ADVERTISEMENT

Dedrick Mills arrested on the 14th

18 year old may have issues but at 21 he should have straightened them out. He'd be a bad influence on the 17 and 18 year old's trying to learn the game.

But the bible says forgive 70*70. Shouldn't we allow 4,900 mistakes?

Allowing doesn’t mean the same thing to all people. If he has an on going issue, if the staff can get resources to help him get it fixed, as well as anyone can, then consider him strongly. If this means keep doing it and pushing him through for the on field only, nope. Allow him to find a place to help him get over what is happening off the field.

I’m sure there are many here so willing to win that the ends justify the means no matter what, just not in the group.

18 year old may have issues but at 21 he should have straightened them out. He'd be a bad influence on the 17 and 18 year old's trying to learn the game.

Damn right! How does this kid not have life completely figured out by 21? I highly recommend implementing an Orwellian policy of some sort that puts kids to death if they don't have it figured out by 21. Scoundrels I tell you..

I would worry about his influence on the locker room. But I’m pretty sure Frost and Walters rule with a heavy hand and won’t let it get out of control.

Pretty sure we have had a coach drink and drive multiple times, get caught multiple times, which means they D and D ALL THE TIME, and then coach continues to coach, and people love him because he can recruit and then for some reason his position group lack discipline and suxs balls and then he is the last one that people want fired and then we get a new coach and the same kids end up being some of the top in the country for pass breakups. Just sayin...we are pretty forgiving to grown ass men, maybe ignorance, or we just like good football. So I'll say it...we have one back with experience...Mills and his suspended license can come to NU...I'll even give him a gun charge or D and D...

For the keep giving a chance crowd on here, if he hasn’t figured it out yet and continues to get chances what can he do that will in your opinion be the last failed poor decision? If he has an issue with driving and with drinking or other drugs, seems like football might not be the first priority for Mr. Mills to work on.

If he comes to Nebraska, I hope he has things figured out. But if he hasn’t learned and fixed himself, find a place where you can. I’m all for helping players with second chances, I have had a few I’ve helped over the years as a coach who have been able to get right and go forward. Some even helped into college sports. I’ve also had a few who didn’t learn in time.

Due diligence please by all involved.

Is there a link that shows he was ticketed with DUI? Maybe he just drives fast and had too many speeding tickets, or had a reckless driving violation.

Here is a list of things that can get your license suspended.

1. Refusal to take a chemical test in conjunction with an arrest for DUI.
  2. Conviction for driving without insurance.
  3. Conviction for driving while suspended.
  4. Failure to appear in court or respond to a traffic citation, your license may be suspended indefinitely.
  5. Any felony that involved the use of a motor vehicle.
  6. You have accumulated 15 points within 24 months including violations committed out of state.
  7. A conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
So it could have been that he had a speeding ticket that he didn't take care of, they suspended his license, he continued to drive in Kansas, and got pulled over.

For the keep giving a chance crowd on here, if he hasn’t figured it out yet and continues to get chances what can he do that will in your opinion be the last failed poor decision? If he has an issue with driving and with drinking or other drugs, seems like football might not be the first priority for Mr. Mills to work on.

If he comes to Nebraska, I hope he has things figured out. But if he hasn’t learned and fixed himself, find a place where you can. I’m all for helping players with second chances, I have had a few I’ve helped over the years as a coach who have been able to get right and go forward. Some even helped into college sports. I’ve also had a few who didn’t learn in time.

Due diligence please by all involved.

Rape
Armed robbery
Murder
Performance enhancement
Or clear violation of team rules.

I have a hard time understanding how the kid cannot have enough credits to graduate from a JUCO. Unless I am mistaken he was at Georgia Tech at least a semester, maybe two and at Garden City for a year and a half, one of those he was injured and didn't play the entire year.

This kid, pure and simple, needs to take care of business, all of it. It all reflects on his ability to manage HIS life and do the right things in order to be successful.

No, shit. Maybe he just needs more structure? Get off my lawn!!!

Since when is being a Husker Football Player a Right & not a Privilege.

You do not have to have it all figured out to be on the Husker football team but you do need to follow the rules just like the other 150 other players. There are still consequences even after forgiveness.

Bottom line is its up to Frost and it will all fall on him.

Reactions: red scowl
Bunch
Since when is being a Husker Football Player a Right & not a Privilege.

You do not have to have it all figured out to be on the Husker football team but you do need to follow the rules just like the other 150 other players. There are still consequences even after forgiveness.

Bottom line is its up to Frost and it will all fall on him.

Alot of judgment on here like a bunch of old ladies. I was in Iraq at his age, but I was smoking bud and getting drunk whenever I could. He needs to mature. That doesn't make him a bad young man.

Edit: that's not for you bomber

Bunch

Alot of judgment on here like a bunch of old ladies. I was in Iraq at his age, but I was smoking bud and getting drunk whenever I could. He needs to mature. That doesn't make him a bad young man.

You are right, never said he is a bad young man. I don't think he is a bad man. I think he is a young man who probably has never had the right way shown to him and probably has had to figure it out all by himself. That comes with some failures along the way, I get that. Just because you fail does not make you a bad person, it does mean you have made some bad decisions & sometimes the people who are in charge have to make decisions too. I wish him the best.

