s why they walk on and pay their own way...when more times then not, they probably won’t ever play one single snap all 5 years in the program. They do this because they truly love the Huskers.
The prior walk-ons I personally know felt that way. But that was back in the 80s and 90s

Responses in this thread prove 1. People don't read. 2. People lack a sense of humor.

Thanks for posting, OP!

Reactions: dand84
I think you have this board confused with the Ohio State board.
Looks like you spend alot of time on there site,maybe you are confused which team you are a fan .I dont think people here gives a **** what ohio st players are having problems with!!!

We need to relax here, imho...it's kind of a universal letter, the same some of our walk ons might be inclined to write...thought it was pretty funny/cool....does NOT mean I want a whole slew of osu posts here, though....:)

Looks like you spend alot of time on there site,maybe you are confused which team you are a fan .I dont think people here gives a **** what ohio st players are having problems with!!!
At least I'm a Husker fan on a Husker board. Get lost.

Reactions: Bugeater
Responses in this thread prove 1. People don't read. 2. People lack a sense of humor.

Thanks for posting, OP!
Agree. This sarcastic letter to fans is funny but sad at the same time that an athlete feels like he has wasted 5 years for little or nothing

Reactions: artguy68
610 WTVN in Columbus interviewed this guy yesterday. He is blown away by the amount of press he received on this. He wrote this as a tongue in cheek letter. He majored in Real Estate at tOSU and will pursue this after he takes some time off to party. He loved his time there and would not change a thing. Great guy.

Reactions: Crazyhole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT