Defense... it's a matter of focus.

cruelhalo

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 27, 2003
1) Solid experience.
2) Strong depth.
3) Mentally and physically stronger.
4) Better understanding of the schemes.

I believe the success of the defense will be tied to chemisty, focus and the intestinal fortitude to pick themselves up off the mat after getting punched in the face and re-establishing some dominance.

Who wants to provide some commentary as to why the defense will or will not be better this year?

abc4e00b2d8efd07604dc6253e71bd63.jpg

e93f1eab3ade9f5b51e4a2c280d9e1ab.jpg

1) Solid experience.
2) Strong depth.

I believe the success of the defense will be tied to chemisty, focus and the intestinal fortitude to pick themselves up off the mat after getting punched in the face and re-establishing some dominance.

Who wants to provide some commentary as to why the defense will or will not be better this year?

The success of the defense will also be tied to the situations the offense leaves them in. If there are a lot of turnovers and mistakes by the offense that obviously puts a defense in a big hole. On the other hand if the offense can put together sustained drives that give the defense some rest, then that would be a plus factor making them look better.

1) Solid experience.
2) Strong depth.

I lost focus, can you repeat that

Reactions: poundth3rock
The success of the defense will also be tied to the situations the offense leaves them in. If there are a lot of turnovers and mistakes by the offense that obviously puts a defense in a big hole. On the other hand if the offense can put together sustained drives that give the defense some rest, then that would be a plus factor making them look better.
True. And special teams.

Athletes, very good.

Athletes put in the position to make plays.

Athletes making plays using their natural abilities.

I think our defense is good and has been improving. But I wonder if some of the expectations are unreasonably high. They are not a top unit yet, just seems that way compared to how atrocious some of our previous defenses were. Hope they continue to improve even further.

I think our defense is good and has been improving. But I wonder if some of the expectations are unreasonably high. They are not a top unit yet, just seems that way compared to how atrocious some of our previous defenses were. Hope they continue to improve even further.
Agree. Logic points to them being a little better and they have steadily improved over the last few years.

However we have yet to see game changing play from the secondary or pass rush spots. So "solid" also feels like the ceiling for them unless somebody emerges who can threaten QBs.

we have yet to see game changing play from the secondary or pass rush spots
It seems as the 3rd and long or 4th and long situation is where those two positions break down the most. Not sure if it is personnel, scheme or both but if you fix one of those positions, the other will generally excel. Fix both of those positions and the defense can be lethal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT