ADVERTISEMENT

Demetrius Davis

Decommited from VT. He was our #1 target at QB and I believe we were runner-up the first time around. I wonder if we can get back in it with him again.

Well, as I predicted, this year more than ever there will be a bunch of decommits before signing day. Too many kids committed early before visiting enough schools.

I always find it a bit interesting when a kid committing to a college mentions the best interest of his family... unless you are staying close to home what other kind of interest is there for the kids family in a college choice... I think that’s a very subtle way of saying my family got offered some money if I come ply for a different school...

I always find it a bit interesting when a kid committing to a college mentions the best interest of his family... unless you are staying close to home what other kind of interest is there for the kids family in a college choice... I think that’s a very subtle way of saying my family got offered some money if I come ply for a different school...
Auburn would never do anything like that. Just ask Cam Newton's dad.

@Tuco Salamanca probably can provide the insight on this. I believe he has a connection. Correct me if I am wrong Tuco.

I have a friend that works in the athletic dept at North Shore. I still think Va Tech is in the mix. But I think he realized he made a decision that he really didn't need to make so early. I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn was in the mix. There has been a lot of contact from multiple schools, even after he committed to Va Tech. But like I said, he made a decision when he didn't need to.

I think the Nebraska ship has sailed. From what I have been told, Davis doesn't want to be a guy who runs the ball 15+ times per game. He wants to play in an offense that throws the ball and where he can use his feet to make plays when warranted. He doesn't want to be in an offense where the QB is a 1st or 2nd run option. Unfortunately at Nebraska, under Frost, it appears that the QB is a primary option in the run game.

Just putting together things that I have been told.

This is the QB I wanted from day one and thought Nebraska would get. Didn't want Costeli at all. Hopefully he waits til the season to commit (if there is one) and Nebraska has good offensive efficiency, QB play and WINS some damn games...

I have a friend that works in the athletic dept at North Shore. I still think Va Tech is in the mix. But I think he realized he made a decision that he really didn't need to make so early. I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn was in the mix. There has been a lot of contact from multiple schools, even after he committed to Va Tech. But like I said, he made a decision when he didn't need to.

I think the Nebraska ship has sailed. From what I have been told, Davis doesn't want to be a guy who runs the ball 15+ times per game. He wants to play in an offense that throws the ball and where he can use his feet to make plays when warranted. He doesn't want to be in an offense where the QB is a 1st or 2nd run option. Unfortunately at Nebraska, under Frost, it appears that the QB is a primary option in the run game.

Seems this young qb and I want the same things from the offense/position.

I don’t think we can win year after year having to rely so heavily on designed qb runs, and I don’t think Frost does, either.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Martinez 13.5 car per game
Milton 8.5 car per game
Lawrence 5.5 car per game
Fields 10 car per game

Need to win more games comfortably.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

That maybe accurate that's why in my post I said the offense has to have good efficiency and QB play THIS YEAR. I don't Frost wants a QB that runs the ball on designed plays more than 9-10 times a game.

I don't have the numbers but I'm sure it was way more designed runs in 2019 than '18. Matter of fact you probably can go back to Milton at UCF and Mariotta at Oregon and the designed QB runs were lower than 2019.

The problem was you had a QB (Martinez) who threw at players feet or over their heads on sideline passes and couldn't throw downfield seem or middle of the field passes. So they didn't have a choice but to try and load him or one of the backups on designed runs.

Hopefully this year the offensive efficiency and passing picks up where 2018 ended and progresses from there not 2019. Then QB's like Davis will see Nebraska In a different light.

That maybe accurate that's why in my post I said the offense has to have good efficiency and QB play THIS YEAR. I don't Frost wants a QB that runs the ball on designed plays more than 9-10 times a game.

I don't have the numbers but I'm sure it was way more designed runs in 2019 than '18. Matter of fact you probably can go back to Milton at UCF and Mariotta at Oregon and the designed QB runs were lower than 2019.

The problem was you had a QB (Martinez) who threw at players feet or over their heads on sideline passes and couldn't throw downfield seem or middle of the field passes. So they didn't have a choice but to try and load him or one of the backups on designed runs.

Hopefully this year the offensive efficiency and passing picks up where 2018 ended and progresses from there not 2019. Then QB's like Davis will see Nebraska In a different light.
Yes, I do think that was the issue last year. Martinez was much better passing in his first year and not so good in his second year. I believe that likely was due to him being hurt. Hopefully, if there is a season this year, Martinez will be back to his freshman year normal.

Reactions: TheBeav815

I've posted the numbers before, but off the top of my head, Frost's QBs ran an average of 8.5 times per game, when he was the OC at Oregon and HC at UCF. When he got to Nebraska, that number jumped to about 14. Some of those are designed, some are out of necessity, but the difference between 8.5 and 14 is pretty substantial.

That is a HUUUGE difference and I don't blame Davis for not wanting to be apart of that and I don't blame Frost for doing what he thought he had to do to win some games. Hopefully this year the passing gets better and the offense looks more appealing to new QB recruits.

That is a HUUUGE difference and I don't blame Davis for not wanting to be apart of that and I don't blame Frost for doing what he thought he had to do to win some games. Hopefully this year the passing gets better and the offense looks more appealing to new QB recruits.
Lamar Jackson about 12 times per game in NFL for comparison

I've posted the numbers before, but off the top of my head, Frost's QBs ran an average of 8.5 times per game, when he was the OC at Oregon and HC at UCF. When he got to Nebraska, that number jumped to about 14. Some of those are designed, some are out of necessity, but the difference between 8.5 and 14 is pretty substantial.

And should have run 2 much more last year

This is the QB I wanted in the class. Long shot now I'm sure with Auburn being the new favorite but I hope Frost/Verduzco can swing a miracle to get him to come to Lincoln before it's all said and done.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
This is the QB I wanted in the class. Long shot now I'm sure with Auburn being the new favorite but I hope Frost/Verduzco can swing a miracle to get him to come to Lincoln before it's all said and done.
A bunch of time..a good season good work wonders. The recruiting they have done has been while losing. Give Frost and a little winning buzz and they will kill it.

Auburn runs their qb more than nebraska.

The 3 Auburn QBs had 133 attempts in 2019. That was 11 less rushes in 13 games in 2019 than Adrian Martinez had in 10 games in the same year.

In 2018 5 Auburn QBs combined for 91 rush attempts, again in 13 games, or 49 less attempts than the 140 attempts Martinez had in 11 games.

But whatever you say.

The 3 Auburn QBs had 133 attempts in 2019. That was 11 less rushes in 13 games in 2019 than Adrian Martinez had in 10 games in the same year.

In 2018 5 Auburn QBs combined for 91 rush attempts, again in 13 games, or 49 less attempts than the 140 attempts Martinez had in 11 games.

But whatever you say.

Gus has also had seasons with with qbs running 150+ times. Nick marshall comes to mind. It really depends on how the season is going/how good the qb is...to how much the qb will run, but both teams run their qb.

Gus has also had seasons with with qbs running 150+ times. Nick marshall comes to mind. It really depends on how the season is going/how good the qb is...to how much the qb will run, but both teams run their qb.

So you meant to say in 2013 and 2014, when Nick Marshall was the QB at Auburn, Auburn ran the ball more than Nebraska has under Frost. But instead you wrote

Auburn runs their qb more than nebraska.

again, whatever you say

So you meant to say in 2013 and 2014, when Nick Marshall was the QB at Auburn, Auburn ran the ball more than Nebraska has under Frost. But instead you wrote

again, whatever you say
Your right Auburn is pro system that doesnt run their qb.

Your right Auburn is pro system that doesnt run their qb.

Auburn the past 5 years

2019 -13 games - 397 pass attempts 30.5 per game
2018 - 13 - 382 - 29.3
2017 - 14 - 382 - 27.3
2016 - 13 - 289 - 22.2
2015 - 13 - 306 - 23.5

qb rush attempts
2019 - 13 -133 - 10.3 per game
2018 - 13 - 91 - 7
2017 - 14 -121 - 8.64
2016 - 13 -116 - 8.92
2015 - 13 -79 - 6.07

rushes not involving QB
2019 - 417 rushes - 75.8%
2018 - 421 - 82.2
2017 - 521 - 81.1
2016 - 526 - 81.5
2015 - 507 - 86.5

Scott Frost at Nebraska
2019 - 12 games - 323 pass attempts - 26.9 attempts per game
2018 - 12 - 404 - 33.67

qb rush
2019 - 12 games - 200 rushes - 16.67 per game
2018 - 12 - 163 - 13.58

rushes not involving QB
2019 - 344 rushes - 63.2 %
2018 - 301 - 65%

Now with that said, or written, the discussion was never that Auburn or Va Tech never ran their QBs. They don't run their QBs 15 times per game, like Frost has done at Nebraska. Also something that Frost didn't do when he was the HC at UCF or the OC at Oregon.

Nebraska QB account for 36% of the total rush attempts under Frost. Auburn QBs account for about 18.4%.

So take the info however you want, I stand by my opinion that Davis didn't like the direction the offense at Nebraska was going. He doesn't want to be one of the primary run options in an offense.

Auburn the past 5 years

2018 - 13 - 382 - 29.3
2017 - 14 - 382 - 27.3
2016 - 13 - 289 - 22.2
2015 - 13 - 306 - 23.5

qb rush attempts
2018 - 13 - 91 - 7
2017 - 14 -121 - 8.64
2016 - 13 -116 - 8.92
2015 - 13 -79 - 6.07

rushes not involving QB
2018 - 421 - 82.2
2017 - 521 - 81.1
2016 - 526 - 81.5
2015 - 507 - 86.5

Scott Frost at Nebraska
2018 - 12 - 404 - 33.67

qb rush
2018 - 12 - 163 - 13.58

rushes not involving QB
2018 - 301 - 65%

Now with that said, or written, the discussion was never that Auburn or Va Tech never ran their QBs. They don't run their QBs 15 times per game, like Frost has done at Nebraska. Also something that Frost didn't do when he was the HC at UCF or the OC at Oregon.

Nebraska QB account for 36% of the total rush attempts under Frost. Auburn QBs account for about 18.4%.

So take the info however you want, I stand by my opinion that Davis didn't like the direction the offense at Nebraska was going. He doesn't want to be one of the primary run options in an offense.

come on, not a big deal guys. Obviously, Auburn runs their QBs too, maybe a littles less or a little more. Now I’ll say this much (because honestly I don’t care and not trying to chose sides here), I’m more then confident Auburn at least had a better stable of RBs those 2018-2019 seasons compared to our Huskers, right or wrong? Now put Auburn in our shoes where you only have D Mills and a true Freshman WR in Wandale Robinson splitting time at RB. And your other RBs are true freshmen you want to redshirt and walk on RBs that aren’t very good. Some of that probably makes a difference on the number of times our QB runs it. Just saying.

Now here’s the other part of this, how many QB rushes was by design or what our staff wanted and how many times was it due to Adrain Martinez just choosing to run the ball instead? Maybe Adrain just chooses to run it that often compared to Frosts other QBs or other teams QBs. That also needs considered.

Last edited:
Auburn the past 5 years

2018 - 13 - 382 - 29.3
2017 - 14 - 382 - 27.3
2016 - 13 - 289 - 22.2
2015 - 13 - 306 - 23.5

qb rush attempts
2018 - 13 - 91 - 7
2017 - 14 -121 - 8.64
2016 - 13 -116 - 8.92
2015 - 13 -79 - 6.07

rushes not involving QB
2018 - 421 - 82.2
2017 - 521 - 81.1
2016 - 526 - 81.5
2015 - 507 - 86.5

Scott Frost at Nebraska
2018 - 12 - 404 - 33.67

qb rush
2018 - 12 - 163 - 13.58

rushes not involving QB
2018 - 301 - 65%

Well that may well have been Davis' interpretation of last season but I really believe the issue last year was that our QB couldn't throw the ball accurately, didn't have a stable of running backs or wide receivers either so the QB had to run more. It wasn't the direction that the offense wanted to take but you have make the best of what you can do with what you got at the time.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT