ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive position battles

ReuniteGondwanaland

Blackshirt
Sep 8, 2010
Sounds like the three tightest position battles on defense are CB opposite Davie, Safety across from Gerry, and WLB. Plus obviously Kevin Williams fighting for co-starter at DT with Collins and Valentine.

Reports out of camp make it sound like Kalu is the early leader at cornerback, Gerry said he's right there with Davie as a cover corner and if we're going to put the CBs out there 1-on-1 without much help then pure cover skills are probably as important as anything.

Bray seemed to be saying that Newby was really good against the run, Gifford against the pass, but that Young was solid against either. Hoping based on that that Young gets comfortable enough with the defense to take over as starter.

Any guesses on safety? I thought Jackson would be the man there, but the coaches have been pretty muted in what they've said about him so far. Cockrell's such a versatile talent he's a nice fit at nickel but if we're not going to use the nickel much, he should be out there somewhere. Kieron Williams was a pleasant surprise last year. Aaron Williams started for the Red team in the spring game and apparently has continued to improve.

What else is out there for the open starting positions, plus the leader for first DE in after McMullen and Gangwish?

I really like Kalu at CB, but I'm expecting to hear a lot about Trai Mosley. I think he's going to really push for a starting roll.

Competition?

images

After McMullen and Gangwish we are pretty thin, but I think the staff is expecting Fredom Akinmoladin to make a impact. Also Payton Newton and not counting the Davis twins out yet either.

Who knows if Joe Keels and AJ Natter will ever amount to anything.

After McMullen and Gangwish we are pretty thin, but I think the staff is expecting Fredom Akinmoladin to make a impact. Also Payton Newton and not counting the Davis twins out yet either.

Who knows if Joe Keels and AJ Natter will ever amount to anything.

Daishon Neal showed up at 270, and the coaches have said it's pretty much good weight. I think he may be in the mix too. If he can show some pass rushing talent, we've played guys on third down before that didn't know much about the defense other than "go get the QB".

Neither McMullen nor Gangwish strike me as guys who will ever be described as edge rushers. If that isn't in Freedom's skill set either I hope we can find somebody who can do that. Neal might. Of course, Alex Davis might too, even if he's too raw to do anything else except play 3d down rusher in 2015.

McKewon on Neal -- "DaiShon Neal is one of the better-looking true freshmen NU has had in some time. If he develops under coach Hank Hughes’ tutelage, that’s a potentially impressive guy."

Daishon Neal showed up at 270, and the coaches have said it's pretty much good weight. I think he may be in the mix too. If he can show some pass rushing talent, we've played guys on third down before that didn't know much about the defense other than "go get the QB".

Neither McMullen nor Gangwish strike me as guys who will ever be described as edge rushers. If that isn't in Freedom's skill set either I hope we can find somebody who can do that. Neal might. Of course, Alex Davis might too, even if he's too raw to do anything else except play 3d down rusher in 2015.

McKewon on Neal -- "DaiShon Neal is one of the better-looking true freshmen NU has had in some time. If he develops under coach Hank Hughes’ tutelage, that’s a potentially impressive guy."

Agreed, if Neal came in with that weight he would be a big+, Freedom seems athletic so hopefully he will show us something.

Reading comments from players and articles; it is constantly brought up that player rotation will be a big thing. The D line seemed convinced of this and Freedom's name came up multiple times. With one young lb a converted safety, he could be a role player when they would prefer not to go with the nickel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT