ADVERTISEMENT

DC options

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but regardless of where people stand with the notion of getting rid of Chinander, I’m just curious to see a list of names that could be “realistic” replacements.

Ready? go!

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but regardless of where people stand with the notion of getting rid of the spread offense of HCSF. I’m just curious to see a list of names that could be “realistic” replacements.

Ready? go!

I fixed it for you.

1 more year no questions asked. But a guy like Brian Baker or Sal Sunseri should be in Moos drawer should Frost ask for advisement.

Reactions: shocksker
Don’t waste your breath. He’ll get at least 4 years. And by then none of us are going to have any hair left.
Jeremy Pruitt if he gets fired, Jim Leavitt, or we can try to poach Oregon or Wisconsin's DC. None of them would be cheap but these are guys who have proven they can put together top level college defenses. If we want to compete on the national stage, we need to be at least top 10 in coordinator salaries. I don't think we're anywhere close to that right now.

Or we can take a shot at an NFL guy or someone from a lower level school. We're never going to have consistent good defenses under Chinander so I don't see the point in sticking with him.

Reactions: shocksker
Jeremy Pruitt if he gets fired, Jim Leavitt, or we can try to poach Oregon or Wisconsin's DC. None of them would be cheap but these are guys who have proven they can put together top level college defenses. If we want to compete on the national stage, we need to be at least top 10 in coordinator salaries. I don't think we're anywhere close to that right now.

Or we can take a shot at an NFL guy or someone from a lower level school. We're never going to have consistent good defenses under Chinander so I don't see the point in sticking with him.

People said we’d never win with McBride as a DC also, Chins D was a leader in forcing TO’s at UCF, we’ve seen spurts of it at NU but nothing consistent, I think turning over the staff, yet again would be a huge mistake.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but regardless of where people stand with the notion of getting rid of Chinander, I’m just curious to see a list of names that could be “realistic” replacements.

Ready? go!

Firing coaches will NOT be the answer to our problems. When you fire coaches year after year you just stunt the development of the players since they are having to learn a new scheme every year or different techniques every year. If we bring in new coaches it's because they took a job elsewhere.

After a few more years if our D continues to struggle we can get a new guy. Firing a DC when we don't even have the right players yet to run their 3-4 only makes things worse long-term.

Firing coaches will NOT be the answer to our problems. When you fire coaches year after year you just stunt the development of the players since they are having to learn a new scheme every year or different techniques every year. If we bring in new coaches it's because they took a job elsewhere.

After a few more years if our D continues to struggle we can get a new guy. Firing a DC when we don't even have the right players yet to run their 3-4 only makes things worse long-term.

Someone should tell PJ Fleck that. He fired his defensive coordinator at this point in his 2nd season at Minnesota, and has gone 11-1 ever since.

Alabama and Ohio State pretty much have an entire new assistant coaching staff every year. That's what happens when you hire great assistants, they get promoted to head coaching and coordinator positions.

People said we’d never win with McBride as a DC also, Chins D was a leader in forcing TO’s at UCF, we’ve seen spurts of it at NU but nothing consistent, I think turning over the staff, yet again would be a huge mistake.
I don't think McBride ever had a defense as bad as Chinander's has been going on 2 years now. His defenses at UCF weren't very good either even with some really good NFL talent. Some guys have it, some guys don't. Chinander has had more than enough opportunity to show something, anything to prove he's worth keeping. He hasn't done that in his entire 4 years as a DC. I think keeping a guy around who's not performing and is never going to get any better is a huge mistake.

I don't think McBride ever had a defense as bad as Chinander's has been going on 2 years now. His defenses at UCF weren't very good either even with some really good NFL talent. Some guys have it, some guys don't. Chinander has had more than enough opportunity to show something, anything to prove he's worth keeping. He hasn't done that in his entire 4 years as a DC. I think keeping a guy around who's not performing and is never going to get any better is a huge mistake.

From his bio...

A trademark of Chinander’s UCF defense was creating takeaways. The Knights forced 58 turnovers in 26 games under Chinander, ranking second nationally in takeaways in 2017 and 18th in 2016. The 58 takeaways over the 2016 and 2017 seasons combined ranked third nationally. UCF was one of only six teams to force 25 turnovers both seasons and one of just eight teams to rank in the top 20 nationally in takeaways in both 2016 and 2017.

In helping the Knights to a perfect 13-0 season and a conference title in 2017, Chinander’s defense played a major role in the first perfect season in school and American Athletic Conference history. UCF led the AAC in defensive touchdowns and ranked third in the AAC in scoring defense and pass efficiency defense.

Reactions: bshirt73

What players have actually developed in 2 years under this staff? Lamar Jackson of all people is the only player I can think of who's actually gotten better on this current roster.

A few years and then move on from him? No thanks. At that point Frost will be firmly on the hot seat. Might as well rip the bandaid off now and get some actual power 5 experience on the staff.

But, I know that’s not likely to happen. Frost will go down with Chinander most likely.

Wisconsin's DC is a Wisconsin grad. He isn't leaving willingly unless its for the NFL. Only way he ends up at another Big 10 school is if he gets fired first.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Wisconsin's DC is a Wisconsin grad. He isn't leaving willingly unless its for the NFL. Only way he ends up at another Big 10 school is if he gets fired first.
Either way make an offer and force Wisconsin to give him a hefty raise.

Someone should tell PJ Fleck that. He fired his defensive coordinator at this point in his 2nd season at Minnesota, and has gone 11-1 ever since.

Alabama and Ohio State pretty much have an entire new assistant coaching staff every year. That's what happens when you hire great assistants, they get promoted to head coaching and coordinator positions.

That was a staff promotion. What so many of the Fire, fire, fire crap people keep posting after every game is about a total overhaul of the defensive staff because you would bring in a DC. A good DC doesn't come without ability to pick his own staff.

Fleck promoted a staff member already on staff and just replaced said promoted staff member with a position coach. What people keep pounding their head on the wall for is not the same thing that Fleck did.

Steve Belichick
Are you sure about that?
1127192975.jpg.0.jpg

Last edited:
What players have actually developed in 2 years under this staff? Lamar Jackson of all people is the only player I can think of who's actually gotten better on this current roster.
He played like shit this past weekend

Ready? go!
It isn't to that point yet but if/ when it does. Frost needs to go after the best D coordinator in the country and pay him whatever he wants. So tired of the, lets bring all my friends along for the ride with me. Most of the time many have little to no experience or business being D1 coaches. As we know friends as coaches don't usually work out well here.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Is it the DC? Or position coaches? Or talent? Everyone’s yelling about lack of talent, and if that’s the case, why doesn’t he and / or the position coaches get a pass? BP looked like a genius when he had a bunch of NFL talent on D, but when they graduated, meh. None of the position groups on the D look like they have improved. Is that on Chin, or the position coaches? On a blitz, why is the LB coming in 2 seconds after the snap and then why is he running right into a lineman to be blocked instead of trying to get around the lineman? Is that on Chin or position coaches? Why can’t d line get off of blocks? Is that on chin or position coaches?

Is it the DC? Or position coaches? Or talent? Everyone’s yelling about lack of talent, and if that’s the case, why doesn’t he and / or the position coaches get a pass? BP looked like a genius when he had a bunch of NFL talent on D, but when they graduated, meh. None of the position groups on the D look like they have improved. Is that on Chin, or the position coaches? On a blitz, why is the LB coming in 2 seconds after the snap and then why is he running right into a lineman to be blocked instead of trying to get around the lineman? Is that on Chin or position coaches? Why can’t d line get off of blocks? Is that on chin or position coaches?
What were those players doing before Bo got here? None of them did shit under Cosgrove. If I was a DC, I'd make sure my position coaches were teaching the skills needed to get off blocks and know where they're going so they can be in the right position. The DC generally has authority over any of the position coaches, so if the whole defense looks bad and not just any one position group, that's probably on the DC.

From his bio...

A trademark of Chinander’s UCF defense was creating takeaways. The Knights forced 58 turnovers in 26 games under Chinander, ranking second nationally in takeaways in 2017 and 18th in 2016. The 58 takeaways over the 2016 and 2017 seasons combined ranked third nationally. UCF was one of only six teams to force 25 turnovers both seasons and one of just eight teams to rank in the top 20 nationally in takeaways in both 2016 and 2017.

In helping the Knights to a perfect 13-0 season and a conference title in 2017, Chinander’s defense played a major role in the first perfect season in school and American Athletic Conference history. UCF led the AAC in defensive touchdowns and ranked third in the AAC in scoring defense and pass efficiency defense.

Excellent post sir. I've always really liked his aggressive style of defense. Even as marginal as they've been sometimes this year are they really worse than our offense? Worse than our kicking/punting game? Nope, I don't think so......

Ready? go!
Is there even a defensive coordinator who has experience and has always had good defenses and has never been fired? The nature of the job is you are at the mercy of so many other things...recruiting, offense, special teams. Chin has been disrespected in every way because he is forced to watch an offense run an uptempo spread that is inefficient and can't score, while watching the worst kickoff team in America force them to start every drive at the 35, and then watch a punter kick line drives so his punting average is over 40...we have been raped in the field position battle this year...which according to urban meyer is the #1 most important indicator of success outside of turnovers. This thread is basically two idiots putting forth idiotic options for DC, while talking about their weak hearts. Get a life and understand the game before you talk about firing a husker coach.

Reactions: bshirt73
Sorry but TOP was almost even against Indiana. TOP is not a good excuse. Now the field position problem is just that a problem. However much of that is the defense not getting any three and outs either. Not sure you can blame that on the other side of the ball!

I've been saying for months here either we have the "football dumbest " players in all of division 1, or we have the dumbest coaches.

Is there even a defensive coordinator who has experience and has always had good defenses and has never been fired? The nature of the job is you are at the mercy of so many other things...recruiting, offense, special teams. Chin has been disrespected in every way because he is forced to watch an offense run an uptempo spread that is inefficient and can't score, while watching the worst kickoff team in America force them to start every drive at the 35, and then watch a punter kick line drives so his punting average is over 40...we have been raped in the field position battle this year...which according to urban meyer is the #1 most important indicator of success outside of turnovers. This thread is basically two idiots putting forth idiotic options for DC, while talking about their weak hearts. Get a life and understand the game before you talk about firing a husker coach.
A lot of defensive players are on special teams, and the problems we have on special teams reflect a lot of the same problems we have on defense. The missed tackles and not knowing where guys are supposed to be on defense are the same things we see from our kick return and punt coverage teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT