ADVERTISEMENT

Dennis Dodd puts Rhule at the head of the class

fc7c7aa8be365d6aed7e1dae18bd900a9ad5eb37.gif

Last edited:
is it accurate to say Rhule turned down Nebraska at first? Didn't follow minutia that close but sounded like Panthers were the reason it wasn't going to work, and at that time Rhule wanted it to work but accepted that it wouldn't

Reactions: blackshirts25
I have said this before, Rhule or any coach for that matter, has three main areas they have to back up their words with.

1. Recruiting - either they recruit the highly ranked kids or they are good at finding those that are not. In this day and age of Hudl filming every single HS and small college game, there is no shortage of film out there.

2. Player Development - this is a tricky one. When you are recruiting low and even 0 star kids and some that weight a whopping 160 lbs, sure development is going to matter. The problem, for ME, anyway is do you want to develop 4* kids or 2* kids? Going more developmental is fine, there are all sorts of accounts where Tom did this but he was pretty strategic in doing so and had the coaching to back it up. For me, it also delays the third step in the process because you are already starting with players allegedly behind the curve in development.

3. Winning - Rhule has shown he can win after some rocky starts. What he hasn't shown is a consistent success of winning at a single school and beating top teams. Every coach wants to win and thinks he has the magic formula but, there are no shortcuts and just getting to the top is easier than staying there consistently. Time will tell.

I have said this before, Rhule or any coach for that matter, has three main areas they have to back up their words with.

1. Recruiting - either they recruit the highly ranked kids or they are good at finding those that are not. In this day and age of Hudl filming every single HS and small college game, there is no shortage of film out there.

2. Player Development - this is a tricky one. When you are recruiting low and even 0 star kids and some that weight a whopping 160 lbs, sure development is going to matter. The problem, for ME, anyway is do you want to develop 4* kids or 2* kids? Going more developmental is fine, there are all sorts of accounts where Tom did this but he was pretty strategic in doing so and had the coaching to back it up. For me, it also delays the third step in the process because you are already starting with players allegedly behind the curve in development.

3. Winning - Rhule has shown he can win after some rocky starts. What he hasn't shown is a consistent success of winning at a single school and beating top teams. Every coach wants to win and thinks he has the magic formula but, there are no shortcuts and just getting to the top is easier than staying there consistently. Time will tell.
4. thats why we buy 5 million worth of bit coin now, before the bull run so we have 50 million to give aranda (on speed dial) when penn state calls for rhule.

alot of times in life it's about planing ahead.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78

Tru. I looked at NU's current roster, including any recent transfers or incoming freshmen.

I'm going by memory of current players who were 4* kids out of high school,
and I stand to be corrected by someone, but, this is what it looks like:

Current NU players that signed as 4* kids out of high school:

Nine (9). Hill, Singleton, Gates, FIdone, Benhart, Teddy, Corcoran, Wynn, Robinson.

New portal transfers that were 4 * kids out of high school: Five (5). Collier, Borders, Jeudy, Sims, Fleeks.

New freshmen recruits that are 4 *. Three (3). Coleman, Gottula, Prince.

In addition, it looks like another 4-star in Lenhardt could join the Huskers.

Despite a history of injuries, there will be a lot of experienced physical talent that "could" be developed.

At the end of Year 1, we can all sit back and discuss how development went among the 4* group of players, and what 3* and lower kids, including the Preferred Walk-Ons developed. Did they develop, and by how much based on depth chart status?

Adding 6 new Offensive Linemen and 6 new DL/DE is a fair amount of new talent to work with.

I wouldn't see a great rush in developing kids who are taken as development-type players. There's plenty of upperclassmen experience to not have to force anyone young to be ready until they're actually ready.

They should be able to take some time with those young offensive linemen. Same with the other young position groups.

Last edited:
A for Alcoholic
Can we stop with the alcoholic stuff... Scott failed because he was a bad head coach not because he likes to drink. I don't understand the obsession with outside sources causing Scott to fail...it is obvious he was a good offensive coordinator and game planner placed into a role as a program builder and CEO. His teams at UCF had bad defenses, turned the ball over, had a lot of penalties and were mediocre on special teams, but they were explosive on offense and had a game changer at RB, WR, and QB...something he never had at NU. His competition was also really bad on defense and so there were no checks to his strength. His offenses at NU were good between the 20s but because of abhorrent defense, special teams, field position, and turnover margin he lost a lot of close games. He was the same coach up until late 2021 as he was at UCF, just in a different situation where his weaknesses could be exposed and then exploited by experienced coaches. He had NO business being put in charge of a major power 5 program in need of a complete overhaul, especially needing a complete restructuring of defense and special teams to win in the big 10. Sadly most were duped and let hope that the golden boy could return us to the promised land. Scott's biggest mistake was taking the job with so little experience, especially with building an entire program and going through multiple recruiting cycles to build all three phases. He is a bad coach, and will never be a head coach in power 5 again as a result. Scott went to the exact wrong conference to run a weak turnover dependent defense and a soft offense dependent on confusing defenses with unique formations.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Can we stop with the alcoholic stuff... Scott failed because he was a bad head coach not because he likes to drink. I don't understand the obsession with outside sources causing Scott to fail...it is obvious he was a good offensive coordinator and game planner placed into a role as a program builder and CEO. His teams at UCF had bad defenses, turned the ball over, had a lot of penalties and were mediocre on special teams, but they were explosive on offense and had a game changer at RB, WR, and QB...something he never had at NU. His competition was also really bad on defense and so there were no checks to his strength. His offenses at NU were good between the 20s but because of abhorrent defense, special teams, field position, and turnover margin he lost a lot of close games. He was the same coach up until late 2021 as he was at UCF, just in a different situation where his weaknesses could be exposed and then exploited by experienced coaches. He had NO business being put in charge of a major power 5 program in need of a complete overhaul, especially needing a complete restructuring of defense and special teams to win in the big 10. Sadly most were duped and let hope that the golden boy could return us to the promised land. Scott's biggest mistake was taking the job with so little experience, especially with building an entire program and going through multiple recruiting cycles to build all three phases. He is a bad coach, and will never be a head coach in power 5 again as a result. Scott went to the exact wrong conference to run a weak turnover dependent defense and a soft offense dependent on confusing defenses with unique formations.
Paragraphs. They are your friend.

You’re a terrible troll. Most quasi-intelligent trolls get that if you want people to read your posts keep it brief. Just terrible.

I agree

Calling frost an alcoholic gives a bad name to boozehounds everywhere

Our former head coach is dead to me and I shall treat him thusly

Reactions: Walleye79
One of the dreariest chores of a grim career was slogging through Dennis Dodd's raw copy years ago. Sure hope he happens to be right this time.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT