ADVERTISEMENT

Deandre Johnson dismissed from FSU

I think I will let this all play out in the courts. I'm betting that the authorities see what I saw. If Jimbo "Winston can do no wrong" Fisher dismisses Johnson from the team then it must be an opened and closed case. To be fair, he'll get his day in court. They'll play that video. They'll reach a verdict. Yeah, I bet that De'Andre makes a plea deal to avoid jail time.

I think I will let this all play out in the courts. I'm betting that the authorities see what I saw. If Jimbo "Winston can do no wrong" Fisher dismisses Johnson from the team then it must be an opened and closed case. To be fair, he'll get his day in court. They'll play that video. They'll reach a verdict. Yeah, I bet that De'Andre makes a plea deal to avoid jail time.
Why would you plea when this was self defense...allegedly?

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Why would you plea when this was self defense...allegedly?

He will plea because the video is so damning. He won't have much choice. His lawyer will talk a lot to try and sway public opinion. I personally don't think it will matter in the end. It wasn't self defense. He admitted it. It's not like the tight glove defense here. The video speaks for itself.

I wonder what everyone would say if he'd have hit a scrawny 130 lb weakling man? Would they have said he had it coming for taking the first swing?
Not excusing Johnson, but a lot of this "don't hit women" stuff seems sexist. Just don't go around hitting anybody.

This is a really weird issue for people to cry sexism and equality on.

He will plea because the video is so damning. He won't have much choice. His lawyer will talk a lot to try and sway public opinion. I personally don't think it will matter in the end. It wasn't self defense. He admitted it. It's not like the tight glove defense here. The video speaks for itself.
Nobody is saying that he shouldn't get into trouble. Nobody is saying that he should have hit her back or that he had any right to hit her back. What people are saying is that she should get charged for assault as well. Why is this so hard for some people to grasp? Can both parties not be at fault and get into trouble?

Reactions: TheBeav815
Nobody is saying that he shouldn't get into trouble. Nobody is saying that he should have hit her back or that he had any right to hit her back. What people are saying is that she should get charged for assault as well. Why is this so hard for some people to grasp? Can both parties not be at fault and get into trouble?

Hey, I respect you HuskerO. Don't use "Why is this so hard for some people to grasp?" comment to talk down to me. I'm entitled to my opinion and that is that she was standing up for herself from a bully. Obviously, he either wasn't raised having been taught proper manners or he was and forgot all about them. I hope for the latter and he's just being a jerk. That's why he pleas and this becomes a misdemeanor with no jail time. He can really eff his life up here if he doesn't own up to it.

Why should he get in trouble if she were to get charged for assault? If she really assaulted him to the point of being charged with a crime, the law is on his side.

1. There must be self-defense. That is generally stated as "a person under an imminent threat of physical violence can act to prevent being harmed."

2. There must be a proportional response. Again, "Self defense also only allows for a proportional response. This means that if someone hits you with his fist, you may not necessarily be justified in pulling out a gun and shooting him."

If she is charged, then he gets off. I don't see how you could charge both of them in this situation. The reality is that she shouldn't get charged. It would be a completely ridiculous case to argue in court.

Hey, I respect you HuskerO. Don't use "Why is this so hard for some people to grasp?" comment to talk down to me. I'm entitled to my opinion and that is that she was standing up for herself from a bully. Obviously, he either wasn't raised having been taught proper manners or he was and forgot all about them. I hope for the latter and he's just being a jerk. That's why he pleas and this becomes a misdemeanor with no jail time. He can really eff his life up here if he doesn't own up to it.
I respect you as well so that wasn't my intention to talk down to you (or to anyone else) and after reading my post again I can see how that sentence came off in poor taste. My apologies.

I guess we must be seeing something different in the video. I just don't see where he's being a bully (up until he socked her). I see it as he's trying to get to the bar, he's trying to squeeze through and she's getting annoyed with it, she turns around with annoyance, not very nice words are exchanged. She pops him in the nose and he cold clocks her.

She shouldn't have popped him in the nose (assault) and he most definitely shouldn't have tried to knock her into tomorrow (assault).

Most likely you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I respect you as well so that wasn't my intention to talk down to you (or to anyone else) and after reading my post again I can see how that sentence came off in poor taste. My apologies.

I guess we must be seeing something different in the video. I just don't see where he's being a bully (up until he socked her). I see it as he's trying to get to the bar, he's trying to squeeze through and she's getting annoyed with it, she turns around with annoyance, not very nice words are exchanged. She pops him in the nose and he cold clocks her.

She shouldn't have popped him in the nose (assault) and he most definitely shouldn't have tried to knock her into tomorrow (assault).

Most likely you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

We're cool. I see a big athletic dude pushing his way towards the front. She was at the front when he laid hands on her. It set her off and she turned to stare him down and tell him so. He makes it next to her and she's in a defensive posture regardless of the raised fist. He's trying to intimidate her and she's not having any of it. She raises her knee to keep some distance from him. She takes a swing after he grabs her fist and starts holding her at arms length. It's pretty much a whiff and then he clocks her. I've watched it many times and you can see the body language. He's bigger. He's taller. He's stronger. He's pretty much saying I can do whatever I want. So, she tries to stand up to him and he bullies her some more. Reminds me of the "I can't believe you're hitting yourself!" crap.

Why should he get in trouble if she were to get charged for assault? If she really assaulted him to the point of being charged with a crime, the law is on his side.

1. There must be self-defense. That is generally stated as "a person under an imminent threat of physical violence can act to prevent being harmed."

2. There must be a proportional response. Again, "Self defense also only allows for a proportional response. This means that if someone hits you with his fist, you may not necessarily be justified in pulling out a gun and shooting him."

If she is charged, then he gets off. I don't see how you could charge both of them in this situation. The reality is that she shouldn't get charged. It would be a completely ridiculous case to argue in court.
I'm not familiar with the law in a case like this, but is there a limit to self-defense? I mean obviously there is and you used the example not justifying being able to pull out a gun, but is he justified going Mike Tyson on her? Whether him pulling out a gun in self-defense or punching her in the face in self-defense, neither one is acceptable in my opinion from what I saw.

But he did punch her so from the video evidence I saw, in my own personal opinion if I were judge and jury, Deandre Johnson's retaliation by a full blown punch to the face would not fly in my court after him getting punched in the nose by a female who really carried no threat to him even if she were convicted and charged with assault.

I'm not familiar with the law in a case like this, but is there a limit to self-defense? I mean obviously there is and you used the example not justifying being able to pull out a gun, but is he justified going Mike Tyson on her? Whether him pulling out a gun in self-defense or punching her in the face in self-defense, neither one is acceptable in my opinion from what I saw.

But he did punch her so from the video evidence I saw, in my own personal opinion if I were judge and jury, Deandre Johnson's retaliation by a full blown punch to the face would not fly in my court after him getting punched in the nose by a female who really carried no threat to him even if she were convicted and charged with assault.
She threw a punch and he threw a punch. I'm guessing case law would see these two things as proportional. If it is assault by her, the issue of self-defense is whether he thought he could be harmed. If we call her action assault, of course he could be harmed.

This is why it is ridiculous to charge her.

So when would he have a right to defend himself? After she gives him a bloody nose? Maybe after she decides her punches aren't having the desired effect and goes all girl-cat-fight on him and claws him, potentially injuring one of his eyes ending any sort of sports future physically; in your invalid legal opinion completely not based on the any sort of law whatsoever just because she is female?

Sitting at your computer it is easy to float the idea that she "really carried no threat to him" but do you think in that setting in that situation he'd be capable of recognizing that even if it were true?

Your post is a perfect example of why the legal system is completely broken.

She threw a punch and he threw a punch. I'm guessing case law would see these two things as proportional. If it is assault by her, the issue of self-defense is whether he thought he could be harmed. If we call her action assault, of course he could be harmed.

This is why it is ridiculous to charge her.

So your idea for self defense is to wait and see if the strikes another person are throwing are physically painful enough to reach some imaginary threshold which would then give the green light for a person to defend themselves against those strikes?

I'm all for equal rights, but when it comes to hitting women it is not equal. Real men don't hit women. Only in self-defense. He didn't need to pop her to defend himself.

Is there anything else that makes a "real man?"

It doesn't seem sexist. It is sexist. And I'm all for it.

You're for it all the time right? Like when women are overcharged at a mechanics shop? Or like how if a woman gets raped people assume she was asking for it based on the clothing she was wearing?

Well.....

1. It is pretty rare for both people to get charged in an incident even if there is some back and forth.
2. The DA may have determined that all of her physical violence towards him (most of which never made contact) stemmed from him forcefully grabbing her wrist and refusing to let go, even though she screamed for him to stop, which is wholly consistent with the video. Charging her may have been determined to be a waste of time.

She had it coming???
you left out the "probably" part my man.. and yeah, I think she probably did have it coming based on what I saw in the vid.. He shouldn't have hit her, but in some respects, women want it both ways.. Equal this and equal that.. Let me try to put it this way.. if you could imagine both of these retarded people as Unisex beings (taking gender out of it) and then watch what happened through that type of looking glass, I don't think people would be so upset that the aggressor got what was coming to them.

So your idea for self defense is to wait and see if the strikes another person are throwing are physically painful enough to reach some imaginary threshold which would then give the green light for a person to defend themselves against those strikes?

He didn't need to defend himself, she was no threat. He could have easily laughed and walked away, he chose to drill her instead.

So when would he have a right to defend himself? After she gives him a bloody nose? Maybe after she decides her punches aren't having the desired effect and goes all girl-cat-fight on him and claws him, potentially injuring one of his eyes ending any sort of sports future physically; in your invalid legal opinion completely not based on the any sort of law whatsoever just because she is female?

Sitting at your computer it is easy to float the idea that she "really carried no threat to him" but do you think in that setting in that situation he'd be capable of recognizing that even if it were true?

Your post is a perfect example of why the legal system is completely broken.
You unwarrently went off on your post and you completely missed my point. I feel that she should be charged with assault. I also believe he should be charged with assault as well because he didn't need to clock her like he did. He could have easily walked away and talked to management or call the police to report an assault.

Well.....

1. It is pretty rare for both people to get charged in an incident even if there is some back and forth.
2. The DA may have determined that all of her physical violence towards him (most of which never made contact) stemmed from him forcefully grabbing her wrist and refusing to let go, even though she screamed for him to stop, which is wholly consistent with the video. Charging her may have been determined to be a waste of time.
I just don't know how common it is for 2 parties in a fight to both get charged, but good to know. After watching the video again it looked like she had her right hand cocked back in a fist ready to strike (I really see no debate in that part of the video). He grabbed her wrist and didn't let go so she wouldn't hit him.

I just don't know how common it is for 2 parties in a fight to both get charged, but good to know. After watching the video again it looked like she had her right hand cocked back in a fist ready to strike (I really see no debate in that part of the video). He grabbed her wrist and didn't let go so she wouldn't hit him.

I don't see her fist being clenched as a reasonable justification for putting hands on her. He likely grabbed her wrist thinking she was going to hit him, but no one knows if she would have actually hit him. I can see him wanting to de-escalate the situation, but grabbing her probably wasn't the best play there.

Fwiw, the charging both parties info came from a Florida attorney.

At least Jimbo Fisher has learned from his mistakes he made with Jameis Winston and isn't going to stand for that again. You never hit a girl even if she's a bihh and hits you. You walk away.

Can you imagine what Fisher was thinking when he got the call of what his starting QB just did and after all the calls he got with Winston?

At least Jameis Winston never smacked a girl in the face. At least JW now states that he is humbled and humiliated by his old actions. A man who punches a girl can't be fixed. It's not like stealing crab legs or something dumb. You learn at an early age that is a no-no. Hope this kid never plays meaningful football again, POS.
So you think he would have booted Winston if it happened a couple months ago? I doubt it. Heisman caliber talent has a way of altering those decisions. Lawrence Phillips is our example.

I know I said I would bow out yesterday, and I should probably stay away because this stuff makes my blood boil but I did have another chance to look at the video and sleep on it, and I still don't understand how anyone could hold her so much as one tenth of one percent responsible for this. I just don't get it. What I missed yesterday when I saw the video, is that he physically grabbed and attempted to subdue her, after shoving his way forward and into her, before she ever raised a fist. By the time she raised a fist, he had physically bullied her several times, laying his hands on her first, last of which was in the form of restraining her with his hands. She didn't attempt to raise a fist until several physical actions came from him first. He laid his hands on her first and was trying to over power her by the time she retaliated. I don't get how anyone could see all that, and defend what he did.

Now having said all that, I admit this is a hot button issue for me. Everyone has their hot button issues, this is mine. I believe unless your life is in danger, or said woman has a weapon of sorts, you just don't hit women. It's not negotiable for me. I also bet he is going to apologize and admit 100% fault, and I am all for second chances and I hope he gets one some day somewhere. I don't want to see his life ruined by this.

Reactions: arf_man
Probably not the best decision
I don't see her fist being clenched as a reasonable justification for putting hands on her. He likely grabbed her wrist thinking she was going to hit him, but no one knows if she would have actually hit him. I can see him wanting to de-escalate the situation, but grabbing her probably wasn't the best play there.

Fwiw, the charging both parties info came from a Florida attorney.
You're right, he probably didn't make the best decision by grabbing her wrist, but getting caught up in a situation like that and being only 19 I guess I can't blame him for wanting to defend himself from what looked like a possible punch to the face.

I know I said I would bow out yesterday, and I should probably stay away because this stuff makes my blood boil but I did have another chance to look at the video and sleep on it, and I still don't understand how anyone could hold her so much as one tenth of one percent responsible for this. I just don't get it. What I missed yesterday when I saw the video, is that he physically grabbed and attempted to subdue her, after shoving his way forward and into her, before she ever raised a fist. By the time she raised a fist, he had physically bullied her several times, laying his hands on her first, last of which was in the form of restraining her with his hands. She didn't attempt to raise a fist until several physical actions came from him first. He laid his hands on her first and was trying to over power her by the time she retaliated. I don't get how anyone could see all that, and defend what he did.

Now having said all that, I admit this is a hot button issue for me. Everyone has their hot button issues, this is mine. I believe unless your life is in danger, or said woman has a weapon of sorts, you just don't hit women. It's not negotiable for me. I also bet he is going to apologize and admit 100% fault, and I am all for second chances and I hope he gets one some day somewhere. I don't want to see his life ruined by this.
At the 12-14 second mark you can see that she sticks out her left leg from keeping him trying to get to the bar. That right there to me shows that she was the instigator. DJ didn't do anything to warrant her keeping him from the bar by sticking her leg out.

He did not admit 100% fault. He said he didnt want to make excuses ,while making excuses...

Probably not the best decision

You're right, he probably didn't make the best decision by grabbing her wrist, but getting caught up in a situation like that and being only 19 I guess I can't blame him for wanting to defend himself from what looked like a possible punch to the face.

It doesnt matter who instigated it or what happened leading up to it. He punched her. The action is unacceptable under any normal circumstance.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT