ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Adjustments

TightlineHF

Dec 14, 2014
Would appreciate if some of you with high football IQs would summarize the adjustments that Diaco made in the second half? I saw that Antonio Reed was playing, but did not stop to see if he in replacement of Kalu or whether we sat an LB and replaced with a DB.

My cousin's uncle's son made up a story about iaco spending the whole second quarter making adjustments up in the booth while the players on the field called the plays for the D and then iaco told the team at halftime what the adjustments were.

Sorry, I have no high football IQ to actually answer your question.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Would appreciate if some of you with high football IQs would summarize the adjustments that Diaco made in the second half? I saw that Antonio Reed was playing, but did not stop to see if he in replacement of Kalu or whether we sat an LB and replaced with a DB.
I saw Bootle, Reed, and Kieron Williams out there in the second half, and even Dismuke. I think we were in a nickel on 3rd and long situations but we were still in 3-4 a majority of the time.

That leaves just about everybody on this board out.Winking You almost have to have the coach's video to effectively analyze what we were doing. We've had some guys in the past that were very good at that but they're either over on RSS or disgusted with the boards and left entirely.

I rewatched the game on the defensive side of the ball and it just confirmed what I felt the first time. Oregon was able to move the ball on us quite easily in the 3rd quarter, but their drives ended due to their own mistakes. We didn't change much at all on defense in the second half. We were in base 3-4 for 90% of the snaps and only came out of base in 3rd and long situations. We mixed 2 high and cover 1 looks just like we did in the first half and got burned on both. They were 4 for 7 with 2 drops and a bungled play that resulted in an interception. Even so, they averaged 7.5 yards per play on passes in the third quarter. Here's a recap of the 2nd half:

1st drive: First play short run up the middle. Second play wide open screen on 2 receiver side with high low coverage goes for 8 yards. 3rd and short run gets stuffed. Punt.

2nd drive: First play Freeman gets to the edge easily for a first down, Newby was sucked in. 2nd play looked like a busted run-pass option play. Only 1 receiver running a route and qb forces the throw for an interception

3rd drive: Freeman is able to easily get to the edge on 3 first down runs. Plenty of holes in Cover 2 shell defense as a 38 yard pass completion is made. The play after this, receivers are open all over the field, but qb checks down for 6 yard completion. Next play, Bootle makes a great play on the screen pass for no gain. On 3rd down, the drag route is wide open but the receiver drops it. On 4th down, Diaco brings pressure. Qb throws it against single man coverage on Weber but receiver drops it. Drive ends at Neb 31 yard line.

4th quarter:

1st drive (starts out inside Neb 31 yard line as Tanner Lee throws a pic):
Qb fumbles snap for 1 yard loss, 2nd play Freeman 4 yard run. 3rd play qb makes low percentage throw to sideline as crossing route is getting open. Missed FG

I'm not going to go over the other plays because they were just trying to run out the clock. If Oregon had even a halfway decent kicker they should have been able to at least get 2 field goals in the second half. We were lucky we were even in the game because we had a lot of things go our way. After Jackson's pass interference call and interception, he inexplicably drops the ball in the end zone. There's no dead ball on DPI is there? We got Pierson-El's muffed punt back. We recovered Royce Freeman's fumble at the end of the 4th quarter. If these things don't go our way, we would never even be close in the game and Oregon missed a lot of opportunities to put away the game.

On the positive side, I don't think our defense played quite as bad in the first half as I originally thought. Oregon's qb was right on the money on a lot of throws and they made great plays.

I rewatched the game on the defensive side of the ball and it just confirmed what I felt the first time. Oregon was able to move the ball on us quite easily in the 3rd quarter, but their drives ended due to their own mistakes. We didn't change much at all on defense in the second half. We were in base 3-4 for 90% of the snaps and only came out of base in 3rd and long situations. We mixed 2 high and cover 1 looks just like we did in the first half and got burned on both. They were 4 for 7 with 2 drops and a bungled play that resulted in an interception. Even so, they averaged 7.5 yards per play on passes in the third quarter. Here's a recap of the 2nd half:

1st drive: First play short run up the middle. Second play wide open screen on 2 receiver side with high low coverage goes for 8 yards. 3rd and short run gets stuffed. Punt.

2nd drive: First play Freeman gets to the edge easily for a first down, Newby was sucked in. 2nd play looked like a busted run-pass option play. Only 1 receiver running a route and qb forces the throw for an interception

3rd drive: Freeman is able to easily get to the edge on 3 first down runs. Plenty of holes in Cover 2 shell defense as a 38 yard pass completion is made. The play after this, receivers are open all over the field, but qb checks down for 6 yard completion. Next play, Bootle makes a great play on the screen pass for no gain. On 3rd down, the drag route is wide open but the receiver drops it. On 4th down, Diaco brings pressure. Qb throws it against single man coverage on Weber but receiver drops it. Drive ends at Neb 31 yard line.

4th quarter:

1st drive (starts out inside Neb 31 yard line as Tanner Lee throws a pic):
Qb fumbles snap for 1 yard loss, 2nd play Freeman 4 yard run. 3rd play qb makes low percentage throw to sideline as crossing route is getting open. Missed FG

I'm not going to go over the other plays because they were just trying to run out the clock. If Oregon had even a halfway decent kicker they should have been able to at least get 2 field goals in the second half. We were lucky we were even in the game because we had a lot of things go our way. After Jackson's pass interference call and interception, he inexplicably drops the ball in the end zone. There's no dead ball on DPI is there? We got Pierson-El's muffed punt back. We recovered Royce Freeman's fumble at the end of the 4th quarter. If these things don't go our way, we would never even be close in the game and Oregon missed a lot of opportunities to put away the game.
Thanks for the recap. Good info.

We did have some things go our way, but don't forget the things that went oregon's way in the first half... the ricochet off of Morgan's face mask right into the DB's hands and the 3 down play our DB was ready for the stop well short of the first, but the Oregon receiver couldn't catch it and it goes to the other receiver for a first down and eventual touchdown a few plays later. At best they get a field goal out of that if the original receiver caught it.

Breaks go both ways...

Reactions: dinglefritz
So if both teams play to their potential for all 4 quarters what would the end result be?

I think it would end up 42-35! Just a little more speed on the Ducks team giving them the advantage.....

If these things don't go our way, we would never even be close in the game and Oregon missed a lot of opportunities to put away the game.

They make mistakes, we make mistakes. We had plenty that didn't go our way in that game as well.

Thanks for the recap. Good info.

We did have some things go our way, but don't forget the things that went oregon's way in the first half... the ricochet off of Morgan's face mask right into the DB's hands and the 3 down play our DB was ready for the stop well short of the first, but the Oregon receiver couldn't catch it and it goes to the other receiver for a first down and eventual touchdown a few plays later. At best they get a field goal out of that if the original receiver caught it.

Breaks go both ways...
That's true. My post probably came off more negative than I attended. A lot of things went Oregon's way in the first half. Diaco doesn't seem the type of guy to make a ton of adjustments during the game. Maybe that's a good thing as most coaches like to change things up even when things are working.

Reactions: timnsun

Wow, talk about seeing what you want to see. How about the 3rd and 17 pas that bounces off their receiver 10 yards short of the first down, is caught by another receiver and run for a first down. How about our first offensive play, where a well thrown ball is turned into an interception, after a similar jump ball resulted in an Oregon TD the play before. How about a false start by a WR taking away a 4th down conversion after a weak spot took away a first down the play before.

For the majority of the game, Oregon had everything going their way

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT