ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Formations Comparison

Chaz in SoCal

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 15, 2014
We hear about change in defensive philosophy. That Bo liked two-high a lot while it sounds like Banker's base defense is quarters.

I want to be able to recognize the differences but I'm not positive I'm able to see them yet.

Here's a couple shots from last year's spring game. First from the opening series (when Tommy threw the INT to Gerry)...

ScreenShot2014-04-12at40825PM.png

Now that looks like what I understand to be pretty clearly "2-high" -- the two safeties splitting the field. Can't speak to what the rest of everybody is doing.

Here's a little later in the second quarter from last year. Defensive formation looks different this time -- more like what I thought Banker was bringing in...

ScreenShot2014-04-12at51343PM.png

Looks like both corners are playing press coverage with the two safeties still in their "2-high" positions. Linebackers lined up differently, however -- I assume because it's a two TE set and they need numbers in the box.

Now here's a shot from this year's spring game (actually the Gates/Whitaker thread)...

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-18%20at%209.46.50%20PM.png

I see man to man press coverage up top with something like 3/4 of the 4 quarters from the two safeties and other corner. I see compared to last year the two safeties are much further apart, the SS (is that $?) even outside the hash. So is THIS the base defense Banker is talking about?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News