Reactions: red scowl
You are right, never said he is a bad young man. I don't think he is a bad man. I think he is a young man who probably has never had the right way shown to him and probably has had to figure it out all by himself. That comes with some failures along the way, I get that. Just because you fail does not make you a bad person, it does mean you have made some bad decisions & sometimes the people who are in charge have to make decisions too. I wish him the best.

I edited my post to say it was not directed at you, but you had already seen it. I shouldn't have quoted you. I have no problem with what you said.

If Frost and Moos allow him to sign, great. If not, great. He's a good back.

Reactions: bomber89
Is there a link that shows he was ticketed with DUI? Maybe he just drives fast and had too many speeding tickets, or had a reckless driving violation.

4. Failure to appear in court or respond to a traffic citation, your license may be suspended indefinitely.
  6. You have accumulated 15 points within 24 months including violations committed out of state.
So it could have been that he had a speeding ticket that he didn't take care of, they suspended his license, he continued to drive in Kansas, and got pulled over.
Well he didn't get suspended from Georgia Tech for unpaid speeding tickets and he doesn't seem to have a felony record that we know of so.......... I'll let Frost figure it out. It would appear that Frost has slowed things down with him so we'll see what happens. So far Frost and his staff seem to have been pretty good at judging the character of the kids they've brought in.

Well he didn't get suspended from Georgia Tech for unpaid speeding tickets and he doesn't seem to have a felony record that we know of so.......... I'll let Frost figure it out. It would appear that Frost has slowed things down with him so we'll see what happens. So far Frost and his staff seem to have been pretty good at judging the character of the kids they've brought in.

What are the signs that the staff has slowed things down? I read a lot of stuff, so far all I see is speculation.

The staff is not able to comment on recruits that have yet to sign a LOI. So I think the speculation that things have slowed down with Mills comes down to the fact that he hasn't yet signed even though NU staff had planned for him to be in pocket for Spring. Sam M has referred to Mills as an elusive interview.

Reactions: saluno22
I don't even recall what Morgan's "incident" was but to compare his apparently singular "incident" to Mills failure to appear in two different states, having a suspended license and who knows what else is a bit misleading.

The other comment that "A lot of 21 year olds struggle with this" (decision making) while it is true to an extent, I am not certain what 'a lot" is and we seem to have a pretty good track record going on right now with this group we have on campus. One time is understandable to a degree, more than that is a pattern and throw in some of the other stuff we don't even know about.

Then ask yourself a question, if you were securing him for your company and to be a representative of it, would you do it? I am not saying either way, the coaches will have access to more information than we do so that is on them but I learned a long time ago when bringing people on board to not ignore red flags.
He's a kid. Kids make mistakes. Once he gets to Lincoln you set him up with Uber and make sure he isnt driving any more. If you've ever seen last chance u these kids are not coming from stellar backgrounds. TO made a career out of giving guys 2nd chances. Were there times when guys didnt deserve them? Sure. But he did it anyway because he felt it was the right thing to do for the young men. I trust Frost will do the same.

He's a kid. Kids make mistakes. Once he gets to Lincoln you set him up with Uber and make sure he isnt driving any more. If you've ever seen last chance u these kids are not coming from stellar backgrounds. TO made a career out of giving guys 2nd chances. Were there times when guys didnt deserve them? Sure. But he did it anyway because he felt it was the right thing to do for the young men. I trust Frost will do the same.

Well, as someone who has worked with youth/teens for the last 35 years I understand and fully appreciate the circumstances that many come from.

Obviously, coach Frost and his staff will make the final decision and I would suspect it would involve more than just setting up an Uber account. I assume, that would likely violate some NCAA rules. I can't see anything less than some things written down, expectations on both sides and consequences and lots of follow up.

What do we know? He failed to appear in court in two states. He was driving on a suspended license. He was removed from the Georgia Tech team for multiple failed drug tests. Obviously, something (s) led to the loss of the license. We also know he didn't take care of his academic responsibilities.

I am sure (as much as one can be on a message board) the coaches will want to know how much of a support team/system was already in place at both institutions and did he utilize them?

There are no simple answers to this one although some want to make it seem that way. There are a lot of unknowns for certain. I do know, as a coach/leader I want high character people I can depend on as part of my team.

Last edited:

Nope, can't allow a guy in his 20s a chance to learn from his mistakes. These perfect people say so.

People, it's a failure to appear, not f'ing murder!! TO allowed at risk kids on the team, and a lot of them got straightened out. I feel Frost can/will do the same.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Yeah all of you could probably calm the hell down about his missed court date for a traffic violation.

Is it the smartest thing anyone has ever done? It is not. Is he a menace to society? No.

The bigger issue is that he didn't make grades. If he can't get it done off the field at community college that's a concern. Can't play if you're not academically eligible.

I really hope he gets it all sorted. Kid is a nasty runner.

Really if you read any local paper you usually see a failure to appear and bench warrant out for arrest, then the next time you read charges were dropped on failure to appear and pays the past fines, basically your lawyer pleaded with the county attorney, remember most counties don't want the expense of a court trial. I personally don't think it a big deal what happened to mills

Not looking good for a spring arrival.
Not the ideal situation...but he is a vet and can brought along as the yr goes on. Rbs are easy to use in packages as he learns the playbook. Much needed big back to go with our young mult purpose backs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT