ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive scheme

4-3 D

Athletic Director
Jan 15, 2007
If the rumors about Schumann are correct & I believe they probably are, here's what Rhule has on his mind. He ran a 3-3-5 his last year at Baylor.

Georgia runs a 3-3-5 Nickle based defense that is flexible for any offense they encounter. Their depth chart has 12 positions. Naturally they sub & create different 11 man combinations for the opponent or situation. They use the standard 3 man front and have 4 LB's a Sam, Mac, Jack & Money LB behind them when they are tilted toward run stopping. In passing situations or spread offenses they can pull a LB & a third safety called a Star joins 2 safety's, a field corner and a base corner. Or keep the 4th LB in and blitz. This D gives them speed & lots of flexibility for running teams or passing teams.

The reason I think it might be true, is that Rhule said in one interview he plans to hire someone who excels in the scheme he wants to install. There's a lot of flexibility to this scheme for the different offenses. When the 4 LB's are in, they can cause a lot of confusion with blitz packages or run support. Hope he gets it done.

Last edited:
We better have 3 absolute beasts on the DL. And some LB's that can flat out run and get off of blocks. I realize that you can dial down into a 50 front or slide to a 40 but those 3 dudes up front are going to have to be absolute studs to handle the OL's in the Big 10.

The other way to play the 33 front is to get a bunch of lightning quick dudes and stunt and blitz all game long. Live by the sword die by the sword kind of defense.

If the rumors about Schumann are correct & I believe they probably are, here's what Rhule has on his mind.
One of the reasons I was interested in us hiring their OC Todd Monken as our head coach was the idea that his time at Georgia would pay dividends in recruiting. Getting their DC would be a coup. Get the Jimmies and Joes and you can run whatever scheme you want. Chin had a similar defensive philosophy but couldn’t make it work by the way he lined them up and called it. Implementation is right up there with scheme in importance. That is one of the reasons I appreciate what Busch was able to do taking over Chin’s scheme in midstream.

We better have 3 absolute beasts on the DL. And some LB's that can flat out run and get off of blocks. I realize that you can dial down into a 50 front or slide to a 40 but those 3 dudes up front are going to have to be absolute studs to handle the OL's in the Big 10.

The other way to play the 33 front is to get a bunch of lightning quick dudes and stunt and blitz all game long. Live by the sword die by the sword kind of defense.
We'll need bigger linebackers (230 minimum), while not compromising speed. This is gonna be fun.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Frankly the best thing illinois did this year was give everyone a blueprint on how to compete on D in the B1G when you don’t have standouts in the front 7:

Make these terrible B1G quarterbacks beat you for 60 minutes. 9 in the box, safety 15 yards deep, press man coverage & heat it up

Not rocket science

ADVERTISEMENT